Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOT Is One Of Better F2P

BribarianIIBribarianII Member CommonPosts: 12

I've played a lot of online games, and for the most part I avoid f2p games for various reasons, mostly pay to win features.

I play League of legends and I've played World Of Tanks for years.  

Here's my profile (nothing special but lot of play) : http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1002311019-Bribarian/

I do think WOT is one of the best free to play though.   I'll just do some pros and cons.

Pros:

- Gameplay is very good overall.  Better teams/players = victories 90% of the time.  Most importantly though, it's fun.

- Quick And Easy Battles.  Battles won't typically go on longer than 20 mins making it accessible for on-the-go people.

- Community is good too, better than most Online games I've played.  As with the internet though you're going to run into douchebags, no avoiding it.  But overall good.

- Large variety of tanks and nations to play as....

- If you're a WW2 history fanatic (like me) you'll get a real kick out of the battles and atmosphere of the game.

- Form platoons with friends clan and enter battles.

- I personally like the music a lot in this game

Cons:

- The Grind is really bad if you're F2Play.  Much smoother as Premium.  If you're looking to get the Tier 8 + tanks you're going to have a hard time without putting some money in...You can still enjoy the game at the mid tiers though.

- Gold Rounds.  Players can purchase gold which does give an in-game advantage.  One of the worst aspects of the game.

- Graphics are pretty meh.  They kept the graphics to keep the game running smoothly for everyone, but I still think it could use a bump. 

- Tank customization could use a little work

- I somewhat wish spawns were better, rather than a clusterfook of people running into eachother

- I feel like the Russian Makers favor the Russian Tanks image

Anyways, overall 8/10 F2Play game and I highly recommend trying it.

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

The game concept was quite a lot of fun to me. It can be a fun game.

It has one huge flaw though. There is a huge difference in tank strength across the different tiers. You are often not matched with tanks of a similar tier.

What this means is especially if you play with friends, you will frequently be a Tier 4 tank against a Tier 6-7. The difference is so huge, that it takes some sort of a mirracle play to be valuable in that scenario. I played for a few weeks but in the end left disgusted, because it seemed my skill is not rewarded, the matchmaking decided the outcome of most games for me.

• BribarianIIBribarianII Member CommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by laxie

The game concept was quite a lot of fun to me. It can be a fun game.

It has one huge flaw though. There is a huge difference in tank strength across the different tiers. You are often not matched with tanks of a similar tier.

What this means is especially if you play with friends, you will frequently be a Tier 4 tank against a Tier 6-7. The difference is so huge, that it takes some sort of a mirracle play to be valuable in that scenario. I played for a few weeks but in the end left disgusted, because it seemed my skill is not rewarded, the matchmaking decided the outcome of most games for me.

That's a valid point, although the more I played it the more I found ways to be useful even at low tier.  But if you're stuck with a terrible gun against two tiers above you, and you're not a scout, it's not fun I agree.

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

it's pretty bad as a free to play, though it's quite good with a premium account.

my main gripe with the game and what made me quit are xvm, artillery and the god awful matchmaking.

xvm for the unfair advantage it gives to bad players (and especially bad players using artillery), allowing them to know exactly who to prioritize in fight.

and artillery because they are closer to a death ray sattelite than an actual artillery piece, encouraging camping and terrible gameplay.

as for you putting gold rounds as a con : everyone has access to 'gold' rounds for credits, it's been like that since 8.4 or 8.5 iirc. though once you know where to aim, they are not exactly needed. just carry 5 of them for hull down heavily armored target that you can't flank.

i thoroughly enjoyed the game for roughly 2 years until i couldn't and moved on.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292
    edited May 2017
    WoT has changed a great deal over the years.  If you do not want to spend money on the game play mid-tier only.  It is just as much fun as tier 10, just much less costly.  Recently WG has reportedly made it more costly at mid-tier though.

And, graphics have improved, if you download HD content, just make sure you have the hardware to run it smoothly.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card