Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vivec Needs You, Mortal - Our Morrowind Review - Elder Scrolls Online Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageVivec Needs You, Mortal - Our Morrowind Review - Elder Scrolls Online Review - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online, and I make no secrets about this, is my current favorite MMORPG on the market. But I’ve loved the regular quarterly DLC that comes with the ESO Plus subscription. Can Morrowind, ESO’s first chapter, truly make spending the extra $40 or more a worthwhile leap? In short, if you love story and ESO’s best adventuring content – yes. This is our Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017
    I have to be honest, I love ESO and whenever I played it I kept a Subscription going.
    Having said that, I don't think that ESO is good enough for a Subscription + a paid Expansion, and for what I read Morrowind doesn't seem anything ground breaking.

In fact there are few games I am interest in trying again such as WoW and EQ2, but I am kept away by their paid Expansions.
    It's not that I can't afford it, but I don't think those games are good enough to charge for an (Expansive) Expansion, paying for a Subscriptions should be enough as most have also a Cash Shop which guarantee them extra revenues anyway.

I hope Zenimax are not shooting themselves in the foot.
    Though I think this Expansion will sell well, I am not sure the long term effect would be beneficial.

YoofaloofAlomar

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "But I’ve loved the regular quarterly DLC that comes with the ESO Plus subscription."

The use of past-tense is appropriate I think. It seems the value of those included DLC will be diluted from here on. If Morrowind sells well, it will set the future trend.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Micro_CutsMicro_Cuts Member UncommonPosts: 38
    i think it's not worth the price! It has less quests than Orsinium. The battlegrounds are still in beta, no dungeons and the LFG Tool is still not working.

Other MMO Expansions offer much more content.
    AlomarShadanwolf
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nice write-up Bill.

Whatever we call this addition to ESO: expansion, chapter, DLC, or my favorite and most accurate IMO, a DLC Bundle, there is no question that Vvardenfell is the best zone they have ever done. It's the best architecturally by far, the terrain is more varied and interesting, the delves are better, the public dungeons are better, the stories are better...

I did finish it on one of my Wardens (I have 3 now :)) and thoroughly enjoyed it. And you're absolutely right about the Morag Tong's quest line (and BTW, if you chose the kinder option at the very end, there's an interesting tie-in to a certain feline friend over in the Aldmeri Dominion.) I really wasn't expecting the ending. The quest line of the two Argonian Slaves over at Sadrith Mora was also very enjoyable although on that one you can see where it's heading a mile away.

The Warden class has also grown considerably in my estimation as I leveled mine. They really shine in group content where their versatility can be a wipe saver in tough situations when the healer or tank dies: I go in as DPS but have some healing and tankiness slotted as well. Their mostly underwhelming DPS (although there are ways to squeeze more) is made up by their versatility.

When I played mine in beta mostly solo I was not really impressed but my appreciation for the class has steadily grown to the point where I consider it now my 2nd favorite class to play after my stamina and magicka sorcs.

$32 well spent for me.
    MrMelGibsonJeleena[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    21 lvl warden atm, new class feels a bit meh. bear pet dont taunt and its only pet u got :/
    morrowind music is nice and zone is great. havent played ESO in 2 year so game feels nice and got tons quests/dailys and crafting to do. all time got that rush feel to go some where.
  • SpartanoidSpartanoid Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Nice review, thanks Bill. Decided to go for the Collector's edition and I'm playing as a Warden - level 15 and about 25 hours in. Loving it so far, some nice main story quests, particularly liked the Balmora quest line. I like that the Warden class lets you use Magika for the main abilities leaving Stamina for melee weapons. Started using housing too, but disappointed you can't use it for storage!
    Arskaaa said:
    21 lvl warden atm, new class feels a bit meh. bear pet dont taunt and its only pet u got :/
    morrowind music is nice and zone is great. havent played ESO in 2 year so game feels nice and got tons quests/dailys and crafting to do. all time got that rush feel to go some where.
    "My bear don't taunt." That's got the makings of a hit country music song right up there with "My truck won't start" and "My beagle done left me." :)

Seriously though, the Warden gets better. Eventually all the seemingly disparate abilities and passives will click.

