Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Female armor in mmorpgs!

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    This PC world is boring.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2017

cheyane said:

MaxBacon said:

Female armor on star citizen: http://imgur.com/a/RDHYp
    Pretty straight forward, without the typical sexualization of the female character.

More MMO's should approach the clothing/armor segregation, it gives it some logic.

I don't mind this or even a little skin showing I don't sweat this stuff. I do like my avatar to look cool but I don't patronize any cash shop to get a look or wait and try to camp for some look either. Shabby dresser I guess but I make do with what I have from the drops I get. 

My husband however goes for the most sexy look with least clothes every single time he plays. He even uses the shop in games like SWTOR or camps the AH or uses his sub rewards to buy them. His City of Heroes character had practically no clothes and that bikini would have gone too if allowed.

Considering he was playing a male avatar, this look was really disturbing........

or perhaps he was playing a female avatar?  Disturbing in a different sort of way.  :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2017
    I swear I was looking through this one and I thought I saw a FFXIV avatar that looked like Bayoneeta somewhat...

Also it really gets me how Society and men wear Topless in Video Games, but Women or Female avatars don't because of you know, how its rather shamed on or just something society has grown to frown on not sure how to word it to not sound like a Troll...

But in General Men go around Topless, and Women don't, like not only does this apply to Video Games, but Real Life, I am not saying that everyone actually does this but something that gets me too with School Dress Codes too even when clothed.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It's too skimpy, except when it isn't but we won't talk about that..
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Most women I talk to like their characters to look pretty, and often spend a lot of time customizing their face and outfit to be as visually appealing as possible. Even in games that offer choice between sexy and fully covered, sexy is almost always more popular.

And I'm not sure what games people are playing that don't offer a choice. I see GW2 and TERA mentioned every time this garbage is brought up but both offer options for sexy and modest.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I was reading that the over sexualization of females in scifi started with scifi graphic novels when companies discovered that covers with half dressed big boobed women on them sold more copies.  This carried over to movies and other scifi themes. 
    Name of Collectible 1951 The Day the Earth Stood Still Poster

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017
    In a genre where a majority of guys who play as females, do so for the sole reason of having an appealing backside to look at, what do you expect?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Distopia said:

In a genre where a majority of guys who play as females, do so for the sole reason of having an appealing backside to look at, what do you expect?

And the women I know who MMO look at their avatar as a way to play dress up. You want woman gamers you need to give them attractive options. Also the woman I know don't like to look like a slut. IMO I think its more important to ask women what they want from their female avatars then worry what men want. There is more business to earn there. But what do I know lol
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I don't really care if unarmored spellcasting classes have very skimpy clothes. It's the "heavy armor" bikinis that provide the same protection stats as the male full plate counterpart that are freaking ridiculous.

Just be aware that if you're OK with that, you're giving up the right to complain about anything else in the game that is unrealistic and be taken seriously.

It's funny how its often the same people who are fine with this that will go on at great length about how a game sucks because the sword swing animations look fake or not weighty enough. If you want realism in one part of the game you should be looking for it in all parts of it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited April 2017
    Yet real, actual women dress exactly the same on Halloween and for cosplay. Customizing to the female form however is rather required. Shape and function is different between the genders. Only recently in some sports has equipment specifically been designed for women in mind. Hell, even medicine tested mostly on men and, OOPS, later discovered women can react completely differently to it if not custom engineered.

It isn't male driven when women choose to do it. Men do it too when they have the body to pull it off. People just need to get over their shame of the human form.

Cultures 2000 years ago were more comfortable with the human body than those of today. 

You stay sassy!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Nanfoodle said:

Distopia said:

And the women I know who MMO look at their avatar as a way to play dress up. You want woman gamers you need to give them attractive options. Also the woman I know don't like to look like a slut. IMO I think its more important to ask women what they want from their female avatars then worry what men want. There is more business to earn there. But what do I know lol

I don't disagree, my wife seems to have the same tendencies, she spent almost an hour fine tuning her toon in ME:A making sure it looked "pretty".. She also bemoans slutty outfits wanting something to fit the part she's actually trying to play (she loves TOR's clothing options which does a good job in variety, especially when it comes to orange gear).

That said the demographic I was referring to seems quite huge, which it's them IMO, that seemingly opt more for the slutty looks. I doubt companies will stop vying for that market, no matter what actual women want sadly. I'd like to see those gamers dry up in this genre, to make way for others as they're also the less likely to RP from my experience, and typically fall into the toxic spectrum of players. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Distopia said:

Nanfoodle said:

Distopia said:

I don't disagree, my wife seems to have the same tendencies, she spent almost an hour fine tuning her toon in ME:A making sure it looked "pretty".. She also bemoans slutty outfits wanting something to fit the part she's actually trying to play (she loves TOR's clothing options which does a good job in variety, especially when it comes to orange gear).

That said the demographic I was referring to seems quite huge, which it's them IMO, that seemingly opt more for the slutty looks. I doubt companies will stop vying for that market, no matter what actual women want sadly. I'd like to see those gamers dry up in this genre, to make way for others as they're also the less likely to RP from my experience, and typically fall into the toxic spectrum of players. 

Ya when my wife and I make new characters, she can spend up to an hour or more in the creator. :) 
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited April 2017
    Presumably, at some level of realism, female armor would be custom made in some medieval setting, for rich people. Other women, would probably have to use male armor I would think, unless, maybe the armorer/smith is female, which for some bizarre reason might make female armor in their spare time.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Kyleran said:

cheyane said:

MaxBacon said:

Female armor on star citizen: http://imgur.com/a/RDHYp
    Pretty straight forward, without the typical sexualization of the female character.

More MMO's should approach the clothing/armor segregation, it gives it some logic.

I don't mind this or even a little skin showing I don't sweat this stuff. I do like my avatar to look cool but I don't patronize any cash shop to get a look or wait and try to camp for some look either. Shabby dresser I guess but I make do with what I have from the drops I get. 

My husband however goes for the most sexy look with least clothes every single time he plays. He even uses the shop in games like SWTOR or camps the AH or uses his sub rewards to buy them. His City of Heroes character had practically no clothes and that bikini would have gone too if allowed.

Considering he was playing a male avatar, this look was really disturbing........

or perhaps he was playing a female avatar?  Disturbing in a different sort of way.  :)

Risultati immagini per rofl avatar

He only plays females in games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most women I talk to like their characters to look pretty, and often spend a lot of time customizing their face and outfit to be as visually appealing as possible. Even in games that offer choice between sexy and fully covered, sexy is almost always more popular.

And I'm not sure what games people are playing that don't offer a choice. I see GW2 and TERA mentioned every time this garbage is brought up but both offer options for sexy and modest.

GW2s armor look fine but the TERA one does not actually look useful. It does not show skin but it is clearly made only to look good without offering any actual protection.

GW2 is not a problem, you can pick a sensible armor that really works.

TERA have nothing sensible, while you can pick between somewhat and very sexy all of them look like cosplayers instead of someone in an actual armor.

It is not a question about sexy and modest, more like sexy and useful. Sexy armors are generally useless in an actual battle and sometimes actually worse then wearing no armor at all. Useful armor offers some actual protection in places you need to protect and should increase your chances to survive a battle.

Games that offer sexy armors should have a useful armor as an alternative and it is fine, then you pick your style. I wont say that TERAs armors offend me or anything but they are silly and no sensible alternatives mean you loose female gamers. Then again, TERA seems to be mainly aiming for male gamers anyways.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I like skimpy female armor and attractive females myself, but I don't generally play as them.  I'd be fine if they were just NPCs or there was an option on what to wear.  I don't think realism should matter here as there weren't many women fighting during the time periods represented in these games due to sheer physical strength being what mattered the most in combat.  Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Flyte27 said:

Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

I don't think it's any different now then it was years ago.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Of course, I'm just one person and I'm sure the majority will want women with normal armor in this day and age of PC.

