Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs Have Gear Grind/Treadmill At Endgame?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
Which MMOs specifically are tailored to a gear grind at endgame?  By gear grind, I mean being able to carry on doing dungeons, raids or even just general PvE content to gain stronger gear once at endgame.  It would also be important that there are still updates coming out periodically which can provide more powerful gear than the current patch.

The only ones I'm aware of are FFXIV and WoW, so are there any others?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    all of them
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I believe Perfect World Does - it's one of the clearest wow-clones (aside from the ancient china fantasy theme) that's a big game on its own.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Scorchien said:

all of them

?
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Well if you guys don't mind, could you please give me a few examples, as I can't find many that are still actually populated enough to do the endgame stuff in the first place.  I was thinking ESO, but then I found out that once you get a certain gear set from a dungeon/trial and upgrade it to legendary, there's no more powerful items out there.  Then I thought TERA, but I'm not sure if that has a gear grind.  Does SWTOR, or is that also just a case of working towards a specific set and that set will be sufficient for all pve content?
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

FuryV said:

Well if you guys don't mind, could you please give me a few examples, as I can't find many that are still actually populated enough to do the endgame stuff in the first place.  I was thinking ESO, but then I found out that once you get a certain gear set from a dungeon/trial and upgrade it to legendary, there's no more powerful items out there.  Then I thought TERA, but I'm not sure if that has a gear grind.  Does SWTOR, or is that also just a case of working towards a specific set and that set will be sufficient for all pve content?

Just when you think that it is the "best gear", all the games (including ESO, TERA and SWTOR) update their games so that you have to start grinding gear AGAIN AND AGAIN. This is the reason I got off the gear grind treadmill. It is really a waste of time.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Even games that start out without it like Guildwars 2 (besides the legendary weapons of course) get some later. First they added ascended items which is a grind, although not as great as Wows but now they add legendary armors as well.

Almost all MMOs have some degree of gear grind at the endgame, some are worse then others.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I've yet to play an MMO which didn't have a gear grind at endgame. 

SWG was close as gear wasn't dropped, it was bought from crafters. But, once you reached endgame you still had to grind, either for cash to buy the gear, or rare drops to sell to fund new gear, or for skilltapes to put in your gear. Then, because gear degraded and broke, you had to replace everything regularly. 

Vanilla LotRO was also close - being horizontal progression at endgame meant that gear wasn't the focus. You could hit cap, buy the best crit-crafted gear and then be able to complete all content in the game. But, there were still raids with gear drops, and then the first expansion switched the gearing to vertical progression so the gear grind became central. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2017

FuryV said:

World of Warcraft
    Star Wars The Old Republic 
    Rift
    Everquest
    Everquest 2
    ArcheAge
    Black Desert Online
    Perfect World
    Aion

The list goes on for a considerable ways. Essentially what you are describing is the WoW model and most modern MMOs are based upon WoW (Which was based upon EQ). If the game is not being described a sandbox it probably follows this model, and even some of the games that claim to be sandbox (Such as ArcheAge and Black Desert) do as well.

If you actually enjoy this model you really have your pick of practically every MMO on the market with a few rare exceptions.

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    edited May 2017
    After experiencing endgame grind once or twice (maybe even three times max), I don't know why anyone would ever want to do willingly do it again.  If all I could ever possibly play from now on were EQ/WoW clones, I would quit MMORPGs for good.  And I would never look back.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328

FuryV said:

Which MMOs specifically are tailored to a gear grind at endgame?  By gear grind, I mean being able to carry on doing dungeons, raids or even just general PvE content to gain stronger gear once at endgame.  It would also be important that there are still updates coming out periodically which can provide more powerful gear than the current patch.

The only ones I'm aware of are FFXIV and WoW, so are there any others?

Alright. Well.

There is:
    Trove: and it's gear treadmill for the sake of being a gear treadmill. Smooth and simple in it's design.. you grind to move up in power.. to grind some more. Trove's complete an entire RNG loot system, ensures you will never get the stat combos you are actually looking for, unless you either sleep with a dev, sell your soul to the store, or offer a blood sacrifice to an evil god, (LOL we are just kidding, a sacrifice to an evil god will still just you RNG crap loot) but hey... there is always more to grind this game.

GW2: Now, while cap stats are not that hard to get, with Ascended, there is a massive grind for specific gear types, like Vipers,which can only be gained by doing raids, and, even then, you get, that's right, tokens, better settle in for some serious weekly farming, as you're gonna need a lot of them, and lets not forget the Legendary Weapons, and now.. they have added a whole new grind for the Legendary Armor, which not only involves the raid, it also has what they call a "legendary Journey" which is a fancy way of saying "We are gonna make you grind all over this entire game"

Dungeons and Dragons Online: Do you like running the same instance based dungeons, forever and ever and ever.. for the acquisition of minor incremental power gain.. then this is the game for you. With Raids, that have staggeringly low drop rates and the ability to quire past lives, this game will have you grinding forever. 

Humm my sarcastic humor ran out... meh.. all of them.
  • HushBlushHushBlush Member UncommonPosts: 37
    a p2p mmo i guess, you need to grind to get better gears.. 

Let's Play Ragnarok Journey