One small example: you know that passive ability in the Animal Companion skill line called "Bond with Nature?" The description tells you that when one of your animal companions is killed or unsummoned you restore "X" health. Woopty doo right? So my bear dies and I get a small heal, I thought. Well you know that first ability that all Wardens use where you send a cliff racer dive bombing your enemy? Well that counts as an unsummon... let that sink in for a minute... that's right whenever you use an animal companion ability to deal damage, you get a free heal... always.

Sounding better now? :)
    BillMurphyMrMelGibson[Deleted User]laserit
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Good review & accurate, IMHO. I love the new content. On the ESO forums there is a lot of complaining that the content is not "free" . Too bad I don't mind paying for content, and the price certainly seemed appropriate.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I am glad other people like ESO but I find it supremely boring compared with Skyrim or even STO, the other day I started playing Skyrim again with mods and what a joy so much better than ESO
    Shadanwolf
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    eddieg50 said:
    I am glad other people like ESO but I find it supremely boring compared with Skyrim or even STO, the other day I started playing Skyrim again with mods and what a joy so much better than ESO
    this..

The original Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time spanning some 37 years of playing games but ESO and/or ESO Morrowind dont appeal to me at all.
    ConstantineMerus

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I am having a blast in Morrowind and with my Warden!

Sz :)
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    edited June 2017
    ESO Plus members got their bank space doubled for free in this release if that helps :-)
    ESO Plus members got their bank space doubled for free in this release if that helps :-)
    And mine is already full with CP 160 set pieces I might find a use for...someday.

Time to start culling all the heads and shoulders and anything not divine or impenetrable... again :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Love ESO, but I'm off to experience some vanilla AV that I never got to do. Morrowind will be there when I get back. Playing it for over 2 years straight, I just need a break and now just happens to be the time. Was quite surprised how bustling the Elysium Project actually is.
  • Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited June 2017
    I've got a Warden fully leveled etc, and it is a very strong class. The bear hits like a mack truck. It's ultimate ability is the strongest hitting execute for its cost in the game. The rest of the Animal Companions skill line makes for very high DPS with the proper rotation. As a tank, Wardens are holding their own as a very strong option, especially on the magicka end. As healers, Wardens are not as versatile as Templars but the niche they fill is much stronger than Templars. The things I can get away with as a Warden healer would never fly as a Templar, and vice versa. That being said, Wardens are not gods as many thought they would be. The new class is very competitive but it's not the hands down king. Being a Warden isn't an automatic win. You'll still need the right gear, the right build, and a knowledge of the content to succeed.

As far as ESO Plus people complaining, STFU! Seriously... A subscriber in ESO is treated far better than a subscriber in literally every other game of this nature. The cash shop stipend alone puts SWTOR etc to shame. Then there's the bottomless crafting bag which is a game changer in ESO. Not to mention the passive bonuses. And now there's double the bank space as well? It is so advantageous to be an ESO Plus subscriber that it is almost obscene compared to the F2P option.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    i think it's not worth the price! It has less quests than Orsinium. The battlegrounds are still in beta, no dungeons and the LFG Tool is still not working.

Other MMO Expansions offer much more content.
    Yeah, as an expansion Morrowind is very poor.

One new zone that doesn't have as much content as their previous DLC zone (Orsinium) and one new class that was originally supposed to be in at launch. And the new feature, Battlegrounds, are terrible.

No new races (which we will likely never see because lore), no new weapons and no new universal skill lines.

ESO Morrowind is not bad for what's there but what's there isn't worth the price.
    Shadanwolf
    Elidien said:
    Iselin said:
    Nice write-up Bill.

Whatever we call this addition to ESO: expansion, chapter, DLC, or my favorite and most accurate IMO, a DLC Bundle, there is no question that Vvardenfell is the best zone they have ever done. It's the best architecturally by far, the terrain is more varied and interesting, the delves are better, the public dungeons are better, the stories are better...

I did finish it on one of my Wardens (I have 3 now :)) and thoroughly enjoyed it. And you're absolutely right about the Morag Tong's quest line (and BTW, if you chose the kinder option at the very end, there's an interesting tie-in to a certain feline friend over in the Aldmeri Dominion.) I really wasn't expecting the ending. The quest line of the two Argonian Slaves over at Sadrith Mora was also very enjoyable although on that one you can see where it's heading a mile away.

The Warden class has also grown considerably in my estimation as I leveled mine. They really shine in group content where their versatility can be a wipe saver in tough situations when the healer or tank dies: I go in as DPS but have some healing and tankiness slotted as well. Their mostly underwhelming DPS (although there are ways to squeeze more) is made up by their versatility.

When I played mine in beta mostly solo I was not really impressed but my appreciation for the class has steadily grown to the point where I consider it now my 2nd favorite class to play after my stamina and magicka sorcs.

$32 well spent for me.
    I agree and couldn't write anything better. Now get out of my brain Iselin! :)

I am working on building a stamina sorcerer right now (have mainly a stam NB and stam Warden). If you have a link to a build you use for the stam Sorcerer, I would be happy to take a look at it. Or if its a popular build, just let me know which one it is if thats ok. :smiley:
    The basic stamsorc meta for PVE is DW + bow. You use the bow for only 2 abilities, Poison Injection and Endless Hail and on the DW side of things you use Rapid Strike and Rending Slashes + either Steel Tornado for trash packs or deadly cloak to mitigate boss AOE damage by 35% and do a bit of AOE damage so you can keep meleeing. The key sorc abilities are Critical Surge for +20% damage and self heals from any crit damage you do, Thunderstorm for AOE and mitigation boost and Bound Armaments on both bars for more physical resist, + stamina and a heavy attack damage boost.

From the Fighter's guild you want Rearming trap and the Ultimate, Flawless Dawnbreaker. From PVP you want Razor Caltrops and the stamina based heal, Resolving Vigor.

I use Overload as my other Ultimate although I hardly ever use its damage. I just slot it because when you activate it you get a 3rd ability bar where you can slot extra skills such as Dark Deal to restore stamina, rapids, bolt escape, etc. Basically any other seldom used skill that isn't a weapon skill because using those kicks you out of that 3rd bar.

I did a beginners guide to leveling a stamsorc about a year ago that still applies pretty well:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/452506/rocking-the-house-with-a-stamina-sorc/p1

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    killing town people as dark brotherhood member is fun:)
    Iselin
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    Allow me to upgrade my Imperial Edition for a Gold Ed and I'll buy the exp and keep playing. Or even allow me to purchase a whole new Gold Ed. It's cheaper than buying them all one by one.

I like the game, I dislike their business approach.

I had a metal epic hour in Cyrodiil fighting against both EP and DC, left and right, genocide of nords and bretons - But every chat I had with my guild ended with "that stuff that is awesome is in the dlc, you should give it a try" and it always remember me how punished I was for purchasing the collectors edition of the game for absolutely no reason.

I mean, I don't disagree with the idea of doing an updated bundle with the box....but at the same time it's nobody's fault but your own for not looking into what you get when you buy it or doing some research.

On Topic:  I was very hyped for the expansion but ended up taking a break "until it comes out" to play BnS (hadn't played it yet) and now I have a 1 year sub and I love it lol!
    Only reason I'm not all over this like white on rice.
    [Deleted User]
    Arskaaa said:
    killing town people as dark brotherhood member is fun:)
    Also... if you go to Vvanderfell after getting your Blade of Woe, it makes the trespassing quests there (and there are a lot of them) much easier since killing guards that way doesn't add a bounty. Killing them any other way does.
    Arskaaa

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This thing is selling on pure nostalgia. I'VE already seen complaints from people that thought it would be TES3. And that's how Zenimax was selling it. Never mind that it takes place 800 years before TES3. People are mad because they can't find places they remember from TES3 in the game already. Sure its these peoples fault for not researching before they bought it but Zenimax sure didn't help either. It was all about going back to Morrowind and nothing about 800 years before. And the boards are on fire about the class nerfs to pump up the Warden.
    Hariken said:
    This thing is selling on pure nostalgia. I'VE already seen complaints from people that thought it would be TES3. And that's how Zenimax was selling it. Never mind that it takes place 800 years before TES3. People are mad because they can't find places they remember from TES3 in the game already. Sure its these peoples fault for not researching before they bought it but Zenimax sure didn't help either. It was all about going back to Morrowind and nothing about 800 years before. And the boards are on fire about the class nerfs to pump up the Warden.

I did try to tell you guys what was what back in January and got shit on by most of you for calling it a DLC, saying that it would basically be the same size as Orsinium, that leveling 1-50 there was a pipe dream, etc.

I knew what to expect so I'm not disappointed that I spent $32 at Greenman for my upgrade.

As to the class nerfs to pump up the Warden. That's a pretty superficial and shallow assesment that I don't agree with especially considering that a) the Warden's DPS is nowhere near the top, b) Templars are still the best healers and c) Dragonknights are still the best tanks.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited June 2017
    I have several issues with ESO. Lack of progression in some areas and the illusion of choice are the biggest ones. What do I mean by lack of progression? Well, when I left the game 2 years ago the best weapons for my class were the Maelstrom bow and the Maelstrom daggers. I came back recently to see how the game was doing and what do you know - the best weapons are still the 3 exact same items from the exact same piece of content. So... nothing more to achieve here. Thats like leaving WoW in vanilla, coming back for WotLK and your weapons from Molten Core still being BiS.

This ties in with my second complaint. Why create so many crafting styles for weapons (and some of them are really awesome) only to make them useless? Whats the point when your goal is to get 3 weapons with fixed skins youll equip and never change for years to come. No, you cant reskin them. There is no vanity slot for them. The same with other pieces of your gear. It would seem you have a lot of choice when customizing your looks with crafted gear... but crafted gear is often not BiS so when you do get your perfect gear setup you end up with a clown suit you have to cover up with costumes... I dont get it. Well, actually I do get it, they want to sell both crafting styles and costumes in the cash shop , but it really is a terrible way to go about implementing things.

And the illusion of choice extends beyond this. Lets say you want to play a magicka user. You can pick any race for this character but you better choose the right one or youre gimping yourself. You want to play an archer - great idea, you can... but keep in mind bows are only good as secondary weapons, youll be subpar compared to someone who mains dual wield and only uses the bow as a dot/utlity tool. So you settle on dual wield - at least you have some choice here. Again, not really. If you dont like daggers and you decide on swords or axes or maces, youve just made your character much less effective.

As for Morrowind... its a solid DLC but its not worth the expansion price tag.
    Post edited by R3d.Gallows on
    Shadanwolf
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    If you aren't a gatherer or you prefer to buy your crowns then the sub isn't for you, I like the sub myself because I haven't finished the crafting yet, and I gather alot of resources which requires alot of space!

I love the sub myself it gives me currency each month and I save up to buy the biggest most expensive items I want when I want them such as huge homes with furnishings.

After buying the homes and the furniture I typically continue subs to get special mounts or cosmetics.

If you're like me and you enjoy that this game is for you, I love how this game is setup to support many types of buyers so that you can buy to play or pay to play. The benefits of a sub in this game is a no brainer and imo other companies should follow this example including store credits monthly.