Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Signs you should stay away from a player in MMOs?

2»

Comments

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

It's stuff like this that tip me off to people not being a actual friend in real life. Sometimes you just have to let 'em go because they're more trouble than they're worth.

I don't know how games are working nowadays but City of Heroes let you assign "personal" player ratings to global names so you could always find "the turds" and avoid them. It's a great feature that all open world MMOs should have.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Wow! You have a lot of free time .. :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    edited April 2017

I tend to run away from anyone named....

xXHighfunctioningSociopathXx, Nynjal00tr, DrunkTank, WutRHeals, and InfiniteTroll

I love
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Question2 said:

Signs you should stay away from a player in MMOs?

generally speaking if they are approaching me or talking to me in anyway at all.

that is my general rule

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The biggest problem with having so many rules about making friends, is that you tend not to. :o
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think the "constantly blames his incompetence on others is the worst type.

Someone that isn't good and know it is fine, I can help him/her improving, but the blaming other type who sucks and don't know or admit it, people like that wont improve and they wont stop with the accusing whining on other players that actually does what they are supposed to.

Kicked and on "ignore".

Same goes for anyone generally unpleasant (you know, racial slurs, calling the healer useless because the player is female, insulting to the others and similar stuff.

MMO beggars for instance is slightly annoying (not the RP types trying to score a silver for a drink but the ones who wants gold and good gear) but I don't bother putting them on ignore unless they spamm but I ignore all spammers.

Spammers are rather annoying but still nowhere near real jerks.

The people who just suddenly quit in the middle of a long dungeon without a message are truly annoying (but I can accept a whisper later about technical difficulties, that happens) and those I wont group with again. I would put them on ignore but for some reason do my list tend to get on the large side so I put worse offenders there.

Besides those groups there are a few minor offenders but they rarely bother me. I generally get along with most players but I expect people I group with to be civil to eachother or at least be silent an d emote a nod to show they understand the groups instructions for any harder stuff. People don't have to be polite or anything, just not rude or they can find someone else to group with.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Honestly if other players upset me enough to write a maifesto, I would just invest in a good single player game. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Phry said:

The biggest problem with having so many rules about making friends, is that you tend not to. :o

which isnt as bad as people think

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Question2 said:

Just the player who goes around trying to 'group' everyone because he has his own agenda of quests he can't complete solo and has to go when all of his are done.

What do you mean by trying to group everyone?

Notice (Insert player's name here), wants to group with you. Instead of asking in chat first.

^ that is called a 'ninja invite'. It happens quite often for parties and guilds. I personally consider it rude and will ignore them every time. At least PM/whisper me and ask before just spamming the invite button.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    edited April 2017
    if you group with someone you dont know and they use the term hun/babe alot..with the conception that they are female..you get along..then you realize the way the person is talking in chat in a full group is really a guy just by the mannerisms in the way they talk in chat..like they are bouncing back and forth..is it a guy or girl?should i be not talk in a perverted manner? should i be nice and respectful? ..its confusing like they are a transgender..or just playing the "part" just to get good gearz or loot drops..with ADD i cash out of  small grps alot early if i dont know the person ..trusting is not my strong suit , exceptionally in a pvp environment lol
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    When a player is advertising that they're looking for people to play with...with the stipulation that it be a girl with voice chat.

When the group pre-decides to greed everything and they need on the first valuable thing that drops.

If they have a shitty name. Like Sasugay.

If they say anything about Groot.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

if you group with someone you dont know and they use the term hun/babe alot..with the conception that they are female..you get along..then you realize the way the person is talking in chat in a full group is really a guy just by the mannerisms in the way they talk in chat..like they are bouncing back and forth..is it a guy or girl?should i be not talk in a perverted manner? should i be nice and respectful? ..its confusing like they are a transgender..or just playing the "part" just to get good gearz or loot drops..with ADD i cash out of  small grps alot early if i dont know the person ..trusting is not my strong suit , exceptionally in a pvp environment lol

How about always going for nice and respectable? It tends to work fine.

Flirting in a MMO is something you should stay clear of unless you gotten really good friends and learn to know the person first, if you want to flirt with random people I suggest going to a pub. Or at least go a pub in the game and RP being drunk and obnoxious. ;)

Some people do flirt for gear and gold, and yeah, they are guys with a female avatar.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I stay away from all the players who are infatuated with my Mom.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Any players with stupid names. If you can't give any thought to your name is a stay away from me sign.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Sephiroso said:

When a player is advertising that they're looking for people to play with...with the stipulation that it be a girl with voice chat.

When the group pre-decides to greed everything and they need on the first valuable thing that drops.

If they have a shitty name. Like Sasugay.

If they say anything about Groot.

Pffffft, Groot beats Swamp Thing any day of the week!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Spam invites, spam duel challenges if I'm not standing in a dueling area especially if the dude is higher leveled. I love duel auto-decline. 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    After a while it gets obvious which people you should play with and people you are better off avoiding. Nice and friendly people ends up on the friends list, loud and obnoxious players gets placed on the ignore list.

As for flirting, nothing wrong with going on skype or webcam with someone you know a bit...unless you are married or a politician.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

laserit said:

I stay away from all the players who are infatuated with my Mom.

Laserit's mom has it goin' on.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited April 2017

People continually making negative posts/comments.

Especially when it's known the game/guild/community is harmful or troublesome, yet the player keeps going back and wondering why it's happening.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    He is playing Eve Online.