Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2560x1440 Resolution Discussion

KayAndroidKayAndroid Member UncommonPosts: 59
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with playing the game at 1440p.

I'm about to buy some new monitors, and at this point I pretty much have my mind made up on the BenQ BL2420PT, as cheaper Korean 1440p monitors don't seem to have the DisplayPort inputs that I need for my GTX 1060.

Does anyone play the game at this resolution? I don't mind if you play at 3440x1440 either, I just would like a firsthand review if it's possible. Is the interface hard to see/read? 

Thank you for even taking the time to read this :awesome:

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    I have a pair of 1440p screens and it's glorious for EVE. My old-man eyesight isn't the greatest but I have no problem with the interface. Remember that you can increase text size in channels which in my experience is where you need the boost.

HOWEVER: 1440p is a damb lot of pixels. If you have an old video card, you'll soon be considering an upgrade. I added a 1060GTX 6Gb to the build and it made a huge difference.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Run the game at 4k and get 60 fps, having a 980ti helps a lot :p
    Once you start playing games at a higher resolution though you can never go back, and Eve at 4k is an amazing looking game, as always B)
  • KayAndroidKayAndroid Member UncommonPosts: 59

Malcanis said:

I have a pair of 1440p screens and it's glorious for EVE. My old-man eyesight isn't the greatest but I have no problem with the interface. Remember that you can increase text size in channels which in my experience is where you need the boost.

HOWEVER: 1440p is a damb lot of pixels. If you have an old video card, you'll soon be considering an upgrade. I added a 1060GTX 6Gb to the build and it made a huge difference.

Thanks a lot for your input :awesome:
    I was planning on getting two 1440p monitors, and use one for browsing or whatever while playing Eve, but if the GTX 1060 is strong enough, I will DEFINITELY be using both of the for the game!

Phry said:

Run the game at 4k and get 60 fps, having a 980ti helps a lot :p
    Once you start playing games at a higher resolution though you can never go back, and Eve at 4k is an amazing looking game, as always B)

Lol, 4k is a little outside of my budget range for the time being, but I'm sure the game looks amazing at that resolution. You're giving me a lot of hope though, I hear that the GTX 1060 is in-between the GTX 970 and GTX 980 in performance, so things should be looking good for me at 1440p!
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    If you are going 1440p, definitely consider 3440x1440 instead of 2560x1440.  Much better experience across the board.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

centkin said:

If you are going 1440p, definitely consider 3440x1440 instead of 2560x1440.  Much better experience across the board.

Depends on the size on your screen. If 30" or more, go for the 4K. The 2K as OP is considering is just as well at 27", or at least I can't see the difference there so I doubt it is worth the extra cash.

Malcanis said:

I was planning on getting two 1440p monitors, and use one for browsing or whatever while playing Eve, but if the GTX 1060 is strong enough, I will DEFINITELY be using both of the for the game!

I can run 2 clients in "optimise for quality" mode, and even in a decent sized battle (~400 on grid) I was getting 30+ FPS.

Just make sure to get the 6Gb GTX, not the 4Gb GT, as apparently there's a significant difference.

Loke666 said:

centkin said:

Depends on the size on your screen. If 30" or more, go for the 4K. The 2K as OP is considering is just as well at 27", or at least I can't see the difference there so I doubt it is worth the extra cash.

The BenQ BL2420PT monitor that I'm interested in buying is 24" so I think the pixel density/sharpness should be pretty good! I sit relatively close to my monitor :).

Malcanis said:

Malcanis said:

I can run 2 clients in "optimise for quality" mode, and even in a decent sized battle (~400 on grid) I was getting 30+ FPS.

Just make sure to get the 6Gb GTX, not the 4Gb GT, as apparently there's a significant difference.

Thank you for your input :).

I've been thinking about running two clients now that alpha clones are a thing, and going back to salvage all of my sites is time consuming lol. I might create a new account so I can salvage at the same time...

Does the game give you nice settings when you use that mode? I don't think I'll do it if the game recommends that I play on the lowest settings with two clients, ha ha.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I've been thinking about running two clients now that alpha clones are a thing, and going back to salvage all of my sites is time consuming lol. I might create a new account so I can salvage at the same time...

You can't run Alpha account along with any other account running.

Malcanis said:

Malcanis said:

Does the game give you nice settings when you use that mode? I don't think I'll do it if the game recommends that I play on the lowest settings with two clients, ha ha.

