Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An unlikely gem!

MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
edited June 2017 in General Gaming

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a game I never heard of.  I decided to do a little research on it because it intrigued me.  I'm a sucker for strategy and RTS games so one foot was already in the door.  What I discovered was a unique gem.  A stealth oriented real time strategy game.  I myself have never played "Commandos" series on PC, but the word was that this is a spiritual successor.

The game takes place during the Edo Period in Japan.  You control a group of 5 assassins that are employed by the Shogun.  Each character is their own class with different strengths and abilities.  

Characters:

Mugan- Master samurai : he is your power hitter.  He is limited to the ground.  But can stealth around like the others.  

Yuki- young assassin in training - Yuki can stealth around on the ground or rooftops.  She possesses a trap that can be reused and instantly kills everyone but armored samurai.

Hayato- Ninja : he is similar to Yuki, but stronger and also able to use a shuriken to kill from a distance.  Also able to stealth through the streets and roof tops.

Takuma- Old Man Sniper : Unlike the others, Takuma sits on a stationary elevated position.  He can snipe enemies for you.  But he only has a limited amount of ammunition so you have to use him strategically.  

Aiko- trickster : Aiko can disguise herself as a priestess or Geisha to distracted and misdirect enemies.  She is also able to limit the view of enemies.

Killing a guard is not just that simple.  You must also discard or hide the corpses of the Fallen otherwise a guard will raise alarms if the deceased are found.  There are many layers to the strategy of this game.  

The game constantly reminds you to quickly save.  Which is great because mistakes are easily made.  Also different approaches are encouraged to tackle the objectives. 

If you like what you hear.  Give the game a shot.  

My Score: 9.5/10

Gameplay Video:

Post edited by MrMelGibson on
KyleranExcessionConstantineMerusVrikaAllerleirauhcheyaneHatefull

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It does look like an interesting game, and i can see that it would appeal to players who enjoy strategy games of that type, nice find :)
    MrMelGibsonHatefullOctagon7711
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    It really looks interesting. Thanks for sharing
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This is a video of the first mission from beginning to end.  Gives you are a really good idea of how the game plays.  Enjoy!

• 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Really nice :D where can I play those?
    MrMelGibson
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I've got it on my wishlist waiting for that sale  B)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    like stealth in a strategy game? 

check this out (I got it more because its true turned based which is what I like)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/Invisible_Inc/
    MrMelGibson

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Looks like Commandos etc. I'm on the edge on games like this. I somehow like them, but not enough to actually play.

Also, i always read "Shadowrun Tactics" somehow.....
    MrMelGibson

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Anireth said:
    <snip>
    I'm on the edge on games like this. I somehow like them, but not enough to actually play.
    <snip>
    This hits me right on target.  The game looks engrossing and clever.  But I can never work up the enthusiasm to play them.  Maybe it's because I think too many of these are overly scripted, with one singular way to make progress.  Any deviation from the 'True Path', and you die...  quickly.

Still, the video captured me enough to watch the whole thing.  I'm convinced I would have been stuck forever with some of the hidden ladders -- ladders obscured by the isometric layout.
    KyleranMrMelGibson

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Mendel said:
    Anireth said:
    <snip>
    I'm on the edge on games like this. I somehow like them, but not enough to actually play.
    <snip>
    This hits me right on target.  The game looks engrossing and clever.  But I can never work up the enthusiasm to play them.  Maybe it's because I think too many of these are overly scripted, with one singular way to make progress.  Any deviation from the 'True Path', and you die...  quickly.

Still, the video captured me enough to watch the whole thing.  I'm convinced I would have been stuck forever with some of the hidden ladders -- ladders obscured by the isometric layout.
    Not being very good at spotting hidden things I prefer there to be alternative paths to take (meaning permit me to bash my way through) and not be brought to a halt until I cave in and look it up on the web.

MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Err, has it been localized in English? Can't say I got much out of the video.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Marketed Boosted.

That is what I call an 'unlikely' game or product that has been magically getting a lot of attention from many new media outlets....hmmmmm dont say?

