Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC hits 150,000 in 3 minutes

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    When KS first started the bar was around $2M and if the goal was met it was a big deal 

Setting the bar so intentionally low makes reaching the goal practically meaningless.

But what the heck, 25 or so days to bring in more pledges, maybe they'll blow past $2M with ease.

That really would be worth mention.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Their stated stretch goals are pretty run of the mill right now though - the pledge packages could use a little more too.  I'll be surprised if they don't get 30k backers and break 2.5 by the end of the kickstarter though, the game does look pretty sweet.  Maybe some cool stretch goals will bring in the basic pledge backer crowd (and those whales might even buy some alts).
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Xodic said:

That was awesome
    MrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited May 2017
    Pfffffttt... I knew a game that made 50m in Kickstarter funds.. 3 years later we still haven't seen the actual GAME.  Just a prolong alpha...

Pathfinder Online raised over 1m on Kickstarter, how'd that MMO do?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Ikeda said:

Pfffffttt... I knew a game that made 50m in Kickstarter funds.. 3 years later we still haven't seen the actual GAME.  Just a prolong alpha...

Pathfinder Online raised over 1m on Kickstarter, how'd that MMO do?

I actually gave money to them in their kickstarter..  the whole thing was terribly mismanaged..  that was when I decided against funding anymore kickstarters.. because when I stopped and looked around.. every single kickstarter campaign for every other MMO was i the SAME boat.  They were ALL that way.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I actually gave money to them in their kickstarter..  the whole thing was terribly mismanaged..  that was when I decided against funding anymore kickstarters.. because when I stopped and looked around.. every single kickstarter campaign for every other MMO was i the SAME boat.  They were ALL that way.

The only item in the last 3-4 years I kickstarted and ACTUALLY made it to production was a game I cancelled on (Conan the Boardgame).   The mini's were nice but in the end it was too greedy and not enough people to play with.  NONE of the games I've backed have come out.  I did pony in for Bard's Tale but even that's not out.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Ikeda said:

The only item in the last 3-4 years I kickstarted and ACTUALLY made it to production was a game I cancelled on (Conan the Boardgame).   The mini's were nice but in the end it was too greedy and not enough people to play with.  NONE of the games I've backed have come out.  I did pony in for Bard's Tale but even that's not out.

Divinity Original Sin was a game that did well from kickstarter but I didn't back it. Divinity:OS2 also did a kickstarter but I ended up buying it when they put it on steam.   Thats more of an exception,  most games never make it that far.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Well thats enough money to buy 3 of the devs a new car......
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Kyleran said:

When KS first started the bar was around $2M and if the goal was met it was a big deal 

Setting the bar so intentionally low makes reaching the goal practically meaningless.

But what the heck, 25 or so days to bring in more pledges, maybe they'll blow past $2M with ease.

That really would be worth mention.

they are already at 1.2 million
    Kyleran

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    It is growing fast, looks like they will meet their stretch goals quickly.
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I never in my life support kickstarter, or any fund raising . I always wait for a product to finish before mabe spending moneys for it, i follow this rule for many years, its always turn out better for me. and not get screw over my moneys.
    MrMelGibson

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Why do I get the felling this is yet another mmo that promises this and that but ends up just feeling like wow all over again.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

tixylix said:

You cannot make a good MMO these days for that money.

It's privately backed, the CEo or whatever put in like 7 million of his own money apparently. The purpose of this Kickstarter is to kickstart their referral program.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

genaknosc said:

tixylix said:

It's privately backed, the CEo or whatever put in like 7 million of his own money apparently. The purpose of this Kickstarter is to kickstart their referral program.

Source for both of those statements please?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

genaknosc said:

tixylix said:

Source for both of those statements please?

I do know the game has been in development, so he must have put in something.
    Their stated stretch goals are pretty run of the mill right now though - the pledge packages could use a little more too.  I'll be surprised if they don't get 30k backers and break 2.5 by the end of the kickstarter though, the game does look pretty sweet.  Maybe some cool stretch goals will bring in the basic pledge backer crowd (and those whales might even buy some alts).
    Looks like your prediction has a solid chance of coming to pass at this point.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

WOW.....it hit 3 million and so far the gameplay videos keep coming out so who knows could be a good one.
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    I hope these guy are better at managing money and make a good game. Some how with over 11 million Portalarium wasn't able to manage Shroud of the Avatar and now only have enough money to keep going for around 2 months.  Course the Port people seem to have started their kickstarter because they were 2 months from closing their compny lol..... Funny how that worked out 2 months funds from having to close their does seems to be a theme with them.
    blorpykins
    Rawyn said:
    I hope these guy are better at managing money and make a good game. Some how with over 11 million Portalarium wasn't able to manage Shroud of the Avatar and now only have enough money to keep going for around 2 months.  Course the Port people seem to have started their kickstarter because they were 2 months from closing their compny lol..... Funny how that worked out 2 months funds from having to close their does seems to be a theme with them.

So far it seems like they are making headway, but who knows, I just hope it does not end up like Star Citizen 150 million and all that is done is a little arena game and one system after all these years.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    More than likely in 5 years time, we'll still be talking about Ashes and whether or not it is going to release. :p
    Kyleran
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited June 2017
    Given the fact that what AoC is trying to do with the node system is not technically extreme, just a clever re-structuring of the typical "curated" MMO content that is being put behind "progression walls", I have high hopes that it will release relatively close to the envisioned schedule and features-complete.
    blorpykins
  • DrizztDuordenDrizztDuorden Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I am a Founder's Kickstarter pledge and I can't wait for this game!!! I do wish they were more open to voice acting, I play ESO regularly and I am super impressed by the quality of the voice acting and the depth it adds to the game. 
  • XombieCrisisXombieCrisis Member CommonPosts: 1
    I know this is old but I am over the moon hyped for this title!
    Then it will never be able to meet your unrealistic expectations.

But the "good" news is you'll have at least 2 to 3 years to temper your unbridled enthusiasm.

B)
    MrMelGibson

edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Then it will never be able to meet your unrealistic expectations.

But the "good" news is you'll have at least 2 to 3 years to temper your unbridled enthusiasm.

B)

The videos for [mod edit] look like they are making good headway, but yea, you wonder how long it will take. I am getting to the age that I my not be alive to see some of these games get finished. :)
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Kyleran