Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I visit this site less and less these days

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
It's not about the site being bad or anything I read the news from time to time, but the forums are the same ol same ol, It's the same people saying this and then It's the same people counter argument on the topic, been going on for years, so boring reading the forums these days.

I guess everything has already been talked about so its the battle of the words that matters.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Maurgrim said:

It's not about the site being bad or anything I read the news from time to time, but the forums are the same ol same ol, It's the same people saying this and then It's the same people counter argument on the topic, been going on for years, so boring reading the forums these days.

I guess everything has already been talked about so its the battle of the words that matters.

Thanks for letting us all know.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    What can you do? Some people come here to talk about games. Others come here just to bash them. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Albatroes said:

Maurgrim said:

Thanks for letting us all know.

I dont agree , i Dont see he has done anything deserving of thx ... .. I think we should have a Poll to discuss this properly
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    It reflects state of MMORPG genre/industry.

Same diminishing audience that is angry about same old long-standing problems that keep staying unresolved.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Hot damn!
    -Chuckles
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    I remember the golden mmorpg days when all shit was textbased, not these nowadays phancypansy graphical stuff!!!!

Yupp, must be this thats wrong with the genre! Back to the days of text!!! :)

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

Maurgrim said:

been on this website longer than most i know since 2004,  yup seems the same as it should. people voicing their opinions and giving advice... almost like real life :)

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Can I haz your Stuffz?

(Couldn't help myself, had to log on just to say that. And got an ancient member award for doing so.)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If this were a website about politics or history or science, there are probably a million things that could be discussed. But this is about video games. Until recently, about a particular kind of video game. It only gets so deep, and there is always going to be a lot of repetition.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    thats probably why they made a new site with a much broader base of topic where I suspect THEY spent a lot of their time too :)
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

Nanfoodle said:

What can you do? Some people come here to talk about games. Others come here just to bash them. 

Pantheon sucks.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited April 2017
    Because now you go to http://www.gamespace.com instead?
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I'm losing faith in the site. It's not that I mind talking about games which aren't MMO's. It's the contant corruption of the term MMO and it's application to games which have no right to be called MMO's. And that's not just forum posters, the site staff are the worst offenders.

I play a lot of non-MMO's myself, I just wish everyone would stop calling them MMO's when they aren't.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I'm losing faith in the site. It's not that I mind talking about games which aren't MMO's. It's the contant corruption of the term MMO and it's application to games which have no right to be called MMO's. And that's not just forum posters, the site staff are the worst offenders.

I play a lot of non-MMO's myself, I just wish everyone would stop calling them MMO's when they aren't.

They are just following the trend in all the people that are playing the games.

Can not say they are setting the trend:P

People seem to think these sites should not ever change...well hate to break the bad news...but things that refuse to, or can not change, simply disappear, as in go out of business.

Just look back at the last few years...these sites are slowly going the way of the dinosaurs.  Change or go away, that is pretty much the way it is. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I think people forget that it's in this site's interest to expand that meaning as much as they can, regardless of anyone's personal feelings. They've gotta get those clicks, if creating an argument over semantics works it works... The only real alternative is to wither and die with the rest of the genre as it stands today. A few indie projects isn't enough to warrant a whole site of coverage, might as well just make a geocities page for that. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GoldiusGoldius Member UncommonPosts: 42
    The genre is getting tired I have certainly taken a lesser interest these days. Hoping by taking a break I'll be mentally refreshed enough to play an MMO again.

Cheers
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Part of the problem is that games announce and hype themselves way way too early.  Then add in crowd funding and you have a recipe for years of boredom.  Go check out the Star Citizen forum, same people posting there since 2012/2013 and posting the same argument over and over again...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited April 2017
    There are people on this site that have become friends over time simply because I read what they write almost everyday. I enjoy coming here I have not found any forums where there are people I like and enjoy reading posts by them.  Of course you will find some people quarrelling over the same things that is a given.

When I first started playing Everquest there was the Vault boards and that was where I went daily. Those boards were like a pub you went to without drinks just for the conversation and laughs and these boards took their place.

Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Maurgrim said:

I visit this site less and less these days

The site has been getting better these days.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This site covers every mmo that there is to cover. 

It is not this sites job to find you something to play. 
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Maurgrim said:

Its not the site. The MMO gene is failing. Its dead

We used to come here cause new MMOs were release , worked on - at least 2 AA MMOs a year.

Now all we have is some Asian rehashed crap they call MMO , and some Indie MMOs that will be released MAYBE in 2-3 years.

Whats there to talk about ?

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

Amathe said:

If this were a website about politics or history or science, there are probably a million things that could be discussed. But this is about video games. Until recently, about a particular kind of video game. It only gets so deep, and there is always going to be a lot of repetition.  

Kinda like mmos in them selves
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I come here to entertain @Gdemami, he lols at almost everything I say. 

I am also @Kyleran's groupie. Not sure how much longer he is going to be with us though, must start looking around or otherwise I'd end up with @DMKano or something. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I come here to entertain @Gdemami, he lols at almost everything I say. 

I am also @Kyleran's groupie. Not sure how much longer he is going to be with us though, must start looking around or otherwise I'd end up with @DMKano or something. 

Hey, I'm not dead yet!  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Nothing to do with this site. Everything to do with the march of technology. Sites like mmorpg.com brought havoc and destruction to the circulation of gaming magazines. Now the wheel turns and the ease with which we can search coupled with the likes of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter is grinding them down. Finding information on a game is easy. So visitor numbers fall meaning = less revenue = less staff = less articles = less visitors. Rinse, repeat.