Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression of Skills and Skillsets Vs. Vertical Progression of Level and Gear

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2016
    Kyleran said:

In fact, it's time based skill gain system (vs effort) is one some love, many dislike, but hey, you can now use the cash shop to fix all that, better right? ;)
    Yeh.

But don't get me wrong. I have NOTHING against p2w in Eve. In fact, the scale of Eve p2w is amazing.

I dislike it simply because the combat is boring, easy-mode, and the game is too much like a virtual world, than a game with single player content.

But hey, everyone has a different preference. 
    as a side note your comment on virtual world is something I would like to explore in a thread once my bars come off.

I mean to me a virtual world is exactly what I look for in a game but for some it apears that is exactly what they DONT want. I would like to learn the difference motovations

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    Chronicles of Elyria by Soulbound Studios.  When did that start development?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    People generally need a goal when they play a game. That could be short term (winning a capture the flag) or long term (building our guild castle) but they need goals.

Getting to the next level is the by far easiest MMO goal to set for your players  followed by getting gear upgrades.

That doesn't mean it is the best goal or most fun but it is easy. Now, if you have horizontal progression and low gear focus you need to set other goals.

That is way harder and way more work. True, if you ace it your game will be huge but failure is very expensive and could mean the end for your company (unless you are huge like Blizzard or Valve). So few devs bother or dare trying.

Loke666 said:

People generally need a goal when they play a game. That could be short term (winning a capture the flag) or long term (building our guild castle) but they need goals.

Getting to the next level is the by far easiest MMO goal to set for your players  followed by getting gear upgrades.

That doesn't mean it is the best goal or most fun but it is easy. Now, if you have horizontal progression and low gear focus you need to set other goals.

That is way harder and way more work. True, if you ace it your game will be huge but failure is very expensive and could mean the end for your company (unless you are huge like Blizzard or Valve). So few devs bother or dare trying.

Yeah, why bother innovating when you can keep making the same old crap that makes no sense and has no logic to it other than trying to make money.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, why bother innovating when you can keep making the same old crap that makes no sense and has no logic to it other than trying to make money.

The sad thing is that it only works as long as someone competent doesn't actually make better mechanics, that would instantly kill off many of the more uninspired games.

But as long as everyone does it it works and you earn an acceptable sum, not great but acceptable.
    edited April 2017

Loke666 said:

The sad thing is that it only works as long as someone competent doesn't actually make better mechanics, that would instantly kill off many of the more uninspired games.

But as long as everyone does it it works and you earn an acceptable sum, not great but acceptable.

Yeah.  I thought more about how to make a real Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Game, where your choices actually matter and you can even change or effect the world around you, after I was posting here last year.  I think I know how, but I'm not gonna write any more stuff on public forums where people can read them, use them, and not give me a dime.  I was just too excited about the possibilities last year.

It's actually interesting how people test and give feedback to games without getting paid.  A lot of companies even expect you to pay to test their games for them.
    Post edited by cantankerousmage on