Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Monk Gameplay Stream w/ CohhCarnage Pt. 2 - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageEarly Monk Gameplay Stream w/ CohhCarnage Pt. 2 - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.com

From a live stream event earlier today: Cohh and the Pantheon team are back for the second part of the Spring Stream. This time they explore the forboding Tower of the Reckless Magician. Cohh pulls as a monk while the team battles their way to the top of the tower to face the baddies beyond.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Like watching grass grow.
    ZenJelly
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The old EQ feign death split-pulls.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

Recore said:

Like watching grass grow.

If you age and have a limited life span, Pantheon is not the game for you.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    meh..

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited May 2017
    wow 2002 called

I don't know whats worse, being the guy who spent an hour and a half on that or the guy (myself) who spent 30 seconds skipping thru it

but oh boy there is /dance
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    idk...it looks to be everything i've been asking for in an MMO....OLD SKOOL. yeah, it'll be niche. i'm also cool with that. one thing i can say for sure, this will have the best community of players in a modern MMO. this one will keep out most of the crybaby kiddies, they'll say "it's too slow and boring for me" - the entitled milennial generation of instant gratification won't be able to handle it.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I dig it.
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Everything I want; can't wait!
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    By far the best stream yet. Great looking zone, and very important information as well. Namely that death doesn't take you back to those nexus stones that seem to be in every zone. They still aren't committing to definite mechanics, but the plan is for players to respawn at their bind without their gear. It will also be up to the players to bind accordingly before entering a dangerous situation.

Another important note was the information about twinking and how items scale on players. An item on a low level player doesn't adjust down, it remains the same. However, how effective the player uses the item is reduced by their skill level (and maybe how stats benefit from level?). They also want most items to remain tradeable rather than nodrop/bop/boe. This means they are not going out of their way to artificially restrict twinking and what people choose to do with their items.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited May 2017
    For me it's about buying into the offered experience without that experience being tainted by what I "think" things should be like.

When I watch a movie from the 30's or 40's I watch it knowing that the pacing will be different, there will be pauses where today's movies would eliminate them, the scenes will end differently than "modern" movies and the culture back then will of course be different. I could sit there and judge this and scorn that but I take the movies for what they are.

Same with music. If I listen to early music (Renaissance or Medieval) I don't expect the same things I would from contemporary music.

Same with games. The combat in Pantheon certainly is slower paced and it's not about Adrenaline Pumping action. It draws inspiration from an earlier time. I just accept the combat, the pacing and of course the look (it is an indy game after all) for what it's trying to be and can find fun in what is being offered.

I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I hope they improve combat a lot before it's released because those combat animations look like ass. I mean, Lord of the Rings Online has better combat animations than this and that was released in 2007. Just because it's "old school" or "indie" doesn't mean it has to look awful.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Ginaz said:

I hope they improve combat a lot before it's released because those combat animations look like ass. I mean, Lord of the Rings Online has better combat animations than this and that was released in 2007. Just because it's "old school" or "indie" doesn't mean it has to look awful.

I think the animations look good, and have improved drastically over what we saw a few months ago. They know they still have a ton of work though, and only just recently hired animators who will be both creating and polishing the animations.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2017
    As i expected,some ideas i really like and some leave me worried.At least it does do some good things which keeps me interested.
    Just not a fan of devs using prominent streamers to promote their game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Wizardry said:

As i expected,some ideas i really like and some leave me worried.At least it does do some good things which keeps me interested.

With little money how should they promote it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Sovrath said:

Wizardry said:

With little money how should they promote it.

They should die. The streamers should die too. The guys in advertisement and marketing should die too. The games should come in a basket floating over the river.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Lightning Bolt!
    Lightning Bolt!
    Lightning Bolt!
    Lightning Bolt!
    Lightning Bolt!
    Lightning Bolt!
    Dead!
    (uggggg)
    /golf clap
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Dullahan said:

Ginaz said:

I think the animations look good, and have improved drastically over what we saw a few months ago. They know they still have a ton of work though, and only just recently hired animators who will be both creating and polishing the animations.

If you think the combat animations are good, well...different strokes I guess.  I will say that combat animations really do matter.  The Secret World is pretty well regarded as a great MMO...except for it's combat, and in particular the animations.  Same for Lord of the Rings Online.  Great game, horrible combat and animations.  I'm not expecting all MMOs to have action combat like TERA but I DO expect them to grow and evolve from what we had over 10 years ago.  I don't mind tab target combat (I still play WoW) but it has to be better than what I saw in that video.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You guys forgot to criticize the combat music.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Must be the lost sequel to Sacred series. 
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited May 2017
    Dullahan said:
    By far the best stream yet. ...

I thought it was the worst yet; a few good nuggets of info, but gameplay wise the first two streams were far more interesting.

Also, just generally, and while I'm not a fan of everything being AoE pulls in modern MMOs, if Pantheon is going to be designed around 6 v 1 (seriously, why does it take 6 seasoned adventures to take down 1 random guard?) with split-pulling being a necessity for every encounter, it's going to be just as boring.

PS. I know tactics are going to depend on group make-up, but why is it not generally balanced around group vs. encounter (currently it seems to be group vs. 1/2 of an encounter)? With encounters varying in the number and type of mobs (from strong single target to AoE trash), and various tactics used to make the encounter easier (i.e. CC to take the pressure off the healer / tank) and / or more manageable (i.e. to stop alarmists from running, or patrollers from walking in at a bad time) ...

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    I don't know why but their chat while fighting reminds me of that Monty Python sex education skit.
  • Peco115Peco115 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Amazing. Cant wait for to call this home
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I don't know what you guys were expecting but I expected exactly this and this is exactly what I want so I'm happy.
    Chamber of Chains
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

acidblood said:

Dullahan said:
    By far the best stream yet. ...

I thought it was the worst yet; a few good nuggets of info, but gameplay wise the first two streams were far more interesting.

Also, just generally, and while I'm not a fan of everything being AoE pulls in modern MMOs, if Pantheon is going to be designed around 6 v 1 (seriously, why does it take 6 seasoned adventures to take down 1 random guard?) with split-pulling being a necessity for every encounter, it's going to be just as boring.

PS. I know tactics are going to depend on group make-up, but why is it not generally balanced around group vs. encounter (currently it seems to be group vs. 1/2 of an encounter)? With encounters varying in the number and type of mobs (from strong single target to AoE trash), and various tactics used to make the encounter easier (i.e. CC to take the pressure off the healer / tank) and / or more manageable (i.e. to stop alarmists from running, or patrollers from walking in at a bad time) ...

My impression was that the group was a bit under geared/leveled for the area. So they had to rely on single pulls to survive.

Also they're devs playing (while answering questions), they generally don't use the same tactics as experienced MMO players.
    --------------------------------------------
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I must say the wizard in their group was not handling the aggro well. You're supposed to time and use measured attacks when you're a spellcaster. This coming from a wizard that played Everquest from launch to Velious.
    Chamber of Chains