Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thought about it...But no

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
$5.99 on steam.  It seems like now or never.  This game was hyped to no end, but I was never interested in a solo centric Asian grinder with a heavy pocket cash shop.  This has become the new standard.  

However, it's tempting because at this moment this is where the focus is and it's hard to not be part of.  It's like all your friends are going to Joe's Tavern and you staying at home.......Also its $5.99 with only 40 hours left, better jump on it now, cause it's now or never.  At least that's how I'm thing right now ! 

After watching many Youtubes, I find I'm on the fence.  The few dollars is pocket change.  I could simply ignore the shop, mind my own business and pick a trade and run with it making money along the way.... It may not be so bad.

On the other hand as few have stated, the motivation is to get people looking at the cash shop for the potential of spending hundreds and thousands...... So pay them $5.99 so you can view their cash shop...... So you pay them to try and trick you ! 

Well, after watching this video, I decided no..... It seems you get no place by simply picking a trade skill to make some money.  To me it's like being in a poor part of town, where your among 10 others trying to block traffic to sell your apples.  So it's final, the money is nothing.  I'll not waste two weeks trying to like something that's a scam.

Here's the video that opened my eyes and changed my mind

ScorchienGdemami

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    $5.99 on steam.  It seems like now or never.  This game was hyped to no end, but I was never interested in a solo centric Asian grinder with a heavy pocket cash shop.  This has become the new standard.  

However, it's tempting because at this moment this is where the focus is and it's hard to not be part of.  It's like all your friends are going to Joe's Tavern and you staying at home.......Also its $5.99 with only 40 hours left, better jump on it now, cause it's now or never.  At least that's how I'm thing right now ! 

After watching many Youtubes, I find I'm on the fence.  The few dollars is pocket change.  I could simply ignore the shop, mind my own business and pick a trade and run with it making money along the way.... It may not be so bad.

On the other hand as few have stated, the motivation is to get people looking at the cash shop for the potential of spending hundreds and thousands...... So pay them $5.99 so you can view their cash shop...... So you pay them to try and trick you ! 

Well, after watching this video, I decided no..... It seems you get no place by simply picking a trade skill to make some money.  To me it's like being in a poor part of town, where your among 10 others trying to block traffic to sell your apples.  So it's final, the money is nothing.  I'll not waste two weeks trying to like something that's a scam.

funny stuff...

The Horse ... !PARKING! ..................always gets a chuckle out of me ... !PARKING!... why lmao
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Despite the vulgarity and hyperbole of that video, it pretty much describes what's wrong with BDO.  Endgame consists of going afk-fishing, minimizing the game window, and coming back to sell fish; rinse & repeat.  Time-limited packs is another major issue i have with the game too.  People will no doubt defend the game and claim it's not needed, but then you're still left with a shallow game anyway, which consists of world pvp only.
    Confondu
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for letting us know as to why you wont be buying stuff...? Keep us posted on more stuff you wont buy....This could've easily been adding into one of the 10+ threads on BDO hitting steam ya know...special snowflake syndrome I swear.
    JeleenaCaffynatedJemAs666MrMelGibsonSQTOxyzercrimewaynejr2
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    You aren't missing much, OP. I tried it out, it's pretty and I found the combat itself to be enjoyable, but don't let the fanbois lie to you: BDO has the worst texture pop-in the genre has ever seen. It's a jarring, immersion-destroying thing, and after trying my damndest  to like the game for the month or so I lasted, I still have no idea how people can play it without their eyes hurting. When the only excuses you get are "you get used to it" or the ever-popular "it's your PC", you know you've got a problem.

Don't let the fanbois fool you on the cash shop, either: it sells direct advantages over other players (underwear, anyone?) and so by most sane peoples' definition, it is p2w. I know the MMO stable is in bad shape now, and I was hoping this one would be good, but most of its "features" are either money-driven (enchanting, which can of course be bought), or overblown and grindy (life skills, fishing, etc).
    Gdemamiholdenhamlet
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Well, after watching this video, I decided no..... It seems you get no place by simply picking a trade skill to make some money. 

Which is why the richest people in game are traders, right?
    The vast majority of my own money comes from life skills, not grinding.
    KyleranConstantineMerus

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It boils down to if you can play the game without trying to "keep up".  I highly recommend the game for casual life skills players that are not focused on PvPing on an elite level.  If you can't let go of being the top 1% of the game and you only are playing for PvP, I would not recommend this.
    URMAKERlaxieKyleranCaffynatedAzaron_Nightbladetime007pappacube
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    If you're not in it for the PvP, it's a solid buy.

Most of the problems manifest themselves in end-game. If you're trying to compete against others, with virtually no ceiling on progression, there are bound to be issues.

I'd say the game is worth buying purely to experience the design. There are lots of unique features in there, that are weaved together differently to your common themepark. The early game progression is really comfortable, letting you explore a decent area without the need to grind anything. You can easily reach the main town and get lost in the crafting systems, which is what I did for a few weeks at launch.

The cash shop is overpriced, but not overwhelming. It is perfectly viable to not use it - probably more so than other games. Most of the western AAA MMOs are more restrictive, where you literally feel like a low-tier citizen if you don't pay a subscription. I never felt like that in BDO, there is no clear gap between payers and non-payers, which is really nice.

If you're prepared to give it a fair chance, I think it's a decent purchase. Worst case scenario, you get to see all the systems and decide they're not for you. Because they're quite unique, experiencing it and not liking it is still worth the purchase in my opinion.
    Kyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    If you see everything as a race you usually turn into that draining experience, just poking around do your own things, otherwise the endgame will melt you and destroy your soul.
    SovrathConstantineMerus
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I suppose it's good to know what you like and what you don't like.

Having said that, it seems that he is not one for Asian grind games and would prefer a game more like World of Warcraft or The Secret World. Or even Elder Scrolls online for that matter.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I'll do a self reality check: 

A few years ago I played Darkfall Unholy Wars.  My first full loot PvP mmo. 

It had a leveling system called Prowess and safe zones where you can level up this Prowess.  I joined a nice guild with a well established voice chat guild and it was cool.  So nice I took a weeks vacation and played it like crazy to build Prowess. 

When I got to 3,000 Prowess I was getting my butt kicked.  So I asked the guild how much do I need ?..... 6,000 was the answer..... Well, that's a lot I told myself, but I could do it.  Several days of grinding in the sewer I achieved the 6,000 Prowess and got my ass kicked again.  So I asked my guild how much Prowess do I need ?.... 12,000 was the answer.... Well I grinded all week and got my 12,000.  It was work, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in a video game and a weeks vacation..... Still I was worthless as I began to see the average player with 100,000 and way above that. Yes you also had to learn strict combat, but that's another story, because you also need vital Prowess.

I told myself never again !!!

Now putting that aside, think about this......You'll be doing this in Black Desert Online, but for far less reason..... To avoid a greedy cash shop :(

Gdemami
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    its an Asian arcade Street Fighter Console games basically...not intrested

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    All the way until cap you left-click to win because they give you such OP gear and once you hit cap you AoE farm mobs. 
    That is literally the entire game unless you enjoy the economy sim part of it...which is the best part imo.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'll do a self reality check: 

A few years ago I played Darkfall Unholy Wars.  My first full loot PvP mmo. 

It had a leveling system called Prowess and safe zones where you can level up this Prowess.  I joined a nice guild with a well established voice chat guild and it was cool.  So nice I took a weeks vacation and played it like crazy to build Prowess. 

When I got to 3,000 Prowess I was getting my butt kicked.  So I asked the guild how much do I need ?..... 6,000 was the answer..... Well, that's a lot I told myself, but I could do it.  Several days of grinding in the sewer I achieved the 6,000 Prowess and got my ass kicked again.  So I asked my guild how much Prowess do I need ?.... 12,000 was the answer.... Well I grinded all week and got my 12,000.  It was work, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in a video game and a weeks vacation..... Still I was worthless as I began to see the average player with 100,000 and way above that. Yes you also had to learn strict combat, but that's another story, because you also need vital Prowess.

