Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited April 2017
    rodarin said:
    They will NEVER get the container within a container figured out. I showed how they never picked up the container they dropped in that fake video they made supposedly showing how they could load cargo inside a box into a ship, yet the guy dropped it on the loading ramp and the guy inside never picked it up.

This reply of yours is just... dear lord...

*deep breath*... The container streaming tech is not about a player picking up one object and put it in another one. It is one big optimization and performance feature that compartmentalizes the game-world.

It is not a dependency for what we saw demoed last year to release in 3.0.

(about they not having the ability to drop a box inside a ship, the released alpha shows how it clearly supports it)
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • OdeezeeOdeezee Member UncommonPosts: 69

rodarin said:

Odeezee said:

i always find it strange that people "armchair develop" a game whose code they have never seen and whose recent tech has not been shown to them, but you will find "experts" saying that this or that cannot be done. it's rather perplexing how conjecture can be used as evidence by said people. the devs say they are working on something and can resolve it and i will believe the people actually working on the game, until they don't manage to implement it, over some random guy on the internet.

it's scary how ignorance nowadays is seen as a badge of honor where people without having verifiable evidence and facts of the issue at hand will just make things up and pass it off as fact. we need to stop that.

we know what is planned for 3.X releases as per the CIG schedule, if things change they update it weekly and explain to us how and why things changed. we won't know if something will take shorter time or require more time like the Network Bind/Un-Bind and the Object Container Streaming, so why even bother theorizing it? there literally is no need as they will tell us if it (or anything else for that matter) will make it into which build. maybe it's just boredom, fear, resentment or something else but it stifles any actual productive discourse.

people also seem to forget that we are literally testers, meant to test the game and give feedback, this is not like head-start access to a game and people need to start treating it like the alpha that it is and not be disingenuous and require it be release ready while they are still working on the fundamental mechanics. it's completely unreasonable and frankly intellectually dishonest.

All the evidence I need is that they havent released anything they claimed to have working for years now. They have shown about a dozen 'game play' videos at various 'cons' (apropos to be sure) over the years, all with these 'groundbreaking' and 'innovative' advances. All coming 'soon' to the alpha test bed. Not a single one of those things has made it yet. Despite them being shown in a GAME PLAY video. How is that possible?

This whole list is a non issue anyway. Just another sales pitch to give people something to talk about and keep the most irrelevant game ever, relevant. Because if they dont have something stupid to talk about then there really isnt anything to talk about concerning this project.

When the most 'positive' thing to happen to this project was their partnership (squireship) to Amazon (which has nothing to do with actually making a video game) then you know this thing is treading water at best. Oh and the 150 million (allegedly) they have raised by selling subs for 'info' and jpegs. Still nothing to do with actually delivering a playable game.

exhibit A. talk about rampant intellectual dishonesty all throughout your response; they are literally still developing the game and have released what is ready when they have it. we have 64-bit precision, we have like 50 currently flyable ships, actually nevermind. my mistake, i assumed you were being genuine but given what you wrote with the evidence currently available in the PU for the things they were working on and have released to backers, you just have an axe to grind and i will not help you perpetuate a false narrative to push some sort of infantile agenda just because you lack patience and feel entitled.
    Phaserlight

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"
    For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

MaxBacon said:

rodarin said:
    They will NEVER get the container within a container figured out. I showed how they never picked up the container they dropped in that fake video they made supposedly showing how they could load cargo inside a box into a ship, yet the guy dropped it on the loading ramp and the guy inside never picked it up.

This reply of yours is just... dear lord...

*deep breath*... The container streaming tech is not about a player picking up one object and put it in another one. It is one big optimization and performance feature that compartmentalizes the game-world.

It is not a dependency for what we saw demoed last year to release in 3.0.

(about they not having the ability to drop a box inside a ship, the released alpha shows how it clearly supports it)

So there is ANOTHER thing they cant do...thanks for clearing it up
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Odeezee said:

i always find it strange that people "armchair develop" a game whose code they have never seen and whose recent tech has not been shown to them, but you will find "experts" saying that this or that cannot be done

On the other side we've got Chris Roberts offering us a deal of incredible computer game unlike any seen before if we just pay for him to make it:
       If he succeeds he gets to keep the profits
       If he fails, we lose everything while he and his family and relatives get to keep some millions of dollars in salaries they've paid themselves.

It's a win-win situation for Chris Roberts where he can either retire successful and stinking rich, or he can retire as failure who still made millions.

What are we supposed to do? Just accept his words. He's obviously wiser than us considering he's managed to create a win-win situation for himself, but I still wouldn't like to give my money away to a person just because he happens to be wise.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    philosophical sidenote: 
    what better choice is there than to give something to the wise? Because they will use it wisely for the benefit of all. 

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 
    what better choice is there than to give something to the wise? Because they will use it wisely for the benefit of all. 

Have fun

Right...tell that to Digital Anvil
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

A terrible mistake to confuse egomania with wisdom.

Feet of clay, feat of clay.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited April 2017
    rodarin said:

So there is ANOTHER thing they cant do...thanks for clearing it up
    It's indeed pointless to discuss with you. You make stuff up as you go, irrelevant to facts and truth, what you THINK it is, shall be. gg

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

A terrible mistake to confuse egomania with wisdom.

Feet of clay, feat of clay.....

That is something you may have to discuss with @Vrika ; .... HE wrote this about Chris Roberts upthread:

"....He's obviously wiser than us considering he's
    managed to create a win-win situation for himself, but I still wouldn't
    like to give my money away to a person just because he happens to be
    wise. "

My sidenote was of a general nature. I personally DO try to support wise people.

Have fun

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

I got two of my favourite games from Digital Anvil ... so no complains from me.

Many hundreds of hours of playtime over the years.

Personally I consider it a wise decision to buy those two games. 

Have fun

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

Have fun

Was it a game that was created a finished out of house and another that was completed after Microsoft bailed out the company and gave Chris Robert the boot? 

Yeah i think you should be thanking others and not someone who likes to claim he is responsible for them
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited April 2017

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

Have fun

Was it a game that was created a finished out of house and another that was completed after Microsoft bailed out the company and gave Chris Robert the boot? 

Yeah i think you should be thanking others and not someone who likes to claim he is responsible for them

Yeah, Starlancer was their first and only game under Digital Anvil. It was pretty awesome for anyone who enjoyed Wing Commander. You could think of it as SQ42. Freelancer was supposed to be like the SC part of it all. In the end, that was drastically reduced in scope. Seems like they're developing it in reverse order this time around. 

To be fair, it's a silly argument to say that we "should be thanking others". I think that goes without saying. Steve Jobs didn't engineer the iPhone. In fact, he was a fucking strung-out lunatic! Bill Gates didn't create DOS, nor did he program Windows. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there are few, if any, leaders who have done anymore more than inspire those who CAN make their vision happen, happen.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited April 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    To be fair, it's a silly argument to say that we "should be thanking others". I think that goes without saying. Steve Jobs didn't engineer the iPhone. In fact, he was a fucking strung-out lunatic! Bill Gates didn't create DOS, nor did he program Windows. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there are few, if any, leaders who have done anymore more than inspire those who CAN make their vision happen, happen.

^^ This is exactly it the point!

Those games wouldn't have happened in the first place if it wasn't for the person who envisioned them, that's the very core base of what made them happen in the first place. But as you said while they take the credit for it, it's their teams who make it happen.

I am thanking ALL at Digital Anvil for having created two top games that I like very much and play(ed) for years.

Have fun

CrazKanuk said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

Have fun

Yeah, Starlancer was their first and only game under Digital Anvil. It was pretty awesome for anyone who enjoyed Wing Commander. You could think of it as SQ42. Freelancer was supposed to be like the SC part of it all. In the end, that was drastically reduced in scope. Seems like they're developing it in reverse order this time around. 

You know starlancer was developed by warthog right? 
    edited April 2017
    Kefo said:

And was directed and created by...? Hint: Two persons. Overseen and developed in partnership by a company led by...? Hint: One person.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Kefo said:

CrazKanuk said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

Have fun

Yeah, but same diff. We're talking about the figureheads, not the actual peons, right? I'm sure CR created just as many problems as he did in the SC offices, with the exception of maybe not being in driving distance ;)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

MaxBacon said:

Kefo said:

And was directed and created by...? Hint: Two persons. Overseen and developed in partnership by a company led by...? Hint: One person.

Directed by Erin Roberts.

i don't think Chris' name appears anywhere except on the box cause he's a egomaniac  

MaxBacon said:

Kefo said:

With excessive credit continually given to what person?  No hint needed....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

CrazKanuk said:

Kefo said:

CrazKanuk said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

Erillion said:

philosophical sidenote: 

Have fun

Have fun

Yeah, but same diff. We're talking about the figureheads, not the actual peons, right? I'm sure CR created just as many problems as he did in the SC offices, with the exception of maybe not being in driving distance ;)

I wouldn't thank CR unless it was to come up with the idea. And then maybe thank him for mismanaging a company so badly that it would have gone bankrupt if not for a Hail Mary save by Microsoft?

I still stand you should be thanking everyone but CR because clearly they are the real heroes who were able to slog through his bullshit and release a decent game. CR just stood at the finish line and collected the medals so that he could feel important

Freelancer was dead in the water, all the millions spent, and no playable game.  Overpromised, Under-delivered.  Sound familiar?  Microsoft stepped in, spent many more millions and it took three more years to get Freelancer out the door.  

Erillion knows this of course. 

edited April 2017
    Kefo said:
    i don't think Chris' name appears anywhere except on the box cause he's a egomaniac  
    You guys have this obsessive hatred against Chris Roberts is just amazing how far you go to discredit him and any success he had on his game development career.

But for the matter of factual, he overall had one successful career, more than most. I'm not even his fan as I haven't played his early games, WC came out the year I was born actually.

MaxBacon said:

Kefo said:
    You guys have this obsessive hatred against Chris Roberts is just amazing how far you go to discredit him and any success he had on his game development career.

But for the matter of factual, he overall had one successful career, more than most. I'm not even his fan as I haven't played his early games, WC came out the year I was born actually.

It's not an obsessive hatred it's stating the facts and how his game career has been over blown. Yes he made a great game with wing commander, I've always said he is a great ideas guy, but as a business owner and final decision guy he is absolute garbage. 

Most people would tend to learn from their mistakes when they have a failed business. Chris seems to have taken the Microsoft buyout as everything is awesome and he's awesome(conjecture so don't shoot me) so run his newest business exactly like how he ran his last business.

So if he hasn't learned from his previous mistakes then he is doomed to repeat them again but this time it's not going to be with publisher money it's going to be with fans money.
    edited April 2017
    Kefo said:

It's not an obsessive hatred it's stating the facts and how his game career has been over blown. Yes he made a great game with wing commander, I've always said he is a great ideas guy, but as a business owner and final decision guy he is absolute garbage. 
    The biggest names in the gaming industry are those who are the "idea guy".

People like Kojima, without them, the game wouldn't have happened. This what the original point made, when you say you should thank the team of developers instead, you ignore that without CR on the first place to envision the game, neither Wing Commander, neither Privateer, Starlancer, Freelancer and Star Citizen would have been a thing in the first place, it all starts with the idea guy.

Usually, at the very top of companies developing large-scale projects, you have CEO's who are the business guy instead of the creative guy, and CR is the creative guy who wants everything exactly how he wants it, so it impacts the production.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    You frigging guys are HILARIOUS. I guess Lotro which is celebrating its 10th Anniversary as an MMO should be giving all their money to Tolkien? Well technically they give a large chunk to his estate since they have to have the  licencing fee. But to claim Tolkien (whom ironically the trilogies were metaphors for, hated technology) is the MAIN reason Lotro is an MMO now....