Kyleran said:
    Err, has it been localized in English? Can't say I got much out of the video.
    Yes.  You have the option to set the voices to Japanese or English.  I believe the developer is German.  But as far as the localization,  its all done with no problems  (at least I haven't noticed any yet).
    Anireth said:
    Looks like Commandos etc. I'm on the edge on games like this. I somehow like them, but not enough to actually play.

Also, i always read "Shadowrun Tactics" somehow.....
    All the reviews i've read said this is basically a sequel to Commandos.  So you're definitely right about it looking that way.
    d_20 said:
    I've got it on my wishlist waiting for that sale  B)
    Steam summer sale will be soon.  Hopefully,  they have a good sale on it.
    13thBen said:
    Really nice :D where can I play those?
    I bought it on Steam.  I'm sure greenmangaming and other sites offer steam keys as well.
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    If you liked Commandos you will love this game, played it some time ago and its really good for its genre. Recommended
    MrMelGibsonHatefull
    SEANMCAD said:
    Marketed Boosted.

That is what I call an 'unlikely' game or product that has been magically getting a lot of attention from many new media outlets....hmmmmm dont say?
    I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.  Can you elaborate?
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Marketed Boosted.

I have a family member who tried to be an author and as a result he got to know a little bit about the book publishing business back in the 90s.
    He told me this:
    'Big house publishers like to go out and find a few 'unknown authors' and promote them as if they are a golden find'. It doesnt mean they are the best, just good enough to bolster the impression that said publisher is spending a lot of time out in the community finding the best of the best! when it reality its fairly random.

I think StarDew Valley, No Mans Sky and Long Way Home fit that general feel as well as this game which  has a large number of articles already written about them

also...the art style has a subtle hint to me that its coming from a big publisher, that could be me projecting but something about the style of the UI makes me think AAA
    MrMelGibson

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Marketed Boosted.

I have a family member who tried to be an author and as a result he got to know a little bit about the book publishing business back in the 90s.
    He told me this:
    'Big house publishers like to go out and find a few 'unknown authors' and promote them as if they are a golden find'. It doesnt mean they are the best, just good enough to bolster the impression that said publisher is spending a lot of time out in the community finding the best of the best! when it reality its fairly random.

I think StarDew Valley, No Mans Sky and Long Way Home fit that general feel as well as this game which  has a large number of articles already written about them

also...the art style has a subtle hint to me that its coming from a big publisher, that could be me projecting but something about the style of the UI makes me think AAA
    Lol ok.  Still waiting for my check in the mail.
    Hatefull
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Marketed Boosted.

He told me this:

Lol ok.  Still waiting for my check in the mail.
    and it doesnt have to be you personally getting a check. You could just be following the all the news stories which I highly likely that is the case.

Let me take a WILD guess and let me know if I get it right.
    You did not happen on this game by scrolling around Steam list of games not knowing it existed but rather you read an article about it.
    does that sound about right?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Marketed Boosted.

He told me this:

Nope. Daedalic Entertainment is the publisher.
    yeah..

I know..
    which is exactly why I think something is up. They also did Long Way Home. 
    Now I know they are not a 'big publisher bla bla bla' but the method doesnt have to follow the exact same path described above. In fact, all it really takes is a fat check to a Marketing Company

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Marketed Boosted.

He told me this:

Nope. Daedalic Entertainment is the publisher.
    yeah..

I know..
    which is exactly why I think something is up. They also did Long Way Home. 
    Now I know they are not a 'big publisher bla bla bla' but the method doesnt have to follow the exact same path described above. In fact, all it really takes is a fat check to a Marketing Company
    Actually our friend here @MrMelGibson (or my friend at least) just discovered a game and like many here just thought enough to share it so other like minded gamers could discover it and have an enjoyable time with it.
    Sometimes all you see is all there is to see ;) 
    ah but HOW did he 'discover' it exactly?
    did he read an article about it or was he spening an afternoon browsing games randomly on Steam like I did when finding these two
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/503370/Hospitalize/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/370060/Coffee_Shop_Tycoon/