Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving this game another shot as I didnt really when I started

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
So I bought this when it released however never really gave it a proper shot. How do you trade in this game. I am so used to the wow - ish auction houses I have no idea?
How is the game dong now. I heard it had an expansion pack released and is it too late to get into the game?

Lastly is there enough variety at end game with the talent specs options or is it like you have to spec like this as nothing else is viable (hope this makes sense?)

Comments

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    edited June 2017
    Nothing is to late. No matter where you go you allways will see or find players unlike if you start over in wow..then its desolate solo game. unless you use that power boost.

Trading is a bit more complex here..there is not only one AH but several located in each town like an market place or bazar.

Then you can join up to 5 guilds on same time and each guild has ther own npc ah located in random towns. an di think that changes every week or so. Depends on how much your guild spends on the npc AH system.

When you are member of 1 guild then you go to the bank in any town and speak with a given npc that gives you the option to store stuff in ur own bank vault or sell your loot in the guildstore "AH"

Its like the real world..if you need shoes or cloth then you visit different towns and stores to find the best and cheapest ;)

So no linked AH here

or you can post ur stuff in the WTT channel or WTS channel.

I can only suggest you to try eso again and wait with the expansion packs until you get around lvl 50 cap and get 160 cp vet levels.

and there are guides on youtube telling you what to spend skill points on, but they also say you should not copy em 100 '% because it depends on how you like to play and what is best for you to to survive or dps

I follow alcast on youtube because he has a site with guides and builds for most class if not all.
    LucienRene

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I find the builds so confusing. 
    Very deep system for progressing skills its easy to spend points in the wrong thing is it not?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DonY81 said:
    Very deep system for progressing skills its easy to spend points in the wrong thing is it not?
    Yup. Bu they can be undone and redone for in-game gold.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DonY81 said:
    So I bought this when it released however never really gave it a proper shot. How do you trade in this game. I am so used to the wow - ish auction houses I have no idea? <snip>
    Regarding trading:

As the game uses mega-servers - meaning you could be playing with tens, probably hundreds of thousands, maybe over a million people - a global AH isn't feasible. Lots of people searching on a multi-million item database would result in lots of client-server data = performance hit + people complaining that it takes an age to search and sort.

So the process of selling has been devolved to guilds- as mentioned you can join up to 5.

So step 1 is to join a guild.

Step 2: Each guild has an "guild trader" who will allow you to list items. By default the items listed can only be seen by other members of the guild. So if the guild has 132 members then 131 people can look at your items. (People not characters). The guild leader will also set the % that goes into guild funds.

Step 3: Guilds can - if they wish - send their traders forth into the world; to occupy one of the many trading locations that exist. Securing a location comes at a cost however. Every week "the locals" auction the trading locations. A guild can submit only 1 bid and the highest bid wins. Locations that are remote and not very busy command lower prices, those popular locations far higher prices.

The result:

I have been in guilds that have managed to win spots for as low as 80k - and lose out at around that price. The figures for popular locations can be very high indeed. And if a guild is spending 80k - a week - then the guild trader must sell 800k of items say if the guild takes 10% or 1.6M if the guild only takes 5%.

Needless to say you will come across:
    a) guilds dedicated to trading that will insist that all members generate sales of X per week.
    b) guild chat along the lines of "come on folks if we want a trader then everyone needs to donate to the guild bank so we have enough money to win an auction for a location.

"Trading Guilds" - guilds that put a lot of focus on Trading - can get very serious indeed. And potentially stressful for those running them.

There is a Trading sub-culture. A lot of price monitoring - there are add-ons. Some people in "trade guilds" will make sweeps of traders in less popular locations to see if they can find "cheap" items that they can resell on their "prime location" trader.

This is not why I play ESO I will add! When I want to play a mercantile game - well there are some excellent single player games out there. And the reality is you don't "need" to buy anything!

It does give you some idea of how active the game is however. "Guild X now recruiting, N million sales a week" you might hear in chat. The numbers given can be very large indeed.

