Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm - A Sneak Peek At What 2.0 Brings to the Nexus - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHeroes of the Storm - A Sneak Peek At What 2.0 Brings to the Nexus - MMORPG.com

This week I had the opportunity to visit the Heroes of the Storm Spring Summit to get a sneak peak of what Blizzard has in store for the MOBA, and it turns out they’re planning a whole lot. So much so that they’re even touting this as the beginning of “Heroes 2.0”. So what does this entail? Let’s dive in.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SteamPunkProgramSteamPunkProgram Member CommonPosts: 2
    Still no fixes for MMR issues, or match making, what a joke. Don't care.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I call this the Overwatchification of HotS. I like the changes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    I always hated gems in place of currency. Just another way for them to artificially inflate stupid skins or deflate them to make it feel like a "deal".
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I always hated gems in place of currency. Just another way for them to artificially inflate stupid skins or deflate them to make it feel like a "deal".

Well, if youre too lazy to do the math.....
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Still needs optional voice chat imo.
  • vicentesoulvicentesoul Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Still needs optimization... the starcraft 2 engine is pure sh*t :/
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2017

BizkitNL said:

Has nothing to do with that. Most people get bothered by currency conversion because, almost without fail, you can't buy the exact amount of currency that the item you want costs. You have to buy more and have some left over. That's what irks many other folks. It's designed to get you to buy again by leaving juuuust enough leftover that you can't afford any other item without adding to the leftover total. I don't know that HotS will specifically work the same, but the precedent in the industry doesn't give me high hopes if won't follow suit.

But good way to just assume someone is an idiot because they are willing to assert their disagreement, as a consumer, with a producer's marketing plan. Because that's easier than actually considering the viewpoint, right?

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Looks like I quit this awful game at the perfect time! :-D
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited March 2017
    Quite a few nice things will be added. Looking forward to, though I'm wondering how they will reward people that have already played a ton of games... There are people with 6-7k games, I myself have 2k games, so it would suck if we don't get any rewards while all new accounts get those rewards.

Also from what I've seen so far only bronze players complain about the game being shit.
    The game is fun and while it has quite a number of idiot players the community is not even close as the cancer community for LoL for example. I don't know about others, but for me that's a plus.

Played LoL for quite a while and was really close to challenger even, but damn was it cancerous... It didn't matter if you are bronze or diamond it was full of people who could start spewing crap even when you are winning. Awful community.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    what about us players that have already levelled up most the characters past 10? wouldn't this mean making a new account and getting chests while levelling would = more rewards?

hopefully we get x amount of chests for each character levelled previous to patch
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    edited March 2017
    sadly the game will still punish you for being really good at the game.
    as soon as you hit high master/gm, enjoy the 10 to 15 minutes queues and being matched with players that are nowhere near your level.
    it might be due to a population issue but it's one of the reason why i no longer play the game (other reason being the horrible meta).
    these rng box gimmicks will help the population problem for a little while with a lot of returning players but they will leave for the same reasons they left before (and that was not the lack of rng boxes).
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Xodic said:

Business strategy 2.0 has nothing to do with actual game-play.

Just sounds their making spending real cash more enticing. Yawn.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited March 2017

karmath said:

Xodic said:

Business strategy 2.0 has nothing to do with actual game-play.

Just sounds their making spending real cash more enticing. Yawn.

Erm, it is actually doing the opposite. Spending real cash is actually less enticing then it was before because you can earn every reward in game. Most MOBAs don't allow this at all. I can't think of one that does. I recommend reading things before criticizing them. This is absolutely a business strategy change, but a consumer friendly change. They are trying to get more players into the game for longer by making these changes, thus making those players potentially more willing to spend money in the long term. I don't really think that is a bad thing... Also there will be retroactive loot boxes but they are capped to 70. This is the current controversial change that can absolutely be criticized. Personally I don't feel like those who played the game prior to the patch are entitled to such things, but that is just my opinion.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited March 2017
    For those wondering, rewarding veteran players is going to be handled very, very bad. Classic Blizzard, not caring about their playerbase, just their profits.

The max. amount of Chests a player will receive is only 70 (for 1000+ level). If you were to create a new account and level yourself to a total of lvl 1000 again, you'd get 1000 chests. Not to mention that you'll gain levels more quickly now. In a month beginners will get more Chests than the veteran players that have played Hots for years.

Sure it's mostly just cosmetics, but this is yet another huge slap in the face by Blizzard to their playerbase. I'll probably still play Hots, however I'm damn sure not giving them any money from now on. Greedy bastards. Shame on them.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    josko9 said:
    For those wondering, rewarding veteran players is going to be handled very, very bad. Classic Blizzard, not caring about their playerbase, just their profits.

The max. amount of Chests a player will receive is only 70 (for 1000+ level). If you were to create a new account and level yourself to a total of lvl 1000 again, you'd get 1000 chests. Not to mention that you'll gain levels more quickly now. In a month beginners will get more Chests than the veteran players that have played Hots for years.

