Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online now has over 28K players on STEAM

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Solar_Prophet said:

We live in a day and age where students demand free psychological counseling because the college they attend invited someone they don't agree with to give a speech. Emotionally stunted doesn't even begin to describe how messed up people are these days. 
    That's a lot of words. You could have just said 'millenials' and saved yourself two sentences. I would have known exactly what you meant. :*
    That's a wonderfully erroneous generalization.

No worries. I have tons more where that came from.

TalonsinMadFrenchieCecropia

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Steam numbers dont mean much except for steam 'exclusive' titles. If you can log onto it any other way then the numbers dont mean jack.

I bought BDO for the 6 buck, I havent even registered yet.
    RexKushman
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    While I agree that the current population is booming, you have to consider the game has only been out on steam for a few days.  Give it 2 months and then you can start to compare its steam numbers with other MMO's.

I am having a good time in game though.
    observerorthene
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited May 2017
    The 15K number is around the high tier MMO's on Steam that do mainly get their pops outside steam, around the same as FFIV and ESO, they can go from 5-15k as their normal peaks.

The game is doing just fine as it is, stability of player base is one ongoing thing that will come and go as they release updates to expand the game

I guess some people are salty because when BDO added the cash shop they made this HUGE drama that the game had its days numbered and that did not and is not happening. 
  • ntaos21ntaos21 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Give it one month...
    orthene
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    BDO would be 100% better if they dropped all this enchantment system and put in some serious gear drops such as in EQ2.

Alomarorthene
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Took me less than 2 hours to realize the game has zero meat on the bone there is nothing to this game just another cash grab asian grinder. 
    kadajvolajuDullahanAlomarortheneErevus
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    psiic said:
    Took me less than 2 hours to realize the game has zero meat on the bone there is nothing to this game just another cash grab asian grinder. 
    took me 2 secs to see that you like to talk off from your arse. No I mean it.
    Now i wonder why the 2 hour latency in your brain? What made you think during those 2 hours?
    Please explain.
    CaffynatedAlomarorthene

beLIEve

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2017
    Solar_Prophet said:

We live in a day and age where students demand free psychological counseling because the college they attend invited someone they don't agree with to give a speech. Emotionally stunted doesn't even begin to describe how messed up people are these days. 
    That's a lot of words. You could have just said 'millenials' and saved yourself two sentences. I would have known exactly what you meant. :*

more than likely Solar is making that comment based on something that he heard in the news that is 100% a lie.

I joke not

#rednecksbelieveanything

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I think BDO marches to its own drumbeat and that is good. I am happy for the game and hope it continues to grow.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie
    Chamber of Chains
    edited May 2017
    cheyane said:
    I think BDO marches to its own drumbeat and that is good. I am happy for the game and hope it continues to grow.
    from what I have seen in video I dont think anything they are doing is really 'its own drumbeat' from what I have seen it very much looks same old same old.

this image is a good example:
    http://i1.2pcdn.com/node14/image/article/201310/22/20131022032842a0dm1267ovux7ks7.jpg

it contains all my standard complaints

DistopiaTheScavengerorthene

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The first weekend only tells about how many people bought it and Black desert requires a minimal amount of money to purchase so lots of people will give it a spin. Its more interesting to see how large the population is once the initial attention is gone.

I will be impressed if it still peaks above 10k a month from now.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    The first weekend only tells about how many people bought it and Black desert requires a minimal amount of money to purchase so lots of people will give it a spin. Its more interesting to see how large the population is once the initial attention is gone.

I will be impressed if it still peaks above 10k a month from now.
    good point, a lot of community hyper attention over the sale of something that currently is less than what I would pay at McDondalds for a meal

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Thing is like I said that only reflect STEAM numbers. The game has been out for years. Not sure how long here in the west but close to 2 I think. SO many people already own it. Anyone who didnt might buy it on Steam now, and especially for the price tag its at.

As it is I would suspect the numbers to crater because quite frankly youre only getting people who didnt buy it when it initially launched and who maybe only bought it this time because it was less than a cup of coffee. Their long term prospects (for good Steam numbers) are dubious at best. Sure you might win over a few hundred of them but thats not nearly enough. But its a realistic expectation.

Ark is one of the most successful Steam games ever. It has sold about 5 million copies. EXCLUSIVELY on Steam. They have around 45-50K concurrent numbers these days (and that includes the expansion and private 'servers'{individual computer}) The all time high was just over 100K. BDO by comparison has sold 70K units on Steam the past 3 or 4 days. Theyre getting new peaks as it goes and 15K and change was the most. Its along holiday weekend which may hurt or help depending.

Kyleran
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited May 2017
    Just now 16k:

Post edited by Dragnelus on

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    BDO released on steam few day ago, right? And we all know how cheap game is so it's very likely lots of ppl will buy and try this game :)....I was blind too, I saw nice graphics, big open world, action combat so I bought the game when released for full price - but reality is, I didn't like this game at all, dunno why I was so bored of it and not even fan of action combat in this game (prefered B&S combat, even Tera's combat). I believe BDO will have quite nice playerbase but definitely not 15k on steam (OP thinks numbers will go up but I woudn't say so). So can you please post your steam numbers in one month? One month seems to be not enough but imo we'll see reasonable decrease of players on steam within this short time of one month :))
    DullahanAlomarorthene
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2017
    kertin said:
    BDO released on steam few day ago, right? And we all know how cheap game is so it's very likely lots of ppl will buy and try this game :)....I was blind too, I saw nice graphics, big open world, action combat so I bought the game when released for full price - but reality is, I didn't like this game at all, dunno why I was so bored of it and not even fan of action combat in this game (prefered B&S combat, even Tera's combat). I believe BDO will have quite nice playerbase but definitely not 15k on steam (OP thinks numbers will go up but I woudn't say so). So can you please post your steam numbers in one month? One month seems to be not enough but imo we'll see reasonable decrease of players on steam within this short time of one month :))

The haters just cant give it up. Game has been out over a year and they are still saying wait a month. Whats supposed to happen in a month? LMAO

The topic clearly states the game has almost 15K players on STEAM. This is not my opinion about the game. It is a FACT.

