Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Stormblood Brings Big Changes to Jobs & More - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Stormblood Brings Big Changes to Jobs & More - MMORPG.com

We’ve heard for a long time that big changes are coming to FFXIV when Stormblood finally launches — and now, just weeks away from early access, we have an idea of what we’re going to see, thanks to this month’s Letter from the Producer.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Healers have no excuse anymore to not heal in combat you say??? I that is the point of the job..:p All typo jokes aside, the job changes overall look great - can't wait to get back into FF14 with the expansion!
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Excited to experience the changes, hoping for less "spreadsheet management" and more gameplay.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    'Finally, as I suggested in a previous column when it emerged Cleric Stance was being reworked, healers no longer need to enter a stance in order to do meaningful damage. Previously, Cleric Stance would switch intelligence and mind (your damage and healing stats) meaning being in stance would enable you to hurt people but not heal them; in Stormblood, both healing and damage will come from your mind stat. Now there’s no excuse not to heal in combat, because it’s essentially risk-free. Come on. Just throw the odd Aero in. It won’t hurt you.'

This triggered me. Yoshi-P has stated that healer damage is not taken into account when creating dps checks. So do your damn job and quit putting extra pressure on your healer and tank!

Anywho, I like the changes I have seen so far. I think I will be maining Bard. I like the mobility, and the extra support they can bring is great as well.
    DeadSpockKatsaurs
  • marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    This makes me want to come back to the game now....
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Much improved!
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

Avarix said:

'Finally, as I suggested in a previous column when it emerged Cleric Stance was being reworked, healers no longer need to enter a stance in order to do meaningful damage. Previously, Cleric Stance would switch intelligence and mind (your damage and healing stats) meaning being in stance would enable you to hurt people but not heal them; in Stormblood, both healing and damage will come from your mind stat. Now there’s no excuse not to heal in combat, because it’s essentially risk-free. Come on. Just throw the odd Aero in. It won’t hurt you.'

This triggered me. Yoshi-P has stated that healer damage is not taken into account when creating dps checks. So do your damn job and quit putting extra pressure on your healer and tank!

Anywho, I like the changes I have seen so far. I think I will be maining Bard. I like the mobility, and the extra support they can bring is great as well.

There's no pressure to begin with. You group should be avoiding enough damage that you are standing there. If you are standing there, or spending your time healing people that are at 80% health, you are doing it so, so wrong.
    DeadSpock

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    let us not forget that stormblood also brings shortcuts for leveling and that includes completion of the main quest. Now if you hate questing, and a lot of us do, you can skip the main storyline of realm reborn and heavensward which was gating tons of endgame content.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Although not known for its pvp there are massive changes coming to pvp in the xpac too.

They have completely split pvp and pve which now has its own abilities with pve skills not being usable at all in pvp and vice versa. You can select 12 abilities from a pool of skills to provide customisation plus gear is all normalized along with HP.

It sounds like they have really thought things out with the new system.
    [Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Aori said:
    Combat system is still going to be slow, so nothing changes for me :(

This.  I'm spoiled now.
    DeadSpockBuschkatzedoubledrag87
  • KelarleeKelarlee Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Until they make combat system more dynamic, dont think i will return...
    DeadSpockBuschkatzedoubledrag87
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    What makes a combat system dynamic as compared to FFXIV?
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Jamar870 said:
    I think he means that in PvE, everything is scripted in such a way that every single attack used by an enemy will happen in sequence unless a mechanic is skipped or if the enemy gets spin-locked.

Furthermore this bleeds over into a players play style when they aim to achieve the most efficient potency per second available. Every DRK will open with DA->SE->Um->Pl. . .etc, because it is the most mathematically effective use of skills.

Such is the paradigm of tab-target trinity combat.
    [Deleted User]
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited May 2017
    Haha this was hyping me up a little until the very last paragraph.

Thanks for reminding me SE has become a greed driven, empty husk of what it used to be before I threw more money away.
    [Deleted User]
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    parry and accuraccy dissapear

parry now becomes tenacity

-reduce damage taken
    -increases your action) ability damage/damage in general

and acc is supposed to be something like "multistrike" (rumor i think)

Jamar870 said:

I think he means that in PvE, everything is scripted in such a way that every single attack used by an enemy will happen in sequence unless a mechanic is skipped or if the enemy gets spin-locked.

Furthermore this bleeds over into a players play style when they aim to achieve the most efficient potency per second available. Every DRK will open with DA->SE->Um->Pl. . .etc, because it is the most mathematically effective use of skills.

Such is the paradigm of tab-target trinity combat.

they have changed this somehow in HW , with bosses doing random patterns (still scripted as hell )
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited May 2017
    Think it will be a good filler until (mmorpg of the year /wink) Destiny 2 launch, I really hope it launch in sept on the pc with the consoles!

Buschkatze

• z0mb13n1njaz0mb13n1nja Member UncommonPosts: 27
    "groups of jobs (such as tanks) will have a pool of abilities shared between them"

ok so dosent this mean were still going to have to play those classes to unlock the shared abilites? can someone please clarify this change
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

"groups of jobs (such as tanks) will have a pool of abilities shared between them"

ok so dosent this mean were still going to have to play those classes to unlock the shared abilites? can someone please clarify this change

No what it means is that "cross class" crap is basically shared no matter what. So you can activate them on any class instead of having to level in further to get it.
    Buschkatze[Deleted User]z0mb13n1nja
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Jamar870 said:

Such is the paradigm of a game where everyone of any given class uses the same exact skills, in the same exact rotation, because there is no sort of build diversity whatsoever..

Fixed that last line for you. There are plenty of tab-targeting, trinity-based games that allow players some level of freedom in their builds, and more than one tiny action bar. FF XIV is not one of them!
    doubledrag87
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • doubledrag87doubledrag87 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Kelarlee said:

Until they make combat system more dynamic, dont think i will return...

Need to elaborate more on this for people to agree or debate.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    For some1 that dont wanna look at the entire stream to find out the changes to PVP. Can some1 sum it up that knows it?
  • z0mb13n1njaz0mb13n1nja Member UncommonPosts: 27

No what it means is that "cross class" crap is basically shared no matter what. So you can activate them on any class instead of having to level in further to get it.

ty! that makes alot more sense
    Lahuzer said:
    For some1 that dont wanna look at the entire stream to find out the changes to PVP. Can some1 sum it up that knows it?

PvP System Changes

• Level Restriction Removal
      • Any job over level 30 can participate
    • PvP Attributes Determined by Role
      • Tank/Healer/Melee DPS/Range DPS/Caster
      • Gear affects appearance only
    • PvP Hotbars for Each Job

• All PvP Actions are now PvP-specific
      • 9 actions per job + 2 selectable actions + Adrenaline Rush (limit break)
      • Allows for adjustment without affecting PvE balance
    • Direction requirements for Melee DPS have been removed
    • Consolidated combos free up hotbar space
    • Less Complexity = More Maneuverability 

Lahuzer
  • DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287
    edited May 2017
    If you're currently doing early heavensward content, will you be able to skip to stormblood? please say yes ^^
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    This game feels like they are just constantly dumbing it down. Removing stats which were already pretty dumbed down and even not letting you mix stats seems like they are either lazy or trying way too hard to make everything as basic as possible to balance (which will never be truly balanced anyways). Throw in stuff like story and level skipping items and their constant re-skinning of their main 2 types of endgame i'm confused as to why people love this game so much.

I noticed how scripted/linear/repeated everything became back at the start of HW and could not get myself to continue the terrible ladder gear climb where of course content/gear all become completely irrelevant every other patch. It was such a shift from XI that did the complete opposite and handled thing like the story missions with competency by not forcing you into it, but putting great insensitive to complete it (access to special areas or great gear). So what the hell happened here?

Maybe people are starting to take notice, but i see how the comments for posts about this game went from just about everyone praising this game and calling it the best MMO out to now a pretty mixed bag.