Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Rise of Agon - How Agon Is Rising to the Challenge - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SlashedOutCutlassSlashedOutCutlass Member CommonPosts: 8
    @DAS1337 There are options now to activate upon clicking so your spell/attack/etc happens instantly. At least I am pretty sure, I like to pre-load like you say :P
  • darknagualdarknagual Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Anyone know of a game that offers what Darkfall offers but is far better?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What I don't understand is that all the things that killed the original Darkfall are still there.  It was never a fun game even with a good guild.  I think most of those that try it will be very disappointed.  When you get down to it, the design was flat out bad to start with and I have not seen anything from the new developers that changes that fact.

The reason it is cheap is because it is a very cheaply designed game.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I am ready!
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited April 2017

Scorchien said:

I got back into Darkfall in the beginning, 2009 I believe. It was a wild ride full of ups and downs but the actual games was awesome, the company that owned it was not. Fast forward to 2017 with BPG in charge, things have been just awesome! Beta was a blast and the nostalgia was at an all time high, so many memories rushed back and I felt like a dream had come true, I couldn't believe my favorite game had returned, and not just returned, it was better than ever before.

One by one BPG removed everything I hated from the old game and replaced it with something modern, fresh, and fun. The game evolved into what it always should have been. Each patch fine-tuned the game more and more and I can say emphatically that I am PUMPED for launch. I am sure this will be my ultimate moment in my 20 years of online gaming.

For those of you that haven't played Darkfall you might look at the graphics and misjudge the game. Sure, the graphics aren't amazing, but they're nice imo and the game looks great as you ride around, fight, and loot. And hey, it's not all about graphics, far from it, what matters most is gameplay, right? I've had my heart skip beats during pvp, my arms tense up, my hands shake, and I even panicked and got destroyed. The brutal defeats and thrilling victories really get into your system and keep you wanting more. That's why us oldschool fans are so excited, because *nothing* can replace Darkfall, and once you experience it you'll see that my statement is very true.

You really haven't pvped until you've played Darkfall, you just haven't. Whether you've played Wow arena, CS:GO at the highest level, or made Diamond in LoL, none of that can compare to Darkfall. Why? Because Darkfall is brutal on an extreme that you can't get from any of those games. Egos run high, defeats can crush a gamer, and victories can make you a god. You probably think I'm exaggerating because you likely just don't know how good pvp can actually feel.

Why is pvp so fun in Darkfall? Well, first of all the skill cap is VERY high. Second, there is no tab-targeting crap like in other mmos, this is pvp closer to a shooter but with advanced melee combat, healing, blinds, magic nukes, and lots more mixed in. It hurts to lose, man it hurts like nothing else. Sometimes you just get stomped and most people scramble for excuses, blaming their ping, their computer, someone's cheap weapon or race, or whatever, they can't handle it. When you win, man, it can be epic. I've won a 2v8 fight before and this is not a shooter where you just headshot people, 2v8 is very serious stuff. I've won 1v3 in a sub-optimal but explosive build, and I've gotten rocked more times than I can count. Many years later I can still remember those losses, but my pentas in LoL I can't recall, it all kinds of blends in because it just doesn't compare to Darkfall, nothing does.

And that's just the pvp, I love the pve too, I love gathering resources, opening chests, digging up treasure maps, crafting items with my name of them, there is just so much to do. I could go on forever but I'll leave it at this, as gamers we pass up on games all the time, just one screenshot we don't like, one race, one weapon, one whatever, it's easy to miss a gem and wind up playing some garbage game because you can't find something better. Don't let that be you, don't pass up on Darkfall, you will never find something like this again. See you at launch!

Wow , man almost sounds like a commercial , a PR dream , ... im almost convinced .. wait ... acct created 10 minutes ago .. with 1 post ........... seems suspicious ..

Okay this is a take from a veteran mmo player. As I have illiterated numerous times, DFO was the best skillful mmorpg with reprucussions in an mmo ive ever played. Were there problems with the game? Yes, both with the parent company(Aventurine) and the game itself(griefer, which i did alot, grinding,exploits, zerging,lack of build diversity and non pvp content). However the game still remains my 1 number mmorpg and perhaps video game of all time. Why? The whole thrill of it.

