Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer: " There's something strange about Ashes of Creation. "

Comments

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Can we get a ban on these trolls going off topic in this thread, please? This is becoming downright spam.

Ponzini said:
    Ponzini said:
    Ponzini said:
    Is Kickstarter lying about Intrepid telling them they would remove Kickstarter Pledges from the referral system? Or do we just not care because we benefit from it? Either by getting cash (me) or by getting more money for their new favorite project?

Is it just ignored because Steven came and said they were absolutely transparent?
    If that is true then Kickstarter is lying... and that's an even bigger story.
    Or maybe no one lied. Maybe there was miscommunication. Either way kickstarter said it was acceptable to them. It's their website. So all should be good now. 

Really though the author should have checked with Intrepid before posting the story. Would have saved a lot of headaches.
    “[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program, making it entirely separate from the Kickstarter project"

That either happened or it didn't. Someone appears to be lying. Its a big story if it's Intrepid. It's a bigger one if it's Kickstarter.
    LOL You guys just want it to be a big story. We are probably the only ones talking about this. 10 dudes in a forum. 

Only Kickstarter can confirm this. Assuming their communication was through email and not phone. I am pretty sure this whole thing is over though. Good luck getting a statement from them on this.
    We actually do have a statement from them.  I think it's actually from their Director of Communications.  It's the quote above.  I have not seen Intrepid dispute it's validity. Ball is in Intrepid's court because the quote very specifically states that they said certain things.

it appears someone is lying... could be Intrepid to us, could be Intrepid to Kickstarter, could be Kickstarter. At this time it doesn't APPEAR to be the author (who nobody apologized to yet... amazing)

Who owes him an apology? He posted wrong information. If he had checked with Intrepid he would have got corrected. He got secondhand info from kickstarter who either misunderstood or was told a lie/wrong info. Either way the author should have got both sides of a story before coming out with it. Is that not standard practice to reach out for comments?
    David Gallagher the director of communications that ratified everything Steven Messner originally wrote is "second hand info"?

Maybe Steven Sharif shouldn't have told Kickstarter they were complying with the removal of pledges from the referral system as David Gallagher stated. 

“[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program," - David Gallagher, Kickstarter Director of Communications.

“[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program," - David Gallagher, Kickstarter Director of Communications.

Yes it is second hand info. It isn't directly from the source who was running the referral system. Kickstarter isn't in charge of the referral program. That is the definition of second hand information.
    [Deleted User]Prescience
  • PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Ponzini said:
    Can we get a ban on these trolls going off topic in this thread, please? This is becoming downright spam.

Ponzini said:
    Ponzini said:
    Ponzini said:
    Is Kickstarter lying about Intrepid telling them they would remove Kickstarter Pledges from the referral system? Or do we just not care because we benefit from it? Either by getting cash (me) or by getting more money for their new favorite project?

Is it just ignored because Steven came and said they were absolutely transparent?
    Or maybe no one lied. Maybe there was miscommunication. Either way kickstarter said it was acceptable to them. It's their website. So all should be good now. 

Really though the author should have checked with Intrepid before posting the story. Would have saved a lot of headaches.
    “[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program, making it entirely separate from the Kickstarter project"

That either happened or it didn't. Someone appears to be lying. Its a big story if it's Intrepid. It's a bigger one if it's Kickstarter.
    LOL You guys just want it to be a big story. We are probably the only ones talking about this. 10 dudes in a forum. 

Only Kickstarter can confirm this. Assuming their communication was through email and not phone. I am pretty sure this whole thing is over though. Good luck getting a statement from them on this.
    We actually do have a statement from them.  I think it's actually from their Director of Communications.  It's the quote above.  I have not seen Intrepid dispute it's validity. Ball is in Intrepid's court because the quote very specifically states that they said certain things.

it appears someone is lying... could be Intrepid to us, could be Intrepid to Kickstarter, could be Kickstarter. At this time it doesn't APPEAR to be the author (who nobody apologized to yet... amazing)

Who owes him an apology? He posted wrong information. If he had checked with Intrepid he would have got corrected. He got secondhand info from kickstarter who either misunderstood or was told a lie/wrong info. Either way the author should have got both sides of a story before coming out with it. Is that not standard practice to reach out for comments?
    David Gallagher the director of communications that ratified everything Steven Messner originally wrote is "second hand info"?

