Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Scorpio Exclusive: Final Specs Revealed!

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2017

I tend to believe that consoles are for gamers and  PC is for gamers.
    I  never saw the point in limiting myself to only one platform.

that sounds clever and snappy but  it implies they are both basically the same but they are actually radically different. So that moto might need a bit more massaging to be perfect.

More over, not all experiences are justified experiencing just to wided ones experiences. I very literally find console gaming to be painful, its not a joyful experience and the experience for me is extreemly different so the motto doesnt work well

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Ozmodan said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

Recore said:

If the game is not released for the PC it is just a 2nd rate game.  End of story.

very true.

'exclusives' rarely mean good

Wrong again.  The top rated games with the highest metacritic and review scores are mostly exclusive games or console games. 28 of 50 actually.  Not to mention that almost all but 3 of them are PC exclusive titles. That means consoles can play the majority of the greatest games currently, and also more of the greatest games than PC's can due to exclusives.  Many of the exclusives are Nintendo and Playstation exclusives, with  Microsoft not really having any particular "exclusives" on the list due to them making Halo available for the PC.

http://www.businessinsider.com/50-best-games-all-time-critics-2017-3/#36-gran-turismo-3-a-spec-15

That would mean exclusives as far as top ratings games are good more often than not.

Only comment I have for that is ROFL!  Best games are always on the PC.  Console exclusive games are flat out pathetic!

No. They aren't. Just read the list.  If you haven't played the games on console that are on the best games of all times list you really can't comment on them. 

Ozmodan said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

Recore said:

If the game is not released for the PC it is just a 2nd rate game.  End of story.

very true.

Wrong again.  The top rated games with the highest metacritic and review scores are mostly exclusive games or console games. 28 of 50 actually.  Not to mention that almost all but 3 of them are PC exclusive titles. That means consoles can play the majority of the greatest games currently, and also more of the greatest games than PC's can due to exclusives.  Many of the exclusives are Nintendo and Playstation exclusives, with  Microsoft not really having any particular "exclusives" on the list due to them making Halo available for the PC.

http://www.businessinsider.com/50-best-games-all-time-critics-2017-3/#36-gran-turismo-3-a-spec-15

That would mean exclusives as far as top ratings games are good more often than not.

Only comment I have for that is ROFL!  Best games are always on the PC.  Console exclusive games are flat out pathetic!

No. They aren't. Just read the list.  If you haven't played the games on console that are on the best games of all times list you really can't comment on them. 

That is completely false.

That is like saying 'the only way to know sticking a fork in your eye hurts is to do it'
    FALSE

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

Recore said:

very true.

That is like saying 'the only way to know sticking a fork in your eye hurts is to do it'
    FALSE

If you want to know what good Chinese food is like, go where the Chinese go to eat. If the restaurant is full of Caucasians leave. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

Recore said:

very true.

FALSE

No. It's not false. It's actually true.  You misrepresent the premise that he has played any good console game before.  Most everyone can make an aggregate assumption based on feeling pain before.  

Lacking intelligence in making an analogy won't work in this instance I'm afraid.

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

Recore said:

very true.

FALSE

No. It's not false. It's actually true.  You misrepresent the premise that he has played any good console game before.  Most everyone can make an aggregate assumption based on feeling pain before.  

Lacking intelligence in making an analogy won't work in this instance I'm afraid.

yes.

they actually can.

I understand you are making the argument that nobody can really know that sticking a fork in your eye hurts without actually doing it but you are wrong. Its really that simple

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

SEANMCAD said:

Ozmodan said:

Recore said:

very true.

FALSE

yes.

they actually can.

I understand you are making the argument that nobody can really know that sticking a fork in your eye hurts without actually doing it but you are wrong. Its really that simple

Your lack of understanding is pretty spot on from what I'd expect. 

Succinctly put - do you know what metacritic is? 

edited April 2017

Torval said:

SEANMCAD said:

that sounds clever and snappy but  it implies they are both basically the same but they are actually radically different. So that moto might need a bit more massaging to be perfect.

More over, not all experiences are justified experiencing just to wided ones experiences. I very literally find console gaming to be painful, its not a joyful experience and the experience for me is extreemly different so the motto doesnt work well

Wrong. It implies commonality, not equivalency.

so according to you the only way one can know a nuclear explosion is painful is to experience one.

bullshit.

This kind of logic is what brainwashers try to use
    (oh and it doesnt fucking matter what you call it commonalit, equaivalency or a purple donkey, my statement of the Fork example is still true)

SEANMCAD said:

Torval said:

SEANMCAD said:

so according to you the only way one can know a nuclear explosion is painful is to experience one.

bullshit.

So according to you the ability to feel and identify pain is equivalent to all forms of deciphering the merit of entertainment.   

This shows lack of critical thinking. 

SEANMCAD said:

Torval said:

SEANMCAD said:

bullshit.

So according to you the ability to feel and identify pain is equivalent to all forms of deciphering the merit of entertainment.   

nope but I am saying a lot of it (just not all of it) unless of course your 10 and have nearly zero experience with the form in question.

so for example, someone like my mother who has nearly never played a video game it going to be hard. but someone like myself with 34 years of expreince nearly daily around video games someone like me can tell if the fork is likely to hurt

Torval said:

SEANMCAD said:

Torval said:

SEANMCAD said:

bullshit.

Fixed that for you.

I don't even know how we got from idea that consoles and PCs both offer gaming platforms that gamers can enjoy, and that experiencing that enjoyment is not mutually exclusive to the other, to "The only way I can truly know pain is through nuclear detonation." Just wtf.

critical thinking skills is what is helpful in determining the core point of a statement rather than trying to turn it into a debate over syemantics of commonality vs. equivalency brought up completely randomly and without context.

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Torval said:

SEANMCAD said:

bullshit.

nope but I am saying a lot of it (just not all of it) unless of course your 10 and have nearly zero experience with the form in question.

so for example, someone like my mother who has nearly never played a video game it going to be hard. but someone like myself with 34 years of expreince nearly daily around video games someone like me can tell if the fork is likely to hurt

No, what you are saying is that after "34 years of experience" you know what YOU like.  You do NOT know what a good or bad game looks like.  

Case in point, you like games like 7 Days to Die and Elite Dangerous.  These games aren't great games in general. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/7-days-to-die

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/elite-dangerous

In comparison to games like Zelda Breath of the Wild and  Uncharted 4

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end

Why do I use metacritic as an example?  Because it's aggregate data from all critic reviews as well as user reviews.  

So overall you may like 7 days to die better,  you may like Elite Dangerous better.  That is fine.  But that doesn't make them better games, or even good games to most people.

edited April 2017

No, what you are saying is that after "34 years of experience" you know what YOU like.  You do NOT know what a good or bad game looks like.  

Case in point, you like games like 7 Days to Die and Elite Dangerous.  These games aren't great games in general. 

Why do I use metacritic as an example?  Because it's aggregate data from all critic reviews as well as user reviews.  

So overall you may like 7 days to die better,  you may like Elite Dangerous better.  That is fine.  But that doesn't make them better games, or even good games to most people.

completely not related to what you said.

In fact, you yourself suggested that a person has the option to say a game is not good if they have tried it. Now this logic you present doesnt provide that option so you should have just lead with that in the first place rather than some bullshit about 'you dont know until you try'

you should have just said

'the majority is always right and their opinion is objective, your experience is always subjective.'

SEANMCAD said:

completely not related to what you said.

In fact, you yourself suggested that a person has the option to say a game is not good if they have tried it. Now this logic you present doesnt provide that option so you should have just lead with that in the first place rather than some bullshit about 'you dont know until you try'

you should have just said

'the majority is always right for everyone'

obfuscation and lack of understanding on your part.

Go back to the OP you tried to defend.  "Best games are always on the PC.  Console exclusive games are flat out pathetic!"  

No... the best PC games aren't always on PC. Console exclusive games are not pathetic.  In fact, Console Exclusive games as per the list which is aggregate of all critics and thousands of users show that more console exclusive games are the best games that any platforms have to offer.

Keep trying though.

edited April 2017

Go back to the OP you tried to defend.  "Best games are always on the PC.  Console exclusive games are flat out pathetic!"  

No... the best PC games aren't always on PC. Console exclusive games are not pathetic.  In fact, Console Exclusive games as per the list which is aggregate of all critics and thousands of users show that more console exclusive games are the best games that any platforms have to offer.

Keep trying though.

but here is the thing.

If your position is the majority is always right and thus their view is objective and any minority view is purely subjective then it doesn't matter if ones tries the game or not because if they have any view other than the majority then they are just being subjective....does it?

so why even make a statement like that in the first place? let alone it being ridiculous statement in the first place regardless of the context

Now regarding any specific quote I may have made about all console games being trash I acknowledge that this is an off hand statement. I do hold the position that most of them are. but I dont go around telling pepole that there is no way they can know if eating razor blades hurts without trying it.

SEANMCAD said:

Keep trying though.

but here is the thing.

If your position is the majority is always right and thus their view is objective and any minority view is purely subjective then it doesn't matter if ones tries the game or not because if they have any view other than the majority then they are just being subjective....does it?

so why even make a statement like that in the first place? let alone it being ridiculous statement in the first place regardless of the context

I think you're misunderstanding again.  "The majority is right" isn't the correct view.  "Right" and "Wrong" isn't a position dictated to whether a game is good or not.  It's "Liked" and "Disliked".

If the majority LIKE a game, the trend would be that other people should play the game because it is good.

If the majority DISLIKE a game the game is generally thought of to be bad.

Blanket statements of "all console games are bad"  are incorrect statements.  Bad games can still have fans. Good games can be on consoles.  Critically some of the best games are console exclusives.

It's not that liking a particular game is "right" or "wrong"  but saying that games are bad because they are console exclusives is wrong.  It is not wrong, however, to say you dislike a game because it is a console exclusive. 

SEANMCAD said:

Keep trying though.

but here is the thing.

I think you're misunderstanding again.  "The majority is right" isn't the correct view.  "Right" and "Wrong" isn't a position dictated to whether a game is good or not.  It's "Liked" and "Disliked".

If the majority LIKE a game, the trend would be that other people should play the game because it is good.

If the majority DISLIKE a game the game is generally thought of to be bad.

Blanket statements of "all console games are bad"  are incorrect statements.  Bad games can still have fans. Good games can be on consoles.  Critically some of the best games are console exclusives.

It's not that liking a particular game is "right" or "wrong"  but saying that games are bad because they are console exclusives is wrong.  It is not wrong, however, to say you dislike a game because it is a console exclusive. 

that is all very nice and we can get into debates on what you are implying when it comes to statements that read as Objective declarations that end up by your own logic actually being Subjective ones but it has in the end NOTHING to do with 

'you have to try it to know'

Nyctelios said:

This is not about consoles v PC or this game v that game.

This thread became about your egos.

Every platform has its pros and cons. Those pros and cons make it more suited to some and less suited to others. There is no absolute better in terms of taste - but some could argue technical points, yet those technical points also means cost (in terms of purchase cost or maintenance cost). 

@maskedweasel
    as much I agree with most things you say metacritic is not a valid point other than populism and populism does not equal to quality in any stretch of imagination. It does not invalidate many of your points, but please have it in mind: Most metacritic scores are result of bandwagon spam of 10's or 0's had many cases of prooven developer spamming 10's on it - the same goes to IMDB (movies weren't even on closed premier and they were rated 10).

You are right in the sense that any users can get on to spam one number or another,  but that is every site in general.  Metacritic is my preferred choice because its an aggregate of all the critic reviews as well.  

For example if we take the same game like Elite Dangerous, and go to Steam,  the steam scores are very similar to Metacritic User Scores.  Critic scores are a little higher.  Overall you get to see a decent trend per game.   There is no "one true review" that holds sway, so the only way to really get a good idea of such a trend is a compilation. 

SEANMCAD said:

that is all very nice and we can get into debates on what you are implying when it comes to statements that read as Objective declarations that end up by your own logic actually being Subjective ones but it has in the end NOTHING to do with 

I would think you of all people would agree with "you have to try it to know" seeing as how you have tried to champion VR for so long.  I'm sure if I went back in time to a few posts of yours, you would be saying the same thing. 

The point is,  unlike the finite resolution of receiving pain when you harm yourself,  entertainment does not fall into the same category as basic biological reactions.  Entertainment is subjective, sure.

But as everyone has a different taste, trying is the only way of knowing.

Lets look at this from another point.  "All console exclusive games are bad".  Tomorrow Zelda Breath of the Wild launches on PC.  Is that suddenly a good game?   The game itself doesn't change much.  Blanket statements (especially based on platform) have no place in determining the worth of a title - period.  

Case in point,  Elite Dangerous was a PC game, but now it's a console game.  Would it be any less of a game if it was a Console game first and then a PC game? 

edited April 2017

SEANMCAD said:

I would think you of all people would agree with "you have to try it to know" seeing as how you have tried to champion VR for so long.  I'm sure if I went back in time to a few posts of yours, you would be saying the same thing. 

The point is,  unlike the finite resolution of receiving pain when you harm yourself,  entertainment does not fall into the same category as basic biological reactions.  Entertainment is subjective, sure.

But as everyone has a different taste, trying is the only way of knowing.

Lets look at this from another point.  "All console exclusive games are bad".  Tomorrow Zelda Breath of the Wild launches on PC.  Is that suddenly a good game?   The game itself doesn't change much.  Blanket statements (especially based on platform) have no place in determining the worth of a title - period.  

Case in point,  Elite Dangerous was a PC game, but now it's a console game.  Would it be any less of a game if it was a Console game first and then a PC game? 

its a good argument but where it fails is in its bitwise attitude. I really should not have to explain this but I suppose I do.

if a baby is born and as a result knows nothing about the world then YES they actually would have to stick a fork in their eye to know it hurts.
    But as life moves on in experience they experience pain, then they see others in pain and know what that is like
    and over time it builds with ......experience.

so again. If one has ZERO experience with VR, zero ability to conceptualize it then yes, they should try it.
    If on the other hand one played AAA games (for example) for 10 fucking years, then they have a pretty good understanding of what they are like more so then they would if the conversation was about shore fishing vs offshore fishing.

Why does this really need to be explain?

so basically one does NOT need to try every single game on the planet in order to tell if the game is not to their liking if they have experience in games. In fact with games its even more so, is there REALLY a huge experience difference in a game between watching someone play and using WSAD yourself in order to at least get a baseline that you would enjoy it given years of experience with games? no ....hell fucking no

I can assure you with a high level of confidence that if I showed my mother a game where you run around and kill shit with a chainsaw that if she tried it she would not like it

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017

Thank you! If only the fanatics weren't so blind and childish. No matter which platform you choose (one or all), all platforms are good for gamers.

Life is too short to add another limitation to it.

Torval said:

I think we just like to argue. No one talks like those haters in real life. With a couple of exceptions every gamer I know games on multiple platforms. Some are more used than others, but most gaming acquaintances or friends I know have at least two different gaming platforms if not 3 or 4 in some state of use.

I think the problem is the attempt at normalizing the difference to insignificant or making anyone who doesnt like one platform irrelevant.

The reality is the gaming experience between the two is often RADICAL and if one doesnt like the other its not a crime and it is a valid experience for them.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I will be getting the Scorpio. Besides MMOs I really dont play games on PC anymore.

SEANMCAD said:

so basically one does NOT need to try every single game on the planet in order to tell if the game is not to their liking if they have experience in games.

This is the basic point you have been trying to make, and this point completely misses the premise of the phrase "All exclusive console titles are bad"  

Here's another one.  "All VR titles are bad".  Sounds good doesn't it?  

SEANMCAD said:

so basically one does NOT need to try every single game on the planet in order to tell if the game is not to their liking if they have experience in games.

This is the basic point you have been trying to make, and this point completely misses the premise of the phrase "All exclusive console titles are bad"  

Here's another one.  "All VR titles are bad".  Sounds good doesn't it?  

Ok first off I never said 'all exclusive console titles are bad'

I said 

'exclusive doesnt always mean good'

there is a huge difference is there not?
    you cant really deny that on most gaming forums sites the default assumption is 'exclusive = good' I am just saying that is not true. again, its not bitwise, by saying not all exclusive are good DOES NOT MEAN all of them are bad