Many will be turned off by the graphics, full loot, non tab combat, or some things schedueled to be worked on post release still lacking, but those of you who like risk vs reward, territory control, an atmosphere that sucks you in; than take the ride that is Darkfall.
    Post edited by IsilithTehroth on

MurderHerd

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Anyone know of a game that offers what Darkfall offers but is far better?

This is such a niche genre already within a niche genre it is doubtful you will see anyone else touch it. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Dim-MokDim-Mok Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2017

Scorchien said:

... UO , AC , Shadowbane .. all 3 had skill caps and depreciating returns ... Agon without any skill caps will fail just as the other 2 versions did ... You just dont get it do you ....

Keeping an eye on Darkfall (Dawn) they are addressing this glaring problem with Darkfalls core features ..

No, no, and no.

Darkfall not having skillcaps did not ruin the game, how narrow minded can you be? Darkfall was poorly managed as a product with loads of potential. 

+1 for the laugh

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

Dim-Mok said:

Scorchien said:

... UO , AC , Shadowbane .. all 3 had skill caps and depreciating returns ... Agon without any skill caps will fail just as the other 2 versions did ... You just dont get it do you ....

Keeping an eye on Darkfall (Dawn) they are addressing this glaring problem with Darkfalls core features ..

No, no, and no.

Darkfall not having skillcaps did not ruin the game, how narrow minded can you be? Darkfall was poorly managed as a product with loads of potential. 

+1 for the laugh

I do think the game could benefit with a skillcap. No not one that limits you to 5 abilities like UW, but one like UO where you have like 800 combat skill points and 500 non combat skill points.

MurderHerd

• SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited April 2017

lol to whoever thinks a game fails with or without skill caps.

I would consider myself a pretty normal mmoprg player.

And skill caps has absolutely no reason whatsoever on why I did not play Darkfall.

It was a piece of dog doo for many many reasons; far too many for me to list.

name a couple, I bet they've been addressed ;)
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    How does this "unlimited" skill cap thing work in a pvp game?  

Doesn't that mean that the person who plays more is going to end up with a massive advantage over people with less time to play, and that new players will basically never be able to catch up?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    The answer to the question posed by the OP is that BPG isn't doing enough to rise to the challenge.

They're merely refining and polishing a game that still lacks a reason for most people to play it. Darkfall was meant to be a sandbox game in the spirit of UO that had reasons for many different types of people to play it, and play it in different ways. Rise of Agon, by and large, has not addressed that, but has simply made it a better version of Counterstrike with elves.

Darkfall New Dawn, in my opinion, is the last hope for Darkfall. If they're able to successfully make the game enjoyable for everyone, including smaller clans, solo crafters and people who just want to play casually, that will finally bring the Darkfall name some modicum of lasting success.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

Dullahan said:

The answer to the question posed by the OP is that BPG isn't doing enough to rise to the challenge.

They're merely refining and polishing a game that still lacks a reason for most people to play it. Darkfall was meant to be a sandbox game in the spirit of UO that had reasons for many different types of people to play it, and play it in different ways. Rise of Agon, by and large, has not addressed that, but has simply made it a better version of Counterstrike with elves.

Darkfall New Dawn, in my opinion, is the last hope for Darkfall. If they're able to successfully make the game enjoyable for everyone, including smaller clans, solo crafters and people who just want to play casually, that will finally bring the Darkfall name some modicum of lasting success.

Except that BPG has implemented far more than the ND guys in less time and show no signs of slowing down. The ND guys are good at writing up a story though I'll give them that and you fell for it hook line and sinker. Words are only words. When ND starts actually putting into the game the effort the BPG has shown with rise of agon then you can talk.

BPG claims to be putting in patches once per month after launch with fixes, updates and new content. If that doesn't happen then you can talk shit all you want. I haven't seen anything that indicates they wont. You claim they haven't added anything, you obviously haven't been following it. Nice try though.

Dullahan said:

Except that BPG has implemented far more than the ND guys in less time and show no signs of slowing down. The ND guys are good at writing up a story though I'll give them that and you fell for it hook line and sinker. Words are only words. When ND starts actually putting into the game the effort the BPG has shown with rise of agon then you can talk.

BPG claims to be putting in patches once per month after launch with fixes, updates and new content. If that doesn't happen then you can talk shit all you want. I haven't seen anything that indicates they wont. You claim they haven't added anything, you obviously haven't been following it. Nice try though.

You clearly haven't been following the New Dawn patch notes.

You're right though, New Dawn is talking a big talk, and the bulk of what they're boasting is not yet available. Naturally though, something as ambitious as what they've proposed will take longer. That said, the improvements ND has currently made still outrank those of RoA.

And of course, let's not forget about the massive blunder by RoA where they rushed to testing and compromised both projects by not properly configuring their build and exposing critical information to potential hackers.

At least in New Dawn's case they have a plan of how to battle poor population and grow the game by appealing to players outside of the "oldschool" "hardcore" crowd.

edited April 2017

Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

You're right though, New Dawn is talking a big talk, and the bulk of what they're boasting is not yet available. Naturally though, something as ambitious as what they've proposed will take longer. That said, the improvements ND has currently made still outrank those of RoA.

And of course, let's not forget about the massive blunder by RoA where they rushed to testing and compromised both projects by not properly configuring their build and exposing critical information to potential hackers.

At least in New Dawn's case they have a plan of how to battle poor population and grow the game by appealing to players outside of the "oldschool" "hardcore" crowd.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the difference in current changes. I play both and going onto DND after being on ROA is quite painful.

That stuff aside it's pretty clear BPG want's to expand beyond the "oldschool" "hardcore" crowd. It seems that since they haven't written out a bible all the ideas they have people assume they're don't have any. Understandable to a degree, but with the comments I read on their forums, the updates, the livestream they had I'm convinced they plan to expand exponentially.

Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the difference in current changes. I play both and going onto DND after being on ROA is quite painful.

That stuff aside it's pretty clear BPG want's to expand beyond the "oldschool" "hardcore" crowd. It seems that since they haven't written out a bible all the ideas they have people assume they're don't have any. Understandable to a degree, but with the comments I read on their forums, the updates, the livestream they had I'm convinced they plan to expand exponentially.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does RoA have that would make ND painful to play? It seems they've both made some pretty important improvements to the interface and basic functionalities, but New Dawn changes to weapons, switching, auto equipping, binding and the removal and tweaking of superfluous skills and passives, many of which RoA is only now making, would seem to make ND much easier to play. 

Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does RoA have that would make ND painful to play? It seems they've both made some pretty important improvements to the interface and basic functionalities, but New Dawn changes to weapons, switching, auto equipping, binding and the removal and tweaking of superfluous skills and passives, many of which RoA is only now making, would seem to make ND much easier to play. 

First off - "many of which RoA is only now making" - what? Now I really don't think you're paying attention.

For the answer, the only thing dnd has that could improve roa is equipping a weapon when you select the skill. Every other aspect is ages behind roa.

Hotbars in general - each slot can contain multiple items and there are multiple choices allowing you to either cycle them, select the first available, burst and I believe more but those are the ones I use

Multiple weapons per slot - Because of the hotbar changes you can place every weapon you use or plan to use in a single "slot" and in the order of preference so if you acquire a "better" weapon pressing the same button will equip it rather than the previous one without having to manually swap them in the bar.

Multiple abilities per slot - Again going off of the hotbar changes one can place multiple spells/skills/items into a single "hotkey" and choose to execute those in multiple different ways. 

Combinations of abilities from different skill sets - You can place all weapon type whirlwinds on one slot AND at the same time have a group of spells set to cycle. One button and depending on what you have equipped and what is off cooldown determines what gets used.

these changes free up so many keyboard keys and remove the old "Must use scripting to win" crap from DF1. Any of those changes above wanted in DND requires a script, and most people would.

Dropping items on the ground. Seems small to some, but the impact is pretty big. Here are a couple examples. After a PVE trip with friends you're splitting up the loot "here's your stuff, *name", drop it and forgo the trade window entirely. You're out exploring and find something valuable. You're being chased and you don't want to risk the loss so in the midst of it all you run through a patch of bushes or rocks and drop the item to come back for it later. Hopefully they didn't see you :). You're in a big fight, maybe a siege, and people are running out of regs. Rather than taking the time to open bank windows and/or trade windows you have one person dropping items in designated areas to feed the fight.

Harvesting times are actually tolerable in roa. I didn't think this change would affect me, but damn.

Then there are the more opinion based pieces like the style of the UI. RoA's looks a million times better and was only some art changes. I can't wait to see what will happen when they introduce user customization.

Travel. This world is huge and DND has removed recalls and will remove all forms of fast travel. I just can't see this.
    Local banking. While this hasn't been implemented yet I just can't see this being very beneficial for this particular style of game.

Darkfall was already a very niche game, PVP + Full Loot + Twitch Based Combat. Now DND want's to add more niche? So PVP + Full loot + twitch based combat + no fast travel in a huge world + local banking. I mean sure there are some people out there that these tick all the boxes, but you're taking a limited player base and reducing it even more.
    edited April 2017
    Aside from some of the multi-binding, those changes run contrary to the spirit of the game. There needs to be local economies for Darkfall to have microcosms throughout the world. Otherwise, a single clan can dominate every corner of the map. This is something we begged AV for back in the original beta, but they failed to implement. To have local economies, naturally there can't be fast travel. The game was designed so that each part of the world has unique people, economies and ruling clans, and fast travel only destroys that aspect.

Beyond that, the other changes BPG have made are nothing but shallow conveniences that will have a negative impact on the sandbox aspect of the game. One might say, they are failing to see the big picture. By making harvesting faster, you make it so everyone harvests and crafts their own stuff. That kills the economy and the aspect of the game that will appeal to players who want to engage in crafting, provisioning for a clan, or commerce.

BPG just doesn't get it, and if/when ND is up an running, there will be a mass exodus away from RoA.

• matsaucemmatsaucem Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Darkfall was always such a good game drowning in flaws like its UI, absent developers, afk macro and mechanics that encouraged you to not actively play the game. Glad BPG is at the reins now, I tried the alpha/early access and the changes were mind blowing. They managed to do more for the game in less than a year than the previous company did in 3 years.

Dullahan said:

Aside from some of the multi-binding, those changes run contrary to the spirit of the game. There needs to be local economies for Darkfall to have microcosms throughout the world. Otherwise, a single clan can dominate every corner of the map. This is something we begged AV for back in the original beta, but they failed to implement. To have local economies, naturally there can't be fast travel. The game was designed so that each part of the world has unique people, economies and ruling clans, and fast travel only destroys that aspect.

Beyond that, the other changes BPG have made are nothing but shallow conveniences that will have a negative impact on the sandbox aspect of the game. One might say, they are failing to see the big picture. By making harvesting faster, you make it so everyone harvests and crafts their own stuff. That kills the economy and the aspect of the game that will appeal to players who want to engage in crafting, provisioning for a clan, or commerce.

BPG just doesn't get it, and if/when ND is up an running, there will be a mass exodus away from RoA.

Aha, yeah I suspected this. Typical nd "fanboy" responses. I've been around since 2002 when DF was first announced and I can solidly say you are not in the majority when it comes to the changes needed. I'm not going to argue as it's pointless to try and have a civil conversation with someone who can't. I'll just say wait and see, my friend, wait and see ;)
    edited April 2017

Dullahan said:

Aha, yeah I suspected this. Typical nd "fanboy" responses. I've been around since 2002 when DF was first announced and I can solidly say you are not in the majority when it comes to the changes needed. I'm not going to argue as it's pointless to try and have a civil conversation with someone who can't. I'll just say wait and see, my friend, wait and see ;)

You're living in your hardcore echo chamber. Every new convenience that further removes Darkfall from a sandbox virtual world is heralded by your tiny subset of players. Yes, in fact local banks was the norm if you read any forums "back in 2002", and in fact it was something AV promised among many other things they did not (or more likely, could not) deliver on.

Go back and consult the original dev diaries of Claus on the wayback machine and prepare to have your mind blown just how far off Darkfall was from the original vision. Now, RoA is moving it even further into Counterstrike territory, and away from anything that could possibly make it fun for normal MMO players not interested in growing a neckbeard and sieging clans at 4am.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Is one of the 2 versions going to be more focused on crafting than the other?

Dullahan said:

Dullahan said:

You're living in your hardcore echo chamber. Every new convenience that further removes Darkfall from a sandbox virtual world is heralded by your tiny subset of players. Yes, in fact local banks was the norm if you read any forums "back in 2002", and in fact it was something AV promised among many other things they did not (or more likely, could not) deliver on.

Go back and consult the original dev diaries of Claus on the wayback machine and prepare to have your mind blown just how far off Darkfall was from the original vision. Now, RoA is moving it even further into Counterstrike territory, and away from anything that could possibly make it fun for normal MMO players not interested in growing a neckbeard and sieging clans at 4am.

Ugh.. 

Forgrimm said:

Is one of the 2 versions going to be more focused on crafting than the other?

BPG is working on crafting overhauls right now and post launch and from what I gather reading their forums will work in even bigger more advanced changes as time goes on.
  • KimoshuKimoshu Member UncommonPosts: 14

DAS1337 said:

What do you call it then, when you need to select a spell first before you cast it?  I call it pre-loading a spell.  I played the game.  I know how it works.  In games today, (unless it's a console port) you only need to press a hotkey associated with the spell(usually loaded into a hotbar), and the spell/ability fires immediately. 

Now, perhaps something changed, but the last time I played Darkfall, you had to load the spell with a button press, THEN use another button press to cast it.  That is inefficient.  As far as holding a spell and releasing it, that isn't what I was talking about.

We've implemented and will continue to refine an in game macro system allowing you to cast on key press and set up burst keys and cycle scripts without needing a program like auto hotkey. This allows you to switch hotbars depending what weapon you select and bind as many spells, skills, items and gear you want to a single slot. It's open ended in it's design and removes the need of the old game competitive users felt to use out of game scripts. It levels the playing field and gives tons of options for customising binds.

We're about to launch a revamped website which is split into a new and returning user to the Darkfall franchise. If you liked the idea of the original but "x" problem caused you to leave I highly recommend to check it out. Our team is almost entirely ex players so we know indepth the issues faced by users and the hidden potential of the game. The veteran section of the new website goes over all the changes that have happened in the last year since we've had our hands on the code. There was a ton of quality of life additions to bring the game up to modern standards for the UI and other tedium reducing changes. We've also addressed afk macroing, vet/newbie gap and fixed much of the alignment exploits people used to grief new players, among many other changes :).

-Andrew
    CEO
    Big Picture Games
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Kimoshu said:

We've implemented and will continue to refine an in game macro system allowing you to cast on key press and set up burst keys and cycle scripts without needing a program like auto hotkey. This allows you to switch hotbars depending what weapon you select and bind as many spells, skills, items and gear you want to a single slot. It's open ended in it's design and removes the need of the old game competitive users felt to use out of game scripts. It levels the playing field and gives tons of options for customising binds.

We're about to launch a revamped website which is split into a new and returning user to the Darkfall franchise. If you liked the idea of the original but "x" problem caused you to leave I highly recommend to check it out. Our team is almost entirely ex players so we know indepth the issues faced by users and the hidden potential of the game. The veteran section of the new website goes over all the changes that have happened in the last year since we've had our hands on the code. There was a ton of quality of life additions to bring the game up to modern standards for the UI and other tedium reducing changes. We've also addressed afk macroing, vet/newbie gap and fixed much of the alignment exploits people used to grief new players, among many other changes :).

-Andrew

CEO

Big Picture Games

That's great.  Now how about you post the accurate subscription price for the game post-launch on your store page?

https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/store/

Right now it says $4.95 per month but some in this thread insist it's actually $9.99 per month.  If you want to piss off potential new players, then by all means continue to leave out the fact that the cost of a subscription is double what you have posted your Store page currently, post-launch.  Because there's nothing that gets people more pissed then when they feel they've been mislead on how much money they're going to need to fork over to keep playing.

From the FAQ: https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/game-info/faq/general/

The monthly subscription for Darkfall: Rise of Agon will be $14.95 USD at launch. Discount packages will be available as well for reduced monthly subscriptions.