Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Launch Day Announced for June 26th + New Trailer - Secret World Legends - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageLaunch Day Announced for June 26th + New Trailer - Secret World Legends - MMORPG.com

Secret World Legends News - Funcom has released a new trailer for Secret World Legends that reveals the launch day as June 26th. The game will be launched as a completely free-to-play title. Secret World Legends is a "shared-world roleplaying game" that is a revamp of Funcom's original MMO, The Secret World.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This is a hub game?

I will give it a try but not expecting much.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Recore said:

This is a hub game?

TSW has always been KIND of a hub game. This just pronounces it more. Agartha is the main hub with the game zones being more limited in players.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Recore said:

This is a hub game?

TSW has always been KIND of a hub game. This just pronounces it more. Agartha is the main hub with the game zones being more limited in players.

I bought the game way back when it released but only played it for a few days. 

I guess I just never really noticed.  =)
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    edited May 2017
    wow, what a scoop. their own web site doesn't  have this posted yet.  nice job!
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

pappacube said:

Their website is a joke. So many dead links and empty pages.
  • bootkiabootkia Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Now that made my day!!!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    Pretty bad timing imo. You're gonna have FFXIV's Stormblood about a week before and WoW's 7.2.5 + Tomb of Sargeras raid around the same time.

F2P or not, a launch can determine the future of a game.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Albatroes said:

Pretty bad timing imo. You're gonna have FFXIV's Stormblood about a week before and WoW's 7.2.5 + Tomb of Sargeras raid around the same time.

Perhaps but are they really the same audience?

I mean, I don't play either World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy but The Secret World is more compelling and I've enjoyed it more than the others. Not to say that there aren't people who play all of them but it seems that it's more than likely they cater to a different demographics.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i hated this game cause the combat was boring at start but the quests were interesting,if the combat is better i would recommend giving it a try;)
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

I mean, I don't play either World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy but The Secret World is more compelling and I've enjoyed it more than the others. Not to say that there aren't people who play all of them but it seems that it's more than likely they cater to a different demographics.

Agreed. It's going for the wider Steam audience now, not the typical MMORPG player. I think it'll do fine.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Raquis said:

i hated this game cause the combat was boring at start but the quests were interesting,if the combat is better i would recommend giving it a try;)

I'm curious to see what they've done with the combat.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

One has to understand that the MMO genre as a whole has always been rather small in comparison to other entertain mediums. For example, WoW having 15M or whatever number subs at its prime seemed like a lot in the mmorpg community, but honestly is rather small if you take it out of that context. My point being, there's so many options and people do tend to focus on going back during content updates vs something new and free. If its free, people tend to put it into the "I'll get to it later" category. Thats just my personal opinion anyway. Just like how I think that many f2p players tend to have more than 1 core game they engage in.
    edited May 2017

Albatroes said:

One has to understand that the MMO genre as a whole has always been rather small in comparison to other entertain mediums. For example, WoW having 15M or whatever number subs at its prime seemed like a lot in the mmorpg community, but honestly is rather small if you take it out of that context. My point being, there's so many options and people do tend to focus on going back during content updates vs something new and free. If its free, people tend to put it into the "I'll get to it later" category. Thats just my personal opinion anyway. Just like how I think that many f2p players tend to have more than 1 core game they engage in.

Perhaps and I do realize that the mmo genre is small but just because there are choices why take them?

I mean, why would I play World of Warcraft, a fine game but for me so deadly dull and Final Fantasy, an extremely beautiful game, but for me so deadly dull, when I can play Secret World, for me a very smart game?

I just don't see many of the same people really gravitating toward all of them. Unless of course they have eased some of the puzzles in Secret world. I seem to remember people complaining that they had to actually work at some of them.

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    I'm verrryyy excited. My wife and I are both lifers and we loved TSW. We never raided, but the story and atmosphere really caught our attention and never let go until the end.

To hear that they improved so much, and are going to add onto it is very exciting.

As for it being a hub world, probably a good thing for us. We never cared about other people around us anyways. Interesting to see them, but they only hindered us most of the time by stealing our mobs and such.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Keller said:

pappacube said:

Their website is a joke. So many dead links and empty pages.

It's Secret World - you have to go on google to find in-game answers.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Albatroes said:

I agree, also just a couple weeks after ESO's "not expansion" Morrowind expansion which has become the go-to game for casual pve'ers and rp'ers, which seems who this this revamp is aimed at.

If I get bored with ESO early and I have some time before Destiny 2 I may give this a shot, as I skipped TSW even though I heard some decent things over the years. The combat was what prevented me from trying it, I'll have to look into some gameplay vids.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Albatroes said:

On top of that you also have Morrowind launching around the same time too!

This trailer didn't really highlight anything major that said "I need to come back and give this a try!". All I heard was, "we have more story and oh yeah, we changed to a reticle targeting system". So much more needs to be fixed and maybe has, but I didn't hear that in the trailer!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Love TSW.  Haven't played in a long time, but may come back.  For me, it played a bit differently than many of my other MMOs.  It was more episodic for me.  Log in, play a few episodes, and get out.  The scenarios were a breath of fresh air because many of them were actually challenging and it would hurt my brain if I did more.  With regular MMos, you can mindlessly wander for hours (still fun) and just sort of autopilot play.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited May 2017
    Would've played the game if the combat wasn't atrocious.

If the revamped game has action combat, AND is F2P now, then hell, I'll go back and play it. Pretty much the only big thing wrong with it.

However if it turns out to be like Neverwinter, then, well, it's better than the old system but still a big letdown.
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    If they improve the combat I'll definitely go back.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    As re-launches go, this seems half-baked at absolute best. That video does the game no favors at all. Quite the contrary, really.

I would say I expect better, but it's Funcom, so...

As for the launch timing... Seriously? Debates about the size of the MMO pie aside, this is a game that has already managed to go nowhere so fast it got simultaneous speeding tickets in multiple jurisdictions. TSW's pseudo-relaunch needs every advantage it can get if it's to be successful -- assuming this isn't just a fancy way of putting the game into maintenance mode, getting some easy box sales in the process, anyway.

The choice of launch date just reeks of Battleborning.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I am actually looking forward to this.

Traditional MMOs have gotten stale to me. ESO is way way to easy, haven't played WoW in years, and FF just isn't my thing.
    That and it being summer with outside stuff to do makes this release perfect timing for me.

There is an audience for an action based multi player SW game. I just don't think it's the same as someone who wants an MMO experience.
    It's for people like me who want a game that's easy to hop in for an hour or two to get some SW fix.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I might take a look at it, but it has to be vastly improved or I wont stay...I thought the first one was really bad...Some of the worst combat and animations I've seen.
  • frangoazulfrangoazul Member UncommonPosts: 31
    same shit with new effects
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    From watching the streams I have no idea why they think they're ready to launch in over a month and a half. Definitely not impressed with what I've seen. Feels half baked from what I've seen them show and I've 'heard' other weapons not featured are in far, far worse shape. Guess we'll see.