Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need a button that is "negative" to a bad/troll post

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
There is occasionally some poster who is just trolling, or posting hateful comments or being rude. Or such a fan of a game, he listens to no reason and makes the game could do no wrong and everyone who doesn't like it is a troll themselves.

On facebook, there is an angry face button. On reddit, you can downvote posts.

I guess there is "LOL", but that one is a good one. It means you made someone laugh or cheered them up, so not a negative. That one is my favorite, so whenever I see a rude person, it feels weird to use it when they didn't make me laugh.

I dunno what it could be called. But on reddit, it tends to improve posts a lot. You can really see the trolls/people who post things that are disliked the most. But most of the time, if you make a good post, you get a like or vote up for it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

waynejr2sunandshadow

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited December 2016
    Wait, your panel doesn't have this?

Must be a MVP thing then :)
    KyleranCryomatrix

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    That would get abused as fast as it was implemented. People marking posts as negative just because they disagree. 

Most MMO forum-goers act like petty, annoying children. It's imperative MMORPG.com protect the forums from these people. 
    waynejr2

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    There is occasionally some poster who is just trolling, or posting hateful comments or being rude. Or such a fan of a game, he listens to no reason and makes the game could do no wrong and everyone who doesn't like it is a troll themselves.

I guess there is "LOL", but that one is a good one. It means you made someone laugh or cheered them up, so not a negative. That one is my favorite, so whenever I see a rude person, it feels weird to use it when they didn't make me laugh.

I dunno what it could be called. But on reddit, it tends to improve posts a lot. You can really see the trolls/people who post things that are disliked the most. But most of the time, if you make a good post, you get a like or vote up for it.
    We decided before launching these forums not to allow negative reactions. They are often abused and don't really add anything of value. Even the LOL reaction you note is sometimes abused this way, and we were concerned about keeping it before launching for this reason. I would disagree that reddit's system is an overall net positive; there's plenty of debate concerning its efficacy in improving discussions.

In any case, the button you're looking for is the Flag button. If someone is trolling or posting hateful comments, they are in violation of our Rules of Conduct, and the best thing to do is to report them to our moderator team so we can deal with the post. No negative reaction necessary.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I highly recommend you remove the LOL button. It provides no value due to the fact that people use it differently and many in a negative manner. 

I've seen people comment on another person's total LOL as a way of discounting their opinion. It's worthless. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Already people use LOL to mean we think the post is stupid. "Downvoting" would be even worse, making our forums become more of a battleground.
    waynejr2
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Scot said:
    Already people use LOL to mean we think the post is stupid. "Downvoting" would be even worse, making our forums become more of a battleground.

I more often mean it's funny when I use LOL.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    MikeB said:

We decided before launching these forums not to allow negative reactions. They are often abused and don't really add anything of value. Even the LOL reaction you note is sometimes abused this way, and we were concerned about keeping it before launching for this reason. I would disagree that reddit's system is an overall net positive; there's plenty of debate concerning its efficacy in improving discussions.

In any case, the button you're looking for is the Flag button. If someone is trolling or posting hateful comments, they are in violation of our Rules of Conduct, and the best thing to do is to report them to our moderator team so we can deal with the post. No negative reaction necessary.

Doesn't help with problems like all comments on any subject being bombarded by dumbass links as been the case for the last 24 hours, soon as flagged they respawn with another account in minutes, slightly off topic but in the vein of when forums go negative.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited August 2017
    These are some of thee most toxic forums I've ever seen. Comparable to Forumfall in the level of people who are just straight nasty that have become regular posters.

If you guys were going to clean up the forums I would start over fresh, get rid of the LOL and WTF buttons, and take more of an approach of dealing with the root of the problem and not the symptoms. In other words, don't just read a post that got flagged and then deal with it. Read back through the conversation, see who started the fight and apply the moderator action exclusively to the troll.

You guys have lost a lot of decent posters that were trolled into outbursts that ended in a ban. Meanwhile you still have Gdemami LOLing every single post anyone who disagrees with him makes and Slapshot running around crying about Pay To Win and trolling the fans in every single subforum for kickstarters.

As long as that stands we're going to continue to see new bans of major community members popping up every few days. You can't ban away a negative community while the trolls who are good at playing the system continue to work everyone up to the point they get banned and never face any repercussions themselves. 

Tolerance of passive-aggressive trolls leads to a hostile community which is exactly what you have at the moment.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    edited August 2017
    I actually don't think we have that many trolls on here. 

[mod edit - please don't call people out on the forums]

I would enjoy some sort of negative / downvote type button on the site like the OP, but yeh, it would get abused. Maybe a "disagree" button - its more neutral, balances out with the agree button and more clearly conveys that we disagree with the content of the post, rather than casting aspersions on the poster themselves. 

I do currently use the lol button for when someone says something so stupid or clearly wrong that I find it funny. I rarely use the WTF button, generally just for posts that are so ludicrous that they go past funny, or posts that just make no sense at all. 
    Post edited by MikeB on
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I disagree.  I have no idea how sites that claim to not allow personal attacks regularly allow members to call other members troll with immunity.  I like this site because it lacks ridiculous facebook rating nonsense.  Forums used to be about people communicating and stating ideas.  Now they are about rankings and other stuff I don't understand.  If you disagree with someone articulate why.  Just down ranking it or whatever that is called is a cheap cop out for people not smart enough to actually articulate a response, or kids that are too young to have an opinion worth noting, sharing, or caring about but allows them to participate and have a "voice."  

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    MikeB said:

I Like the LOL button and to be honest most who select that are using it to express a post that was funny, not really sure why that would be removed..... Anyway , in my opinion the button that needs to go is the WTF button not only is a immature but its also invokes only 1 emotion which is negative, Unlike the LOL which is primarily used to express that a post was funny WTF is only perceived a a negative, which to me is fine but do consider replacing it with something a little more mature like DISAGREE. I think a Disagree button is much needed, We are not a bunch of snowflakes and not everyone in this world is going to agree with everything we say which is fine. Disagree simply states the obvious unlike WTF which is a little more mocking and inflammatory in nature.

Mike as a long time visitor to this site i have to commend you on a MUCH BETTER job at moderating the past few years , I feel the past 2 years these forums have struck a very good balance that allows people to openly express how they feel without having big brother shut down every other comment, at the same time i have seen some extremely inflammatory threads closed which often were justified. This wasn't always the case on MMORPG, I remember maybe 4-5 or so years ago these forums were policed a tad to extreme. Either way keep up the good work.
    Kyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I think the ability to negative-vote a post would reduce the number of people who feel they have to verbally disagree with their own post, and that would be a good thing.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    We certainly do not need such a button, it would be detrimental to the community, indeed I think the WTF goes too far. If you think someone is trolling report them.
This discussion has been closed.