Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP Lead Brian Holinka Leaving WoW Team - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imagePvP Lead Brian Holinka Leaving WoW Team - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Controversial PvP Lead Brian Holinka is leaving the World of Warcraft team to pursue another opportunity within the company. He has been with the WoW team for five years and is the latest in a string of senior developers to leave the team.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Let's just hope he's not in charge of PvP wherever he lands. Legion PvP, unless you're one of the few decent classes / specs, is in the garbage can.
    OhhPaigeyXingbairongbcbullyAlomarCazrielCoolitScellowForgrimmViper482G4NK3Dand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    SBFord said:
    Let's just hope he's not in charge of PvP wherever he lands. Legion PvP, unless you're one of the few decent classes / specs, is in the garbage can.
    has been for years
    Phixion13ScellowG4NK3D
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Thank god.. put him on something where he has no say in anything.
    klash2defScellowDinastyG4NK3D
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

SBFord said:

But ... Raid rotations yo!
    Wraithone

You stay sassy!

• PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Oh this is fantastic news. This guy is the destroyer of PVP and ruined World of Warcraft PVP for me. I miss Draenor so much after what this guy did. Legion PVE content is great but the PVP was a nightmare.

Worst of all Holinka never listened to the players and would do the opposite of what we would request.
    AlomarG4NK3D
    Oh this is fantastic news. This guy is the destroyer of PVP and ruined World of Warcraft PVP for me. I miss Draenor so much after what this guy did. Legion PVE content is great but the PVP was a nightmare.

Worst of all Holinka never listened to the players and would do the opposite of what we would request.
    Templates on paper looked great. In practice, they were awful and removed any individuality for players.

klash2defG4NK3DWraithone

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

Templates on paper looked great. In practice, they were awful and removed any individuality for players.

They also seemed to nerf/buff just too much. It was like a roller coaster ride. Every other patch your class might become irrelevant.
    Octagon7711G4NK3DWraithone
    edited June 2017
    Exactly @Prescience -- rather than tune individual over- / under-powered skills, it was always a flat % increase / decrease to stats. Tuning through stats doesn't solve the underlying issues.

When Legion started, my frost DK was great -- fantastic, in fact. Then hit by the bat and....awful. It's stayed that way, though 7.2.5 seems to have brought it back a bit but...meh. I have hardly PvP'd at all this expansion, something that has never happened in all the years I've played WoW. It's like I'm only playing half a game without it but I just will not in its current state.
    [Deleted User]Wraithone

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I don't know if it's fair to blame him entirely when he's part of a team but I do know that the changes to PvP in Legion obliterated my desire to play.
    OhhPaigeyG4NK3D

Tyr216 said:
    I don't know if it's fair to blame him entirely when he's part of a team but I do know that the changes to PvP in Legion obliterated my desire to play.
    I don't blame him entirely, but he is the Lead PvP Designer. Ultimately, he is the one who drives the direction of that aspect of the game, though Hazzikostas gives the ultimate go-ahead. This tragedy of Legion PvP is a team effort. :|
    XingbairongScellowG4NK3DShodanas

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Tyr216 said:

He had the power to fix the issues and the majority of players were asking, begging even, for changes.
    G4NK3D
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited June 2017
    Thank %&$@ that guy is leaving.
    Legion has been an overall nightmare, but the PvP tops the shitometer.
    In previous expansions whenever you had nothing else to do(or you didn't want to do anything) there was always PvP which has always been more or less fun, but this expansion... I don't think PvP can get any shitier.
    What was worse because of the limitation of classes and specs you could play because of the genius artifact system PvP became even more impossible to play, because while in older expansions you could just switch to another class/spec if your current class/spec was shit in Legion you don't have that option because up till basically last week it was close to imposible to keep an alt "up to date".
    The option to buy 40 artifact knowldege salvages the situation a bit, but I think it's a little too late.

Honestly can't wait for Secret World Legends to come out. When it launches next week I just might leave my sub to expire which hasn't happened in... well since WoW launched.

I really hope Blizzard actually reads forums and feedback from players and realise how horrible this expansion is and hopefully they will scrap Argus and just release the next expansion with the artifact system removed or completely overhauled.
    I know @Xingbairong -- as a primary tank, I was committed to Maw of the Damned on my Blood DK. Try that in PvP...LOL. It meant that the few times I -did- play, I was woefully undertuned on Blades of the Fallen Prince because of putting most of my AP into Maw since that's what I play most of the time.
    [Deleted User]Xingbairong

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Texas7Texas7 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Holinka didn't do worse than other devs. At least he tried to do some changes. PvP in WoW has never been balanced and it will never be. To me the best PvP was the long battles in vanilla Alterac Valley. I also enjoyed WIntergrasp. PvP was fun back then, but never ever even close to being balanced.
    klash2defBartDaCat
    Join our community on:

Ashes of Creation: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Archangelus/