Maybe Steven Sharif shouldn't have told Kickstarter they were complying with the removal of pledges from the referral system as David Gallagher stated. 

Yes it is second hand info. It isn't directly from the source who was running the referral system. Kickstarter isn't in charge of the referral program. That is the definition of second hand information.
    I think you might be delusional and absolutely hate to be wrong. 
    SpottyGekko
    Ponzini said:

Ponzini said:
    Ponzini said:
    Ponzini said:

I think you might be delusional and absolutely hate to be wrong. 
    Nice argument, buddy. Snarky remarks return. 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    LOL why is this thread still a thing?
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     It's funny seeing folks across the internet who were vehemently opposed to Star Citizen, are now shilling for this upcoming disappointment.  I suppose it's hard to judge the validity of a team if they don't have someone doing it for them.  

Now it's funny that people are trying to drag Camelot Unchained into this mess, simply because they had enough foresight to make their own engine. Sad days in game development. 

[Deleted User]
    Realizer said:
     It's funny seeing folks across the internet who were vehemently opposed to Star Citizen, are now shilling for this upcoming disappointment.  I suppose it's hard to judge the validity of a team if they don't have someone doing it for them.  

Now it's funny that people are trying to drag Camelot Unchained into this mess, simply because they had enough foresight to make their own engine. Sad days in game development. 

How dare you speak out against Ashes of Creation! They promise butter smooth frame rates and massive pvp sandbox with a legendary development team. Here check out this video so you forget everything.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4rcj63qwUI
    Realizer
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    OhhPaigey said:
    There's something strange about Ashes of Creation.

There's something strange about every early access game.

Shhhh....@SEANMCAD might hear you and then you'll have to endure one of his multi-page lectures on why you are wrong.

It's a fate worse than death, trust me.
    SpottyGekkoSlapshot1188MadFrenchieKyleran

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    snip
    How dare you speak out against Ashes of Creation! They promise butter smooth frame rates and massive pvp sandbox with a legendary development team. Here check out this video so you forget everything.
     Ohhhh, ahhhh.

Oh darn reality sunk in 30 seconds into the video. Am I immune or something? What is this madness?  :D
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Nyctelios said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    There's something strange about Ashes of Creation.

There's something strange about every early access game.

Shhhh....@SEANMCAD might hear you and then you'll have to endure one of his multi-page lectures on why you are wrong.

It's a fate worse than death, trust me.
    I don't know, man. I think you like it. I think you two complete each other.

Just like Prescience and Ponzini.

I enjoy the entertainment. Who knew there was still a market for court jesters.

Ponzini and I would like to thank everyone that attended the show this evening. Please check back tomorrow at the regularly scheduled posting time. 

On the next episode:

• An even bigger twist
    • New faces arrive as the plot thickens
    • A special guest
    • Find out who lied to who while lying to who while telling who what happened to them.
    [Deleted User]VrikaSpottyGekkoSlapshot1188Kyleran
    Realizer said:

You act like most people on here are in defense of Ashes when it seems to be quite the opposite. 

Prescience said:
    Ponzini and I would like to thank everyone that attended the show this evening. Please check back tomorrow at the regularly scheduled posting time. 

On the next episode:

• An even bigger twist
    • New faces arrive as the plot thickens
    • A special guest
    • Find out who lied to who while lying to who while telling who what happened to them.
    Okay for once I found you genuinely funny. lol
  • DrokkmonDrokkmon Member UncommonPosts: 12
    What I find a bit interesting is that in his two posts in this thread after the update, Steven Sharif didn't explicitly state 'KS never asked us to remove  kickstarter pledges from our referral system'. He seems to imply it, but I don't think he actually said that straight-out. Does that mean that he thinks the reporting was a lie simply because they choose to ignore the request?

I remember when he shared a pic of an email from someone at KS saying there was no problem with the referral system. But the person that Steven Messner spoke to seems to say the opposite. Apparently there's miscommunication between the people at KS. 

But whatever, it's over now. The people at KS get their money so probably don't want to make too much noise. The author of the article got thrown under the bus. Steven Sharif...either is the best actor of all time or was just the victim of a massive failure of communication. Still, the situation feels weird.
    Realizer
    Drokkmon said:
    What I find a bit interesting is that in his two posts in this thread after the update, Steven Sharif didn't explicitly state 'KS never asked us to remove  kickstarter pledges from our referral system'. He seems to imply it, but I don't think he actually said that straight-out. Does that mean that he thinks the reporting was a lie simply because they choose to ignore the request?

I remember when he shared a pic of an email from someone at KS saying there was no problem with the referral system. But the person that Steven Messner spoke to seems to say the opposite. Apparently there's miscommunication between the people at KS. 

But whatever, it's over now. The people at KS get their money so probably don't want to make too much noise. The author of the article got thrown under the bus. Steven Sharif...either is the best actor of all time or was just the victim of a massive failure of communication. Still, the situation feels weird.
    There was no lack of communication. The changing of the language on their website implies they were acknowledging the communication. 

They can "play dumb" if they want to and it was probably a "lets ride this out" type of situation.
    SpottyGekko
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Drokkmon said:

There was no lack of communication. The changing of the language on their website implies they were acknowledging the communication. 

They can "play dumb" if they want to and it was probably a "lets ride this out" type of situation.
    Yup, the money's in the bank, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

"The end justifies the means" and all that...
    Slapshot1188
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Ponzini said:

Not in todays world. It's about who gets the story out first, not wether it's right or wrong. They're not bothered if it throws someone or several people under the bus, as long as they have their story, clicks, likes and shares.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Drokkmon said:

I agree although no I do not remember any Email from Kickstarter being shown. Link please.

My biggest disappointment was with the people who dragged the authors name through the mud for "lying" and "libel" but don't have the guts to apologize.  I'm a critic but when Steven came and called the guy a liar I publically stated to supporters on here that I would join the chorus and ask for the author to be fired if it was true.  Now that Kickstarter has confirmed the quotes, I haven't seen a single defender apologize.  It says a lot about those folks IMHO. 

Also... I love your last sentence when taken in the context of the title of this thread.  I fully expect a lot more weirdness and strangeness over the next few years.

[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Realizer said:kind

I kind of view it as the anti-SC: a way to say "look how things could have gone".  Time will tell.

Everyone has his/her own background and approach, and falls under a different place along the spectrum.  As for myself I'm content to wait and see how things turn out, although the Kickstarter spectacle has provided plenty to debate.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Drokkmon said:

I agree although no I do not remember any Email from Kickstarter being shown. Link please.

My biggest disappointment was with the people who dragged the authors name through the mud for "lying" and "libel" but don't have the guts to apologize.  I'm a critic but when Steven came and called the guy a liar I publically stated to supporters on here that I would join the chorus and ask for the author to be fired if it was true.  Now that Kickstarter has confirmed the quotes, I haven't seen a single defender apologize.  It says a lot about those folks IMHO. 

Also... I love your last sentence when taken in the context of the title of this thread.  I fully expect a lot more weirdness and strangeness over the next few years.

I might agree if the guy had shown some actual diligence in this debacle. At least in the manner Massively did ( it wasn't even their story and they had the fortitude to update it from all sides).

Yet he laid a bomb and let it simmer for like a week without even the slightest update to reflect Intrepid and their backers side of the story. You don't see anything odd about that?  Especially considering he let it go until after the KS was over? That seems like rather peculiar timing to me. 
    IselinSinsai

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    Distopia said:

He gathered information and made an article. I don't see how oh so wrong he was as you claim. I don't think that trying the middle ground is a positive thing - I'm actually in a far spectrum, I think it's a weak approach. It does nothing but to promote something. After all is not like he was hiding from it; When I asked him about it he promptly responded.

If he would make an article and wait an official response from Intrepid to put it on site Steven could (not saying he would) just drag it countless months by denying any response or just shrugging and saying "I don't know" (or repeating "WRONG!" as if meant something),.

In the end of the day he did write it having KS official statement on the matter. If KS and Intrepid had problems with communication that's between them, and this article did show it actually exists - It wouldn't otherwise, if he had waited for both parties solve their issues.

If that would be the case we wouldn't have any report whatsoever on CS:GO gambling, Steam Greenlight asset flips, 1 dollar games card metagaming scams, Stolen Credit Card used to purchase and sell game keys on G2A.

If you want to flush out the goblin hiding in the rabbit hole sometimes you must plant a bomb.
    I didn't say anything about waiting, it's the fact he didn't say a word about Intrepid's response, which said Backers were still getting reimbursement. Which nullified the entire crux of the article. It's not like the back and forth between kickstarter and Shariff was the point, the point was that the article stated backers were not getting reimbursed. That was not accurate. That revelation essentially blasted the rabbit hole he was looking for into oblivion. 

Keep in mind Massively was quick about updating their article with Shariff's response. 

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    The moment it became a multi-million dollar donation drive is the moment all of KS policies flew out the window.

KS will never crack down on a large project because 1) They would lose tons of money and 2) It would create a self-inflicted PR crapstorm

The point is that if a project is big enough then profit sharing is allowed End Of Story.

Just be aware that any project going forward will now be accompanied by affiliate spamming and using a significant amount of the initial funding to pay for KS marketing and not game development.
    Slapshot1188Octagon7711Realizer
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Distopia said:

He gathered information and made an article. I don't see how oh so wrong he was as you claim. I don't think that trying the middle ground is a positive thing - I'm actually in a far spectrum, I think it's a weak approach. It does nothing but to promote something. After all is not like he was hiding from it; When I asked him about it he promptly responded.

If he would make an article and wait an official response from Intrepid to put it on site Steven could (not saying he would) just drag it countless months by denying any response or just shrugging and saying "I don't know" (or repeating "WRONG!" as if meant something),.

In the end of the day he did write it having KS official statement on the matter. If KS and Intrepid had problems with communication that's between them, and this article did show it actually exists - It wouldn't otherwise, if he had waited for both parties solve their issues.

If that would be the case we wouldn't have any report whatsoever on CS:GO gambling, Steam Greenlight asset flips, 1 dollar games card metagaming scams, Stolen Credit Card used to purchase and sell game keys on G2A.

If you want to flush out the goblin hiding in the rabbit hole sometimes you must plant a bomb.
    I didn't say anything about waiting, it's the fact he didn't say a word about Intrepid's response, which said Backers were still getting reimbursement. Which nullified the entire crux of the article. It's not like the back and forth between kickstarter and Shariff was the point, the point was that the article stated backers were not getting reimbursed. That was not accurate. That revelation essentially blasted the rabbit hole he was looking for into oblivion. 

Keep in mind Massively was quick about updating their article with Shariff's response. 
    Massively posted sharif's response which includes “pledges from Kickstarter will have the referral reward associated with it, that reflects it’s policy of a ‘financial incentive for referrals’ and remains in accordance with their policies and procedures at Kickstarter.”

That statement is wrong, the referrals doesn't act in accordance with kickstarter policies.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:

That's not how it works. The normal and ethical way is to give the other party an advanced warning of article and claims made of them, then wait for a while for them to comment.

If they comment, the journalist can include their comments in the article. If they don't do it quickly, then they've had the right and opted not to use it. That way their comments can be heard but they're not allowed to delay the story.

Though it doesn't really fit this situation, since due to situation Kickstarter had the right to speak on behalf of Intrepid Studios. Checks like that are meant to give the opposite party right to say their piece if they need to, not for preventing companies working together from making PR mistakes.

Shaigh said:
    Distopia said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Distopia said:

Massively posted sharif's response which includes “pledges from Kickstarter will have the referral reward associated with it, that reflects it’s policy of a ‘financial incentive for referrals’ and remains in accordance with their policies and procedures at Kickstarter.”

That statement is wrong, the referrals doesn't act in accordance with kickstarter policies.
    It's obvious something is off between what he says vs what KS said. Yet how much difference did that make in the end? all that was important to KS was money. We could have called that before all of this went down. 

The only thing that mattered was whether Backers got reimbursement or not.

It's like Iselin said farther back in this thread. Intrepid could have went anyway they wanted here, they could have just stated they'd be reimbursed through other means, post KS funding. In the end KS really wouldn't do much about such a claim. All that he said she said stuff really meant nothing to the ultimate outcome.

It's kinda silly that's all that came of this article. WHen neither company has a monetary interest in revealing who lied, and about what. It's unlikely that's a story that's going any where. 

• DrokkmonDrokkmon Member UncommonPosts: 12

I don't know if it's appropriate to link something that was shared in discord. You can go to the discord and search it out yourself. He posted it on May 3rd. The context appears to be Steven asking for a call with someone at Kickstarter in order to iron out possible questions about their referral system. The reply states such a call is unnecessary, since the referral program looks fine. Also note that this was weeks before the pcgamer article.

That says to me they got the greenlight from kickstarter. Definitely the complete opposite from what Steven Messner wrote in his article and especially the 'update' where his kickstarter source claimed that they asked Intrepid to remove the ks rewards from referrals and Intrepid just...ignored the request. 

To me the people at kickstarter come out looking the worst here. Steven Sharif was told one thing, Steven Messner told something completely different. As far as Messner and his article...I may not agree with this arguments, but he has every right to his opinion. Where I would say he made a mistake was not seeking out Intrepid's side of the story, either in his original article or the update. That's just sloppy 'journalism'. And Steven Sharif has a right to be upset about that. 
    DistopiaPhaserlight
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    edited June 2017
    Drokkmon said:

I don't know if it's appropriate to link something that was shared in discord. You can go to the discord and search it out yourself. He posted it on May 3rd. The context appears to be Steven asking for a call with someone at Kickstarter in order to iron out possible questions about their referral system. The reply states such a call is unnecessary, since the referral program looks fine. Also note that this was weeks before the pcgamer article.

That says to me they got the greenlight from kickstarter. Definitely the complete opposite from what Steven Messner wrote in his article and especially the 'update' where his kickstarter source claimed that they asked Intrepid to remove the ks rewards from referrals and Intrepid just...ignored the request. 

To me the people at kickstarter come out looking the worst here. Steven Sharif was told one thing, Steven Messner told something completely different. As far as Messner and his article...I may not agree with this arguments, but he has every right to his opinion. Where I would say he made a mistake was not seeking out Intrepid's side of the story, either in his original article or the update. That's just sloppy 'journalism'. And Steven Sharif has a right to be upset about that. 
    His "Kickstarter Source" was the Director of Communications for the company.. a named source. 
    Quote: Kickstarter’s director of communications, David Gallagher, told me in an email. “[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program, making it entirely separate from the Kickstarter project, which we saw as an acceptable solution. It appears that this did not happen.

The counter is a mythical Email from an unnamed source a month ago, which apparently cannot be linked...  

PS: The Ashes Discord is down.
    [Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018