Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people cheat in FPS games? Auto-aim, etc

2»

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Eldurian said:
    The additional buttons. In games with a lot of abilities one of the biggest advantages you can have is quick/easy access to your abilities. Since playing Darkfall one the firsts thing I do in every MMO I go to is spend an hour our two optimizing my keybindings so I can quickly access all of my most used abilities.

On a keyboard your optimal keys are buttons surrounding the WASD keys. 1-4 are valuable keys based on that criteria. 5 and 6 are alright. 7-0 + - and = are bad.

So having quick and easy access to all of those keys on your mouse gives you 5 more effective keys and eliminates your need to use your keyboard for all of 1 through =. That makes keys like z,x, and c even more effective since your fingers are never above the W.

They also generally come with additional buttons beyond the ones I just mentioned. For instance my current mouse which is similar to the naga has 8 additional programmable buttons.

The end result is that with smart keymapping you  can map out A LOT of abilities for quick usage. At this point I even have things like my mount set to a hotkey so I can pull it out faster when I need to give chase or escape.
    Then I'm an idiot for not using it when playing MMO's. How does it help in FPS? I guess the same principle? I don't consider that cheating at all. It is just better ergonomics, that's completely different then aim-bot and all the other crap. I guess I'll be buying a gaming mouse instead of the $13 piece of crap I ordered from China off Amazon. The first one broke on me, but the second one may take awhile, so that could be my back up, LOL. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix

P.S. I hate the fact that I'm cheap in a super dumb ass way. I balk at spending $40-50 for a good mouse and buy a cheap piece of crap for $13, yet I bought an $80k car :(. penny-wise and pound-foolish. 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited June 2017
    Eldurian said:
    The additional buttons. In games with a lot of abilities one of the biggest advantages you can have is quick/easy access to your abilities. Since playing Darkfall one the firsts thing I do in every MMO I go to is spend an hour our two optimizing my keybindings so I can quickly access all of my most used abilities.

On a keyboard your optimal keys are buttons surrounding the WASD keys. 1-4 are valuable keys based on that criteria. 5 and 6 are alright. 7-0 + - and = are bad.

So having quick and easy access to all of those keys on your mouse gives you 5 more effective keys and eliminates your need to use your keyboard for all of 1 through =. That makes keys like z,x, and c even more effective since your fingers are never above the W.

They also generally come with additional buttons beyond the ones I just mentioned. For instance my current mouse which is similar to the naga has 8 additional programmable buttons.

The end result is that with smart keymapping you  can map out A LOT of abilities for quick usage. At this point I even have things like my mount set to a hotkey so I can pull it out faster when I need to give chase or escape.
    Then I'm an idiot for not using it when playing MMO's. How does it help in FPS? I guess the same principle? I don't consider that cheating at all. It is just better ergonomics, that's completely different then aim-bot and all the other crap. I guess I'll be buying a gaming mouse instead of the $13 piece of crap I ordered from China off Amazon. The first one broke on me, but the second one may take awhile, so that could be my back up, LOL. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix

P.S. I hate the fact that I'm cheap in a super dumb ass way. I balk at spending $40-50 for a good mouse and buy a cheap piece of crap for $13, yet I bought an $80k car :(. penny-wise and pound-foolish. 

Here is my personal recommendation:

Red Dragon Perdition

The angles on the buttons make it a lot easier to use. The hardest part of learning to use a gaming mouse is learning to tell what button your finger is on by touch. This is easier on the perdition, and should always go a bit faster even once you learn the layout of your mouse much better.

I'm using a more expensive Red Dragon mouse but I found the addition of 4 more programmable buttons on the side is a bit too much and makes it harder for you to hit the right button. At least for someone with huge fingers like me. I'll be switching back to a Perdition whenever my current mouse craps out.

Kyleran
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Kyleran said:
    Eldurian said:
    ZionBane said:
    This is a great question.

As an older player with my hand-eye coordination (as well as my hands and eyes) in decline, I use programs like the Macro's off Razer,  (which I have the Naga and Orbweaver), I do this, because I realized that it's the only way I will ever be even remotely competitive, and by competitive.. I mean I can barely beat people that suck as bad as I do.