I told myself never again !!!

Now putting that aside, think about this......You'll be doing this in Black Desert Online, but for far less reason..... To avoid a greedy cash shop :(

I liked DFUW a lot, as a somewhat carebear.  I knew better than to think I was going to compete in one on one PvP successfully and it wasn't due to the prowess or gear gap.  It was due to the high skill ceiling that some of these crazy teens could achieve in that game.  BDO is like the prowess system on steroids.  Gear couldn't really destroy you in DFUW...it can in BDO.  You may be making a good decision if you thought being rolled in DFUW was too much.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    edited May 2017

Thank you for this, I was really on the fence and after playing the trial I could not think of any reason to play this for pve over guild wars 2, gw2 certainly has its flaws but man the only thing I enjoyed about bdo was the combat.

And seriously rented costumes? Wow that is beyond insane, huge huge huge huge red flags, and timed dye wow that is a brand new low.
    Gdemami
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Costumes aren't rented. I bought one last year for my Witch, and can still use it today. And dyes are permanent too...though they DO have a 30 day period I believe, or maybe 15 days, but the dye doesn't disappear from your armor/outfit, you just can't change/add more dye.

I do have a huge negative (well two) are the temporary housing furnitures, and temporary pets. I think thats stupid. Never played an MMO where my house decorations are temporary or my pets are temporary.
    Azaron_Nightblade

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    This thread was so helpful. Please do a new thread on every single game forum to let us know about your purchasing decisions. Your views are unique and important. They should stand out of the rest of the plebeians who post in existing threads.
    xyzercrime
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited May 2017
    I can honestly say I enjoyed the video. Not because most of the opinions listed are true (which they are), but because the presentation was so over the top it was hilarious.
    Best tirade was "go kill 100 of those; go kill 500 of these; go kill 1000 of them; go stick your d/ck in a blender!" Cracked me up.
    !PARKING!

Azaron_Nightblade
    This thread was so helpful. Please do a new thread on every single game forum to let us know about your purchasing decisions. Your views are unique and important. They should stand out of the rest of the plebeians who post in existing threads.

Watch the video.... This game is crap

Gdemami
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I can honestly say I enjoyed the video. Not because most of the opinions listed are true (which they are), but because the presentation was so over the top it was hilarious.
    Best tirade was "go kill 100 of those; go kill 500 of these; go kill 1000 of them; go stick your d/ck in a blender!" Cracked me up.
    !PARKING!

BDO isn't a game about questing. They mostly exist to guide you to places that you should be grinding at your level, and you will likely kill far more of the listed mobs than the quest asks you to because you level by grinding, not questing.

If the video maker was too ignorant to understand that very basic concept (most quests giving literally 0 XP should have been a big hint), then his opinions aren't worth much.

Watch the video.... This game is crap

The video was crap. It had as much value as a review of a ping pong paddle that complains the paddle tastes like wood.
    Azaron_NightbladeSovrathxyzercrimeConstantineMerus
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Costumes aren't rented. I bought one last year for my Witch, and can still use it today. And dyes are permanent too...though they DO have a 30 day period I believe, or maybe 15 days, but the dye doesn't disappear from your armor/outfit, you just can't change/add more dye.

I do have a huge negative (well two) are the temporary housing furnitures, and temporary pets. I think thats stupid. Never played an MMO where my house decorations are temporary or my pets are temporary.
    How are pets and housing decorations temporary?
    I've never had a pet disappear O.O

And housing items only get worn out if you use that special buff. Which I never do, as I consider it to be pretty worthless anyway, given travel times.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MaldreanMaldrean Member UncommonPosts: 12
    to be honest with bdo  if u like to grind the game is for you!
    The lvling is ez up to 50   51 to 55 it gets harder every lvl then 56 its ruff from 61 to 62 is 1700 hours of no looting griding none stop.
    the cash shop you have to pay for weight and inventory size bank size and if you don t but a costume you look like crap.
    you can buy somthings out of the AH for the toon but not weight or inventory space .
    you can breed pets to make them loot faster and by breed i mean spend 22 bucks for 2 pets and put them toghter and (hope) you get the pet you want   witch it can fail and you get the same tier so your out the 11 bucks.

so if you dont like the enchanting in tera or other games like that its just like that but ezer.
    in korea they added a item that you can buy out of the cash shop to get fail stacks that is extrem pay to win.
    it is  a fun game to play and it gives you a reason to stay loged on but once you get to 56 there is almost nothing to do but grind for hours on end
    lvl 55 to 56 takes 2 or 3 hours  lvl 56 to 57 takes  60 hours no joke.
    there is no lvl cap and right now max in korea is 62 and you lose 2% exp every time you die!!!
    But if you buy a cash shop item you only lose 1%  it costs 50cents    so ya i am back to playing wow cuse i can pay for my month sub and play the game anyway i want   thanks for you time and good luck out there
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited May 2017
    moonbound said:

Thank you for this, I was really on the fence and after playing the trial I could not think of any reason to play this for pve over guild wars 2, gw2 certainly has its flaws but man the only thing I enjoyed about bdo was the combat.

And seriously rented costumes? Wow that is beyond insane, huge huge huge huge red flags, and timed dye wow that is a brand new low.
    Costumes aren't rented and any dye that you actually own and use is permanent.

It's "Merv's Pallete" that is not permanent. This is a perk from the monthly pack you can purchase.

and to put it in perspective, I'll use the monthly pack but all the dyes I use are the permanent dyes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I took this testimonial from the steam discussions on P2W:

Yes. It is Pay-2-Win. In order to be on-par with someone else and actually able to participate in end-game farming, you will need to spend money on the game.

You can buy pets that loot items for you, cosmetic costumes that give your character a stat boost, inventory slots, increased weight(Every items had a weight associated to it, this is the largest bottleneck when it comes to the amount you can carry. You can buy weight increase in the cash shop and it's going to be required for most end-game content). On top of all of this you can buy things like Storage maids that allows you to Store items in your Storage when you're out farming, Worker lodging, Town storage etc.

People who tell you that this game isn't pay-to-win are delusional. The $5 price tag is only a small fraction of what you're going to have to pay if you want to get anything out of the game.

People also say that you can buy many of these things on the market place. That is true. But the thing is that the way the market works is that all the prices are fixed, almost no one buys cash shop items to sell on the market place. Because of this, items are bought straight away, you can go weeks or months without buying a single cash shop items even if you camp the market place.

I've bid on hundreds, possibly thousands of cash shop items and never won a single one.

Save your time and your money unless you're willing to drop a lot of money on this game. There are significantly better pay-to-play game out there such as The Elder Scrolls: Online or Guild War 2.

Now, I'm all for companies to make money.  Hay, even a huge profit..... But pay them $5.99 is to trick you ?.......First was release, this is the second round to top off more people that can be scammed !

It's a well thought out plan with all Asian grinders,  Make a real nice fun game that can get players sucked in for ABOUT A WEEK..... Then whack them..... Standard operating procedures ! 

Gdemami
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Rubbish as is the video. I played this game with no extra purchases and loved it. I say to those of you wanting to try the game. Actually play it and try the different systems in it and you might just enjoy it. Don't take the words of people who have their own agenda and play it your own way and it might prove to be enjoyable.
    Azaron_Nightbladecheyane

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I thought about it, watched many guides, read many articles before the purchase, and went for it.
    1- recently i'Ve found that if people like something, I dislike it. If they dislike something, I like it.
    2- again recently found that for a stellar quality game like this, you need to spend some money. Lots of sheeple here paid $$$ for andromeda effect  bullcrap, and even more crap like fallout4 and eso: morrowind which gives you basically nothing.

I made my peace with the cash shop. I earn money and spend it for my hobbies, while knowing the limits and the equilibrium of time-money-performance. 

Seems to me bdo forums here fulfilled with whether fanboys or confused people who tends to lean for negative as soon as thy read-hear something.

man up. Play it, then decide it. With 5 dollars entry, nothing in irl gives you hours of entertainment.not even a shitty bar that couple shitty bands take stage.

beLIEve