Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Shuffles Development as Company Profits Tumble - Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance - MMORP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageNCSoft Shuffles Development as Company Profits Tumble - Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance - MMORPG.com

Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance News - After the Lineage Eternal closed beta test in late 2016, NCSoft management revealed that the game "did not reflect NCSoft's characteristics". As a result, NCS announced that a new development team is being put into place and that a new development plan is being devised.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I want Lineage 3 not a top down game diablo type game.

Its time for a sequel to Aion and Lineage 2.

That Lineage drop. Ouch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    All of those games have been out for quite a while, what do they expect?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    A new mmo that is mix of ArcheAge / Black Desert would be nice. 

GladDog
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2017
    Mobile.  Lots of companies talk about it but only if they get the right title.

VR. Seriously? Pretty "grounded in reality" article here:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/NeilSchneider/20170508/297565/Latest_VR_Market_Data_Lets_Get_Our_Mojo_Back.php

I hope they get it together but these results are "bumping along" - and they clearly expected better from L1 imo since I don't recall a warning about L1 being well down this quarter.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited May 2017
    Their newest MMORPG is GW2 and Wild* right they have not made anything after or I might be wrong about that. So another giant is slowly withering. (@#$%^&; what the hell spell check withering is spelt withering stop underlining the word in red when it is spelt correctly)

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited May 2017
    According to their statement They scaled back microtansactions in L1 and the player presence int he game has weakened due to Lineage M launch expectations.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This game was a bit of a let down for a lot of people tbh.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited May 2017

GW2 is really having a hard time

GW2 only revenue stream is HoT box sales (released in October 2015) and players buying gems with real money if you really need something in that cash shop...and buying gems for real money happens because you want to give Anet money or are an impatient person who don't want to take the time to farm to make gold to use the exchange.

Not too surprising that the sales are going down, they will go back up when the next expac gets announced.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'm having a really hard time finding sympathy for NCSoft. Maybe if they treated their non-Korean customers better people would try their products more.
    BartDaCatTyranusPrimeBlaze_Rocker
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Well... If I still had City of Heroes to drop money on...
    BartDaCat

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    From what i hear via game testers (CB1), Lineage eternal was a big letdown.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Guess they should put some money back into COH and get that game back and running, I would spend money there.
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    No sympathy for the devil. They are getting EXACTLY what they deserve. Personally I hope they get bought out. Maybe then we can see City of Heroes again.
    BartDaCat

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Gw2 has a issue where most of the armors/ costumes look terrible so no money spent there, they missed the mark with HoT by wanting to make the game more challenging which they got wrong and just leads to frustration most of the time which in-turn has driven causal players away, gating content behind raids has not helped, at the moment they seem hell bent on making the game for the hardcore minority which was never there bread and butter and I see true turmoil ahead.

Lineage Eternal looks like utter top down crap, a true successor to lineage 2 would have got more attention and hype but eternal will never hit in the west.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839

Not really. We're comparing the period immediately following an expansion (to a 4 year old game) with the normal decline in activity between expansions.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Guess they should put some money back into COH and get that game back and running, I would spend money there.

Then you are one of a few. It goes without saying that COH players were some of the most dedicated and passionate in the history of the genre, but that doesn't mean that the game wasn't bleeding-out. The subscription base of COH was horrible, yet they maintained the game for nearly a decade. I know some want to hate on them for closing it, but the reality is that they were dedicating resources to a game where those resources were generating waaaaaaay less revenue then they could have been elsewhere had they allocated them to a newer project. Just saying....

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

Aeander said:

Not really. We're comparing the period immediately following an expansion (to a 4 year old game) with the normal decline in activity between expansions.

It's well known that GW2 is underperforming financially, on both the main game and the expansion sales.

Especially comparing with older games under NcSoft like Blade and Soul and Lineage 1 that are on the top most profitable MMO's of the industry.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Zeplini said:

Gw2 has a issue where most of the armors/ costumes look terrible so no money spent there, they missed the mark with HoT by wanting to make the game more challenging which they got wrong and just leads to frustration most of the time which in-turn has driven causal players away, gating content behind raids has not helped, at the moment they seem hell bent on making the game for the hardcore minority which was never there bread and butter and I see true turmoil ahead.

They got the "game more challenging right" you mean, what they got wrong is that it was what the game needed.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839

Aeander said:

Actually I was comparing it's numbers to a game like Aion and Lineage II which posted numbers close to it. Not the numbers they are looking for from a much newer game ;)

Aion and Lineage are cash cows in Korea, where NCSoft is at its strongest. NCSoft MMOs have never excelled in the west. This isn't news.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2017
    Aeander said:
    Aion and Lineage are cash cows in Korea, where NCSoft is at its strongest. NCSoft MMOs have never excelled in the west. This isn't news.

Not Aion, the biggest cash cows of Ncsoft are:
    • Lineage 1  > Grossing 87 Million in 4 months.
    • Blade and Soul > Grossing 82 Million in 4 months.

GW2 in a year can't compete with what those make in a month... :|
    And remember GW2's CN release wasn't successful either.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473

Aeander said:

Actually I was comparing it's numbers to a game like Aion and Lineage II which posted numbers close to it. Not the numbers they are looking for from a much newer game ;)

Well u said it yourself. You're comparing wrong games. Those games are p2w cash sinks(especially Aion). There is literally nothing in Gw2's cash shop that you can spend your money. The only serious income for Anet is the expansion sales. And right now we're standing right before a new expansion release which is around september-october. This is not hard to understand really.

When will this forum learn to not compare a b2p game which its only income is the box sales with p2w or p2p games. You guys said the exact same thing right before Hot release. And we saw what happen when the expansion released. I'm playing Gw2 on and off since release. And I have never bought gems with real money except server transfer fees. You can literally buy everything(even server transfer) with ingame gold easily. Again the only serious income for Anet is the expansion sales. That's why their income dropped. And when they release the new expansion they will easily gain that income back.
    Gdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다