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Can't make people happy that think a minigame is the most important part of WoW. Might as well get mad Triple Triad isn't the main focus of FFXIV.
    klash2def

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Please, WoW pvp was shit way before this guy came along. It pretty much went down hill as soon as they switched the focus from Bg's to that garbage e-sport arena nonsense. After that is was always flavor of the month class/spec combos. As successful as this game has been, it is kind of sad that most of the old school players feel like the game was far better 10 years ago than it is now.
    hallucigenocide
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

Texas7 said:

Holinka didn't do worse than other devs. At least he tried to do some changes. PvP in WoW has never been balanced and it will never be. To me the best PvP was the long battles in vanilla Alterac Valley. I also enjoyed WIntergrasp. PvP was fun back then, but never ever even close to being balanced.

Wintergrasp and to a lesser extent Tol Barad and Arena during Cataclysm was the last time I had fun in PvP. Well, AV holidays (PLEASE BRING THEM BACK) were ok (but only just ok) during MoP, too.
    AlomarCoolit
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Crying over Gear Centric PVP!!!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The patch that removed mana drain and took hero out of arenas was the beginning of the end.
    Coolit
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SBFord said:
    To be fair is not really PvP something Wow ever have been famous for, it have always been in the backseat, Wow is designed for PvE and there is where all it's best parts have been. 

I am not really sure how you could intergrate really good PvP into Wows mechanics, it just isn't made for it and you would need to change a lot base mechanics to really make it good. Already in the mid 2000s most of the people who played Wow played other games like Guildwars (or for that matter FPS games) when they really wanted to PvP.

Blizzard made the call (and it was clearly the right one) to put all the focus on PvE, both mechanic and content wise when they made the game. Blaming this poor guy who took over rather late is a bit harsh.
    klash2def[Deleted User]
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Why are people pretending like WoW PVP was ever good? 
    klash2def
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited June 2017

Why are people pretending like WoW PVP was ever good? 

I'd have to argue that vanilla Wow pvp was pretty damn decent. If gear was fairly even (but pre-NAX) there was a pretty good diversity of class balance at least for a minimum one spec per class.

I recently played just over a year of vanilla Wow and the skill cap for some classes is quite high to master in pvp (I'm talking about the really good players) and it was the one time where Wow still had a semblance of rock/paper/scissor which demanded group tactics to at least a degree before Wow turned into itself into an everyone has everything game. Classes were built around using all abilities in small scale, dynamic game play for open world pve and pvp encounters ... which is why they sucked with one button raiding back then.

If Blizzard had the balls to turn vanilla Wow into a real open world pvp game it would have been a masterpiece. Vanilla Wow emulators largely only exist because of the pvp crowd wanting to play the game at the only time open world pvp mattered to at least some degree (well over 90% of total players across all servers exist on pvp servers). Sadly it's focus was flawed and it only got worse for the pvp crowd.

Blizzard brained washed it's largest possible audience moving forward into thinking a game called "WARcraft" was a pve game and fully converted to it. Youth has no hindsight and few of the newer generation ever played the original games.
    [Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Rhoklaw said:

Since WoW launched, PvP has been nothing but a rotation of nerf bats under the ruse that PvP was being balanced. PvP in WoW is and never will be balanced folks. They just keep classes on the carousel and eventually, your class's nerf cycles returns once again.

Thats actually incorrect. There was a time where BG's and pvp currency didnt exist, yet we would still go out and look for good fights. I remember Ashenvale in particular. Its funny how things are different when there is nothing to gain or lose, only fun to be had.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Its incredibly frustrating to watch people rage at PvP in WoW, when its the only thing WoW still has that is amazing, imo.

1: The new prestige system is fantastic.
    2: The Brawls are incredibly fun.
    3: The reward system is refreshing, the way we can now collect marks and buy older gearsets for mog.
    4: We can Obliterate some gear and buy upgraded missing pieces with echoes.
    5: Elite uniqe gear is still only for the ranked players.

I love PvP in WoW atm, I think it has, hands now, never been better designed and yes I have played WoW since its release.

What ever happens to the individual classes, I dont really care for tbh. I have always played the underdog class and spec and its remained so in the entirety of WoW.
    Being OP in PvP is terribly boring, doing fun things with a class and spec that nobody expects to be a challenge is however not boring.

Kinda tired of the way these ragesessions, players have every single PvP season, always just ends up forcing Blizzard to make changes again again again and then another crowd rise to the occasion and complain their hearts out once the new changes are made.

Just stop really.

Play to have fun, stop caring if you die easy or if you feel you cant kill anything, everybody will make a difference in PvP as much as the next guy.

We finally have a brilliant PvP design and system and now people will complain until its taken away again.

This is why we cant have nice things....
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Hire the old vanilla WoW devs. Let them rebuild the game starting from vanilla. You had a gem of an MMO and you made a hack'n'slash loot fest ffs...