Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deleted

PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
edited May 2017 in Ashes of Creation

Post edited by Prescience on
RealizerGdemamiJediren

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    This topic already exists:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464328/unreal-engine-is-a-massive-concern-for-me-and-i-think-many-are-overlooking-it

Please do not create multiple threads about same topic.
    k61977[Deleted User]KellerGdemami

• PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Vrika said:
    This topic already exists:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464328/unreal-engine-is-a-massive-concern-for-me-and-i-think-many-are-overlooking-it

Please do not create multiple threads about same topic.
    The topics are different. Please reread both topics to understand.
    KellerGdemami
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I keep seeing people state that the developers have pointed out that they will be using their own "net code" or "back end" to ease concerns of the Unreal 4 Engines use. I can tell you that this is not a valid argument or resolution, let me explain.

Are you a developer? If so then this is a bar you can belly up to. If you are not a developer then I can't see you convincing anyone.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    I keep seeing people state that the developers have pointed out that they will be using their own "net code" or "back end" to ease concerns of the Unreal 4 Engines use. I can tell you that this is not a valid argument or resolution, let me explain.

Are you a developer? If so then this is a bar you can belly up to. If you are not a developer then I can't see you convincing anyone.
    If I don't convince anyone that is fine. I have given the necessary information to describe why stating you have your own back-end while using the Unreal engine for an MMO is a requirement and not some new revelation. 

Gdemami
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited May 2017
    so I guess the only question then is, how competent the developers are in adapting that back-end to their needs.

But competence always is the defining factor in any game being developed.
    Tsiya
    Galadourn said:
    so I guess the only question then is, how competent the developers are in adapting that back-end to their needs.

But competence always is the defining factor in any game being developed.
    Even if they can't get the back-end to work as required it's not fair to call them 'incompetent'. That task is incredibly hard. 

Within the industry the methods used to do it are not generally revealed as it would be anti competitive. That's why you'll see the consumer complaining so much when a game launches "haven't we been through this before, "  " why is this still happening in the year 20xx ", it's because it's a closely guarded secret.

Someone could be a well-versed and highly educated developer but they still may not be able to fix these types of issues. It plagues the industry. 

Gdemami
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The question is do they care about that, or do they care about putting some shiny graphics (or feature) in front of potential cult members to dupe them into the initial buy in?

It happens too often for me to believe net code and the "Massively" in MMORPG are a primary concern.

I remember when TERA was in beta/open beta they did a server stress test which basically was a precursor for the Nexus events. Everyone was asked to gather outside. of. the. castle... walls. The game ran like absolute gutter trash regardless of your graphics card/CPU. Hundreds and hundreds of players voiced their concerns and of course "it's beta". Fast forward, and I wouldn't be surprised if those Nexus events still cause their boxes to spit up blood.

My new way of approach is to not trust any MMORPG that has demos/trailers that don't have 25-50 characters on screen at once and can at least run decent for the presenter. I laugh at all developers who allow frame rate drops and lag to happen in their own demos/trailers because I know launch isn't a far cry from dev versions in those cases.

It's even more fun watching developers "re-envision" their titles to "shared experience RPGs" from MMORPGs and the cockamamie talk points they use to justify the change instead of being forthright.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sovrath said:

If I don't convince anyone that is fine. I have given the necessary information to describe why stating you have your own back-end while using the Unreal engine for an MMO is a requirement and not some new revelation. 

Ok still begs the question what experience are you speaking from? Als as I mentioned in the other thread lineage 2 used unreal and they were able to achieve some rather large battles.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Ok still begs the question what experience are you speaking from? Als as I mentioned in the other thread lineage 2 used unreal and they were able to achieve some rather large battles.

I'm not sure if you ever played Lineage II before but it's still plagued with unacceptable performance issues to this day. Once a good amount of people are on screen it's all downhill from there. 

If 10 - 12 FPS is something you find acceptable then I'm sure AoC will work for you. At this point, I am more worried the servers will just crash during combat due to the nature of the Unreal engine. It'll be ArcheAge all over again.

Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Its a fantasy MMO, they'll solve the problem with "elven magic."

