Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Shuffles Development as Company Profits Tumble - Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance - MMORP

Comments

• Pipboy72Pipboy72 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Good luck NCSoft, you big ol' group of suckbait. I'd buy back into CoH and pay a monthly fee, you know, if you'd actually sell the thing to a company that cares. Or you could just sit on it and watch your profits tank.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821

Recore said:

I want Lineage 3 not a top down game diablo type game.

Its time for a sequel to Aion and Lineage 2.

That Lineage drop. Ouch

Why not both? A modern Aion and Lineage would be great, and we could use an ARPG that isn't 10 years behind the rest of the gaming market.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

GW2 is really having a hard time

Not many people play games just because they are fun. They need the carrot on the stick. GW2 doesn't really provide that.

Joined - July 2004

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2017

Aeander said:

Recore said:

That Lineage drop. Ouch

Why not both? A modern Aion and Lineage would be great, and we could use an ARPG that isn't 10 years behind the rest of the gaming market.

You know what I want to see?

An ARPG set in a 3D world instead of top down / isometric. I think I am just done with top down games period. Not even excited for Lost Ark anymore. The only one I can get some fun out of is Master X Master. 

I think Hellgate London was the only game that attempted this?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Aeander said:

Recore said:

That Lineage drop. Ouch

I wonder what those would look like?

I don't see them wanting to just slap a new coat of paint over the current Aion design and I don't think players want to continue with gather quests, run to glowy area on map, kill/collect x of y, run back rinse and repeat.

Would a Lineage 2 that hearkened back to the original design work for enough people? I wouldn't mind but go look at the Black Desert forum and see how many complaints people post about rng or how grindy the game is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Lost Ark is going to win the fight anyway ....
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Why does it take so long to develop MMOARPGs in Korea? Lost Ark and Lineage Eternal are taking forever and now this. I don't expect to play either in america for a loooooong time. And by then the engines will likely be dated
  • xelrahxelrah Member UncommonPosts: 40

Warlyx said:

Lost Ark is going to win the fight anyway ....

Was it ever confirmed that it is coming to EU/NA?
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited May 2017
    these games have been out quite a awhile -and NO EXPANSIONS. what did they think would happen?...GW2 thorns wasnt even a traditional expansion.

they droped wildstar. and focused on rehashing a game lineage a thrird time around.

at least Other sales(where wildstar stands) has been steady.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

That is too bad. Game wise, it is my favorite mmo and Lore wise it is my second favorite behind warcraft lore. I would not mind if ANET tweaks the game and port it to console. It has an action camera already and enough skills for the gamepad. That would surely help. I know i would jump to that boat.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Albatroes said:

This game was a bit of a let down for a lot of people tbh.

Which?
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    If I was playing Wildstar at this moment I would be concerned as once your game is bundled into the other category that must mean it is earning pittance.

As for GW2 decline im not surprised as for me the direction the game was going in went way downhill before the expansion hit. They lost touch with what players wanted and if your going to charge full AAA prices for an expansion you better make sure it is really really good. Unfortunately for me it missed the mark and with the dumbing down of systems before the expansion was released. Then with them constantly changing things that never really needed changing rather than concentrating on stuff that did need changing.

I looked at the game and decided that with the direction the game was going in and what I seen of the expansion it was no longer a game I wanted to play, so I left.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

azarhal said:

GW2 only revenue stream is HoT box sales (released in October 2015) and players buying gems with real money if you really need something in that cash shop...and buying gems for real money happens because you want to give Anet money or are an impatient person who don't want to take the time to farm to make gold to use the exchange.

Not too surprising that the sales are going down, they will go back up when the next expac gets announced.

This. I have around 5k gems, all bought with gold over time. Gw2 still had a large population and From what I read will have some new additions soon.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    The last NcSoft game I played for more than a month was Aion. LE doesn't really look all that interesting either for something that should be their flagship title. They have missed the mark on just about every game they have released in the west in recent years. Nothing really seems to stick or have any long term viability. 
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Looks like W* is now relegated to the "other" category...if the next GW2 expansion isn't amazing they might find themselves there, too.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Guess that shows that closing down CoH despite it making a profit, sure helped them a lot

Same with conning and scamming Richard Garriot (no matter your opinion, in court of law he won) and sabotaging his game

And refusing to advertise or to fund Auto Assault in anyway

I'm sure that has all helped them make big bucks...wait...

Guess not

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Guess that shows that closing down CoH despite it making a profit, sure helped them a lot

Actually it wouldn't have. The games on that list are "making a profit". They are just making less profit.

They even say:

net profit was 17.4 billion won, decreasing also by 73.7 percent year-on-year

The issue is not "profit" it's "not enough profit".

When these games move into making "not enough profit" they will be closed just like City of Heroes.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    I don't understand.  I thought GW2 was the greatest, bestest, most profitablest game that's ever come about?  How could they be having money issues?
    Gdemami

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

Sovrath said:

Actually it wouldn't have. The games on that list are "making a profit". They are just making less profit.

They even say:

When these games move into making "not enough profit" they will be closed just like City of Heroes.

I never got the whole "not enough profit" thing. If someone offered you $5 would you say, "No. I'm waiting to get $20."? Probably not. Some profit is better than no profit.

They didn't reassign the people at Paragon Studios, they fired all of them so they would go and work for the competition. So they didn't even try to salvage what they could. It's more like building a sandcastle then stomping all over it so no one else can play with it.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    If NCSoft brought back CoX then I'll subscribe in a heartbeat.  Until they do... I'll not support them in any way.
    Arglebargle

edited May 2017

Alverant said:

Sovrath said:

They even say:

I never got the whole "not enough profit" thing. If someone offered you $5 would you say, "No. I'm waiting to get $20."? Probably not. Some profit is better than no profit.

They didn't reassign the people at Paragon Studios, they fired all of them so they would go and work for the competition. So they didn't even try to salvage what they could. It's more like building a sandcastle then stomping all over it so no one else can play with it.

So companies set financial targets that include profit as well as growth. If they don't make their targets then their CEO/management team will have concerns as that affects stock price.

Stock price goes down then the value of the investor's stock goes down.

That's why it's important for companies to make their targets or at least not miss them too many years in a row. And of course part of that is picking targets that are attainable.

I should add that they also don't want to play it too safe because who wants to invest in a company that doesn't have much growth? At least, if you are interested in making money as opposed to holding on to the value of your investment. So, for example, if you are closer to retirement you might move your money into safer investments as they won't lose money but won't be making "tons of money" like a more aggressive investment would.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017

Hrimnir said:

I don't understand.  I thought GW2 was the greatest, bestest, most profitablest game that's ever come about?  How could they be having money issues?

No mmorpg has been able to take that priviledge from WoW.  :p

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited May 2017

CrazKanuk said:

Guess they should put some money back into COH and get that game back and running, I would spend money there.

Then you are one of a few. It goes without saying that COH players were some of the most dedicated and passionate in the history of the genre, but that doesn't mean that the game wasn't bleeding-out. The subscription base of COH was horrible, yet they maintained the game for nearly a decade. I know some want to hate on them for closing it, but the reality is that they were dedicating resources to a game where those resources were generating waaaaaaay less revenue then they could have been elsewhere had they allocated them to a newer project. Just saying....

I think you need to do a little more research. NCsoft wasn't dedicating resources to Paragon Studios for the sake of CoH, or for the sake of anything at all. NCsoft refused to let the developers work on City of Heroes 2 and they wouldn't give them any more money for anything. They were letting CoH bleed the studio out so they could close the game and the studio.

The questions will always remain though, yet the answers are both simple. Why'd they let it happen and why'd they do it? A= They didn't want the game+studio and They didn't care.

There may be more, but it is too late to matter. Anytime NCsoft loses money I smile inside. Sorry to all those still enjoying their games, but you gotta think. It could have been and still may someday be you and your favorite game/s. They'll screw you over in a heartbeat if they think it'll make them more money.

NCsoft has history and I've learned from it. They, however, have not.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    Its a good thing ArenaNet has a full team pumping out those Living Story updates.

Their salaries are definitely not going to waste. In fact, they all deserve a raise.

The Living Story updates have continued the winning trend set by the HoT expansion.
    bcbully
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Closing down MMOs that aren't making enough profit to shuffle resources to other projects that make more profit only makes sense if you actually have other projects on the table that could make more profit.

So... if NCSoft ends up doing that, hopefully they have some other great projects on the table because Lineage Eternal sure as heck wasn't it.