I guess it depends on the game, but I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting IMO.  A good example would Mass Effect Andromeda.  Another I've been playing through is Gears of War 4.  I believe the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) has a fairly heavily clothed Laura Croft.  Ciri from the Witcher 3 is shown to be like a male swashbuckler in many ways.  I'm sure I could come up with many more examples.  Jessica Jones from the Netflix series is like this as well.
    edited April 2017

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

I guess it depends on the game, but I see a lot more games with strong females who have fairly average figures and wear the outfits that males would have predominately wore.  They also take on the persona's of the male characters but usually aren't as interesting IMO.  A good example would Mass Effect Andromeda.  Another I've been playing through is Gears of War 4.  I believe the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) has a fairly heavily clothed Laura Croft.  Ciri from the Witcher 3 is shown to be like a male swashbuckler in many ways.  I'm sure I could come up with many more examples.  Jessica Jones from the Netflix series is like this as well.

Just because older content showed "skimpier" clothing doesn't mean that there weren't people who wanted "normal" clothing.

Look, I'm all for the saucier pulp fiction covers or for the old pinup posters but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a whole segment of people, possibly a good many women (?), who wanted more representation based on their preferences.

I mean, who was making these decisions? Well, most likely men. And a very specific segment of men.

And while, on the one hand it's very fun in a healthy "let's get get in touch with our adolescent selves" way, to have skimpy, sexy representations of people, that still doesn't mitigate the idea that one person's idea of how women and men should be represented doesn't speak for everyone.

How "covered" a person should be has always ebbed and flowed over time. "PC" is just the newest popular brand name. Give it a few years and things will swing back. And then they will swing back again.

In the meantime women in "regular" clothing represents a segment of the population and why shouldn't they be represented?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

So which PC conspiracy exactly was it that led to Wonder Woman in 1941? 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited April 2017
    To be fair there have been more than a few guys in skimpy armor as well. Look at He-man, beast master and Conan.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Iselin said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

So which PC conspiracy exactly was it that led to Wonder Woman in 1941? 

To me, the original Wonder Woman was just another sex symbol.  That is probably not the case with the new version.  Regardless the 1940s and 50s were much more sexist than the time period I grew up in which was the 80s and 90s.  Women were already fighting to try and make entertainment more dull in the 90s and succeeded in the 2000s.

To be fair there have been more than a few guys in skimpy armor as well. Look at He-man and beast master.

As well as Conan, Kull, Tarzan, John Carter and don't forget the Gor series.

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Sovrath said:

Flyte27 said:

Just because older content showed "skimpier" clothing doesn't mean that there weren't people who wanted "normal" clothing.

Look, I'm all for the saucier pulp fiction covers or for the old pinup posters but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a whole segment of people, possibly a good many women (?), who wanted more representation based on their preferences.

I mean, who was making these decisions? Well, most likely men. And a very specific segment of men.

And while, on the one hand it's very fun in a healthy "let's get get in touch with our adolescent selves" way, to have skimpy, sexy representations of people, that still doesn't mitigate the idea that one person's idea of how women and men should be represented doesn't speak for everyone.

How "covered" a person should be has always ebbed and flowed over time. "PC" is just the newest popular brand name. Give it a few years and things will swing back. And then they will swing back again.

In the meantime women in "regular" clothing represents a segment of the population and why shouldn't they be represented?

This may be true, but from my perspective, I preferred entertainment the way it was.  There are too many morally sound people in entertainment in this day and age.  People who are screwed up and shown in a light other than villain are non-existant.

Sovrath said:

To be fair there have been more than a few guys in skimpy armor as well. Look at He-man and beast master.

As well as Conan, Kull, Tarzan, John Carter and don't forget the Gor series.

As I recall, Conan properties actually sued Mattel over He-man.

It must be a world full of new wonders out there if you simply turn a blind eye to history :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED