Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation using Assets from "MMO Starter Kit"?

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I think this should be an expectation. It's been quoted before on multiple occasions by multiple industry veterans that pre-made assets are commonly used. This is no different. 

Wasn't it just you last week who stated that you had MASSIVE concerns that they were using Unreal? Lol, now what? Now the engine is ok and you're onto pre-built assets? LOL!!! 

BTW, if you need citations for the statement that it is COMMON PRACTICE to use pre-built assets when building a game or prototype, let me know and I'll happily link that, although I'm sure I've linked it to you before, just last week, so I don't know if it would help. You can fix ignorance, you can't fix dumb. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    To be honest I don't mind what tools devs use as long as the game is good. I don't think your screenshot proves that they are using that particular asset though. 
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Shroud of the Avatar, probably the biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever experienced ever, is a cookie cutter fest in game from scenes all the way down to deco items and armor.  And almost all of their assets are purchased from asset stores so it isn't even custom work to begin with, it's a hodgepodge of recycle and resize.  That hodgepodge is the biggest turnoff.

The vision for a game comes from one person, and if that person has people digging through asset stores for everything then who's vision is being realized for the game?  people wonder why Star Citizen is so crazy successful and why people buys ships in concept.  It's because it all comes from Chris Roberts.  He gets influences the entire process and selects what he believes fits into his game and people love it.  For the rest of the crowdfunding industry, he's set an incredibly high bar in that regard... when the scale tips in favor of asset store items over custom work, I see that as a failure in the creative process.

So long as Intrepid creates enough assets to maintain creative ownership of the world in game, I'll be good with some third party stuff.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    I agree.. SOTA is probably the worst example of how to use pre-made assets.

I don't mind if a game uses some, as long as the bulk of the game is their own work.  No need to continually re-create some of the basics.

What really puts me off is if a company starts to simply upload pre-made assets into their store and sell them for $50.  That's just lame.

CrazKanukblorpykinsYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I agree.. SOTA is probably the worst example of how to use pre-made assets.

I don't mind if a game uses some, as long as the bulk of the game is their own work.  No need to continually re-create some of the basics.

What really puts me off is if a company starts to simply upload pre-made assets into their store and sell them for $50.  That's just lame.

Plus, unity has UMA which allows for easy customization of avatars, which means that PG of NPCs is even more accessible than any other engine, based on what I know. So the use of store assets is cool, but once you're in release, there shouldn't be any reason that you can't have varied NPCs. 

Also, I'm on the fence about the whole selling store assets thing. I mean they're trying to fund their ongoing development, I get that, but I don't know that I'm a fan of reselling free store assets in-game. If you can't afford to hire someone to dedicate to creating assets for resale, then that pretty much sums up the state of the game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    If it still offers the same gameplay it doesn't matter if it's ascii graphics or not.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Akulas said:
    If it still offers the same gameplay it doesn't matter if it's ascii graphics or not.
    Depends on the game entirely.  I remember days when it was all about books and graph paper and some of those game sessions I still use in the scale for grading a new game experience.  Some of the newer games though, if the graphics aren't there I just as soon pass.  I like games that tax my rig as well - for me, keeping up with current tech is fun too.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Not surprised considering the designers of the Unreal engine themselves have stated from the beginning the engine is not designed for nor has the capacity to be used for massive multiplayer game design. The net code will NEVER work 200 players and this will become totally unplayable but hey I've learned over the years you can't tell anyone anything here. Try and save people money and disappointment and they just get hostile at you. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    psiic said:
    Not surprised considering the designers of the Unreal engine themselves have stated from the beginning the engine is not designed for nor has the capacity to be used for massive multiplayer game design. The net code will NEVER work 200 players and this will become totally unplayable but hey I've learned over the years you can't tell anyone anything here. Try and save people money and disappointment and they just get hostile at you. 
    as a developer if they told me this my first question would be this 'what about some kind of linked  system? most players never interact with more than 200 people anyway and the server size saying thousands is usually just something to beat off too so maybe link the worlds in separate dedicated servers that are not easy to get back and forth from, but the player statics and economy is shared? I have seen 3 man teams do this'

head explody
    GdemamiExcession

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Placeholders are very common until late in development. 

I saw a game and could tell it would be a hit that only had ascii characters for it's graphics at that time. It had real graphics, won awards, inspired a bunch of clones, and it sold great when it was eventually released. 

