Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a Noob / Will I like this game / 2 quick questions

divbyzerodivbyzero Member UncommonPosts: 2
Hi everyone,

I've read a lot about Corwfall and watched quite a few videos, too.
I do love that crafting and fighting are both important in this game.

-) However, it seems to me, that I can chose to be either a crafter OR a fighter, which is something I don't like. Much more I'd like to be crafter for, let's say, 3 days (because I'm tired and don't want to havy any action) and the be a fighter for 2 days (because I'm in the mood for it). Can I do this in CF? Do I have to wait untli the next campaign starts?

-) Quick question: Can I respec my skilltrees?

Thanks for helping me out and have fun gaming

divbyzero

jor88888

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    @divbyzero Frankly, it seems to me that this is not the game for you. Respecs will be very limited (if possible at all on the level of skill trees?) and speaking of crafter/fighter, you'll have to make choices and stick to these.

Crafters will have fighting abilities, and fighters will be able to gather/craft to some extent, but there won't be anything even remotely close to, say, WoW quick respecs from this to that deep build.
    Satanikz
     W...aaagh?
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited February 2017
    What you can do is to sub and train 2 characters simultaneously and instead of respec just relog.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    What you can do is to sub and train 2 characters simultaneously and instead of respec just relog.
    Have they said that this is a benefit of a subscription?   I had not read that...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• divbyzerodivbyzero Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Thanks for your answers. I'll probably try it out, anyway. This game somehow just "feels right".
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Have they said that this is a benefit of a subscription?   I had not read that...

Prior to the announcement of the Crows and Vessels system, players with VIP subscription could train up to 3 characters at a time. Without the sub, you could only train 1 at a time. The sub gave more options but not more power, as you couldn't train multiple skills in a single archetype at the same time.

With the Crows and Vessels system, the VIP is still the same, but you don't have 3 different characters any more. Each account is 1 character and all skill training is at the account level. Training is still restricted to 1 skill per archetype. However, with the vessel system, players can switch between archetypes by switching bodies, rather than having to roll a new character.

@OP, there are no respecs. All training is permanent, but there is no limit on what you can train. You can train everything, like it EvE Online, but you will likely never have everything because it will take many years to train every skill currently in the game and they will no doubt add more skills in the future.

All archetypes come with a base kit of abilities. If you want to focus on crafting or harvesting, you will still be capable of fighting. The only thing you will miss out on are the universal combat skills. You will still be able to train your archetype skills. 

If you want to focus only on combat, you won't be able to craft or harvest well, but you can get a minimum proficiency pretty quickly. This is meant to be a team game, so you'll need to depend on other people to craft/harvest the stuff you aren't trained for.

A lot of people will use multiple accounts with each account focusing on something different. So if you really want to be all in on crafting on one account and all in on combat on another account, you can do that.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Haven't been keeping up.  Backed and waiting to play, bit I keep these things out my mind until it gets closer... Is there an estimated release?

I self identify as a monkey.

End of the year? I don't think anyone really knows for sure. The game has progressed quite a bit lately, but there's still a ways to go. I think we'll have a clearer picture in the next few months.
  • FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited May 2017
    I have been in testing for over a year.   No there are no respecs of your passive skills...  they tick up over real time whether you are playing or not and you can switch to any other skill tree at any time.   This means a casual player that is active for 5-10 hours a week gains the same amount of skill advancement as a hard core player on for 50-80 hours a week. 

These skills, however, constitute only a third of your acquired power.  The other 2/3 are gear based and all gear is crafted.  All combat power is supposed to be a shallow gain...   not much for a very long time and more on the front end.   There is no subscription required, buy once and play, you get one universal skill to choose from the combat tree, crafting tree, or exploration tree AND you get one class specific train to choose.  This class specific train gives you more combat power gain than the universal combat tree so you can skill up crafting and be decent at fighting. 

The battles are means to be large group and not duels or small scale so there is no balancing for 1 v 1.   With a VIP subscription on top of the purchase you can train up two other class types on a single account.   This gives you the ability to switch between specs for group composition and your various playstyles but your universal choice drives unlocks of either more combat power OR the ability to get more from gathering OR the unlocking of crafting recipies and success in making better gear.   In Crowfall, each account has to pick a path, do that one thing well and count on other players and social networks to fill needs.  Thus, it will be essential to be part of a large guild or alliance of guilds that cover all of the various skills.

Don't even go into this thinking you can be a solo player, it won't work for that.
    There is no quests, no levels, and no bosses... the very few Mobiles are mostly beasts for the leather skinners and monsters that have specialty materials drops used in crafting.  The entire game is played in open world PvP with guilds vying for resources that give the edge.  Each server will have a set length of time until it dies...   your vessels (character race/class skin ships) can go into and out of these campaigns at the start and end if they survive. 

This game is about PvP...  log in and go find a fight

pantaroMikeha
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited May 2017
    I seemed to have gotten the wrong impression too. I thought you could be a crafter and avoid the PvP. I guess that is not possible after reading what Frykka wrote. Was hoping to minimize the PvP I would have to do.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    I seemed to have gotten the wrong impression too. I thought you could be a crafter and avoid the PvP. I guess that is not possible after reading what Frykka wrote. Was hoping to minimize the PvP I would have to do.
    You can do this, but you won't be able to avoid PvP altogether unless you stay only in the EKs (the ones with PvP turned off). If you do that, you will only have access to the most basic resources unless you can trade with other people for premium resources. Premium resources won't even be available in the EKs until the first campaigns end, which will be at least a couple weeks or maybe even a month after the game launches.

Another option is to join a campaign with the 3 faction ruleset. In this type of campaign, you will spawn in your faction's area and be relatively protected because you are surrounded by others of your faction. It will be up to each faction to build up their defenses though and you will still get attacks from other factions.

The best option is to be part of a guild. You can still play in the 3 faction band for added protection, but having a guild to protect you will help even more. You will be a valuable part of the guild as a crafter, so they won't mind keep you safe. Still though, even if you spec fully into crafting, that won't gimp you as a fighter. The only thing you will miss out on is the universal combat skills, which represents only a small portion of player power. So if you wanted to be a full time, dedicated crafter who can still contribute in a fight when necessary, you can do that.
    Octagon7711