Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Answers 'What Is Free to Play?' - Secret World Legends - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFuncom Answers 'What Is Free to Play?' - Secret World Legends - MMORPG.com

Secret World Legends News - Funcom has posted an extensive article on the Secret World Legends site to answer the question, "What is free to play?" The team wanted to lay out in detail exactly what is meant by the term, particularly in light of more than a few questions from the community.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Ah the dreaded "inventory space" on Aurum list :-)
    GorweJoseph_Kerr
  • VeraReimiVeraReimi Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I feel like the game is going to be same as TSW. Nothing else. What I am concerned is that when game is being purchased by many people and changing the business model to Free to Play. I know this should be expected for many online games but let's see how this game delivers.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited May 2017
    It doesn't sound too bad. If you can get Auram through normal game play, which you can..

I'm willing to give it a try.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I'm excited to try it out again. Though from what I've seen, the changes are exaggerated.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• CobraLord1CobraLord1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I hope the changes are good
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Something console this way comes
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Elsabolts said:

I hope they release this on the consoles lol, seems like a perfect console rpg.
    Torval said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Well, consoles have made themselves more relevant. If that's where the money, success, and fun are then it makes sense to cater to that market.

I've spent a lot of money on a nice PC and pay quite abit monthly for internet services, I do not feel Console gaming should be included here at mmorpg. just my personel opion and Funcom has not done right by it gamers for a long time.
    Joseph_KerrmgilbrtsnConstantineMerusRamajamaKyleran
                                            MAGA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Elsabolts said:
    Torval said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Well, consoles have made themselves more relevant. If that's where the money, success, and fun are then it makes sense to cater to that market.

I've spent a lot of money on a nice PC and pay quite abit monthly for internet services, I do not feel Console gaming should be included here at mmorpg. just my personel opion and Funcom has not done right by it gamers for a long time.
    That makes zero sense. The site is not called PCMMORPG.COM
    FF14 and ESO and DCUO and many others are on console. They cover games here not platforms.

The majority of games here are PC not console. The console players mostly are kids or young folks living in mom and dads basement.
    Joseph_KerrRamajamaKyleran
                                            MAGA

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Elsabolts said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Torval said:
    Elsabolts said:

FF14 and ESO and DCUO and many others are on console. They cover games here not platforms.

The majority of games here are PC not console. The console players mostly are kids or young folks living in mom and dads basement.
    You seriously believe that?

Yes, look at the games list . 
                                            MAGA

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited May 2017
    Elsabolts said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Torval said:
    Elsabolts said:

You seriously believe that?

Yes, look at the games list . 
    No this
    The console players mostly are kids or young folks living in mom and dads basement.

Seems overly harsh and generalizing.

It kind of is.

I have a friend who loves games but doesn't want to continually spend money on upgrading and maintaining a pc. He has a family and a rather consuming job so he prefers the consoles as they are plug and play, don't cost a lot for what you can get and they have a variety of games.

Not to say he's representative of every game playing adult but I strongly suspect he's not in the minority of people who want to play games but who don't want to spend oodles of money.
    Joseph_KerrKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Life is harsh in the real world young man and a large amount of young folks live with mom and dad because they can not make it on there own. IMO, as far as consoles for kids look at the games list they can choose from the console makers.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Mabushii
                                            MAGA

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Elsabolts said:
    Life is harsh in the real world young man and a large amount of young folks live with mom and dad because they can not make it on there own. IMO, as far as consoles for kids look at the games list they can choose from the console makers.
    I'm not a young man but fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. Cheers ;)

Cheers :)
                                            MAGA
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    A girl has no name, and a company needs to make money.

In my experience this kind of monetisation model always leads to gameplay where it takes an ungodly amount of grind to save 1$. This is because the developer obviously would rather you spend 1$.

While I have no problem understanding why this happens, I don't think it leads to a focus on fun gameplay.

Free to play should give supporters an option to support the game properly. Look at GGG and Path of Exile. You can create your own unique for $1000, you can buy supporter packs for a few 100$ every so often, and storage space is limited if you don't spend $.

To design the gameplay such that it makes players want to pay just to not have to play is a fundamentaly bad idea. It looks like TSW Legends is going for this PTnP model and that is unfortunate.
    Joseph_KerrKyleran
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Well I have Secret World plus some DLC's. I however have not really played with other people, have tried but nobody really teams up, it feels like a complete online single player game. Thus i kinda got bored of it and dropped out.

I will try Secret World legends, see how that goes and if it has a better multiplayer system involved. But i would rather find a game that is done with community.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2017
    Well I have Secret World plus some DLC's. I however have not really played with other people, have tried but nobody really teams up, it feels like a complete online single player game. Thus i kinda got bored of it and dropped out.

I will try Secret World legends, see how that goes and if it has a better multiplayer system involved. But i would rather find a game that is done with community.
    Since that ship has sailed now, just out of curiousity: ever tried sanctuary or event or noobmares? TSW had one of the best communities out there, with tons of player-made events and grouping even during the last few months of radio silence before Funcom killed it.

Also, just my curiousity: which part of singleplayer with optional co-op gave you the hint of "...and if it has a better multiplayer system involved" ?  If anything it will be less multiplayer and not more, or better... :lol:

edit: find a game that is done with community: come to LotRO. Now that TSW is done, LotRO's community doesn't have to share the "best" title anymore (sadly).
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I wonder what the exchange rate for Marks-to- Aurum is going to be.
  • trostoltrostol Member UncommonPosts: 6
    is it getting a face lift? it needs one badly
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sound like a bunch of rubbish,like they think people are stupid or something.
    You try to BS me with bs you'll never get a dime from me.I rather pay sub fees and be sold a quality game and TSW is neither.

I didn't quit TSW after 3 days because of any monetary system,i quit because the game was just bad.So if they think i would come back and spend money based on some BS ,they are sadly mistaken.
    I'll come right out and put a number on it,MOST of the games in the gaming industry are worth about 20-40 bucks on a ONE TIME sale,nothing more,no cash shops,no gimmicks.However many games are worth nothing,they are like vaporware to me,not interested if even sold in a bargain bin for 2 bucks,i am just not interested.TSW is like that bargain bin game,i am not interested.

The stages devs work with now a days is laughable,first they try to rip people off,then move to a different monetary system,then f2p,then renamed titles,nothing ever ends up as a GOOD quality game,just new gimmicks.
    Wildstar did the same thing,SOE tried new servers,NONE of that junk works,it is still the same crappy game.Even FFXIVARR did NOTHING important in it's changes to entice me,i still quit and have not had the interest to go back.When you design a game it is pretty much set in stone,you can add new bait and hook gimmicks but it does nothing for me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    If your game is really really good it doesn't have to be free. Period. So where does that leave this.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Elsabolts said:
    Torval said:
    Elsabolts said:

But my PC cost about $8k yet my console only $400. I say their coverage should be 20:1. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung