Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Thoughts on Revelation Online

RionRequielRionRequiel Member UncommonPosts: 17
All right so I am one of "Those Guys" who has gone in and purchased Revelation's Deluxe Pack without even having played the game. I literally got the Pack before Closed Beta even started. Why? Because while I have had a rough time with most games in the recent year or so (Looking at you Skyforge and Archeage), I still wanted to give this game a chance. It has a rather appealing aesthetic in my opinion and the fact it feels like Blade and Soul had a Love Child with AION was what made it even better. I love the Open World feeling and I like that PvP isn't forced upon you every time you turn around. It's optional for the most part and I reached level 47 without doing more than a fun Duel with some Guild Mates. Now, lemme get to my personal Pros and Cons list. 

PROS:

1 - Leveling is pretty quick during the first 40 Levels. Anything prior to Level 31 feels mostly like a Tutorial that actually lets you get used to the game instead of saying "Here's your 5 minute Tutorial. Kay? Thanks. Bye.". It does a good job of letting you have a personal feel for the game as you go through it. 

2 - The Guild System is pretty epic, not going to lie this was a large factor of me wanting to play it. Not many games give you the same progressive feeling of accomplishment when working on a Guild. This game lets you go in, expand your Personal Guild Territory by clearing away fog through Guild Quests and then you can assign NPCs to build buildings like a Guild Storage. I enjoy this a great deal and love the feeling of progression that is given as you work with your friends. 

3 - The Housing System set to come out with Open Beta. Yeah we didn't get to play with it too much but a Player Housing System is always a huge plus for me and the fact that your Lover in the game has some access to things as well makes it that much sweeter. 

4 - Let's talk about the community system actually. To me this game borrows a good idea from the game Dream of Mirror Online with how it's Friend List System works. We get a few categories in it and can do Instant Private Messages without the need to use the Whisper Command through a Special Chat Window which is great in my opinion. I like things like that, it's something that adds to it for me. 

5 - The Combat System in my opinion is pretty fun. It's fast, on point, and definitely keeps you moving around instead of standing in place mashing the same button over and over. Sure like every MMORPG it has the basic 'Rotations' you are expected to keep up for your class. But in the end it lets you choose between going all TERA in the Action Style or Good Old Tab Targeting (Bite me. I like Tab Targeting.).

6 - When it comes to Classes, yes there are only 6 (Currently) but they all feel fairly balanced with different roles they can take on while being played. The only classes that I have seen without much room for an Alternate Style is Vanguard (Mainly Tank), Spirit-Shaper (Mainly healing) and Gunslinger (Ranged DPS). The rest of the Classes have various options for combat roles, for example: Blade-Master can be Crowd Control, DPS, and Off-Tank. Sword Mage is DPS and Crowd Control. Occultist is Healer and DPS for Magic. However they are fairly balanced even though some Classes have the 'Set Role' or at least feel that way. This makes sure that all classes available have a function as a party member which I love. 

7 - Music. Yeah it may not be new, fancy, or spectacular to some people. But in my opinion, this game has nice music that I enjoy. 

CONS:

1 - When it comes to getting past level 45 things start to feel exceedingly slow due to the Quests jumping large gaps and requiring you to grind out levels. Unless you have a dedicated party that absolutely loves Dungeon Runs or Raids, you won't level up all that quickly after hitting maybe level 43 depending on how you have been playing. 

2 - Acquiring Gyth Notes to make a Guild (You need 300,000) can be rather tough if you don't have a party to help you out. It took me a few days to get a Guild up because I had to go to the first Dungeon's Easy Mode (Scenario Mode) and gather equipment drops then sell them off to an NPC. Gyth Notes aren't able to be traded so it adds to the frustration. Luckily the process is easier if you have friends who will grind the dungeons with you and trade the dropped gear to you for you to sell. But it's still super slow.

3 - Going to give the bad points about the Classes now... Some of them are downright frustrating to play if you are a beginner when it comes to MMORPGs in general. Sword Mage and Blade-Master are both good examples as you have to manage buffs and make sure you are in the right stance so certain attacks do what they need to do. It's exhausting at times to be honest and it can be just a little too complicated. The battles are fun but they aren't exactly enjoyable when a single mistake means you have to start a rotation all over again. 

(Continued in Comment Below)

Comments

• RionRequielRionRequiel Member UncommonPosts: 17
    DEAL MAKERS:

1 - It's not that bad when you think of it as Blade and Soul meets AION meets TERA meets Dream of Mirror Online. Personally I find that rather good and some others might as well. 

2 - The game's Aesthetic isn't all that bad. A lot of people try to say the graphics are crap but honestly they aren't. They are enjoyable to look at. Certainly not on BDO's Level but it's not the worst looking game in existence. 

3 - The Character Customization is exceedingly deep with a bunch of hairstyles, sliders, and even eye styles for you to make your character truly unique. 

4 - A Battle System that certainly keeps you on your toes and constantly moving around which to some people is a great thing to have. Most dislike static battles. 

5 - Flying. Open World. Those two things alone makes this game fun to play and the best part is, it's Free to Play. So you don't have to pay to fly around. 

6 - Housing Systems that let you customize your home which we are getting when Open Beta hits supposedly. 

7 - A nice selection of cosmetics for Wings and Outfits. 

8 - They took a page from a few games where you can exchange normally Currency earned through Quests for Item Mall Currency meaning if you play enough and do well in the market you don't have to pay real money to access the Item Mall and get those things. I didn't even Top Up in CBT3 when the Item Mall was released for tests. I just converted some Gythil (In-Game Currency) into Aurum (Item Mall/Premium Currency) and used that for buying the Trial Premium they had. 

DEAL BREAKERS:

1 - Let's get straight to the point for all the Sheep and Boys who Cry P2W. Yes, the Game does let you buy things to help you upgrade your weapons and armor. Yes it does sell an Item in the Item Mall that lets you track the person who last killed you in PvP so you can get your Revenge. Yes it does have a Premium Subscription Option (Though it isn't half as bad as Archeage in this regard.). Yes it does have some things that may help you reach the top faster but in the end you are still going to hit Content Caps and be left waiting. In retrospect, Three Months of Premium Service won't get you far if you are going to be sitting around waiting for the next content update so you can use your EXP Boost to get to the new cap. 

2 - The Game can feel as if it's "Just another cog in the machine" when it comes to MMORPGs. It doesn't really do anything innovative. 

3 - Progression feels a little grindy in the later parts of the game. 

4 - It's mostly focused upon Groups and Team Play. Solo Players may not enjoy this game completely. 

5 - Some people feel that 6 Classes may not be enough. Despite most people picking only 1-3 classes and sticking with them. 

6 - Some Classes have restricted character models.. Problematic in the long run because not everyone wants to look like a Teen Girl or Loli Girl when playing Spirit-Shaper or Blade-Master. Kinda hoping this gets fixed myself. 

PERSONAL OVERALL RATING: 7.75/10 (The game is great to me. But it does fall short in some areas.)

Thoughts and opinions of other people are highly welcomed as is constructive criticism. If you are only going to regurgitate the filth of "The Game is P2W" or "It's Bad because so and so said so and I have no real personal opinion because I have never played the game" then I respectfully ask you to just not post at all. Give me reasons for your opinion. Not words other people have said over and over. 
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    DEAL MAKERS:

1 - It's not that bad when you think of it as Blade and Soul meets AION meets TERA meets Dream of Mirror Online. Personally I find that rather good and some others might as well. 

2 - The game's Aesthetic isn't all that bad. A lot of people try to say the graphics are crap but honestly they aren't. They are enjoyable to look at. Certainly not on BDO's Level but it's not the worst looking game in existence. 

3 - The Character Customization is exceedingly deep with a bunch of hairstyles, sliders, and even eye styles for you to make your character truly unique. 

4 - A Battle System that certainly keeps you on your toes and constantly moving around which to some people is a great thing to have. Most dislike static battles. 

5 - Flying. Open World. Those two things alone makes this game fun to play and the best part is, it's Free to Play. So you don't have to pay to fly around. 

6 - Housing Systems that let you customize your home which we are getting when Open Beta hits supposedly. 

7 - A nice selection of cosmetics for Wings and Outfits. 

8 - They took a page from a few games where you can exchange normally Currency earned through Quests for Item Mall Currency meaning if you play enough and do well in the market you don't have to pay real money to access the Item Mall and get those things. I didn't even Top Up in CBT3 when the Item Mall was released for tests. I just converted some Gythil (In-Game Currency) into Aurum (Item Mall/Premium Currency) and used that for buying the Trial Premium they had. 

DEAL BREAKERS:

1 - Let's get straight to the point for all the Sheep and Boys who Cry P2W. Yes, the Game does let you buy things to help you upgrade your weapons and armor. Yes it does sell an Item in the Item Mall that lets you track the person who last killed you in PvP so you can get your Revenge. Yes it does have a Premium Subscription Option (Though it isn't half as bad as Archeage in this regard.). Yes it does have some things that may help you reach the top faster but in the end you are still going to hit Content Caps and be left waiting. In retrospect, Three Months of Premium Service won't get you far if you are going to be sitting around waiting for the next content update so you can use your EXP Boost to get to the new cap. 