I know the STEAM numbers will level off after time. No where have I said anything about numbers going up. 

No one cars how you fell about the game. No one cares if you play or dont play. 

The game has been doing great with out you and will continue to do great with out you. 

Black Desert proved the haters wrong and become a successful mmo. 

Next time dont make the same mistake and bet against a game just because YOU do not like it.  B)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    cheyane said:
    from what I have seen in video I dont think anything they are doing is really 'its own drumbeat' from what I have seen it very much looks same old same old.

this image is a good example:
    http://i1.2pcdn.com/node14/image/article/201310/22/20131022032842a0dm1267ovux7ks7.jpg

it contains all my standard complaints

If there is one thing that BDO is not... it's "same old, same old"
    GdemamiPhry

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Not surprised BDO is doing well on Steam. They are selling the game for cheap!!
    holdenhamlet

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Recore said:
    kertin said:

The haters just cant give it up. Game has been out over a year and they are still saying wait a month. Whats supposed to happen in a month? LMAO

The topic clearly states the game has almost 15K players on STEAM. This is not my opinion about the game. It is a FACT.

I know the STEAM numbers will level off after time. No where have I said anything about numbers going up. 

No one cars how you fell about the game. No one cares if you play or dont play. 

The game has been doing great with out you and will continue to do great with out you. 

Black Desert proved the haters wrong and become a successful mmo. 

Next time dont make the same mistake and bet against a game just because YOU do not like it.  B)

well, you said this: "15K on STEAM not overall. 

Not bad for only being on STEAM for 5 days."

So yeah you didn't say numbers will go up on steam literally but it seems like you expect those numbers going up for future days (reason why I said you think those numbers will go up)...and sure, 15k on STEAM is fact :). I'm not even talking about BDO being successful or not at all (talked only about steam "release" and steam numbers). And as you could read I even expect BDO doing fine in future...only thing I said is that steam numbers will go down in one month (I expect 30-40% decrease, but it's just my personal prediction).

And yes, I don't like BDO but not sure about being hater of this game but if I am, whatever, right?
    Ohh, I have to absolutely agree with you that no one cares if I play or not and how I feel about this game so +1, you're right :)
    SEANMCAD said:
    Solar_Prophet said:

more than likely Solar is making that comment based on something that he heard in the news that is 100% a lie.

I joke not

#rednecksbelieveanything
    Let me guess...

You only watch movies with subtitles, listen to bands no one has heard of, only play fringe indie games no one else cares about, sport an ironic "non-ironic" beard, wear flannel, and in an effort to always be edgy and different, wind up looking, thinking, and acting just like all the other people going out of their way to be edgy and different.

#hipsternonsense

rodarin said:
    Steam numbers dont mean much except for steam 'exclusive' titles. If you can log onto it any other way then the numbers dont mean jack.

I bought BDO for the 6 buck, I havent even registered yet.

So did I, except I didn't realize you couldn't use your existing account so I got a refund. Really Steam numbers are only going to reflect new accounts. Anyone who invested a lot of time in BDO isn't going to start over on Steam.
    Kyleran

edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Solar_Prophet said:

I joke not

#rednecksbelieveanything
    Let me guess...

You only watch movies with subtitles, listen to bands no one has heard of, only play fringe indie games no one else cares about, sport an ironic "non-ironic" beard, wear flannel, and in an effort to always be edgy and different, wind up looking, thinking, and acting just like all the other people going out of their way to be edgy and different.

#hipsternonsense

Yes. False dichotomy, belittling and personal offenses. That's exactly what this discussion needs. 

Come on, guys. Stop that.

Grow a sense of humor.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm doing this for comedic effect. Sean is serious.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    What is it about this game that draws irrational hatred from people who don't know anything about it?

Almost all of the criticism is complete nonsense that anyone who has actually played BDO would know is complete fiction.

The game has its flaws.

The devs are RNG obsessed. They even designed the game so that your hidden attributes, health and mana were random.

It's crazy grindy, which isn't a great thing for an action game. It's one thing to grind for hours and hours in a low APM game, but being very active and performing hundreds of APM for hours at a time is very taxing on your hands and I and many people I know have taken extended breaks after experiencing pain and numbness in our hands. Taking frequent rests to relax your hands and do stretches are highly recommended.

The end game content isn't properly rewarded for the difficulty, so everyone farms the same 2 lower level spots. It really needs an overhaul.

People say the game isn't P2W but spending $250+ to max out weight and pets is basically mandatory. You can easily farm 3-4 times more silver per hour than someone without pets and basic weight limits can. Buying them off the in game market is not viable. You need 8-10 pets of the same type to level up just one pet, and you're competing with 100k other people for the few dozen pets that get posted each day. You're not going to win dozens of lotteries. It's just not going to happen.
    Draemos[Deleted User]orthene
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Updated OP.