Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does it take to run one private server for an MMO

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hi guys, 

I remember back in like 2000. I was playing quake 3 and I hosted a server in-game and it was really really fun to do that. It was called Cryomatrix's Instagib server. I actually prefer that than actually playing. 

so my question is, hypothetically, if I wanted to host an (insert MMO) private server, like Classic Lineage 2 or Classic WoW. 

What would I need in terms of Hardware? Manpower? Cost? Skills such as coding? Is it something I could do out of my home? Or would I need to rent a small office space and set it up?

Thanks.  

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Hi guys, 

I remember back in like 2000. I was playing quake 3 and I hosted a server in-game and it was really really fun to do that. It was called Cryomatrix's Instagib server. I actually prefer that than actually playing. 

so my question is, hypothetically, if I wanted to host an (insert MMO) private server, like Classic Lineage 2 or Classic WoW. 

What would I need in terms of Hardware? Manpower? Cost? Skills such as coding? Is it something I could do out of my home? Or would I need to rent a small office space and set it up?

Thanks.  

Cryomatrix
    Depends friend, you want a dedicated or private.  Sometimes renting a server is cheaper than gong through the big hassle of setting up your own private server.  Then your IP provider may have limitations.  First thing is to find out what type of bandwidth you want running. As well as how many simultaneous users you can have active.  Or in the case of a provider.  How many will they limit you to.

It can be very expensive if you do not use a good provider.  I would check that out first.  Most likely a business/commercial ISP to start.  If you plan on running a mmo with more than 100 people on it.

Then after you get that contract down you can look at servers.  You do not need a office, just a ISP account with your home addy ect.  There are numerous servers on the web.  The cheapest I have seen that is decent was around 5k.

A good personal computer can operate as a server if you have under 50 people.  But that is not recommended unless its for something like TS or Vent or Mumble ect. Or a game that is low spec.  But for a full mmo there will be issues.

Most people who have 100 people or less often rent.  It is easier and affordable.  I hope that helps a bit.
    Also you can have 2+ or more personal computers hosting/slaving as a server.  The issue for that will be bandwidth.  As packet loss occurs more frequently with that type of setup.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    If the game is retail (not free) all you need is to become a thief, then boom, you got a pirate server.

This thread can die now.

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited June 2017
    you may be able to host a small mmo server from a vps with decent specs and good connectivity.

you would look into 1gbit virtual private servers -- and then attempt to find the specs you want correlating to the price.
    The problem with the games you've listed is that private servers are illegal, so discussing them here may not be the best idea ever.

UO allows private servers though.

You better have a very good upload speed on your connection if you hope to host one on your own home network. And generally, upload speeds on consumer connections are crap.
    John, I think he was providing those mmos as examples ect.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I would assume the most challenging part is getting hold of the server code? It's not something companies would generally give out, and emulators like SWGEmu and WAR have had their server side code written from scratch. 

Once you've gotten the code, I imagine it's probably going to be quite a challenge to get something up and running. You may not need to know code, but you'll need to know server technologies and have some database management skills. 

Following that, you'll need to ensure that you have a private client that you can distribute, otherwise the people you want to play with won't be able to find your server when they boot up the game. That might require some coding. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    xpowderx said:
    The problem with the games you've listed is that private servers are illegal, so discussing them here may not be the best idea ever.

UO allows private servers though.

You better have a very good upload speed on your connection if you hope to host one on your own home network. And generally, upload speeds on consumer connections are crap.
    John, I think he was providing those mmos as examples ect.
    No he wasn't. His 2 examples both have server host code available in the wild.  Not a coincidence.

I'd recommend he go with hosting a legal title such as Life is Feudal, Conan Exiles or Ark to start out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    wow is the most easy to use and to host server..

I have no info on line age tho

I dont think the specs of a wow server is very high demanding... 

It all depends on how many poeple you are planning to connect to your wow server.

for example:

Wow server you can host on your pc aswell.. playing with some friends max 20 orso?

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    edited June 2017
    Ahem... Why use a host? It's not like setting port configurations is difficult. If one was looking to privately host for just themselves... 127.0.0.1 is where the heart is.

Also, there's a specific board for these discussions so it doesn't pop on the front page: http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/private-emulated-server-discussion
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I was looking at Amazon Server Services, and it looks like a thousand player server will cost about $5000 a month to host.  That figure is just an estimate, they work out pricing once you detail your needs, and their price is a floating target based on usage.

If you are REALLY talented, and you have a really really good Internet Provider, you may be able to get that under 3 grand.  But this is definitely not play time.  You need a revenue source out of your players if you want to host an MMORPG.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!