2 - The Game can feel as if it's "Just another cog in the machine" when it comes to MMORPGs. It doesn't really do anything innovative. 

3 - Progression feels a little grindy in the later parts of the game. 

4 - It's mostly focused upon Groups and Team Play. Solo Players may not enjoy this game completely. 

5 - Some people feel that 6 Classes may not be enough. Despite most people picking only 1-3 classes and sticking with them. 

6 - Some Classes have restricted character models.. Problematic in the long run because not everyone wants to look like a Teen Girl or Loli Girl when playing Spirit-Shaper or Blade-Master. Kinda hoping this gets fixed myself. 

PERSONAL OVERALL RATING: 7.75/10 (The game is great to me. But it does fall short in some areas.)

Thoughts and opinions of other people are highly welcomed as is constructive criticism. If you are only going to regurgitate the filth of "The Game is P2W" or "It's Bad because so and so said so and I have no real personal opinion because I have never played the game" then I respectfully ask you to just not post at all. Give me reasons for your opinion. Not words other people have said over and over. 
    Great review. Got to the salient points and gave me a good idea of what the game will be like (for me).

Glad I could help out in a way that isn't blatantly kissing the game's butt but also isn't trying to make it seem like the worst game ever. 
  • DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    dont really see what the big fuzz is about with this game.

Played alot of the Beta. and now i have been playing the game for the past many houres.!

I feel the stroy of the game is NOT there. I feel like the world is super linear. Its kinda not put weel together.

You have no idear why you do stuff in the game as the stroy gets told VERY bad.

The translation of the game is really BAD and missen alot of places.

from lvl 0-30. i think i killed the same amount of mobs in WOW you do from lvl 1-5 :P 90% of your time is just run talk, and run talk. If that is not the case, its just Trial or Instance farm ::skull:

I really dont see why people where so hyped for this game.  Imo is revelation not a good game. Would even go so far and say Tera, BnS is alot better. 

There are so many mmo on the market atm. WOW,ESO,Tera,Bns and so on. and dont think RO get even close to thouse games sadly :(
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Skipped it because of founders packs, rather than the company combing all  perks into one subscription price they are selling scrolls that do things like Boost XP and so on rather than one subscription for the benefits...

On top of this housing and character customization seems quite Pay 2 Enjoy so far based off what I have seen so not interested in this game at all.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    When #1 and #2 in your "deal makers" section are both "it's not that bad", you sure make it sound like you don't much like the game and will be sick of it sooner rather than later.
  • DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Quizzical said:
    When #1 and #2 in your "deal makers" section are both "it's not that bad", you sure make it sound like you don't much like the game and will be sick of it sooner rather than later.
    Would say, ppl should stick with BnS instead of time game. Only thing this game dose better, is its open world, and then feels like there are more players then you.

Where BnS is just a ladder game where you wait for PVE or PVP.
    Quizzical said:
    I say "It's not that bad" because I am trying to remain neutral as possible. I am not trying to say this game is the best one ever made. But it's far from the worst. Everyone hates on it because of what I feel to be petty reasons most the time. 
    Torval said:
    Quizzical said:
    I say "It's not that bad" because I am trying to remain neutral as possible. I am not trying to say this game is the best one ever made. But it's far from the worst. Everyone hates on it because of what I feel to be petty reasons most the time. 
    Don't remain neutral because it's not coming across that way. It's written and coming across as excusing mediocrity. Just be honest and discuss the feature or point. When you apologize for something in a review it makes it sound bad.
    People make anything sound bad anyway. I don't see the point in changing what I post just because someone who thinks the game is bad just because of some guys saying "It's P2W" would think it's bad just because I say "Not that Bad" on some points about the game. For some people it could be a Deal Maker or it could very well be something that turns them off. 
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176
    the combat is extremely bad

biggest dealbreaker.

• Suzi_SuccubusSuzi_Succubus Member UncommonPosts: 1
    peanutabc said:

biggest dealbreaker.

It is bad, but I think the biggest dealbreaker for me was when they released the early access version and STILL had not translated all the menus.  Not in game dialog from some boondocks npc.  Actual menus that the game asks you to explore at level 20.

That and premium only applies to one toon.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    A lot of your points are not only subjective, but any basic knowledge of any other MMO will show you're wrong.

If this game is a mix of Tera, Blade and Soul and Aion, how the HELL can you even consider it good in its current state? Saying that's full action like Tera as well? Did you play the game at all?
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    peanutabc said:

biggest dealbreaker.

It is bad, but I think the biggest dealbreaker for me was when they released the early access version and STILL had not translated all the menus.  Not in game dialog from some boondocks npc.  Actual menus that the game asks you to explore at level 20.

That and premium only applies to one toon.
    By premium do you mean a sub?  If that is what you meant.  Does that mean you have to sub for each character separately if you want to play alts?
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i didnt like the game. graphics seemed dated, not even as good as the 3-5 year old blade and soul.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    Asch126 said:
    A lot of your points are not only subjective, but any basic knowledge of any other MMO will show you're wrong.

If this game is a mix of Tera, Blade and Soul and Aion, how the HELL can you even consider it good in its current state? Saying that's full action like Tera as well? Did you play the game at all?
    Yes I played Tera, especially back when you had to BUY the game to play it. So there is that. If you use the Action Combat style and not Tab-Targeting the fighting is exactly like Tera. Dodge to the left, right, forward, or back when the red area appears and then smack the things with left click attacks. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Played alot of the Beta. and now i have been playing the game for the past many houres.!

I feel the stroy of the game is NOT there. I feel like the world is super linear. Its kinda not put weel together.

from lvl 0-30. i think i killed the same amount of mobs in WOW you do from lvl 1-5 :P 90% of your time is just run talk, and run talk. If that is not the case, its just Trial or Instance farm ::skull:

I really dont see why people where so hyped for this game.  Imo is revelation not a good game. Would even go so far and say Tera, BnS is alot better. 

There are so many mmo on the market atm. WOW,ESO,Tera,Bns and so on. and dont think RO get even close to thouse games sadly :(
    The on rails questing in the beginning is hard for me to take. I just hit lvl 21 and had to stop. It just gets to be to much for me. 
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    The Solution to the bot problem was to only allow Level 59 players to sell Aurum for Imperial Coins. However, the game cash shop is broken to the point some players pay but get nothing and are forced to send a support ticket. 

I just got my 20-day login achievement. 
    I have three characters at 58 and by the end of the week I know they will be 59 with full Excelsior and ready to go into 60. 20 days.... and there are already players in the server I am in at Level 64+.

The game has a World Age mechanism. 
    Every Five Levels there is a Tier. In order for the server to allow people to level into the new tier, enough players must reach the level max of the previous tier. 

For example. 
    In order to be allowed to reach Level 60, there had to be 400 players existing in the server for a week or so who were at Level 59. 

This is a game that at level 39+ the player has to click on a button to level to enter the tiers. If a player levels too fast, their lack of gear will rip them apart in the new tier and they will be sorry for it. 
  • VicusEQVicusEQ Member UncommonPosts: 103
    edited March 2017
    I came into this game a few weeks ago with no expectations.  Was a small download and F2P.  Now I feel like I have found a game for a long time.  Been playing MMO's since Ultima Online and while I have found games to keep me involved for the long haul (year +) none have felt this overwhelming to me...which is a good thing.  I am level 46 now and every level it's like they introduce something new that takes a lot of thought and time to master. 

This game brings some of the most fun aspects of games and combines it into one.  Aion's world/graphics.  The world of aion felt like I was playing the world of Avatar.  Not some basic thought up world like  the what would medieval times been like with magic!  The world of aion was different in every way, and revelation online feels the same but I will admit has some Ancient China feel to it also.  But for those who say the graphics are outdated I have no idea how you can say that.  There are not that many MMO's if any that set the graphical bar because MMO's are limited compared to single player games.  Revelation online with graphics turned up are beautiful.  HDR in this game is done better then any other MMO i've played.  The entire world can be seen in the distance really immersing you. The detail on the bosses are amazing.  The abilities each class has are graphic beast!  When unleashing a super ability I feel like I just conducted a finishing combo in Capcom Vs Marvel.  Whole area fills up with amazing detailed abilities.  Hopefully people making these comments arent sitting at 2/3 on their graphic sliders.  The combat of Tera but better (for me at least).  While Tera's combat was more if you dont move you are gonna get destroyed, it was extremely clunky.  Using an ability locked you in place and made you feel like you weren't in control.  Revelation combat allows you to move when needed while attacking and then use some of the bigger abilities at the right time.  Also the flying combat is done better then any other MMO period.  Opens up an entire new bar of abilities that you level up separately. 

