Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Scorpio Exclusive: Final Specs Revealed!

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited April 2017 in General Gaming
Published on Apr 6, 2017

Rich went to Microsoft to see Project Scorpio, talk to the people who made it and see software running. But just how powerful is it? This video reveals all.

Post edited by Mikeha on

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited April 2017
    5 Ways Scorpio Improves Your Xbox One and 360 Games!

Published on Apr 6, 2017

From improved texturing filtering to faster loading times, Scorpio is set to flatter your existing Xbox One and 360 library in ways we didn't expect. Rich explains in detail the five ways older games get a visual uplift on Microsoft's new machine.

Is Project Scorpio better than the PS4 Pro?

Published on Apr 6, 2017

It's the question every gamer wants to know the answer to - is Project Scorpio better than the PS4 Pro? Find out as Ian talks to Digital Foundry's Rich Leadbetter about everything he learnt about Project Scorpio specs on his trip to Microsoft Redmond. It's Project Scorpio vs the PS4 Pro vs Ian and a bunch of specs he doesn't understand. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Great. Now all they need are some games.
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Rusque said:
    Great. Now all they need are some games.
    Which will be on PC too
    edited April 2017
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Race track games are one of the least demanding.

I'm kind of bummed that they're sticking with 32bit. It doesn't matter for most genre's of games, but for things like like big open detailed environments the 32bit ram restrictions can have a significant impact on the design.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

updated with spec comparison chart.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Recore said:
    Published on Apr 6, 2017

Rich went to Microsoft to see Project Scorpio, talk to the people who made it and see software running. But just how powerful is it? This video reveals all.

Stopped listening at 3:20. DX12 integrated into the CPU/GPU chip. This means that all that MS has done is 'upgrade' the custom Jaguar chipset into a PC compatible system that MUST be able to run Windows 10 / DirecX12 compatible applications. IMO this is not an upgrade but rather a downgrade compared to the power that most gamers already have on their Windows 10 computer.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Reizla said:
    Recore said:
    Published on Apr 6, 2017

Stopped listening at 3:20. DX12 integrated into the CPU/GPU chip. This means that all that MS has done is 'upgrade' the custom Jaguar chipset into a PC compatible system that MUST be able to run Windows 10 / DirecX12 compatible applications. IMO this is not an upgrade but rather a downgrade compared to the power that most gamers already have on their Windows 10 computer.
    see the issue with your post though true, is that MOST who buy consoles can not aford a top end computer. i am running a 700 USD computer and its about on par with this one. I know if i was to build my own computer i could get more for the same price but sadly with no work space i am left to buy pre-built ones. This is more for non PC players and less for PC gamers.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    The games on this will be playable on the PC am I right so why would I buy it ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    jircris said:
    Reizla said:
    Recore said:
    Published on Apr 6, 2017

see the issue with your post though true, is that MOST who buy consoles can not aford a top end computer. i am running a 700 USD computer and its about on par with this one. I know if i was to build my own computer i could get more for the same price but sadly with no work space i am left to buy pre-built ones. This is more for non PC players and less for PC gamers.
    Additionally:

If this means that a PC can play Xbox games and an Xbox can play PC games well that's a huge plus in my book. It actually might interest me in purchasing one for up at the lake.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    laserit said:
    jircris said:
    Reizla said:
    Recore said:
    Published on Apr 6, 2017

Additionally:

If this means that a PC can play Xbox games and an Xbox can play PC games well that's a huge plus in my book. It actually might interest me in purchasing one for up at the lake.
    true, did not consider that. I have friends who will NOT touch a console, so we can't play games togeather. Hopefully this will change that.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2017
    nope...sticking to PC 

thanks

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Aren't XBoxes just wannabe, watered-down desktops these days, overall?  I mean it's basically Windows-for-dummies at this point.

If, as mentioned, all the games are being designed to be playable on PC anyway, then I just don't see any appeal.

I think Scorpio will easily be the most powerful console around, but I have no interest in owning an Xbox since the 360, personally.

