Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get in on the Unlimited Free Trial During Season 3 - The Exiled - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGet in on the Unlimited Free Trial During Season 3 - The Exiled - MMORPG.com

The Exiled News - During the next four weeks, The Exiled will be in Season 3. Rather than use a 7-day free trial, Fairytale Distillery has opted to open the gates to everyone. That means all you have to do is download and install the game, start it up and you're in. There are some limits, however, such as limited character slots that can easily be unlocked by purchasing a Supporter Pack.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Didn't take long for them to change their mind.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Open PvP and Full Loot means myself and many others won't play! lol
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Is this the game that used to be Das Tal?
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Nice!
  • yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191

Is this the game that used to be Das Tal?

Yes it was named Das Tal, I dont know why they renamed it to The Exiled. Das Tal sounds much much cooler.
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Hmm... I tried it at one point last year for about 10 minutes. Couldn't get past the spawn campers.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2017

Open PvP and Full Loot means myself and many others won't play! lol

The gear and progression somewhat resets periodically and have rather flat power curve anyway.

The game is much closer to MOBA than traditional MMO. 

It is a PVP game 'done right'.
  • HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Looking at steamcharts.org it's pretty clear this is a hail mary or the game will shutdown since it's current average players is 6.6 with a peak of 34 *pffft*

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• lashlashlashlash Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited April 2017

Hytek said:

Looking at steamcharts.org it's pretty clear this is a hail mary or the game will shutdown since it's current average players is 6.6 with a peak of 34 *pffft*

There are games in Early Access, like this one, with 1-2 players max over the past 6 months, like Sunset Rangers, which has active development ongoing. Because a game does no marketing and is in Dev, means that it's not really able to "shutdown". You might be able to make the argument after release.

As long as there is active development for an Early Access game, a game with a small dev team like this can be sustainable with small player numbers even after release. It isn't a multimillion thing which needs huge player numbers to succeed anyways.
    edited April 2017
    In the first two weeks, there was 16,000 or so players who tried the game as well. Source: https://steamspy.com/app/332650

Concurrent isn't the whole story, since every player doesn't play 24/7, and this game doesn't require much of a time investment by design.

Of course there was a pay wall as well for Early Access previously, but that was mainly to avoid alienating their Kickstarter backers. Now I guess they decided they wanted to open up the game more and stress test again (since they had massive lag problems before which thy fixed).

In terms of cash flow, we don't know for sure, but using Early Access as your only form of revenue isn't standard and not encouraged. It's mostly supposed to be for feedback in the development phase, a step further than a Kickstarter.

Development for games like this take a long time, so there is always another cash input somewhere else. My guess is a mix of investors and the government, since it's a German developer. Some Kickstarter and Early Access sales probably to show some matched sales from investors, which is a common thing in Germany and funding milestones.

Edit: Got rid of the weird breaks in formatting
    Post edited by lashlash on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    When will these games learn the value of the lesson  that open PvP and full loot will lead to a limited number of players even willing to try your game. When you have such rules people generally stay away not from fear but from being frustrated by players who insist on spawn camping you.

edited April 2017

kitarad said:

When will these games learn the value of the lesson  that open PvP and full loot will lead to a limited number of players even willing to try your game. When you have such rules people generally stay away not from fear but from being frustrated by players who insist on spawn camping you.

I guess this is a bit of an experiment too, and they want to see feedback to tune it. It's not "really" open PvP and full loot either. There are some soft ways they are dealing with it.

In the beginner zone, strong players are significantly weakened, so a new player can almost beat them 1v2. If you do die, it's more like dying in a tutorial. You won't lose anything much, but it is still a soft lesson (and perhaps a filter for if you even like the concept). Spawn camping can't really happen on anyone anymore since the previous update as well.

You lose your inventory when you die, but that is usually not significant. Your equipment has a very low chance of dropping for low level equipment. But the absolute highest level equipment has a 30% chance of dropping. So it's risk/reward. If you have good equipment and are in a clan, it's not too hard to get that back either, since you probably fight others and get their equipment dropped sometimes too, and the resources end up not being significant once you are established a bit. The power curves on the equipment isn't strong either, so even if you gain or lose the equipment, the bonus is marginal.

They also automatically show you a list of clans with "open" settings, so you can in fact join a clan straight away quite easily with one click, since this update. You don't need to have friends to join, and the barriers to entry are very low now. I think a lot of people are finding that making the system softly nudge you towards being social for survival is a nice system. Anyways, still a lot of time left in the season, we'll see how it goes. But it is shaping up to be quite fun. Plenty of people for cooperating and competing with.