Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs with Animal Taming?

mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
One of my favorite things to do back in Ultima Online was animal taming. It took forever, but being able to tame dragons was worth it. Any other MMOs out there that have a system like this? Only game I can think of that's similar is Ark.
Kyleran

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2017
    mcrippins said:
    One of my favorite things to do back in Ultima Online was animal taming. It took forever, but being able to tame dragons was worth it. Any other MMOs out there that have a system like this? Only game I can think of that's similar is Ark.
    SWG was the only other MMO I know of with taming like UO's. In BDO however you can tame horses. 
    TsiyaMrMelGibson

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    It wasn't an MMO, but Neverwinter Nights had the druid and ranger classes with tame beast and lull. (NWN2 as well, but wasn't as effective.) Overall a great combat system actually, I'm disappointed that no-one ever adopted much of it. 

May be a thing in D&D online, I've never bothered with the druid too far. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2017
    Lineage 1 you could tame wild dogs, shepherds and dobermans as I recall.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited June 2017
    In Dofus you can tame and breed dragoturkeys, but, it's not intended to be a solo activity; capturing wild ones is all but impossible solo, and you pretty much have to be a guildmaster to own a turkey training field.  Unless they've changed it substantially from when I bred dragoturkeys several years ago.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    EvE online, because until you truly try to tame a Slaver *(https://community.eveonline.com/backstory/chronicles/slaver/) you havenm't tried anything :) .. unless of course you trying to train Minmatar - why just train animals when you train a whole race of people :)
    Manasu

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Conan Exiles, where you can catch an NPC and make him/her your slave. Just treat him/her like an animal and you're good to go.
    ManasuMrMelGibson

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Dragnelus said:
    You do tame a lot of mounts and pets in that game.  They do everything they can think of to make you use the cash shop.  It's also on Steam.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Can't think of any MMORPGS unless something like ARK or Creativerse count as an MMORPG. Can think of afew SP games like Wayward, Forsaken isle etc but none really that count as an MMORPG. Oh, there is RIders of Icarus if you want to put up with Nexon.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

GW2 Ranger is fun.  Lots of pets all over the game world to find and tame, most with different abilities.  You also get some rare pets if you have completed certain achievements in GW1.  
    Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Didn't WOW Hunters used to tame animals in the wild?
    Octagon7711

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Kyleran said:
    I can remember hunting/taming those spectral beasts

edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Yes, and their rare animals can take a long time to find.  Battle pets, mounts, flying mounts, ultra rare mounts,  lots of tamable pets.

Now that I think about it.  Archage has a pretty good pet system.  Tame them as mounts that can fight with you.

edited June 2017
    Dragnelus said:
    Kyleran said:
    I can remember hunting/taming those spectral beasts
    I recall being a low level Alliance Hunter wandering the hostile Barrens (PVP server) to tame a named Raptor as my pet.

Or maybe I just read about it. Memory starting to fail me. ;)
    MrMelGibson

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited June 2017
    The taming in Riders of Icarus takes a total of about 10-15 seconds per animal.  That might work for you but that doesn't sound anywhere close to what Ultima Online's animal taming is.

The biggest challenge in animal training for Riders of Icarus is getting on some of the animals in order to tame them.
    waynejr2
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Riders of Icarus is a Crafting tame game. You have to make a taming item with rarer mats the higher up the food chain you go. Played for a couple of months, when you spend a week straight farming mats and fail the tame from RNG and not something you did wrong, you'll eat your mouse.
    SWG all the tameables have the same stats unless you get one bioengineered, but there's a lot more skill involved. You have to find a baby animal at the lair, then make sure you're downwind and persuade the little guy to be your friend without pissing off the adults. Played for years, always had CH.
    WoW you get to tame almost all the mobs you can kill, I have fond(?) memories of spending 3 weeks camping one rare spawn, but being able to use the pet of your choice is awesome. Played for years, almost exclusively hunter.
    GW2 you have pets you have to find, but they are very limited. I don't remember the taming process but it couldn't have been very involved. Ranger exclusively, played for about a year.
    BDO I am a horse trainer. The taming is a bit wonky but the breeding is where the system shines. VERY RNG, but there's things you can do to maximize your chances for a good horse. Even then the RNGods will make you rage.
    TL:DR nothing to match UO yet(bard/tamer, played for years). I have hopes for Dark&Light.
    KyleranOctagon7711

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:

Yes.  And special mobs were different than the base mob in some cases.  Ex:  Tiger with faster attack.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Yes.  And special mobs were different than the base mob in some cases.  Ex:  Tiger with faster attack.
    It was also a vanity thing for Hunters to get those rare, named mobs. xD
    Loque'nahak was super popular for example. Tons of hunters used to camp his spawn location for hours in the hopes of getting him when he spawned.

KyleranMrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Once, but no longer. Pets have been "normalized" so a huge tiger from Stranglethorn has the same stats as a cub from Draenor. The family determines the skills the pet has, and all pets in that family will perform the same in combat.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    UO still has the best Taming system 20 years later , the genre is still chasing UO in many many ways ...
    Tsiyamcrippins
    Tsiya said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Once, but no longer. Pets have been "normalized" so a huge tiger from Stranglethorn has the same stats as a cub from Draenor. The family determines the skills the pet has, and all pets in that family will perform the same in combat.
    Did they to f-up everything good in game?

Everyone wins a trophy

Kyleran said:
    Tsiya said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Did they to f-up everything good in game?

Everyone wins a trophy
    Pretty much. The only reason to camp the rares is for bragging rights now, and so many people run with a rare pet it's unusual to see a common skin.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFXI,perhaps one of the best classes ever in a game,then again FFXI had several amazing unique classes.
    Unlike most every game,the Beastmaster in FFXI did not feel like 1/2 a player plus half a pet,it felt like 2 players.
    People often talk about the Wow clones, "i love doing quests"pfftt,while some are running around doing "meaningless" quests ,IF we can call them quests,i was playing 20+ different great classes and using their skills/spells,having fun with my character rather than looking for the next yellow marker over a npc's head.

When i played the BST "Beastmaster" i felt like no other game had a class worth my time and why it is so dam difficult to give any of these half assed developers my time and money,their games do so little.

I am not saying at this point FFXi is a great go to game,for me it still garners some of my time,but at one time,it's taming/Beastmaster class was brilliant and  made playing a class way more fun than in other games.Even better yet is several classes in FFXI were great and you go to mix and match so you never had to toss away your taming "Beastmaster" if you so desired to play another class.That is the benefit of a sub class system,your character is never tossed aside for some alt.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    WoW does have a ridiculous number of beasts for the hunter to tame, and collecting them is fun.  The pet system is all pretty simple, though.  Tame a pet that has a special attack based on family, choose a DPS or Tank role, feed it once in a while to boost stats.  There are some incredible skins.  http://wow-petopia.com/

Tsiya
    WoW does have a ridiculous number of beasts for the hunter to tame, and collecting them is fun.  The pet system is all pretty simple, though.  Tame a pet that has a special attack based on family, choose a DPS or Tank role, feed it once in a while to boost stats.  There are some incredible skins.  http://wow-petopia.com/

As a Petopian of long standing, I have to admit WoW has the most variety of any game petwise.