Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zelda BotW: Reason to get a Switch?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks,

I haven't had a console for years.  I'm intrigued, though, by the player and pro reviews of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild.  I've heard several people say that this is the "greatest RPG ever made."  I'm not sure if that's just early-play giddiness, but it still has be interested.

Anyway, is Zelda, along with other titles sure to come out eventually, reason enough to get a Switch?  How good do the Nintendo games tend to be?  Or, would my money be better spent on a Play Station or Xbox?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited April 2017
    The game is good. But it's not a reason to get a Switch.

It might be a good enough reason to get a cheap Wii U though. Wii U had enough good games, even though it's End of Life now, to make it worth while. Even if you only keep it around long enough to play BotW and then take it back to Gamestop, I'd still say that was worth while.
    Phry
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017
    Whichever console has the exclusives you want to play is worth the money for you. I still don't have a switch because i'm waiting for more games to come out. PS4 has a huge number of exclusives i'm interested in so im all set for now. Nintendo has a lot of exclusives i'm also interested in, but they haven't landed on switch yet. IMO Zelda is a killer app, but i don't like the idea of buying a system for 1 game so i'm waiting for more big releases (Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Hunter, Metroid, Mario, etc).

• tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    edited April 2017
    I got the WII U version.  Couldn't be happier with it.  I will wait until switch gets it's issues sorted out.  Then again i may not get one unless the SMT title is exclusive.

As others have already stated, if you are looking to get one system, PS4 is the way to go.

Edit: as far as how good nintendo games are.  I find them usually lacking.  I got a WII U specifically for Xenoblade and don't regret it.  But I find they are lacking in quality titles.  Like a poster above me said if couch co op and family gaming is your thing it might be a good choice.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Cemu

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited April 2017

I have heard a lot of information about Zelda, game is supposed to be very good

Except there is a Few issues people are having : 1  Only 1 type of boss -Ganon- (the variety of boss's was a lot richer in Ocarina of time for the Nintendo 64) 2: not a whole lot of different enemies 3: over 100 different shrines you find around the world ,The puzzle shrines are supposed to be very fun people say, combat shrines get very boring after a Long time doing them (Since it is the exact same enemy Every time)

4: they needed to add More variety to the Enemies and Bigger Dungeons also

Amazing game at the beginning , but starts to slow down a lot and become boring after playing for many hours

I am waiting until they add DLC (Expansion) to the game and have a Buyable version with all that content

Velifax
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Snipperclip

Kamiko

I am Setsuna

Yooka Laylee

Shovel Knight

Monopoly switch 

And more

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys!  Gotta think about it.

What is Cemu?

Are there any really good PS4 exclusives?  I generally don't like fighters or FPS.
    Oh, I googled Cemu.  Is it legit?  Would Zelda really work on it?  Don't want to download a virus!  =/
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    I haven't tried Cemu, but emulators are often hit and miss with certain games.  If it works on Cemu, great,  but I haven't tested it.  

Honestly for Wii and WiiU games it doesn't make too much sense if they have any touchscreen or motion controls , the controllers don't map particularly well in many cases. 

If I were to Emulate anything its older games, or games without any non-standard controls like XB or PS4 controllers.

I've been looking into getting a switch but I'll wait.  Probably until next year...  I never bought into the Wii U,  but I can see myself playing the switch.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    OK, thanks guys!  Gotta think about it.

What is Cemu?

Are there any really good PS4 exclusives?  I generally don't like fighters or FPS.
    Lots of PS4 exclusives, it's probably the best platform for it right now. And not all shooters. Nioh and Bloodborne both have good reviews in the "hard as hell hacknslash" genre, Horizon Dawn Zero came out about the same time as BotW, and it has gotten about the same praise as BotW as GOTY quality for action RPG. Uncharted is phenomenal. Last Guardian. A few different Final Fantasy titles (World of, XII remake, etc). Gravity Rush. 

Can keep going, Sony has a lot of good titles locked up, and I really like my PS4. But they don't have Zelda or Mario, and I'm glad we have a Wii U as well. Not quite sold on Switch yet.

As far as CEMU - not exactly legal, no. And not without glitches - it works, sort of, but not something I'd recommend if  your goal is to play through the game right now.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited April 2017

Oh, I googled Cemu.  Is it legit?  Would Zelda really work on it?  Don't want to download a virus!  =/

Playing Zelda BOTW right now on an old i5-750@4ghz with 8ghz ram, I suggest you have atleast 16gb ram though and keep in mind cemu is relatively new so while it works well optimization hasn't been a priority yet.

It's a legit emulator that asks you to own the game itself but ....ahem... not necessary and Wii U Usb Helper is awesome so torrent not needed..lol

Cemu is a Wii U emu.  It uses the mouse to emulate the switch motion stuff so like in a some shrines u need to click with mouse on the left or right side of the screen to emulate tilting like you had the switch in your hand.  I play with a ps3 game pad on the PC via a program/driver kit called SCP Toolkit.

I have used lots of emulators and have to say I am quit impressed with how much they have done with Cemu in such short time.

I mean for me who is an old timer who loved the first zelda games I love that I dont have to buy a switch or other nintendo console to finally  experience some zelda games.

Does it crash at times, yes/
    I think mostly the crtash are due to my old potato pc with low ram as the cache for the game gobs up ram but it is quite playable and \i am half way through the game right now and pretty hooked crashes and all.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited April 2017
    Never mind, deleted!
    Post edited by MightyUnclean on
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Seems to me your real question is "Would Lemmy play a Switch?"

Which is a very very valid question. Likely answeres with "Yes, as long as you also have a Jack and Coke".
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Hey folks,

I haven't had a console for years.  I'm intrigued, though, by the player and pro reviews of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild.  I've heard several people say that this is the "greatest RPG ever made."  I'm not sure if that's just early-play giddiness, but it still has be interested.

Anyway, is Zelda, along with other titles sure to come out eventually, reason enough to get a Switch?  How good do the Nintendo games tend to be?  Or, would my money be better spent on a Play Station or Xbox?

Thanks for any info!

It really is the greatest RPG of all time, the game has a charm that other games ie PS4 exclusives like Nier: Automata, Nioh and
    Horizons New Dawn do not have despite them being fantastic games in their own right.

On the Switch you will also be able to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    (hopefully later this year), the previous game scoring an average of
    92/100 on metacritic, another massive fantastic RPG.

If you're into racing games Fast RMX is really good and Mario Kart 8 is
    coming next month, Splatoon 2 arrives in July and despite its cutey
    graphics it is a really really good, addicitive shooter.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited April 2017
    Trying to find a Wii U is so hard I would buy the Wii U for this game but cannot find a used one because no one is selling it for cheap anyway the prices are insane like 300 + Euros.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

kitarad said:

Trying to find a Wii U is so hard I would buy the Wii U for this game but cannot find a used one because no one is selling it for cheap anyway the prices are insane like 300 + Euros.

I know my sister searched one for her kid. Eventually she found one, black edition gamepad + controller and 2 games (mario kart and party) and charging dock for 175 euro. Was in a good condition.

edited April 2017
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The so called pro reviews are from advertising.
    Example this sites sister site gave it a ridiculous 9.8,NOBODY could be perceived as legit after a rating like that.
    In the real world,the game did NOT show us as being great,it is 46 on twitch meaning LOW replayability.It also tells me it was simply a NEW nostalgic title that gamer's RACED to finished then tossed it away.
    The game was designed to run on NON PC,which is why it looks LQ and why it would NEVER garner even close to a 8/10 because it is lacking in HQ design.

Q...get a console just to play it?No way,in saying that ,i made that very same mistake twice in my lifetime and vow to never do it again.

I fully understand WHY people like consoles,it is more about laying back and using a controller.However buy a console because that is what you like,do not buy it for a game i consider grossly over rated.In comparison,i hangout in streams and ALL the time i hear people talking about various games,i think maybe once i heard mention of Zelda,seems nobody really cares about the game past the media/advertising.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Ridelynn said:

The game is good. But it's not a reason to get a Switch.

It might be a good enough reason to get a cheap Wii U though. Wii U had enough good games, even though it's End of Life now, to make it worth while. Even if you only keep it around long enough to play BotW and then take it back to Gamestop, I'd still say that was worth while.

Wii U is end of life?  I still haven't played my Wii games...  I need to stop buying these things until I get caught up.
    They are not manufacturing Wii U any more so difficult to get them some prices on ebay is 1000 over.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Wizardry said:

The so called pro reviews are from advertising.
    Example this sites sister site gave it a ridiculous 9.8,NOBODY could be perceived as legit after a rating like that.
    In the real world,the game did NOT show us as being great,it is 46 on twitch meaning LOW replayability.It also tells me it was simply a NEW nostalgic title that gamer's RACED to finished then tossed it away.
    The game was designed to run on NON PC,which is why it looks LQ and why it would NEVER garner even close to a 8/10 because it is lacking in HQ design.

Q...get a console just to play it?No way,in saying that ,i made that very same mistake twice in my lifetime and vow to never do it again.

I fully understand WHY people like consoles,it is more about laying back and using a controller.However buy a console because that is what you like,do not buy it for a game i consider grossly over rated.In comparison,i hangout in streams and ALL the time i hear people talking about various games,i think maybe once i heard mention of Zelda,seems nobody really cares about the game past the media/advertising.

I think you misunderstand the rating system if you think just because replayability of titles is low which somehow makes it a "bad game".

MMO players think games should be never ending and that you should always have one thing or another to keep you coming back.

But games don't start there.  Back when games were just getting out there it was completely possible to "beat" games. You go through something enjoyable.. a story.. a journey and you end with completion of the game.  

That doesn't mean that it isn't an amazing game because you don't play it forever.  

The greatest, best rated game of all time was Zelda Ocarina of Time.  I played it when it first released and I do believe it was an amazing game that deserves high praise. 

I haven't played BoTW yet,  but under no circumstances do I feel like reviews were "bought" simply because the game received high scores.  More importantly it makes no sense to attack a games scores when you haven't played it.  

Attack the games design,  attack that it's on consoles, attack that you hate the name Zelda,  but overall the scores, even by users, have been extremely high.   The switch version has an 8.3/10 rating on metacritic to the critic reviews of 97/100.  Even if user reviews are a little low and critic reviews are a little high, the game would still be a solid 9 which is pretty fantastic. 

Moot point for now, can't find a Switch in stock anywhere.
  • PanzerDragoonWorldPanzerDragoonWorld Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Yes Zelda BOTW is a reason to get a Switch.
    It is my favorite game now with Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    I dont want to run into the Switch specs debate, it doesn't matter how powerful this device is and haters should learn and take a step back.
    Ex: I enjoy playing Horizon on my PS4 Pro but I will remember even more my gaming experience on Zelda BOTW. 
    Fun, artistic direction matters so much more than those over detailed graphics..
  • HeyYouVideoGameHeyYouVideoGame Member UncommonPosts: 22
    What other great games are coming to the Switch?
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I know the library is small right now but there are a lot of games to look forward to.  I check the Wikipedia page of Switch Games every week because they generally have a few new games in the online shop every weekend.

Each month, they aim to release a major, AAA Nintendo title.  This month, there's the Mario+Rabbids title, next month has the Pokemon title, and October has Mario Odyssey.

So far, BoTW has been my go-to, but I've also enjoyed Mario Kart (this is a big deal because it's the one game my wife will play with me -- she is not a gamer!) and the occasional Splatoon 2 match (I previously had never played Splatoon, so I found this to be a fun new experience).

Objectively speaking, if you're on the fence, I'd recommend waiting a few months to see if there is a holiday sale... this also gives you a bit more time to evaluate upcoming releases.

As a fanboy speaking... wtf are you waiting for?! BREATH OF THE WIIIIILD!