Lastly, the movement abilities of City of Heroes.  Everyone probably by default compares the flying in this game to aion because of the wings.  Not me.  Aion's flying was BASIC.  You hit a button.  Go through the wing animation and then were allowed to fly around with a little turbo but mostly slow/medium flying.  Revelation feels like like almost all the super power movements in CoH/Cox (minus teleport).  Right from the start you can double tap forward to run with super speed.  You can double jump and glide over long distances.  If feels like CoH superspeed to me.  Then you get flying and its the same thing.  Feels like you have super jump/flying ability but with more control.  You wanna dive extremely fast and pull up at the last minute you can.  You wanna roll left or right you can.  You wanna jump off a cliff and activate your wings last minute you can.  Whats best is the wing animation doesn't lock you in...it transitions right away never stopping your movement.  Its fluid as can be. 

It's online in open beta.  Lots to fix no doubt but the backbone of the game is just plan fun.  Dungeons have extremely detail and aren't mind numbingly long.  The daily activities hit all aspects, pvp/guild/solo/group.

The first 40 levels are like a super tutorial and it is intended that way.  They have to.  This game just has a lot more going on then most games do.  It takes 40 levels just to get everything thrown at you.  Flying, crafting, guild halls, trials, dungeons, skills, inventory spots, mounts, factions, intimacy (perfect when you play MMO's with your wife/girlfriend),ect. 

This is all just my opinion but for me the game is just fun.  Heck I hate the questing model in these types of MMO's but I enjoy it in revelation online because I feel like I am turn in quest all the time which makes me feel like I am progressing.  Some games you go 30+ minutes before you see your exp bar move.  It's non-stop in Revelation which really motivates me to play.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    VicusEQ said:
    I came into this game a few weeks ago with no expectations.  Was a small download and F2P.  Now I feel like I have found a game for a long time.  Been playing MMO's since Ultima Online and while I have found games to keep me involved for the long haul (year +) none have felt this overwhelming to me...which is a good thing.  I am level 46 now and every level it's like they introduce something new that takes a lot of thought and time to master. 

Good to hear. I am also enjoying the game.
  • ElSargentoElSargento Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Pros: Its a remake of Jade Dynasty with superior graphics and a bit of GW2 (guilds).

Cons: It does not have the Esper system nor the fighting pets as JD. Proly will never be fully translated (same as JD). P2win (same as JD). In contains all the complexity and endless leveling subystems as previous creations of Perfect World, JD and others.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    So I am actually curious about this game because I was thinking about giving it a try, but Everyone is telling me this game sucks, that there is really no Mobs or PVE, the game is lacking a lot of content it should have...

And I was reading Reddit earlier and hear that a lot of peoples accounts got compromised as well as double and tripple purchases when someone purchased the in game items and when the company charged back automatically they would end up banned?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RevelationMMO/comments/61zx14/psa_do_not_buy_aurom_from_mycom/

Anyone know anything about this?
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Renoaku said:
    So I am actually curious about this game because I was thinking about giving it a try, but Everyone is telling me this game sucks, that there is really no Mobs or PVE, the game is lacking a lot of content it should have...

And I was reading Reddit earlier and hear that a lot of peoples accounts got compromised as well as double and tripple purchases when someone purchased the in game items and when the company charged back automatically they would end up banned?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RevelationMMO/comments/61zx14/psa_do_not_buy_aurom_from_mycom/

I'm actually one of the few that actually really like this game. But My.com is really making it hard to keep up the spirit. 

For those that don't know about 2 weeks ago, many accounts started to get hacked.

Over the 2 weeks thousands of players have had their accounts hacked,  there aurum (real life cash shop currency) drained from the accounts, multiple charges on there bank statements from my.com, as well as valid transactions being red flagged with My.com's security system. Accounts are now being being banned because of it. 

No mention from my.com, if you talk about it on the forums you get an auto ban and the post is usually removed by the moderator. 

This post was just locked but you can see how frustrated players are becoming. 

https://ro.my.com/forum/thread/43813-10-year-banned-update-thread/?pageNo=1&s=4d4b6b15635d0518d7276f2b737a37b21ca1444c
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    DMKano said:
    Renoaku said:

I stay away from my.com games as their support for billing type issues is abysmal.

Pretty Much

If you get hacked, your account gets banned, and good luck to ever getting any support. The support from this company is absolutely trash. They'll deny anything you have an issue with. So you are not going to get help at all. Do not expect it. You give this company money and they wont help you. Even if you provide screen shots.
  • gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Bought this game and really want to play it but every time I update the thing floods my router my internet kicks out until i restart everything.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

I have to agree with this. I got a character to lvl 40 and i just don't get the hype. I have an idea that its because nothing else has come out and its new.