Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Farpoint VR

psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
So was playing farpoint for a few hours this morning really good game best VR title so far but 2 hours in, I started feeling a massive headache behind my right eye so took off the gear to take a break soon as I did my stomach dropped out from under me and I spent the next 2 hours puking my guts out.  I don't know that the side effects really make these games worth playing.
maskedweasel

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2017
    psiic said:
    So was playing farpoint for a few hours this morning really good game best VR title so far but 2 hours in, I started feeling a massive headache behind my right eye so took off the gear to take a break soon as I did my stomach dropped out from under me and I spent the next 2 hours puking my guts out.  I don't know that the side effects really make these games worth playing.
    for the record I dont believe you.

yes I know motion sickness in VR is something a small % of people suffer from but 'puking' yp...dont believe you.

who buys VR games knowing they are unusually hypersensitive to motion sickness anyway?
    LoveRemovalMachineMikeha

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    psiic said:
    While not as...untrusting as Sean, if you are truly (I am skeptical just being honest) having this type of reaction, you need to go see a Doc. I have spent quite a few hours in VR now and I have never had a headache (other than what I always get from being wounded, but I expect those now) nor any type of motion sickness. I have never been inclined to motion sickness either so that may be a factor, but I would definitely go get a check up if I was you.

Be safe man.

PhaserlightMikeha[Deleted User]

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    psiic said:
    While not as...untrusting as Sean, if you are truly (I am skeptical just being honest) having this type of reaction, you need to go see a Doc. I have spent quite a few hours in VR now and I have never had a headache (other than what I always get from being wounded, but I expect those now) nor any type of motion sickness. I have never been inclined to motion sickness either so that may be a factor, but I would definitely go get a check up if I was you.

Be safe man.

a little more information on why I take this position. He has more than once said he has gotten sick in VR. So who would continue to buy VR games knowing full well they are hyper sensitive to the point of throwing up?
    SovrathHatefull

SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    psiic said:

Be safe man.

a little more information on why I take this position. He has more than once said he has gotten sick in VR. So who would continue to buy VR games knowing full well they are hyper sensitive to the point of throwing up?
    Ok, based on our history, I am in no way attacking you nor your points. I get where you are coming from and tend to agree, if you know it messes with you then why keep doing it?

Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    psiic said:

Be safe man.

Ok, based on our history, I am in no way attacking you nor your points. I get where you are coming from and tend to agree, if you know it messes with you then why keep doing it?

yeah and to be clear I didnt think you were just adding more context.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    This happens and in no way is fake by any means.  In fact this is exactly what happened to the Guinness World Record holder for most time in VR.  Look it up.  Immediately after taking it off he was throwing up for a while.

I've never gotten sick to that degree after VR, but I've often gotten headaches that made me want to take it off.  That, and because its too cumbersome to setup again are the reasons I don't bother with it for home use and only put it together when I show off our 360 content. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    OP may have vertigo. A lot of time people who have or may be prone to vertigo don't know they have it until it happens as it usually requires certain scenarios vs motion sickness which is less severe and more common (and you can experience it in a moving vehicle).

Go to a doctor and have your ears checked. 

HatefullPhaserlight
    This happens and in no way is fake by any means.  In fact this is exactly what happened to the Guinness World Record holder for most time in VR.  Look it up.  Immediately after taking it off he was throwing up for a while.

I've never gotten sick to that degree after VR, but I've often gotten headaches that made me want to take it off.  That, and because its too cumbersome to setup again are the reasons I don't bother with it for home use and only put it together when I show off our 360 content. 
    again.

why would someone who has posted in the past that they have gotten sick with VR multiple times for multiple games continue to buy VR games when they know they are hyper sensitive?

Hatefull

SEANMCAD said:

again.

why would someone who has posted in the past that they have gotten sick with VR multiple times for multiple games continue to buy VR games when they know they are hyper sensitive?

That isn't the point.  

But lets pretend for a second that you spent 400+ dollars on a VR system, but every so often it makes you sick.  Are you going to toss that 400+ out the window or are you going to keep trying so you don't waste your investment?  

Maybe this game was the tipping point and he won't want to play anymore after a bad trip like that,  but even after getting the worst headache of my life after a gaming sessions in VR I still tried it again.  
    PhaserlightBeezerbeez

SEANMCAD said:

again.

That isn't the point.  

But lets pretend for a second that you spent 400+ dollars on a VR system, but every so often it makes you sick.  Are you going to toss that 400+ out the window or are you going to keep trying so you don't waste your investment?  

Maybe this game was the tipping point and he won't want to play anymore after a bad trip like that,  but even after getting the worst headache of my life after a gaming sessions in VR I still tried it again.  
    The reason I put his creditablity into question is because its not normal for a person who has gotten sick multiple times from multiple games to continue to buy games that he knows will make him sick. It is the cornerstone of my point.

do you really want to talk about this all day?
    Sovrath

SEANMCAD said:

again.

That isn't the point.  

A bad investment is a bad investment. Sell the system, try to recoup some of your cash and move on with life. I wanted to be a scuba diver, but I can't, we don't always get what we want. If being on VR makes you violently sick, well then I am sorry it is just not for you. Or Psiic in this case.

Continuing to pour money into a bad idea is just asinine. "This sucks, but I am going to keep doing it and throwing money at it just so I have somethign to bitch about on MMORPG.com" How exactly does that make sense?

If you really need a topic to discuss just make a post about whatever game is on KS right now and say you support or hate it and that will get you all the attention you ever wanted. OR how SWG II is just around the corner.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    SEANMCAD said:

again.

That isn't the point.  

Uh "yeah" I'll get rid of that system. Either sell it, donate it, etc.

Why would I subject myself to something that causes me discomfort?
    HatefullBeezerbeez[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    So there is a thing called simulator sickness:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

It it was a big problem when the Navy started using full-up simulators for F-14 training. I've hear stories of sickness so violent as to match what the OP describes.

What they discovered was that insufficient frame rate was a huge contributor to the problem. Back then, we are talking bad projectors with horrible refresh and such. Should not be as big of an issue today.

with that said, is the OP running Vr on an inadequate system, resulting in very low FPS?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

again.

That isn't the point.  

I mean, this could be perhaps the first time it has happened to this severity, who knows?  Personally I stopped using mine for most things because of headaches.

But... hell,  there was a "scientific" study done where people were hooked up to a machine that shocked them if they hit a button and they were tasked with just sitting there. The study concluded with many people continuously shocking themselves out of boredom, so...  I consider this nominally better than that. 

spankybus said:
    So there is a thing called simulator sickness:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

It it was a big problem when the Navy started using full-up simulators for F-14 training. I've hear stories of sickness so violent as to match what the OP describes.

What they discovered was that insufficient frame rate was a huge contributor to the problem. Back then, we are talking bad projectors with horrible refresh and such. Should not be as big of an issue today.

with that said, is the OP running Vr on an inadequate system, resulting in very low FPS?
    nobody is disputing that it doesn't exist. that is missing the point by about 100 miles
    Hatefull

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
     Remember, @psiic is the guy who claimed to have run into another player in No Man's Sky, thereby proving it to be multiplayer.  Just saying.

I haven't experienced any "side effects" so far; I've had my unit since last August. 

It does state in the manual in strong terms to take breaks every 20 minutes.  That was plenty long enough for a dive for me in the beginning. Now I can go a couple hours, no problem. I had to work up to it. 

To the OP: take it easy. 
    HatefullHawkaya399[Deleted User]madazz

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2017
    Sometimes I wonder if full VR will overtax the body. The sitting body just isn't ready for overstimulation. In RL, we're typically moving around when we're bieng stimulated. This has numerous benefits. Even if somehow the body does adapt, it might screw something else up. I remember reading the part of the brain dealing with nervous system becomes hyper when we sit a lot, or something. Like the part of the brain manages the heart rate or breathing? It can lead to trouble. I wonder if this will be a larger problem in the future when VR is even more capable of tricking us into thinking it's real.

Nvm what I wrote there. Has almost nothing to do with the vomiting thing. What I WILL say is relevant is I watched a video not too long ago and it was about how woman seem to have more probelms with their response to things like the Oculus Rift. I don't remember ifit was vomiting, but she was implying the Oculus is sexist.

Maybe htis is related, I don't know. Just googled it now:
    https://qz.com/192874/is-the-oculus-rift-designed-to-be-sexist/
    That’s when a friend of mine stumbled over a footnote in an esoteric army report about simulator sickness in virtual environments. Sure enough, military researchers had noticed that women seemed to get sick at higher rates in simulators than men. While they seemed to be able to eventually adjust to the simulator, they would then get sick again when switching back into reality.
    Another:
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/12/new-research-suggests-head-mounted-vr-sets-are-unintentionally-sexist/ 
    A new research study conducted by University of Minnesota researchers Justin Munafo, Meg Diedrick, and Thomas A. Stoffregen says that head-mounted virtual reality is unintentionally sexist toward female users. At least, the paper, titled “The virtual reality head-mounted display Oculus Rift induces motion sickness and is sexist in its effects,” says “unintentionally”; the title and abstract alone don’t quite make that clear. Having procured a copy of the actual paper (unfortunately paywalled), we decided to explore the researchers’ assertion and break it down to understand just what’s at play here because my gut reaction was to be suspicious, likely the same as you.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I too never feel VR sickness, my brother gets it bad but only with certain games.

BUT lets be real here, the big hole in the story is 2 hours in, like he wasn't far in or something. 2 hours into a game in vr you pretty much are into your second play through :smiley:
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Send your script to Black Mirror, maybe they'll do something for ya. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited May 2017
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

again.

That isn't the point.  

I mean, this could be perhaps the first time it has happened to this severity, who knows?  Personally I stopped using mine for most things because of headaches.

But... hell,  there was a "scientific" study done where people were hooked up to a machine that shocked them if they hit a button and they were tasked with just sitting there. The study concluded with many people continuously shocking themselves out of boredom, so...  I consider this nominally better than that. 
    1. can you provide links to that study and conclusion
     2. You continue to shed light to others to look into the OPs post history and for that I thank you.

I think given most people have multiple things they can do with their time and that they are not in an inescapable prision in which the only thing possible to do is to play VR. So with that the question still remains. If you get sick playing VR, have done so multiple times, why would you keep playing? again, thanks for keeping this point alive it sheds light for others to look more into closely

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I too never feel VR sickness, my brother gets it bad but only with certain games.

BUT lets be real here, the big hole in the story is 2 hours in, like he wasn't far in or something. 2 hours into a game in vr you pretty much are into your second play through :smiley:
    True for some, perhaps even a majority, but not for all.  Vendetta Online and Minecraft have thousands of hours of playability between them.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    You should have checked first before buying this system and games. I mean I am even afraid of trying since I suffer from first person view headaches I cannot even watch other people playing in FP view. If you have any history of nausea or motion sickness never ever try this.

Sometimes I wonder if full VR will overtax the body. The sitting body just isn't ready for overstimulation. In RL, we're typically moving around when we're bieng stimulated. This has numerous benefits. Even if somehow the body does adapt, it might screw something else up. I remember reading the part of the brain dealing with nervous system becomes hyper when we sit a lot, or something. Like the part of the brain manages the heart rate or breathing? It can lead to trouble. I wonder if this will be a larger problem in the future when VR is even more capable of tricking us into thinking it's real.

Nvm what I wrote there. Has almost nothing to do with the vomiting thing. What I WILL say is relevant is I watched a video not too long ago and it was about how woman seem to have more probelms with their response to things like the Oculus Rift. I don't remember ifit was vomiting, but she was implying the Oculus is sexist.

Maybe htis is related, I don't know. Just googled it now:
    https://qz.com/192874/is-the-oculus-rift-designed-to-be-sexist/
    That’s when a friend of mine stumbled over a footnote in an esoteric army report about simulator sickness in virtual environments. Sure enough, military researchers had noticed that women seemed to get sick at higher rates in simulators than men. While they seemed to be able to eventually adjust to the simulator, they would then get sick again when switching back into reality.
    Another:
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/12/new-research-suggests-head-mounted-vr-sets-are-unintentionally-sexist/ 
    A new research study conducted by University of Minnesota researchers Justin Munafo, Meg Diedrick, and Thomas A. Stoffregen says that head-mounted virtual reality is unintentionally sexist toward female users. At least, the paper, titled “The virtual reality head-mounted display Oculus Rift induces motion sickness and is sexist in its effects,” says “unintentionally”; the title and abstract alone don’t quite make that clear. Having procured a copy of the actual paper (unfortunately paywalled), we decided to explore the researchers’ assertion and break it down to understand just what’s at play here because my gut reaction was to be suspicious, likely the same as you.

VR has been in use by the military for quite a few years now, of course, it started out pretty rudimentary, but nowadays it is far ahead of what we are seeing on the civilian side. My point here is the Simulator Sickness is known and should become more so as we tread down the path the military did...10 or 15 years ago. My timeline is in no way exact, but in this instance, the military is far ahead of the civilian world.

You may be on to something with your statement about movement, I know the (U.S.) military has movement based VR in some places, and one would have to believe that adding in more senses (touch, smell, etc) would possibly alleviate the worst of the sickness ie like we tell sea sick sailors/Marines to go above decks and look at the horizon, fresh air, that seems to help in some cases. Of course, I have also seen sailors/Marines that stayed sick until we went ashore.

It would be interesting to see a study on this and how the effects of adding (allowing) the use of more senses help or do not help with certain cases of VR.

Did I just present an idea for someones senior thesis?

SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

again.

That isn't the point.  

1. can you provide links to that study and conclusion
     2. You continue to shed light to others to look into the OPs post history and for that I thank you.

I think given most people have multiple things they can do with their time and that they are not in an inescapable prision in which the only thing possible to do is to play VR. So with that the question still remains. If you get sick playing VR, have done so multiple times, why would you keep playing? again, thanks for keeping this point alive it sheds light for others to look more into closely
    A really interesting study actually here read this or this and this one.

On a side note, we all know how people bitch and cry about waterboarding (I have been boarded, it sucks but doable) however, complete sensory deprivation is much more damaging (in long term) to people's psyche. Like permanent damage.

Sensory deprivation read this or this Interesting stuff.  However, I realize completely irrelevant to this discussion. Sorry. 
    maskedweasel

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Don't know about lying or not, but if it does that to you, VR may not be for you at this time.  Wait a few generations to see if it gets better.  However, it isn't really an indictment of VR.  Some people get seizures from tweets, video games, tv.... etc.  The fact is, some people will be sensitive to any form of stimulation.
    maskedweaselPhaserlight

I self identify as a monkey.