Someone mentioned cost being a benefit, but if you factor in cost of games and such, a PC has been far and away more cost efficient over time for quite a while now.
    Lokero said:
    Aren't XBoxes just wannabe, watered-down desktops these days, overall?  I mean it's basically Windows-for-dummies at this point.

If, as mentioned, all the games are being designed to be playable on PC anyway, then I just don't see any appeal.

I think Scorpio will easily be the most powerful console around, but I have no interest in owning an Xbox since the 360, personally.

Someone mentioned cost being a benefit, but if you factor in cost of games and such, a PC has been far and away more cost efficient over time for quite a while now.
    Yeah its basically always been a water down version.

Now in addition to that the content for PC is WAY better and larger as well

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Lokero said:

The games will likely be playable on PC but they will not be designed for the PC. The Xbox through and through has been more focused on bridging the gap between the PC and consoles, but why this matters is because the hardware is way more accessible to a larger population, and people buy consoles because they are easier to use and they WORK without worrying about specs.

If you see a game on console, you don't have to worry about drivers or whether you've updated your video card in the last 5 years.  If it's on the console store it will work.

Not to mention that many people use these as more than just gaming machines, most people run their entertainment through them, which isn't as simple on a PC.   Oh and console games aren't far and away more expensive than PC games.  They are actually pretty comparable.  You too have deals just like steam has, many of which you can pick up games for a few dollars.  

Seeing as how the last console you had was the 360, it doesn't surprise me your outlook isn't updated as well.

Lokero said:

The Xbox through and through has been more focused on bridging the gap between the PC and consoles...

That might need a bit more indepth explanation. I think I know what you are trying to say but at first it seems like 'wait..an xbox is a console how is a console bridging the gap with itself?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lokero said:

The Xbox through and through has been more focused on bridging the gap between the PC and consoles...

That might need a bit more indepth explanation. I think I know what you are trying to say but at first it seems like 'wait..an xbox is a console how is a console bridging the gap with itself?
    You can do research on your own. In fact, the spec sheet on the OP is right there for you to see.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    320+gb/s bandwidth and we will still see games stifle along.It really says there are a lot of problems in the industry above and beyond simple numbers/statistics.
    As to spec sheets,well i guess i don't really need those,since i mentioned the results shown in our gaming does not equate to the numbers ,however even if i did went to see numbers,it would have to be independent of ANY affiliation with Microsoft.Meaning no sponsored websites.

Maybe someone can post what exactly 300 GB/s means and how it relates to other factors/peripherals.I did it before but am too lazy this time around lol.I will say this,even with Xbox's 200 gb/s we should be seeing super fast gaming on ANY and all games,way up around 300+ frames per sec.It says  the overall structure is not soundly designed once applications are inserted,as well it says games are not very ell designed either.

So the tech keeps going up but gaming moves at a snails pace.Tech will never stop moving up in increments because there is a war going on for a slice of the pie but gaming seems to make out fine delivering very low end games that can run on 15 year old machines.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MickyknoxMickyknox Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited April 2017
    Soo what your saying is its a dumbed down PC 

ok got it
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    So this just proves that the best way to go is a PS4/PS4 Pro and  a PC. Good news since that is exactly what I've been using, and my Xbox S can continue to collect dust.

edited April 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lokero said:

You can do research on your own. In fact, the spec sheet on the OP is right there for you to see.
    ok the spec sheet has nothing to do with 'a console that is bridging the gap between itself (A console) and a PC'

no fucking idea what you are talking about now

basically when bridging between two things it usually involves a third thing. if it doesnt, then clarification is helpful

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    My PC is still much better even though there it is a year old already.  One of the differences I see between the PS4 Pro and Scorpio is that Scorpio can do true 4k while the Pro is still limited to upscaling to achieve 4k.  Probably not a whole lot of difference there.

The thing that really hurts the entire PS line up, is no UHD blueray.  That is the only way I can see a 4k movie on my TV and the Xbox One S I have is the exact same price as a UHD drive at the moment.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The games will likely be playable on PC but they will not be designed for the PC.
    Are you referring to them as being "console ports" here?  Ports are often iiffy, but it's something that happens all the time with many games, sadly.  By that, I mean many PC games end up as console ports when they are being designed as multi-platform.  It seems to have become something of a trend to design with console schemes/performance drawbacks in mind, then do a quick and dirty port for PC versions.

The Xbox through and through has been more focused on bridging the gap between the PC and consoles, but why this matters is because the hardware is way more accessible to a larger population, and people buy consoles because they are easier to use and they WORK without worrying about specs.

If you see a game on console, you don't have to worry about drivers or whether you've updated your video card in the last 5 years.  If it's on the console store it will work.
    Well, this was rather my whole point for comparison, though.  It's basically just a simplistic Windows system these days.  I guess it makes perfect sense for people who simply don't own or use computers much.

I certainly can't argue that consoles are "easier".  I was simply saying, that for someone with a PC, there just seems to be no reason whatsoever to own an Xbox anymore if all the games are compatible going forward.
    To be honest, the only reason I owned pretty much every console over the years(up until the X1 and PS4) was for exclusives.  If MS releases all their exclusives as cross-platform, then there's just nothing left to make it desirable(speaking for myself here, other people may have a different view).
    I mean, even all the controllers are plug-and-play USB cords since the last couple generations, so playing a console game designed for controller schemes is just as easy on a PC.

Generally speaking, though, console lifespans aren't much different than upgrading your PC(instead of upgrading PC parts you are buying new consoles).  I do agree that this is convenient to have a standard for developers and consumers though.  Since all devs are building to the same specs, it makes life simpler from a development standpoint.
    Though, it's somewhat irrelevant, honestly.  If a game won't run on your PC(assuming it was comparable to a console to start with), then it wouldn't have run/been released with the console in mind anyway(it's probably a higher-end PC-only game, in other words).  So, instead of worrying whether it works on your PC's specs, you simply wouldn't have access to it at all on a console.

Not to mention that many people use these as more than just gaming machines, most people run their entertainment through them, which isn't as simple on a PC.

I don't even know what this means, to be honest.  I can't think of anything offhand that a console can do that a PC can't, but I admit that I never tried to do anything extravagant.  You can stream, watch movies, hook up computers to big screen TVs, etc.

I am curious what you are referring to though, mw, mainly because I don't really know what other stuff people consider "entertainment" on them :p

Oh, one thing that comes to mind is the profiles and achievement systems that Xbox Live had(I assume still has).  I know they used to link up on Games for Windows Live before it got canned, but I don't know if they have any of that stuff back on PC now.  I haven't looked into Microsoft's latest software(UWP or whatever they call it) much.

Oh and console games aren't far and away more expensive than PC games.  They are actually pretty comparable.  You too have deals just like steam has, many of which you can pick up games for a few dollars.  

Seeing as how the last console you had was the 360, it doesn't surprise me your outlook isn't updated as well.
    You've got me there.  I imagine now that you can just download anything through the PSN and Xbox storefronts, they have some decent deals, as well.  Have release prices come down on console games as well, or are new games still at more of a premium price on consoles?
    edited April 2017
    Lokero said:
    The games will likely be playable on PC but they will not be designed for the PC.
    Are you referring to them as being "console ports" here?  Ports are often iiffy, but it's something that happens all the time with many games, sadly.  By that, I mean many PC games end up as console ports when they are being designed as multi-platform.  It seems to have become something of a trend to design with console schemes/performance drawbacks in mind, then do a quick and dirty port for PC versions.

its mostly just a trend in the AAA market because the AAA market by its very nature is a marketing juggernaut of which prefers you play consoles in the first place.

The so called indie market however is exploding hand of first with PC first titles. This side of the market in number of games dwarfs the size of the AAA market. I dont know if they do in total aggregate sales figures though.