Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which IP would make the best MMO

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Elric of Melnibone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné

That would be a world worth playing in!

-------------------

Also, the world of Thomas Covenant would be a great setting for an MMORPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant

karter64

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Dakeru said:
    A good IP is in no way a guarantee to build "the best mmo"
    I 100 % agree with this. 
    But if it did i would love to see a Arcanum of steamworks & magick obscura mmo.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    1) Warhammer

The western world doesn't do high fantasy very well. For some reason, our imagination is very much stuck in the 80s with things like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance etc. Warhammer seems to be one of the few high fantasy creations that has managed to evolve and stay contemporary. 

Tons of lore, loads of factions, magic, weapons, gods, diversity....war! It has an awful lot of good stuff going for it, the only real downside imo is the IP doesn't really appeal to women. 

2) Star Wars

There is an absolutely crazy amount of ideas for Star Wars that the IP could be used to create an awesome MMO. SW:TOR is exceedingly shallow and one-dimensional, yet through the IP alone it managed to get enough customers to stay open for years. Imagine what would happen if we actually had a good game!

3) Assassins Creed

Already designed as a sandbox experience with factional pvp, crafting, player bases etc. Huge fanbase. You can pick almost any time period and any location and make it work in the context of assassins vs templars. We could really open up a lot of politics and interesting side games and make this an amazingly social game. 

4) Warhammer 40k

I would probably opt for a combat system similar to Gears of War, keep it very "visceral". As with warhammer, tons of lore, characters, stories etc to draw upon. Loads of races, weapons, vehicles, space stuff. The variety of locations would be insane too, from dark jungles to deserts, cities, inside hives, alien worlds, subterranean nests etc. I would probably opt for the focus to be RvR on a massive scale - literally taking over whole planets for your faction. 

5) Deus Ex

These games have always taken me a while to get into, but the progression systems, settings, stealth etc are all really great. Dystopian futures tend to struggle to grab the general public for some reason though, I'm hoping the Deus Ex brand would be enough to make it a success. 

As everyone else has said though, gameplay is king. You need deep, engaging gameplay systems first, but those gameplay systems need to match the expectations set by the IP. For example, you wouldn't want to boot up a Mario MMO, only to find a slow-paced, tab-target style combat system. 

I'm also of the opinion that building on an existing IP is better than developing a brand new IP. Obviously an IP has to be invented by someone first at some point, but I don't think the MMO space is the correct one to do it in. A good MMO aims to keep you entertained for years, but a sub-par IP is likely to drive you away quite quickly. I would rather pick an IP with an existing and loyal fanbase so that I could ensure there will always be a loyal, dedicated core to my community. 
    FrodoFragins
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Warhammer for me. :)
    FrodoFragins
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Pokemon

• m1tchkm1tchk Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Cyberpunk ^^
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    GI Joe

Masters of the Universe

Transformers

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Forrest Gump

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Vampire: Bloodlines
    Game of Thrones
    Dune
    The Prophecy (from the movie)
    Supernatural (from the TV series)
    Deus Ex
    Space: 1999
    Dr Who

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2017
    Dragon Rider's of Pern.  

Would be like Rifts invasions (or Tabula Rasa) with the entire server having to be concerned about repelling thread falls.

Trick is threadfall has to be a very real and damaging threat, one that if players don't band together to combat proves to be very damaging to everyone, no avoiding it otherwise.

Territory control a la EVE with alliances taking charge of home defense and attempting to sabatoge the efforts of others.

PVP of course,but there should be a npc zone which offered players similar safety nets against rampant ganking.

Dragon taming could be limited to only players willing to permanently die trying after completing the necessary training.

Yes, risk and consequences for failure, but the rewards of flying and fighting would be too.

Not everyone can or should be Dragon riders so it would include a variety of support occupations including crafting, governing, trade and even ground support troops for when thread makes landfall.

Hmm, come to think of it, just add thread invasions to EVE you are part way there.

But EVE would be far better if the Sleepers took on the war of extinction against all life as in the Berserker Wars.
    Relampagokarter64

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'd still prefer something original, but if I had to choose an existing IP, I'd want something that hasn't been done to death already.