Malcanis said:

Malcanis said:

Yeah it's pretty as hell in that mode. Give it a try when you get your card.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

centkin said:

Nonsense.  Sold my 4k monitor and got a much better 2k monitor.  Current 4k monitors have lower refresh rates.  A 2k one with better refresh is much better for gaming with any graphics card.   Besides most of us can not notice much difference between 2k and 4k unless your monitor is huge (48" plus).  

4k is just not viable at the present time unless you have thousands to throw at a monitor.

Gdemami said:

Funny, I did exactly that last week just to see if I could do it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Ozmodan said:

Gdemami said:

I tried to do it back in Nov and it didn't work. Did something change since then?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2017
    Kyleran said:
    I tried to do it back in Nov and it didn't work. Did something change since then?

Afaik the easiest way to bypass the measure is to close the launcher as soon as you log in and then open it again.

Regardless, it is still against EULA and bannable offense.

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/213020969-Alpha-and-Omega-Clone

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited April 2017
    Just make sure you don't buy a too big screen and put it right in front of your nose :)

I have seen youtubers struggling with catching any notifications in their peripheral vision because of that. It is funny to see, because it gives the impression that they actually have to look around to see everything on that big screen.

Gdemami said:

Kyleran said:

Afaik the easiest way to bypass the measure is to close the launcher as soon as you log in and then open it again.

Regardless, it is still against EULA and bannable offense.

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/213020969-Alpha-and-Omega-Clone

Thanks for the information, I guess that puts my idea on hold for the time being, lol.

t0nyd said:

I play 1440p ultra wide and it rocks. Looks good and Tbh you don't need to max settings. I'd be very careful of which Korean monitors you buy. I had a qnix and it was great and over lockable to 90hz easily. The problem is thry started shipping some with different panels. Sometimes you get a VA panel that is nice and over clockable and sometimes not.  Usually you can tell by the inputs. Normally dvid good and anything else bad. Thry change so much wtf knows tho. That's why I just said fuck it and went with a Samsung cf791

I'm still pretty scared man, it seems like right now the Korean monitor market isn't as good as it used to be :open_mouth: . I might have to go with a... Big name brand :confounded:

Kyleran said:

Ozmodan said:

Gdemami said:

I have a steam account client and then a normal account client.  I can log in with either and then the other with no issues.   Personally I find that playing more than one account is a pain and normally don't do it anymore.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2017

Ozmodan said:

Kyleran said:

Ozmodan said:

Gdemami said:

I have a steam account client and then a normal account client.  I can log in with either and then the other with no issues.   Personally I find that playing more than one account is a pain and normally don't do it anymore.

That makes sense, I always forget people can play EVE on Steam.

Is OK, my mining days are over, if/when I come back to EVE it will be to do something new which likely will see me go back to two or three active accounts at most.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Ozmodan said:

Kyleran said:

Ozmodan said:

Gdemami said:

That makes sense, I always forget people can play EVE on Steam.

Is OK, my mining days are over, if/when I come back to EVE it will be to do something new which likely will see me go back to two or three active accounts at most.

If by chance you want to join a 0.0 alliance, join VANIS channel online.
    WARNING: We are by no means averse to mining when the occasion presents.

t0nyd said:

KayAndroid said:

t0nyd said:

I play 1440p ultra wide and it rocks. Looks good and Tbh you don't need to max settings. I'd be very careful of which Korean monitors you buy. I had a qnix and it was great and over lockable to 90hz easily. The problem is thry started shipping some with different panels. Sometimes you get a VA panel that is nice and over clockable and sometimes not.  Usually you can tell by the inputs. Normally dvid good and anything else bad. Thry change so much wtf knows tho. That's why I just said fuck it and went with a Samsung cf791

I'm still pretty scared man, it seems like right now the Korean monitor market isn't as good as it used to be :open_mouth: . I might have to go with a... Big name brand :confounded:

I ended up going with a samsung cf791. Man I love this monitor. Not cheap tho.

Daaaaaamn man! That's a pretty sweet monitor you got there! I hope you're enjoying it. One day I would like to own a monitor like that, or the Acer Predator, but for the time being I'm too broke!
  • Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Running EVE at 3440x1440, once you go 21:9 4K is dead to you. Easily keeping 75 FPS with a single Sapphire Fury card. 

UW makes this game shine with the interface easier to spread out and enjoy as you want it.