So I have come to realize that the only reason why anyone uses Aim-Bots, and other cheats, is because they realize that they lack the skills and abilities to effectively play the game as intended, and there is no other way they will ever be able to win, or even be competitive without these programs.

It must be harsh to realize you suck that bad.. but.. I guess that is why they seem to trash talk so much.

Truth is,no matter how you slice it, when someone uses a hack-program, the only reason why they would do this, is for the same reasons I use macros',  they admit freely that they don't have what it takes to play the game as intended, and never will.

I guess the difference between them and me, however, is I need a minor helping hand, they need to be carried. 
    I'll let you in on a secret.

High end gear like the naga isn't a crutch for bad players.

It's a prerequisite for becoming a top end player. Playing a game without a higher end gaming mouse/keyboard is kind of like showing up for a race in an unupgraded Ford Taurus. If you want to get into any kind of competitive play, even the high end of casual, you need to have gear that matches that level of play or you are unnecessarily nerfing yourself.

Aim-bots are another story. If you are caught using those you get banned which is the strict dividing line between playing smart and being a cheater. 
    Well both are crutches (or tools if you prefer) and some players don't discern between legal and illegal tools, whatever it takes to win is their only concern.

Do you feel bad or experience any sort of dissatisfaction for using high end gear knowing it perhaps gave you an unfair advantage?

I would personally but you don't as it's viewed by you and others as vital to winning which anyone who wants to be competitive should be doing.

Cheaters feel the same about the hacks, aimbots and exploits they use, just tools to win which anyone is free to use.

They just don't share your same moral code, but then again neither do I. 
    This is exactly my point, people who use Aim-bots, know they don't have the skills or the ability to play the game as intended, and thus need those programs.

It's gotta rough to the ego to realize that you have literally no skill or ability to play a game you want to play (that does explain the often voile nature of these people) I mean, needing an Aim-Bots and other hack programs like, you might as well just admit to everyone you suck at the game, if you didn't, you wouldn't need the programs.

Now maybe you believe that a win is a win, no matter what the method, and that's fine, but that does not change the fact that you don't have the skills to play the game as intended, hence why you need a program to play it for you.

Anyway, like I said. The only reason why anyone would use an Aim-bot or other hack program, is if they lacked the skill and ability to play the game as intended. Their level of incompetency being directly proportional to how much help they use.
    Eldurian said:

You can optimize that even further with specialized keyboards or keyboard alternatives though I've always found a good gaming mouse to be sufficient for my needs. I'd imagine the specialized keyboards would work best for a hardcore RTS players who have A LOT of hotkeys they should be using.
    This is why I use an orb Weaver, I can use the Thumb Stick to control WASD Motions, so I don't tire my fingers out holding down a button ,it also frees up my 4 main fingers for Abilities and Interactions, and the 10 buttons on the Naga, make combat on the thumb pretty easy, my fingers they get tired way too fast on a keyboard, in fact I can feel my joints stiff up as I type out this post.. but baby.. set up that naga and orbweaver.. and I can play for a hour straight no problems... maybe two.. if I get a large enough free time window, it makes the hour count.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Some people want to win at any cost? Why else cheat? People have been cheating since the history of humanity. You really think video games of any sort is going to change some people cheating and some not?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Eldurian said:

The problem with cheaters is they are doing things that will get you kicked out if you are discovered. In extreme cases like steroids you are damaging your body to win a game. In lesser cases like aimbots you are just chancing permaban. It not only violates the spirit of the competition but it violates your own interests. It's like people who smoke to look cool. Looking back I don't think many of them will tell you it was worth it.

To me at least, there is a far greater satisfaction beating people within the rules.
    Realize a significant part of the enjoyment cheaters get is the satisfaction from knowing they got away with it.

A form of griefing really, nothing warms their dark hearts than someone else accusing them of cheating, yet unable to actually stop them.

Some probably don't even need to cheat, they do so because they thrill to it.

Since you aren't of the same mind set you'll never truly comprehend their motivations, but I'm fairly certain they derive great satisfaction from their efforts.