So my suggested IPs would include:  Ringworld.  Dinotopia.  Ghostbusters.  For a game that hasn't been done already, I'd think an MMORPG adaptation of Gamma World could be interesting.
    waynejr2GladDogkarter64

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NPCPakNPCPak Member UncommonPosts: 36
    What IP I'd chose to make the best MMO? .hack, of course.

I'd like to bring back platforming, hub worlds and unique expansive themed-zones for a MMO... something like the .hack series but more up-to-date. A lot of their entries had interesting ideas of having quests to build your own story, quests that are like events in "The World" where if you completed it, you'd be the hero, or someone special... something that not everyone can be. 
    (NPCPak) Nobukon
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    I would play a mmo in narutoverse, it has all the skill lore any game would ever need, if they just followed the lore and made gameplay accordingly it would be one incredible ride.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series would be a perfect mmo setting. The economy is perfect, crafting is amazing, the world is beyond anything anyone has ever created, and being able to pull from the larger Cosmere would open up sooooo much content. I really can't think of a better setting for an mmo. 
     I've been here a while...
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Or an mmo in The Witcher universe could be amazing as long as we weren't all on the same power level as Geralt or Witcher's in general. 
     I've been here a while...
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Starcraft. 
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    edited June 2017
    After playing a lot of TW:WH I'd have to say Warhammer is #1 if done well.

After that: Silmarillion based Middle Earth, Star Wars (A new hope and later), Wheel of Time, and a fleshed out Diablo Universe
    The Wheel of Time would be a great IP for an MMO.  Its already got the factions (Whitecloaks, Seanchan, Freemen, Dark friends, Aiel, etc...)  Classes could include your basic fighter which can rank up to Heronmark Swordsman, Aes Sedai of all the different Ajahs, Bards, Rangers...it goes on and on
    Post edited by Lasterba on
    RelampagomgilbrtsnMrMelGibson
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    Exactly. Gameplay trumps everyhing.
    You two should go to your favorite game's cash shop and purchase a +10 potion of reading comprehension.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]forcelimaMrMelGibson

edited June 2017
    • Naruto - It just perfectly fits for MMORPG (all skill systems explained, schools, nations, factions, don't have to be "the one", lore spans generations)
    • Borderlands - Mercenaries, Skills, Plenty of weapons, open world. Never understood how this wasn't a thing (in United States).
    • Dune - So much can be done with this, serious and mature themes.. Starter Worlds. Arrakis can be OWPVP and fight over spice. Factions, plenty of lore that spans generations.
    • Phantasy Star - This needs to be revisited... correctly.
    +1 Dune

Personally....Wild, Wild, West. (not the Will Smith crap-fest)

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    You two should go to your favorite game's cash shop and purchase a +10 potion of reading comprehension.
    I'm pretty sure I read everything correctly.
    And your random attacks are dull and tell me that you suffer from a lot of self hatred.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017
    Mass Effect has enough Lore and diversity for a MMORPG.
    Though I wouldn't trust EA making another MMORPG.
    Mind you, I doubt they can do any worse than ME: Andromeda.

Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    I'm pretty sure I read everything correctly.
    And your random attacks are dull and tell me that you suffer from a lot of self hatred.
    He asked for opinions about what IP people think would make the best MMO, not you or Kano's uninformed pseudo-theories about what makes successful games.

Get a clue.

mgilbrtsn

OG_Zorvan said:
    Planet of the Apes.

4 factions right off the top.

Apes
    Humans
    Mutants
    Apes/human/mutant collective
    Only if flinging poo is a skill-line.  :*
    GladDogNyghthowlercameltosis

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    OG_Zorvan said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Planet of the Apes.

4 factions right off the top.

Apes
    Humans
    Mutants
    Apes/human/mutant collective
    Only if flinging poo is a skill-line.  :*
    Also to clarify, the original PotA storyline, i.e. nuclear friggin' annihilation, not the simian flu crap.
    Maybe they could add zombies?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    World of Darkness. Easily.