Nothing to worry about I'm sure. ;)
    ConstantineMerusCopperfield

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    You know nothing about a game engine if you are making this kind of statement. "Net code" is a very improper term. Does UE4 non-source come with a networking engine? Yes it does, it's the same one intended for first person shooter lobbies. This networking engine doesn't need to be used, and if you have a source package you can build what ever you want to accomplish.

Blanket statements when you know nothing about a subject will get you no where. 
    edited May 2017
    You know nothing about a game engine if you are making this kind of statement. "Net code" is a very improper term. Does UE4 non-source come with a networking engine? Yes it does, it's the same one intended for first person shooter lobbies. This networking engine doesn't need to be used, and if you have a source package you can build what ever you want to accomplish.

Blanket statements when you know nothing about a subject will get you no where. 
    I'm not sure you read my post and net code is a proper term. I don't think you realize I am stating every Unreal MMO has its own back-end, which is not the same as the one that Unreal utilizes. I am pointing out the development team has stated they are using their own net code and back-end to ease concerns and that regardless of that statement they have to make their own for this whole thing to work. Basically, people are getting caught up in wordplay that isn't even a viable argument.

I think it's you that doesn't know a thing about a game engine. I'm certain you're only trying to bait me into telling you what I know or don't know. The way Unreal works is that it has built in net code in the engine as it sits. You have to scan through the code and find the sections that check for "net role". You then need to delete that code and rewrite it to communicate with your proprietary back-end. How that code is read depends on a lot of different variables. The main issue, as I have stated, is the engine in and of its self is developed to operate like an FPS. That means the way the engine checks for information is very arduous and taxing for large scale. That is why you really see a departure from Unreal Engine use in MMOs being developed like StarCitizen, Camelot Unchained, Pantheon, Crowfall.

Either way, should you genuinely be stating "net code" is improper let me give you some examples of the term net code used by developers especially in the Unreal wiki and forums:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/431984/netcode-unit-test-plugin.html

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Network_Replication,_Using_ReplicatedUsing_/_RepNotify_vars

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?128589-Suggestions-for-a-refactor-of-Character-Movement-s-Netcode-for-better-diversity

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?137118-Has-anyone-attempted-to-replace-the-UE-net-code-with-a-third-party-network-API

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?136814-Looking-for-C-net-coder
    Gdemami
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited May 2017
    Steven talked a little bit about this issue in Discord today:

Probably won't satisfy all of you but it shows they are completely aware of it and seemed to have looked into it. They also seem to have some communication support with the UE4 guys. 

Seems they also have an article coming out soon more about this.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Ponzini said:

Probably won't satisfy all of you but it shows they are completely aware of it and seemed to have looked into it. They also seem to have some communication support with the UE4 guys. 

i'm gonna remember his words when i'm playing Camelot unchained lol this dude should really let his team do the talking.....
    [Deleted User]
    pantaro said:
    Ponzini said:

i'm gonna remember his words when i'm playing Camelot unchained lol this dude should really let his team do the talking.....
    What do you mean? What would his team have said different? 
    [Deleted User]
    Ponzini said:
    pantaro said:
    Ponzini said:

What do you mean? What would his team have said different? 

He's obviously referring to the fact that Steven is making claims while having limited-to-no experience in the field. Stating that "Making your own engine is a waste of time" is a complete contradiction to Mark Jacobs philosophy - who is a legend in his own right.

Mark Jacobs is making an engine for Camelot Unchained just like he did for Dark Age of Camelot in 2001. When Steven makes amateur remarks about that being a waste of time he's only insulting legends of the industry like Mark.

You don't come into that industry like a know-it-all when people have spent hundreds of man hours learning and programming game engines. 

Pantaro is pointing out that his team would make him seem less foolish because then there would at least be some experience in the answers. 
    Gdemami
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    What is it you want? Praise for your genius? Networking is intrinsic to an MMO, if you cant bake that cake you're in the wrong kitchen.
    rounner said:
    What is it you want? Praise for your genius? Networking is intrinsic to an MMO, if you cant bake that cake you're in the wrong kitchen.
    I don't want praise for anything.
    Gdemami
    From today's livestream:

They talked a bit more about this when someone asked the question during Q&A
    [Deleted User]