Playing EVE I've run across a number of cheaters in my day and trust me, none were having any remorse for their actions.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    ZionBane said:
    Kyleran said:
    Eldurian said:
    ZionBane said:

As an older player with my hand-eye coordination (as well as my hands and eyes) in decline, I use programs like the Macro's off Razer,  (which I have the Naga and Orbweaver), I do this, because I realized that it's the only way I will ever be even remotely competitive, and by competitive.. I mean I can barely beat people that suck as bad as I do.

So I have come to realize that the only reason why anyone uses Aim-Bots, and other cheats, is because they realize that they lack the skills and abilities to effectively play the game as intended, and there is no other way they will ever be able to win, or even be competitive without these programs.

It must be harsh to realize you suck that bad.. but.. I guess that is why they seem to trash talk so much.

Truth is,no matter how you slice it, when someone uses a hack-program, the only reason why they would do this, is for the same reasons I use macros',  they admit freely that they don't have what it takes to play the game as intended, and never will.

I guess the difference between them and me, however, is I need a minor helping hand, they need to be carried. 

It's a prerequisite for becoming a top end player. Playing a game without a higher end gaming mouse/keyboard is kind of like showing up for a race in an unupgraded Ford Taurus. If you want to get into any kind of competitive play, even the high end of casual, you need to have gear that matches that level of play or you are unnecessarily nerfing yourself.

Aim-bots are another story. If you are caught using those you get banned which is the strict dividing line between playing smart and being a cheater. 
    Well both are crutches (or tools if you prefer) and some players don't discern between legal and illegal tools, whatever it takes to win is their only concern.

Do you feel bad or experience any sort of dissatisfaction for using high end gear knowing it perhaps gave you an unfair advantage?

I would personally but you don't as it's viewed by you and others as vital to winning which anyone who wants to be competitive should be doing.

Cheaters feel the same about the hacks, aimbots and exploits they use, just tools to win which anyone is free to use.

This is exactly my point, people who use Aim-bots, know they don't have the skills or the ability to play the game as intended, and thus need those programs.

It's gotta rough to the ego to realize that you have literally no skill or ability to play a game you want to play (that does explain the often voile nature of these people) I mean, needing an Aim-Bots and other hack programs like, you might as well just admit to everyone you suck at the game, if you didn't, you wouldn't need the programs.

Now maybe you believe that a win is a win, no matter what the method, and that's fine, but that does not change the fact that you don't have the skills to play the game as intended, hence why you need a program to play it for you.

Anyway, like I said. The only reason why anyone would use an Aim-bot or other hack program, is if they lacked the skill and ability to play the game as intended. Their level of incompetency being directly proportional to how much help they use.
    Yeah, you are taking the high road but cheaters don't care, they see you as the sucker for giving them an advantage.

They really don't suffer from the emotional conflicts you describe, in fact from my observation they revel in it.

Not something a non cheater can really understand, just have to learn to deal with it.
    ZionBane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    These are not my words but I read it on some Steam forum a while ago...

"Because they aren't skilled enough to win without them"
    ZionBane
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I cheat on my taxes, does that count? ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Winning has nothing to do with why most cheaters cheat. It's simply fun for them to do it.
    I agree. Even though they have the advantage by cheating. 
    Kyleran
    Kyleran said:
    ZionBane said:
    Kyleran said:
    Eldurian said:
    ZionBane said:

Yeah, you are taking the high road but cheaters don't care, they see you as the sucker for giving them an advantage.

They really don't suffer from the emotional conflicts you describe, in fact from my observation they revel in it.

Not something a non cheater can really understand, just have to learn to deal with it.
    Anyone that could win without cheats (IE: Aim-Bots), would just use their skill and ability to Win. No one is going to cheat if they have no need to cheat.

Players cheat, because they suck at playing the game, and they know it.

Now my feels on the matter, are, I would never ban a cheater, in fact, I would never even let them know I knew they were cheating to stat with. Once a Cheater was discovered, I put a flag on their account, and set the system up so that they would only be able to play each other. That way, they keep all their game progress, they keep all their money investment, and would not need to make a new account wasting my data space, and.. on top of all that, as I see it, if everyone is cheating in the match, then it's fair game again, right?