Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online was the best.....

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Supposedly everyone's first MMO is always their favorite, but that wasnt the case for me....UO was my first and I hated it..... Did not like the thug mentality gamging up on noobs the second they set foot outside of Britannia......I guess its fun if youre the ones killing everybody but for the majority of us that kind of gameplay sucks.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Supposedly everyone's first MMO is always their favorite, but that wasnt the case for me....UO was my first and I hated it..... Did not like the thug mentality gamging up on noobs the second they set foot outside of Britannia......I guess its fun if youre the ones killing everybody but for the majority of us that kind of gameplay sucks.

Meridian 59 here. It wasn't the best, I enjoyed it but I played better since.

Some people certainly think their first was their best but far from everyone. I do however remember original games far better then the ones I already played similar earlier.

Originality is important, it doesn't of course matter if you havn't played already existing similar games earlier but try to avoid copying games everyone already played.

Aethaeryn said:

That is what I have been looking for.  I don't want an online RPG as much as a virtual world.  Some of the ideas they had but could not manage would be great now.  Animals, dragons having hunger / stomach sizes, and eating each other or traveling to find food for example.  This might be able to happen today with the computing power.  Those things died because there were soooo many players on that little map that it didn't work out and they just had to keep spawning them before it mattered.  You would need an immense world.

I would love to see someone try it.  MOBs rarely even move any more let alone in random directions.  UO managed that at least.

Yeah, there is certainly room for MMOs like that but there ain't any room for a straight off UO clone. I miss games like that myself.

The thing is that trying to copy something original like UO is missing the point, part of what made games like that good is how it tried new things and how fresh they were, a clone would just be cynical. It is like Hollywood constantly trying to remake old movies, most of them fail badly or do so-so.

But the idea behind it is another matter. The idea of creating a living world with a huge amount of players in it creating their own story is good. The huge amount of freedom both in the world and character mechanics have as big potential now as 1997, you just can't make it the same way this time.

You can not remake UO and keeping what made the game great in 1997.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Torval said:

Well, I still play UO. Same account since December 5, 1997, although the account has changed pubs several times. Even with all the changes - good and bad - it's still a better game than most of the garbage in the top five here. ESO is the only tolerable exception.

Having said that, I wasn't a fan of gargoyles or the enhanced client, but I'm not forced to play gargoyles or use the enhanced client. 

What is the other option to the enhanced client? Why do you like the old one better? What are gargoyles?

The other option to the enhanced client is the classic client. The original game client. The enhanced client was trying too much to have an interface similar to WoW and other theme parks. I didn't really work with UO. Most people use the classic. In fact, I don't think the enhanced client ever moved out of beta.

Gargoyles are a playable race in UO now. They are kind of like a mage and tank rolled into one. They can fly, instead of requiring mounts to travel faster. I didn't feel they ever fit well as a playable race.

Both gargoyles and the enhanced client were added with Stygian Abyss, which was my least favorite expansion.

If by "Ultima Online" you mean Everquest then yes, it was the best.

lol

The first time I played EQ my thought was, "This is UO for dummies."

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Apparently people who feel this don't remember the feeling of mining the mountains.  Doing the one step/drop of the ore and trying to process it.  Only to have some a-hole come and kill you.  And then heaven forbid your ghost get close and they kill you again.  Or as a mage having that happen AND lose your reagents.  Nah.  UO did nothing but piss me off in it's time.  EQ was where it was at.  (I remember looking at the box, seeing the "graphics" and being like.. I have to own this game)
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    I loved UO.  Though admittedly I played it more religiously after Trammel was introduced.  But I do vividly remember joining factions and having guild wars; having to have my guild / faction guard me while I mined / smelted and then made armor.  Granted, when we got out castle I was just teleported there to craft hundreds of sets of armor for our army.

The Guild Tournaments, BBQ, Treasure Hunting, fishing trips, Town battles, large-scale battles, player made malls and the bustling city of commerce whereby you just walked the streets and people were selling their player made goods was just amazing.  Tamers lining the streets with mounts they tamed -- whether they were normal or Nightmares or whatever -- and making money.  Bards playing their songs, going into dungeons as tamers and bards with their Large Tamed dragons. 

You were pretty much a part of a society and economy in itself.  I was commission to make probably thousands of sets of armor for entire armies, since the game was full PvP full loot.  Also hunted animals, made food, sheered sheep for their wool to make clothing and then cut into bandages... alchemy for potions.  You had to play smart and not just carry a veritable wealth of armor and equipment -- or wear anything expensive -- lest you get PK'd for it all.  50 Bandages, a few potions, a spare weapon, etc... Though you could also get pick pocketed by a thief. 

We used to have a mountain near our castle that we had an actual caravan of pack animals coming to and from -- with fully armed knights guarding it from player bandits or enemies trying to cut off supplies.  When Everquest came out after that, I remember thinking it was just a crappy online game where there were restrictions galore -- a grind fest with little social activities.  But then after that I got hooked on FFXI around 2003... so I wonder if I should have given it more of a chance despite it being inferior in most ways systematically.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Loke666 said:

it doesn't matter. just like countless other things throughout history, just because something did well in its time doesn't mean it will do well now.
    candlesticks were hugely popular in the middle ages, nowadays we have electricity, would you like to go back to using candles to illuminate your living spaces? most people wouldn't be able to bear the thought
    it's like renewable energy sources, civilization used to get power from coal, nowadays we can use wind mills and solar energy, which are improvements in a lot of ways, they're gaining terrain too, they of course require huge investments in infrastructure.

we now have immensely better hardware and software methods to produce hugely superior high fidelity games, instead of focusing on doing it how they did it in the old times, when it was a lot more difficult to do games. why don't we focus on what we could achieve with what we have now? it'd yield a lot better results.

it's like if lockheed martin or some plane building company was trying to design a new better type of aircraft but decided it'd be best to base this around old soviet schematics from the 60s. Ridiculous. Nostalgia, it's nonsensical.
    but trust me, the large majority of gamers wouldn't go back to playing anything anywhere close to UO

That doesn't mean that UOs ideas and mechanics were bad.

This is the Horton flying wing, nazi plane from 1944. Lockheed Martin would never rip off its design long after right (it actually had a bit of stealth):

Well considering that the whole American space program after WWII was basically all German scientists that were formerly Nazis.  You could say the USA actually had a German space program lol.  NASA is part of the Air Force that become an independent military branch with the National Security Act of 1947.  So I would say you can't really rip off yourself.  After all, these were the same guys creating these aircraft.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

lol

Heh I had the opposite reaction....I thought 'Too bad UO wasnt more like this"

lol

Heh I had the opposite reaction....I thought 'Too bad UO wasnt more like this"

You mean geared toward the special snowflakes who ushered in Trammel?

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited April 2017
    Wasn't it something called shoot the past with a bean and you will get whole melon in your face ?