Things these days are easily a thousand times more complicated. (That whole game fit on a single side of one floppy disk.) Using placeholders for things, even engine code, is pretty standard. After all, there are plenty of things you can't test unless other parts are there in some form, even if it's not the final one.  So judging someone poorly for using available assets for placeholders is like judging a cake by tasting the flour before the ingredients are mixed and cooked.

Besides, it's not like they are Digital Homicide. (Now there's a horror story to read about.)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Usually when You prototype a game You dont use the models that are made by super artists
    psiic said:

They likely wouldn't use the Unreal netcode. They would probably use some sort of network framework in order to facilitate this. I've actually seen this done in Unity using Photon. I THINK that Photon can also be used in Unreal. It's more of a network layer and should be engine agnostic, I THINK! 

Either way, the whole concurrent player and persistence issue would likely be handled by some sort of add-on or pre-existing networking layer that just does a better job of managing network stuffs. 
    Distopia

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    CrazKanuk said:
    psiic said:

They likely wouldn't use the Unreal netcode. They would probably use some sort of network framework in order to facilitate this. I've actually seen this done in Unity using Photon. I THINK that Photon can also be used in Unreal. It's more of a network layer and should be engine agnostic, I THINK! 

Either way, the whole concurrent player and persistence issue would likely be handled by some sort of add-on or pre-existing networking layer that just does a better job of managing network stuffs. 
    You guys should stop getting hostile. :)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    for a mmorpg and no net code really?? isnt net code the most important part for gameplay i.e. raiding/pvp/gvg???

imo, if they are going the route to develop their own net code this is gonna take at least 5yrs or its gonna be another buggy mess ofc unless they only cater to 20-30 players in zone, not forgetting if world is seamless and net code is crap = game over lmao.

my 2 cents
    Elminzter said:
    for a mmorpg and no net code really?? isnt net code the most important part for gameplay i.e. raiding/pvp/gvg???

imo, if they are going the route to develop their own net code this is gonna take at least 5yrs or its gonna be another buggy mess ofc unless they only cater to 20-30 players in zone, not forgetting if world is seamless and net code is crap = game over lmao.

my 2 cents

No need it's already done

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited May 2017
    Elminzter said:

my 2 cents
    you read it wrong.

its not 'no net code' its 'not netcode' the product. which also doesnt mean they are creating it from scratch.

I dont even know what this game 
    Excession

Sovrath said:

Here is the MMO Starter Kit. Notice the health bars and inventory. You can purchase it here.

Here are images of the assets in the Monster Coin System Preview

I don't think that's really fair.

How long does it take to quickly use some pre-made assets that are pretty much for function as opposed to having your artists sit down (and I suppose a programmer) and make one.

Especially as they want to get a working game up and running as soon as possible.

Players really are their own worst enemy. They want AAA looking titles that operate like Indy Titles, that don't cost them much to anything, they want these games to be put together quickly and they want them great.

They extol the virtues of tools that allow actual indy developers to put together games but you can't use those tools because that means they are thieves and less than.

It's become a bit ridiculous.
    what I find ridiculous is a community that insits each time a game is made the developers have to re-invent the wheel.
    Lets please stop wasting time doing UI for each game, creating toliet models for every bathroom. There is likely millions of years of new innovative ground breaking things developers could do if they didnt have to spend so much time dicking around with what they have already done in the past
    Excession

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Of all the obvious things to be critical of you went with this nonsense? I am disappoint. I expected better trolling from a community as seasoned and cynical as this one. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    donger56 said:
    Of all the obvious things to be critical of you went with this nonsense? I am disappoint. I expected better trolling from a community as seasoned and cynical as this one. 
    New member... :)
    ConstantineMerusKyleran

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Distopia said:
    donger56 said:
    New member... :)
    Agreed, hasn't reached the higher levels of trolling yet, takes years of practice don't you know. ;)
    ConstantineMerusDistopia

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I fail to see the point. Didn't ESO use a bunch of purchased assets as well? Quite a few games do, so....
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Albatroes said:
    I fail to see the point. Didn't ESO use a bunch of purchased assets as well? Quite a few games do, so....
    E-crusaders don't need a point, their agenda is sufficient enough for them.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2017
    Albatroes said:
    Where the art assets come from doesnt much matter, its how they are used in terms of gameplay which really is important.
    DistopiaGolelorn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GismolandGismoland Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Nice to see so many SnowFlakes here already, It's a Freaking ALPHA, nothing is COMPLETE or did you forget to read the NDA and EULA when you signed and bought your way into it? To agree with all the placeholder comments +1, to thoughts that didn't read at all, you should go back to school and learn what Alpha Testing is.