GdemamiKyleran
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Torval said:
    DonY81 said:

The builds can be confusing. I used to try and do Deltia's builds, but I never had everything I needed and getting all the pieces together wasn't fun.

I get better success here discussing ideas with Iselin and other ESO players. So what I do now is read those builds to try and understand what works and why then I try and apply those same concepts to my available skills and what I like to use. I do try and experiment with different skills, but mostly I pick what works for me.
    In many ways, in the open world most anything works build wise, as long as you're fitting into the main frame of what you want to do. Using stamina morphs for stam builds, having the ability to self-buff, etc.

I find AlcastHQ pretty helpful, although he builds for end game trials. However, it's a good starting point and then making your own adjustments for survivability. My stamina nightblade uses something similar to Alcast's build, except I haven't leveled the PvP skills yet, so I am using nightblade skills that aren't as good, but can fill in the supplemental role.
    [Deleted User]
    Kaneth said:

I find AlcastHQ pretty helpful, although he builds for end game trials. However, it's a good starting point and then making your own adjustments for survivability. My stamina nightblade uses something similar to Alcast's build, except I haven't leveled the PvP skills yet, so I am using nightblade skills that aren't as good, but can fill in the supplemental role.
    Alcast is good but back when Deltia was doing it he was much better, especially for people new to the game, because he didn't just do end-game builds. He also did 1-15, 15-25 and 25-50 builds with videos showing low-level play.

It's what I also focus on when the mood strikes me and I do a guide. It's the new players who need help the most.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2017
    Torval said:
    Kaneth said:
    Torval said:
    DonY81 said:

The builds can be confusing. I used to try and do Deltia's builds, but I never had everything I needed and getting all the pieces together wasn't fun.

I get better success here discussing ideas with Iselin and other ESO players. So what I do now is read those builds to try and understand what works and why then I try and apply those same concepts to my available skills and what I like to use. I do try and experiment with different skills, but mostly I pick what works for me.
    In many ways, in the open world most anything works build wise, as long as you're fitting into the main frame of what you want to do. Using stamina morphs for stam builds, having the ability to self-buff, etc.

For standard mobs and quests I agree most anything does work. The bosses and Dolmans can require a bit more.

Last night while farming the Necrotic set I ran into a Dolman and got to the last round and couldn't finish it off. My warden is level 20 and this is the time and situation when I start reading what other people do. I just may not have the tools (or skill) at 20 to solo that dolman so I like to compare what has been working for me with what works for min/maxers to see if I can put something better together.
    Was magicka an issue for you toward the end of the Dolmen? That blue betty you don't have yet @ 20 makes all the difference in the world for magicka regen.

Also, for tough content where you know you'll be getting hit a lot, Living Vines comes in handy because it heals you every time you take damage.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yeah the game is okay but I don't really like the fact they didn't add a lot of stuff to the cosmetics side of the game it still lacks a lot of cosmetic features the game could have like Cash Shop items, armors from other "Elder Scrolls Series" and housing seems like its still kinda pointless because they don't serve a very good function for example you can't grow or harvest Herbs, or have a mine to mine materials and such like "Arche Age", or let alone a house that goes into a cavern with Ore Spawns for example.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One thing about the AH.  I like the way GW2 does it.  I carry viewing and selling link with me.  That way It's easy to sell stuff for inventory management.  It's like the modern equivalent of being able to use your cellphone to view online stores, check out prices and even order and have them delivered to you.  

Of course, most MMO's do this with their cash shops.  The cash shops are always easily accessible from the UI and purchases get delivered to you with mail.  Not to mention popups about sales.  This would be great for player AH's, which GW2 does partly.  

SWG did both with an AH that allowed you to search for goods across the verse even if it meant you would have to go to their home planet to pick them up.  Then you could go to their merchant shop and browse everything they had.  Plus they advertised and held auctions on the merchant forums. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Torval said:

Now I have to decide if I'm going to run back and help the Scarlet Judge or not. How can I leave these people in the middle of a bloodfiend epidemic? That would be heartless, but the Scarlet Judge is counting on me.
    I love that zone story in Rivenspire.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED