Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Female armor in mmorpgs!

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Distopia said:

Realistic....... Yep cause there were just millions of women in those ancient times wearing full plate armor. 

There were plenty of female warriors dating all the way back to the Ancient Roman era (be them Britons, Germanic, Celts, vikings etc...), it's a sure fire bet they weren't running around in string bikinis for the most part. They may not have had Full plate (most armies didn't as it only suited a certain kind of fighting style). Yet they surely used protective gear. Few if any armies had millions of warriors btw in ancient times.... 

There were warrior women, but it was very rare.  I think there are reasons for this.  For one thing, men have something innate built in that made them compete for the right to procreate.  It was some type of mechanic that allowed the passing of the most healthy and strong of the male species.  Woman generally didn't and still don't have that type of compete to the death type of built in mechanic.  They are geared towards taking care of their children.  They also had a high fatality rate when birthing.  

I'm not trying to argue whether something is realistic or not.  Just that if you can have a multitude of warrior women in a game that aren't submissive to men's rule then you can also have scantily clad beautiful women all over the place for entertainment purposes.  I'm just stating my preference of having that type of visual appeal and also having more interesting women (to me) in entertainment.  I don't find that women taking on the roles of men, but doing it in a much more goody too shoes way is entertaining.  Maybe woman like it, but I find it really makes it difficult for me to enjoy.  The funny thing is strong women were rare in entertainment when I was growing up and I really enjoyed them a lot.  I just don't enjoy the modern day versions which are numerous in entertainment.  They have also cheapened some good shows I lived by as a kid like Star Wars, Ghostbusters, etc.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Sovrath said:

Distopia said:
    The funny part with Conan is, it really didn't become that way until Frazetta took over painting covers. Most of Howard's actual writing had Conan dressed in armors, silken robes, Turbans and tunics,   etc... Depending on where he was.

Didn't know that (or didn't remember, I'm sure I've read a few of those books). Thanks!

Yep, Frazetta was to Conan what Jackson was to LotR :wink:  (and while I don't like everything what PJ did, I don't mean the comparison in a bad way)
    It's not even that Conan had a wider wardrobe than a simple loincloth, he was no "Arnold" either, more like an athlete (or an MMA fighter if that suits you more). He is fast, nimble even, several times described as cat-like or panther-like, and not a huge pile of muscles :wink:

Frazetta's art (which I really like, btw) changed the whole visual world of Conan, and it doesn't matter that it's a good or a bad thing, it is a fact. (Just like PJ's scenes and visual world did with LotR for a lot of people.)
    Later when the comics started, the artists already worked by his visuals, so after a couple decades, and with the movies too, Conan is now Arnold. (Hive said that too, a couple years ago https://youtu.be/3pBc51WqhCY?t=28s  )
    So much so, that Momoa was criticised as too skinny for the role of Conan :lol:

Po_gg said:

Sovrath said:

Distopia said:
    The funny part with Conan is, it really didn't become that way until Frazetta took over painting covers. Most of Howard's actual writing had Conan dressed in armors, silken robes, Turbans and tunics,   etc... Depending on where he was.

Didn't know that (or didn't remember, I'm sure I've read a few of those books). Thanks!

Yep, Frazetta was to Conan what Jackson was to LotR :wink:  (and while I don't like everything what PJ did, I don't mean the comparison in a bad way)
    It's not even that Conan had a wider wardrobe than a simple loincloth, he was no "Arnold" either, more like an athlete (or an MMA fighter if that suits you more). He is fast, nimble even, several times described as cat-like or panther-like, and not a huge pile of muscles :wink:

Frazetta's art (which I really like, btw) changed the whole visual world of Conan, and it doesn't matter that it's a good or a bad thing, it is a fact. (Just like PJ's scenes and visual world did with LotR for a lot of people.)
    Later when the comics started, the artists already worked by his visuals, so after a couple decades, and with the movies too, Conan is now Arnold. (Hive said that too, a couple years ago https://youtu.be/3pBc51WqhCY?t=28s  )
    So much so, that Momoa was criticised as too skinny for the role of Conan :lol:

That's true, but it didn't have anything to do with morals or equality.  It was simply what the person making the film thought would be entertaining and IMO he was right.  I loved Arnold's movies in the 80s.  Despite what people say appearance counts for a lot.  Especially when you're going for intimidation.  James Earl Jones size and deep voice give him an air of power that most people can achieve regardless of how smart they may be.
    edited April 2017
    Flyte27 said:
    That's true, but it didn't have anything to do with morals or equality.  It was simply what the person making the film thought would be entertaining and IMO he was right.  I loved Arnold's movies in the 80s.
    Oh, was not my intention to jump into the morals-brawl, just wanted to :+1:  Distopia's post about Frazetta.
    Actually the point was, that the movies weren't simply "the person thought that's entertaining", I guess it wasn't even a question, since by the '80s when you said Conan everyone thought right away a huge dude with truckloads of muscles.
    And yep, Arnold was a good pick for the role, even with the accent and the missing acting skills, because he was exactly like the Conan picture in everyone's mind.

(edit: heck, I too grew up on those, so even today when I'm re-reading the books, sometimes I mixed the two and have some puzzled breaks like
    "how on earth would Arnold climb that... oh wait, this Conan is not like that, this is the Howard version" :awesome: )
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Get a helmet on.  Blows to the head can take you out of commission way too fast.  Even football players (our modern gladiators) who try to wear as little padding as possible for maximum mobility always wear a helmet.

Po_gg said:

Flyte27 said:
    That's true, but it didn't have anything to do with morals or equality.  It was simply what the person making the film thought would be entertaining and IMO he was right.  I loved Arnold's movies in the 80s.

Oh, was not my intention to jump into the morals-brawl, just wanted to :+1:  Distopia's post about Frazetta.
    Actually the point was, that the movies weren't simply "the person thought that's entertaining", I guess it wasn't even a question, since by the '80s when you said Conan everyone thought right away a huge dude with truckloads of muscles.
    And yep, Arnold was a good pick for the role, even with the accent and the missing acting skills, because he was exactly like the Conan picture in everyone's mind.

(edit: heck, I too grew up on those, so even today when I'm re-reading the books, sometimes I mixed the two and have some puzzled breaks like
    "how on earth would Arnold climb that... oh wait, this Conan is not like that, this is the Howard version" :awesome: )

I wouldn't say he had no acting skills hehe.  I watched a documentary recently about when he was competing for MR. Universe.  He was always a very charismatic guy.  I think the accent was part of it as it made people relax a bit and not take him quite as seriously.  For instance, he didn't speak much in the Terminator and he was quite intimidating.

I haven't read the books enough to judge them.  I starting reading them once, but for some reason never completed my session.  I was once a big fantasy reader, but I was more into things like the Chronicles, the Icewind Dale Trilogy, or anything to do with Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and anything connected to those settings. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Quizzical said:

Get a helmet on.  Blows to the head can take you out of commission way too fast.  Even football players (our modern gladiators) who try to wear as little padding as possible for maximum mobility always wear a helmet.

The problem with a helmet is that it limits your field of vision and dampens all sounds around you (not too mention that it is bulky) so a helmet is not recommended for certain fighting styles. And it is a huge difference between wearing a 12 century helmet and an M1 helmet.

If you are a D&D thief you are more worried about getting caught and killed while a football player worries that repeatedly getting traumas to the head leads to bad things. Lowering your perception increases your chances to die more then the protection the helmet offers.

Helmets are generally great for knights, soldiers and similar but back when MMOs didn't have the "hide helmet" tag more then a few players actually skipped wearing it anyways even if it made them weaker and the majority wants the feature.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Loke666 said:

Quizzical said:

The problem with a helmet is that it limits your field of vision and dampens all sounds around you (not too mention that it is bulky) so a helmet is not recommended for certain fighting styles. And it is a huge difference between wearing a 12 century helmet and an M1 helmet.

If you are a D&D thief you are more worried about getting caught and killed while a football player worries that repeatedly getting traumas to the head leads to bad things. Lowering your perception increases your chances to die more then the protection the helmet offers.

Helmets are generally great for knights, soldiers and similar but back when MMOs didn't have the "hide helmet" tag more then a few players actually skipped wearing it anyways even if it made them weaker and the majority wants the feature.

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't think there should be a hide helmet features. Either wear it or don't.

I do think that maybe there could be a trade off such as (as you mention) having more protection or greater awareness (and maybe some stat buff or some such thing for that awareness.

But yeah, I'm in the minority there.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2017
    Sovrath said:
    I know I'm in the minority here but I don't think there should be a hide helmet features. Either wear it or don't.

I do think that maybe there could be a trade off such as (as you mention) having more protection or greater awareness (and maybe some stat buff or some such thing for that awareness.

And then came TOR with the trade off of giving only fugly, (darth) hideus helmets, then drop the hide helmet option behind the paywall :lol:
    (btw. speaking of Conan, AoC was maybe one of the last surrenders to the cosmetic panel feature, for several years it worked the way you said: what you wear is displayed on you, and if it's ugly, then you either remove it and losing the stats, or wear it no matter how silly you look in it.)
    Flyte27 said:
    I wouldn't say he had no acting skills hehe. 

I ment literally, at start he had no skills *. Sure, later he learned quite a lot. But with the Barbarian he only had his experience from the competitions / stages, so he was no camera-shy. Plus he definitely looked the part. But that's pretty much it. If you compare the first few movies to the ones in the (late) '90s, there's a pretty wide gap in acting :wink:

*edit: just for the record, it's not a negative, happens a lot when someone starts a career in the movies as an outsider. Weissmüller was a great Tarzan for example, and he was no actor at the beginning either.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Po_gg said:

Sovrath said:

And then came TOR with the trade off of giving only fugly, (darth) hideus helmets, then drop the hide helmet option behind the paywall :lol:
    (btw. speaking of Conan, AoC was maybe one of the last surrenders to the cosmetic panel feature, for several years it worked the way you said: what you wear is displayed on you, and if it's ugly, then you either remove it and losing the stats, or wear it no matter how silly you look in it.)

Yeah, it's a shame that there are some atrocious bits of gear out there. I sometimes wonder if the people who actually design these things are really artists or really understand the genre they are designing for.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

I don't think it's any different now then it was years ago.

I guess it depends on the game, but I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting IMO.  A good example would Mass Effect Andromeda.  Another I've been playing through is Gears of War 4.  I believe the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) has a fairly heavily clothed Laura Croft.  Ciri from the Witcher 3 is shown to be like a male swashbuckler in many ways.  I'm sure I could come up with many more examples.  Jessica Jones from the Netflix series is like this as well.

Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, and Horizon are great examples of games where the female cast is done right. The main female characters in those games are all extremely compelling, and some of the best and most memorable characters of any game I've played. Thankfully no sense of the PC/SJW blight that has started to creep into Bioware games there.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I consider myself a feminist and I still prefer bikini armor. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I am a female player and I don't mind bikini armour either. I mean I don't pick it if there is a choice but I am not offended either.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

YashaX said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

I guess it depends on the game, but I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting IMO.  A good example would Mass Effect Andromeda.  Another I've been playing through is Gears of War 4.  I believe the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) has a fairly heavily clothed Laura Croft.  Ciri from the Witcher 3 is shown to be like a male swashbuckler in many ways.  I'm sure I could come up with many more examples.  Jessica Jones from the Netflix series is like this as well.

Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, and Horizon are great examples of games where the female cast is done right. The main female characters in those games are all extremely compelling, and some of the best and most memorable characters of any game I've played. Thankfully no sense of the PC/SJW blight that has started to creep into Bioware games there.

I am not a huge fan though I'm sure some people are.  For instance, I don't find Ceri like Geralt.  I also find her dialogue to be quite boring in most cases.  It usually consists of a large amount of empathy towards others.  The form they gave her is too feminine for a Witcher IMO.  So are her mannerisms.   She has a really timid and high pitched voice.  She seems like she is constantly worrying about the approval of others.  She also doesn't inherit Geralt's flaws like sleeping around with multiple people.  She just isn't like her adopted father or a Witcher.  I think the portrayal of her as a child is a bit more realistic.  She is a bit heftier and less feminine.  

I generally prefer sexy women in games, but if you are going to portray a woman in a role like that then make her actually be strong and have a mean streak like Geralt.  Have her be someone who exudes power and has a deep, vibrant voice.

I feel the same way about the new Laura Croft.  She is a very feminine female model with a very high voice.  She has little grunts and squeaks constantly that sound like she is having sex instead of fighting and jumping.  The way she moves is very feminine.  I just don't see her as a strong warrior woman.  She is also another character that has no real flaws.  Not the focus on real as any flaws she has aren't really a big issue.  

I haven't played the horizon yet so I can't comment on that game.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

iixviiiix said:

Oi , come on , i want that female plate on male toon haha . Male also need to be sexy .

Like this?

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited April 2017

Flyte27 said:

YashaX said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

I am not a huge fan though I'm sure some people are.  For instance, I don't find Ceri like Geralt.  I also find her dialogue to be quite boring in most cases.  It usually consists of a large amount of empathy towards others.  The form they gave her is too feminine for a Witcher IMO.  So are her mannerisms.   She has a really timid and high pitched voice.  She seems like she is constantly worrying about the approval of others.  She also doesn't inherit Geralt's flaws like sleeping around with multiple people.  She just isn't like her adopted father or a Witcher.  I think the portrayal of her as a child is a bit more realistic.  She is a bit heftier and less feminine.  

I generally prefer sexy women in games, but if you are going to portray a woman in a role like that then make her actually be strong and have a mean streak like Geralt.  Have her be someone who exudes power and has a deep, vibrant voice.

I feel the same way about the new Laura Croft.  She is a very feminine female model with a very high voice.  She has little grunts and squeaks constantly that sound like she is having sex instead of fighting and jumping.  The way she moves is very feminine.  I just don't see her as a strong warrior woman.  She is also another character that has no real flaws.  Not the focus on real as any flaws she has aren't really a big issue.  

Its weird how you seem to contradict yourself:  you originally said "I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting";  And yet now you say those characters are too feminine and don't act enough like a male? Weird.

Btw, Geralt sleeping around with multiple people is hardly a flaw.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    edited April 2017
    T&A sells and the video game developers who are slaves to marketing make games around it...maybe that's why a vast majority of many games are played mostly guys.  I wonder what the ratio is in a game like Elder Scrolls Online when the armor looks mostly like this.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Teala said:

T&A sells and the video game developers who are slaves to marketing make games around it...maybe that's why a vast majority of many games are played mostly guys.  I wonder what the ratio is in a game like Elder Scrolls Online when the armor looks mostly like this.

Hmm, hard to say. EQ2 had a rather large female population and sensible armors but so does Wow and it have more then a few that are doubtful at best.

I don't think the impact is really huge unless you have to wear the silly pin ups ones, it is one thing too have a few in the game and a very different to only have it like TERA. I at least guess that impact things negatively, at least in the west. I have no clue how the eastern ladies see things, animes focusing on female viewers still often have skimpy outfits but if that is because the people that produces them are guys or if they like those things are beyond me. Not really huge does not mean none at all though.

But yeah, MMOs need more female gamers, we need more gamers period and I don't think sex sells as well as the market guys seems to think, gaining a few male players while losing more female is not smart. And I doubt that sexy armors makes many guys keep playing a game, it might make us notice it possible but it is the gameplay that keeps people. But I do think sexist things could turn away female gamers that otherwise would have stayed. Forcing someone to wear a chainmail bikini is not a good idea.
    LotRO has a very nice share of female players, and while I'm sure it is not just because of the outfits, that has some part in it I'm certain (fashion scene is massive, and the majority of the LotRO outfitting and fashionista sites are run by the ladies).

Obviously the lore is setting boundaries, so you won't find bikini-mails or thongs there :wink:  (I guess the most "skimpy" pieces are the different dresses, Ceremonial, or the Elf-queen one for example https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/File:Elf-queen's_Dress-front.jpg )
    The armour pieces are usually have the same design for both gender, with some adjustments on the chest area for obvious reasons, but even that is in alignment with the design and style of the given gear piece.
    Starry Mantle had a nice category / series of His and Hers outfit ideas back then, for example  https://starrymantle.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/southern-ruffian/

YashaX said:

Flyte27 said:

YashaX said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Its weird how you seem to contradict yourself:  you originally said "I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting";  And yet now you say those characters are too feminine and don't act enough like a male? Weird.

Btw, Geralt sleeping around with multiple people is hardly a flaw.

What I mean to say is this is what is being sold as strong female characters in games, but as I said I don't think they are strong female characters.  That is just my opinion.

In terms of sleeping with multiple people being acceptable in this day and age, I have to disagree.  You don't see characters like James Bond anymore.  Geralt is very much like a James Bond type.  It is very frowned upon in modern societies to sleep with anyone except for your boyfriend or girlfriend.  This is basically what you see and the message that is being sent by most entertainment out there.  Personally, I have no qualms for this, but I think most people regard it as a character flaw and that a man should be faithful to one girl.  Either way it's not something Ciri has inherited from time spent with Geralt.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited April 2017
     "She is a very feminine female model with a very high voice.  She has little grunts and squeaks constantly that sound like she is having sex instead of fighting and jumping.  The way she moves is very feminine.  I just don't see her as a strong warrior woman. "

Among other quotes.

So a strong female character is one that is not feminine.  Alrighty then.

So they are only strong if they exhibit male characteristics.

Careful you are showing your chauvinism there.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

"She is a very feminine female model with a very high voice.  She has little grunts and squeaks constantly that sound like she is having sex instead of fighting and jumping.  The way she moves is very feminine.  I just don't see her as a strong warrior woman. "

Among other quotes.

So a strong female character is one that is not feminine.  Alrighty then.

So they are only strong if they exhibit male characteristics.

Careful you are showing your chauvinism there.

I believe if you don't have a certain amount of masculinity you will be pushed around in environments such as this where it's survival of the fittest.  Especially if you show compassion or insecurity.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited April 2017
    And in most places and situations skill trumps brute Force.

Insecurity I will agree with. Compassion is usually not a weakness. That builds allies which build strengths.

Feminine is not synonymous with insecurity and if you think so then again your chauvinism is showing.

Your equating masculine with strong and feminism with weak which is a huge bias and only true with primarily upper body strength and about 20% endurance (due to increased blood volume in men) in the most elite trained people. For most people and most situations skill trumps all.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

And in most places and situations skill trumps brute Force.

Insecurity I will agree with. Compassion is usually not a weakness. That builds allies which build strengths.

Feminine is not synonymous with insecurity and if you think so then again your chauvinism is showing.

I believe you are just going by modern society which has a lot of technology and there are many laws that protect the weak in general.  That hasn't been the case for most of history and it may not always be the case in the future.

I am a male who grew up in a society that didn't protect the weak and I got pushed around a fair amount myself.  I know what it's like to be on both sides.  Most women are not strong enough to fight for themselves.  Even if they have been trained to fight.  

Showing compassion is a sign of weakness in a society with limited or no law.  The strong will see it as a weakness to exploit.

A woman like Ciri will easily be pushed around if there is no one to protect them or some type of moral code to hold them back.  She is both timid and compassionate.  She is also not very strong physically.  She may be powerful from a fantasy (magic) perspective, but she doesn't really command any respect in terms of intimidation based on appearance.

Skill will not overcome a larger person or group of persons in most cases when fighting in hand to hand combat or even with melee weapons.