Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really quiet here, is this game stalled?

Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
Camelot Unchained is definitely a game I might want to give a significant amount of precious game time. 

However, almost all the games in alpha/beta on MMORPG.com have a lot of hype and forum activity... this one rarely has a post every few days.

Are people not excited for this game?
Faustina007

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017
    I believe most of the fans moved to Crowfall which looks in much better shape than CU.
    I suggested months ago that the CU Team was wasting their time with the C.U.B.E. Feature, time they should have used to make the actual game.
    Mark Jacob replied to my objection that it wasn't the case and developing C.U.B.E. wasn't slowing down the game development.

I am in no position to doubt his words but the fact is that since then we haven't seen anything new coming from City State while lots of exciting news came from the Crowfall Team.
    Crowfall and CU share pretty much the same player base and I suspect that Crowfall is going to come up on top and hijack this niche from City State.

CrazKanukDullahan

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2017
    There are new games to pick on (Ashes, Pantheon is popular, BDO reported good steam numbers), in a few months unless there's drama (like SC) they too will look like this as new games or positive results show their face. Can't have all that happy crap around these parts.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    ste2000 said:
    I believe most of the fans moved to Crowfall which looks in much better shape than CU.
    I suggested months ago that the CU Team was wasting their time with the C.U.B.E. Feature, time they should have used to make the actual game.
    Mark Jacob replied to my objection that it wasn't the case and developing C.U.B.E. wasn't slowing down the game development.

I am in no position to doubt his words but the fact is that since then we haven't seen anything new coming from City State while lots of exciting news came from the Crowfall Team.
    Crowfall and CU share pretty much the same player base and I suspect that Crowfall is going to come up on top and hijack this niche from City State.

At this point I'd be interested to know what IS slowing development if not that. I mean over a year ago he was asked re: beta delays and gave the answer "Certainly not 8 months. Right now, we are looking at weeks, in terms of the core ability code." in reference to beta NOT being delayed until 2017. 

That being said, it's not that uncommon should they find core framework problems. It's also possible that once that was fixed they had to reset the timer on beta launch to ensure quality, depending on the impact of the changes. 

You might be right, though, this type of delay may well have given Crowfall the opportunity to hijack the niche. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    CrazKanuk said:
    ste2000 said:

At this point I'd be interested to know what IS slowing development if not that. I mean over a year ago he was asked re: beta delays and gave the answer "Certainly not 8 months. Right now, we are looking at weeks, in terms of the core ability code." in reference to beta NOT being delayed until 2017. 

That being said, it's not that uncommon should they find core framework problems. It's also possible that once that was fixed they had to reset the timer on beta launch to ensure quality, depending on the impact of the changes. 

You might be right, though, this type of delay may well have given Crowfall the opportunity to hijack the niche. 
    The crowfall team are also good at promising things. During 2016 they went from talking about a launch in 2016 to mvp launch in 2016 and what they launched in 2016 was an indiegogo campaign to raise more funds. They are now at pre-alpha 5.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Latest newsletter http://mailchi.mp/citystateentertainment/unveiled-camelot-unchained-newsletter-34
    The Dose of Design section is quite informative.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Crowfall has continually eclipsed this game on this site.  Really it's eclipsed it in general, as there's just so much more and so much new/different about crowfall vs a DaoC reboot.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Yeah overall it seems Crowfall casts shadow on CU around here, so you rarely get info on their dev updates and such. As it also is pumping up more on development with the start of Alpha 5.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Shaigh said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ste2000 said:

The crowfall team are also good at promising things. During 2016 they went from talking about a launch in 2016 to mvp launch in 2016 and what they launched in 2016 was an indiegogo campaign to raise more funds. They are now at pre-alpha 5.

Oh yeah! I'm sure they have! Like I said, it's unavoidable, especially when people are aware of the game from a relatively early stage of development. It's also why there are so many "Oh fuck!" moments. Ultimately it'll always be a first-in "thing". I'm sure there are a great number of people who won't play it because of the stylized graphics anyway. Both teams have great veteran leadership and they pretty much know all this "There can be only one!" talk :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Twisted77 said:
    Camelot Unchained is definitely a game I might want to give a significant amount of precious game time. 

However, almost all the games in alpha/beta on MMORPG.com have a lot of hype and forum activity... this one rarely has a post every few days.

All I need is a release date.  I don't need them to spoon feed me information about the dev cycle.
    Hatefull
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    From the newsletter you will see there is a flurry of information and activity, busy busy busy.

But no word on when something playable will be available, doesn't appear to be anytime soon.
    waynejr2

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Twisted77 said:

I think, as per below, that a lot of people are just waiting for us to get closer to a game and further away from our focus on tech. CF, because it is using a pre-existing engine, was able to have more game to show for their game than us. OTOH, our engine is coming along quite well and I expect that we will be showing LIVE gameplay (and not just tech) much sooner than later.

Thanks for your interest, the good news is that it won't be much longer to see what our hard work on our engine will mean to the game.

DMKano said:
    People are excited for a final product that's good.

Most people are - is it done yet? No? - call me when it is.

Fans that follow CU might find the development cycle exciting - most players don't care until it's done.
    Couldn't agree more.

ste2000 said:

It's simple enough to see if I've been lying by just checking our updates/website/builders. We've added precious little to CUBE over the last year and a ton to the rest of the game. As to CF hijacking this niche, as always, time will tell. :)

CrazKanuk said:
    ste2000 said:

I've said, not a few times, that "re-abilitation" took longer than we expected mainly because the deeper we dove into the existing code, the worse it looked. We ended up throwing out all of the previous code and had to start that part of the process was scratch. At the same time, the team in Seattle was being built out and that was also a distraction as doing so took a significant amount of my time, and a not-insignificant amount of time from Andrew. The good news is that is all behind us, the team out there is now filled and the next 60 days are going to see a flurry of activity on both tech and gameplay.

Cotic said:
    Latest newsletter http://mailchi.mp/citystateentertainment/unveiled-camelot-unchained-newsletter-34
    The Dose of Design section is quite informative.
    Thanks, Ben did a great job on that.
    Crowfall has continually eclipsed this game on this site.  Really it's eclipsed it in general, as there's just so much more and so much new/different about crowfall vs a DaoC reboot.
    Actually, it's kinda the opposite. If you are looking for new/risky systems/mechanics, you might want to read what we're doing. We aren't a Dark Age of Camelot reboot as so many of our systems/mechanics demonstrate. This is NOT a knock against CF, which does also have some interesting stuff, but my comment is in reference to the fact that we are not trying to reboot Dark Age of Camelot. 
    waynejr2 said:
    Twisted77 said:

All I need is a release date.  I don't need them to spoon feed me information about the dev cycle.

That isn't going to happen till we're in Beta 1. Putting a release date for a polished release (not an MVP) before we hit Beta 1 would simply be BS and I'm not going to do that to our long-suffering, and patient, Backers. :)Kyleran said:
    From the newsletter you will see there is a flurry of information and activity, busy busy busy.

But no word on when something playable will be available, doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

Sooner, rather than later, if the next few weeks go well.

Thanks all, for your support if your Backers and/or interest if you're not. 
    Rawynwaynejr2Twisted77DullahanSlapshot1188Viper482Marcus-xyzercrimeRealizerYashaXand 6 others.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

MarkJacobs said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Twisted77 said:

That isn't going to happen till we're in Beta 1. Putting a release date for a polished release (not an MVP) before we hit Beta 1 would simply be BS and I'm not going to do that to our long-suffering, and patient, Backers. :)Kyleran said:
    I am actually on your side. 
    KyleranCecropia

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    waynejr2 said:
    MarkJacobs said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Twisted77 said:

I am so happy CU intends to continue the course to delivering a polished "release" and not torture us with a never ending early access cycle.

waynejr2francis_baudViper482DistopiaRealizerYashaXCecropiaStjerneodd

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    waynejr2 said:
    MarkJacobs said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Twisted77 said:

I am so happy CU intends to continue the course to delivering a polished "release" and not torture us with a never ending early access cycle.

I agree.  Kind of refreshing.
    RealizerCecropia

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    waynejr2 said:
    MarkJacobs said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Twisted77 said:

Yep me too. When a game goes into early access, a part of the dev team shifts their focus from developing the whole game to operating and polishing this rudimentary version that is now "live" 24/7. In some cases it slows down the development dramatically and may have a negative impact on the quality of the game at launch (if it ever launches).

Of course if a studio needs revenues badly it can be an interesting solution. Hopefully CSE has enough resources to keep going for a while and avoid that route.

JamesGoblin
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Oh, I just realized I had chipped in 50$ for this project via KS back then ...wonder when it's gonna release :smile:
    maybebaked
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I also KS backed CU and was really into early tech-alpha testing.  I shot myself in the foot as I didn't care for some of the early physics/mechanics.  I decided to step away from testing at that point as I realized I was spoiling things for myself.  It was way too early to judge and yet it's hard to ignore being presented something that you don't like when you remain hopeful that you will like the finished product. I didn't have that experience with Crowfall however, yet I still reduced my testing time for fear of the same.  

It was a valuable lesson.  You can still back games which offer early access and not take advantage of that access.  Sometimes it's best to let the food be finished cooking as tasting it too early could turn your stomach.  Other times it's best to peek into the kitchen and inhale the aromas without getting in the way of the chefs.  
    meddyck
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Most developers are spamming us with advertising,this game i believe would struggle to find much interesting to spam us with.
    I have a gut feeling of about a 1/10 that this turns out to be something remotely exciting.I also believe the ONLY reason it exists is because it used it's OLDER sister game DAOC to market this game which imo is sort of lame.Without the connection to DAOC i do not think this game is even half as popular.
    "something special" i very highly doubt the game has any chance to be special,instead i expect a world and mostly pvp,two aspects that are pretty easy to pull off, albeit not easy to make a great pvp rpg,pretty much impossible as pvp and rpg are imo counter intuitive to each other.

Someone mentioned Crowfall,yep pretty much the same one dimensional game only Crowfall was smart enough to create a cash grab gimmick>>>>castles/plots.

Calexpantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Wizardry said:
    Most developers are spamming us with advertising,this game i believe would struggle to find much interesting to spam us with.
    I have a gut feeling of about a 1/10 that this turns out to be something remotely exciting.I also believe the ONLY reason it exists is because it used it's OLDER sister game DAOC to market this game which imo is sort of lame.Without the connection to DAOC i do not think this game is even half as popular.
    "something special" i very highly doubt the game has any chance to be special,instead i expect a world and mostly pvp,two aspects that are pretty easy to pull off, albeit not easy to make a great pvp rpg,pretty much impossible as pvp and rpg are imo counter intuitive to each other.

Someone mentioned Crowfall,yep pretty much the same one dimensional game only Crowfall was smart enough to create a cash grab gimmick>>>>castles/plots.

Grumpy old man I would say. Maybe you should quit gaming entirely. If it s a good pvp only game, then "something special" it will be. 
    CalexxyzercrimeRealizerpantarovito11
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Galadourn said:
    Oh, I just realized I had chipped in 50$ for this project via KS back then ...wonder when it's gonna release :smile:
    The only real answer at this point is: eventually. Hell that's also the answer for when Beta 1 starts although Mark seems optimistic that will happen this year. We'll see.
    francis_baud

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    meddyck said:
    Galadourn said:
    The only real answer at this point is: eventually. Hell that's also the answer for when Beta 1 starts although Mark seems optimistic that will happen this year. We'll see.
    iirc at some point he was also optimistic that it would happen in august 2015, so as you say, we'll see.  :p
    JamesGoblin
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017

ste2000 said:

It's simple enough to see if I've been lying by just checking our updates/website/builders. We've added precious little to CUBE over the last year and a ton to the rest of the game. As to CF hijacking this niche, as always, time will tell. :)

Sorry Mark, but that doesn't actually prove my point?
    I mean if what you are saying is true, and I don't doubt it is, your admission that by putting CUBE on hold allowed you to actually make real progress means that in the past CUBE took precious resources that should have been used to actually develop the game.

I am happy you now understand that CUBE is just fluff and not necessary in a PvP game, but I believe that wasting resources on it cost you a good head start over Crowfall which is now almost ready for release.

By the way I appreciate you take your time to reply to all of us in a polite way even when we criticize your game, something many developers should learn before posting in neutral forums.
    Sometimes criticism is good because it means people care, it shouldn't be seen always as a negative thing.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    This game isn't quite in Star Citizen territory yet, but it's getting close. The beta was expected over a year ago now. They took the long road on this opting to make their own engine. That was a big gamble and time will tell if it pays off. I hope the game turns out well because it seems like a game I'd enjoy playing but honestly right now I'm not even bothering to follow it. These projects that just linger on in endless development are hard to really get excited about. I'm firmly in the "call me when it's done" camp on this game. The progress is just too slow to keep me interested in following it right now.
    MightyUnclean
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    CF looks cool, but you know what see you has going for it? Lore, dark gritty three faction unmirroed lore. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"