Sure it's mostly just cosmetics, but this is yet another huge slap in the face by Blizzard to their playerbase. I'll probably still play Hots, however I'm damn sure not giving them any money from now on. Greedy bastards. Shame on them.

Ok explain how it is greedy and not just a whiny group of players that should be more happy that more people might be interested in playing the game making matches faster to find and in the long run better.  More like typical greedy players that do not care about the game they plays health and are only interested in their own personal gain....greedy greedy.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    an optional reset level would be nice so we can earn as much chests as everyone else , though id rather just get what i would have got if i make a new account
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543

rush1984 said:

an optional reset level would be nice so we can earn as much chests as everyone else , though id rather just get what i would have got if i make a new account

You get the chests you would've earned automatically.

Do you people not read or research anything?
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

josko9 said:

Those 70 chests, which is the cap, represent 280 chances to get something you don't already have. There are 4 rewards per chest, plus you can reroll each chest for 250g the first reroll. For people who are sitting on hoards of in game gold, they will be able to reroll a lot of their chests. For those with tons of gold, the 280 chances goes up significantly. For duplicate items, you'll get shards when you can then use to get stuff you don't have but want.

The items included in those chests also include things that used to be only obtainable by cash, like mounts and many skins. You'll also earn chests faster since the leveling curve has been reduced significantly, so those with account level 1000 will earn rewards at a very reasonable clip.

For those who are still butthurt over the new progression system. Go make a smurf account and get the rewards.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Asch126 said:

rush1984 said:

The max cap of chests given is 70. So, you don't automatically get ALL of the chests you would earn on a brand new account given the same character level. Of course, account level 1000 is a significant time investment, so anyone with an account level of 1000 will probably earn 1000 chests faster than someone with a brand new account that grinds to account level 1000.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited March 2017
    Kaneth said:

Asch126 said:

rush1984 said:

The max cap of chests given is 70. So, you don't automatically get ALL of the chests you would earn on a brand new account given the same character level. Of course, account level 1000 is a significant time investment, so anyone with an account level of 1000 will probably earn 1000 chests faster than someone with a brand new account that grinds to account level 1000.

Max account level now is 40.  I do not think 40 will turn into 1000.  I bet it will turn into 70. Since they say the xp gap will be smaller between levels.
  • FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Horusra said:
    Max account level now is 40.  I do not think 40 will turn into 1000.  I bet it will turn into 70. Since they say the xp gap will be smaller between levels.
    Account level is the sum of all hero levels in this case.
  • IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46

Horusra said:

Kaneth said:

Asch126 said:

rush1984 said:

As @FrankVLucas said, the account level is the sum of all hero levels, and the maximum hero level is being raised to a point that's so high the great, great, majority of players are never going to get close to it.

I have absolutely no idea what this talk of 40 or 70 chests maximum is. There is virtually no cap on the amount of chests you can earn.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

BizkitNL said:

Has nothing to do with that. Most people get bothered by currency conversion because, almost without fail, you can't buy the exact amount of currency that the item you want costs. You have to buy more and have some left over. That's what irks many other folks. It's designed to get you to buy again by leaving juuuust enough leftover that you can't afford any other item without adding to the leftover total. I don't know that HotS will specifically work the same, but the precedent in the industry doesn't give me high hopes if won't follow suit.

But good way to just assume someone is an idiot because they are willing to assert their disagreement, as a consumer, with a producer's marketing plan. Because that's easier than actually considering the viewpoint, right?
    1. This makes sense. Your original post didnt mention any of this, so my response is limited to that alone.

2. I never called anyone an idiot.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292

Isarii said:

Horusra said:

Kaneth said:

Asch126 said:

rush1984 said:

As @FrankVLucas said, the account level is the sum of all hero levels, and the maximum hero level is being raised to a point that's so high the great, great, majority of players are never going to get close to it.

I have absolutely no idea what this talk of 40 or 70 chests maximum is. There is virtually no cap on the amount of chests you can earn.

the limit is for vets, since levels carry over as we understand it you cannot re lvl anything for those easy chest or early reward from 1-5 now the fighting that people are yelling about is the 70 cap no matter how many hero lvls you earned

so they say you could lose 1 chest to 2-300 chest depending on how much you played an level different heroes versus starting fresh an putting in same work

their lot of pissing from each side saying the other is wrong an asking to much but for me i try to remain neutral as overall i like 2.0 despite it flaws

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited April 2017
    More ways to milk weak willed players, it's beyond disgusting. If this was really to improve the game then boxes wouldn't be made available for $ but only be obtainable by gaining levels but we know which option they want everyone to choose and why they are really doing this. I would glady pay $ for some type of skill tress for heroes so it feels like I'm really investing myself in one but that would be too much work or how about a surrender option after all these years. People don't quit this game because they don't have sprays or emotes they quit because the matchmaking sucks and overall the game is shallow af.

Can probably also expect that every time they add something to a loot box or around holidays there will be news articles about it everywhere.

After the dust for this has settled they will probably add loot boxes to WoW. I bet it'll be similar to the season loot boxes in ESO because other company's ideas are just too tempting not to copy.