Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Without Women - Your Day May Be a Bit Quieter Today - General News

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I'm looking forward to International Man's Day .... brothers unite!
    But of course you realize , if they have the Womens Day , then the Mens day , they will be required to have the ....  I am Confused and Dont Know which Bathroom to use Day... Im not sure on the name tho ...
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Leiloni said:
    Quizzical said:
    Keep it civil, or the banhammer comes out.
    That you felt the need to warn about this in the very first reply is a blinking neon sign warning that the article shouldn't have existed.
    Agreed. There's something about gaming journalists in general across a lot of sites, that makes them feel like they can post political stuff and that people actually want to read it. I enjoy games to escape politics and real life. Can we go back to just being about gaming here?
    Shame they redirect your browser and force you to read and participate in this thread then.

Oh wait...they don't... ;)

You make your own hells folks, but I'll never understand why people think they need to keep others from discussing unpleasant or controversial subjects. (well, except for P2W, we can stop talking about that) :)
    If those of us who disagree never speak up, then people like this will go on continuing to believe they speak for the majority.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Nilden said:
    I don't think this article needs to be on this site. The same way you don't need one for international mens day because gaming isn't about gender.
    This.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's an international thing and there are many places in the world still routinely killing and mutilating women for being women. Focus on that instead of giving yourselves a holiday if you actually want to do something meaningful with the day. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    Leiloni said:
    Quizzical said:
    That you felt the need to warn about this in the very first reply is a blinking neon sign warning that the article shouldn't have existed.
    Agreed. There's something about gaming journalists in general across a lot of sites, that makes them feel like they can post political stuff and that people actually want to read it. I enjoy games to escape politics and real life. Can we go back to just being about gaming here?
    Shame they redirect your browser and force you to read and participate in this thread then.

You make your own hells folks, but I'll never understand why people think they need to keep others from discussing unpleasant or controversial subjects. (well, except for P2W, we can stop talking about that) :)
    If those of us who disagree never speak up, then people like this will go on continuing to believe they speak for the majority.
    Isn't that a two way street? One could just look at the article, realize you are not the target audience and move on.

People do that everyday.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Face Palm... Bill, I know you once expressed that you just "like to watch the world burn", but might one suggest that you not stir the pot with a backhoe? =)
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    edited March 2017
    The fact that so many of you are actually offended by this article speaks volumes to your characters. 
    I think that if your first inclination when you disagree with someone is to engage in ad hominem attacks instead of discussing the issue, it says quite a bit more about you than it does about them.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Meh. All the women in my office showed up today, this whole deal is getting a lot more press than it deserves in reality. And by that, I mean there are 40+ women in the office. Same with all the other companies in the building. Protesting is for when you are in college, have no job, and "know everything." And then you grow up.
    Sovrath said:
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    Leiloni said:
    Quizzical said:

Isn't that a two way street? One could just look at the article, realize you are not the target audience and move on.

People do that everyday.
    This is a website about MMORPG and RPG games. What does this article have to do with any of that?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Leiloni said:
    Sovrath said:
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    Leiloni said:
    Quizzical said:

People do that everyday.
    This is a website about MMORPG and RPG games. What does this article have to do with any of that?
     No more than articles about any other topic besides the two you listed including MOBAs, card games, shooters, ARPGs or Pokemon Go.

I rarely read anything about those topics, no interest.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Wraithone said:
    Face Palm... Bill, I know you once expressed that you just "like to watch the world burn", but might one suggest that you not stir the pot with a backhoe? =)
    It's one of the site's periodic tests of its viewers.

Failed again. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Leiloni said:
    Sovrath said:
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    Leiloni said:
    Quizzical said:

People do that everyday.
    Great! Good Point!

Except it's their website. So ask them.

I'm sure it wasn't thrown up there without at least some thought. Maybe they thought it was pertinent to games because men and women both play games at the same time. Maybe its pertinent because there are a lot of accusations of sexism in games and game development?

I don't know I'm not them. But it's their site and they put it up. I can either live with it or not. I personally think this day doesn't really do anything positive because it's not going to change people's minds and just create backlash.

However, as I've said, I'm not an annoyed person. if a person or group feels they want to march or stand on a podium that's ok with me.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

edited March 2017
    Elsabolts said:
    Sigh " I can remember a day when Woman cleaned house cooked dinner and had babies for a life style" I miss the good ole days.
    They still do, just have to work a 40 hour weekly job as well.

Oh yeah, no more dead weight sitting at home spending all my money

These really are the best of times right? ;)

(if my wife of 34 years is reading this....
    Just kidding dear)   :p

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I honestly don't know which of the gamers I play with are men or women.  I don't base it on their avatar, and I really don't get to know them much outside of basic conversation.  

I've learned from my past experiences that it's best not to assume.  I don't play games to find women.  As far as I'm concerned all you women are guys... having a day where you don't play isn't going to effect me at all.

But that's also a weird idea in general... " a day without women"  means we won't see them in games? Or work?  Or ...  what?  I mean what are they supposed to do with their day if we're not supposed to be seeing them in the things that they (most often) enjoy doing?

• MorpayneMorpayne Member UncommonPosts: 21
    My mom fired 2 women who expressed their desire to participate earlier in the week and were told they were expected to come into work. I'm reminded of that Chapelle Show skit "when keepin it real goes wrong". 
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Does gender equality mean if a women disrespects me I should respond the same way I would to a man?
    Sovrath said:
    Leiloni said:
    Quizzical said:
    Just because you don't want to read it doesn't mean others don't. You could just opt "not to read it".

I don't believe in "escaping real life". Sorry, I don't. Real life is always there and I believe in an integration of everything so that everything can be kept in perspective. I'm ok with "fluff pieces" in my news and I'm ok with serious pieces in my fluff sites.

Now, does that mean I'm going to be marching in "day without women" activities? No, not really. But I'm ok that others want do do this and feel they need to do this.

The world has so many things that I don't care about or that don't pertain to me. I "could" be annoyed and throw a fit or be pissy whenever I come across something that is not about me or I could just say "that's about others" and move on.

Do you ever read and comment on an article that you don't agree with? I bet you that you do. Telling her to just "opt to not read it" would probably go against thousands of your comments here. First, practice what you preach. 

I'm going to celebrate this day by playing my favorite games. "Gaming Without Women" ha!
    Great day to fire up EVE, women hate that one so it should almost be no different. ;)

Wait, most other gamers hate EVE...er nm.

edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Sigh " I can remember a day when Woman cleaned house cooked dinner and had babies for a life style" I miss the good ole days.

I remember in my early twenties I had met a young woman who was very old fashioned. She was from the South.

We were in a Taxi with friends and we were talking and she said to me, all serious like in her lyrical Southern accent: "I don't understand what's wrong with me wanting to stay home and cook and clean for my man?"

I was a bit incredulous but told her "nothing, nothing at all".

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Elsabolts said:

I remember in my early twenties I had met a young woman who was very old fashioned. She was from the South.

We were in a Taxi with friends and we were talking and she said to me, all serious like in her lyrical Southern accent: "I don't understand what's wrong with me wanting to stay home and cook and clean for my man?"

I was a bit incredulous but told her "nothing, nothing at all".

I guess that depends on if you've tried her cooking. 

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    DMKano said:
    strykr619 said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:
    There's plenty of men acting like females on video games you wont notice.

But in all seriousness. Women are very important and I'm glad they got equal rights. Problem is now men are being discriminated against in the workforce as a result. But thats for another time and day.

Umm women dont have equal rights, not even close.

Men dont either, at least not all men.

Inequality and discrimination happens to almost everyone, however some especially in specific parts of the world are FAR worse off.

But saying that women having equal rights is just painfully wrong - unless you are ignoring large parts of the world.

Usually when people talk equal rights they mean the west. You can't do anything about everywhere else unless they have oil.

while west has equal rights - just how equal are they in reality?

I think we still have ways to go.
    Nothing can ever truly be equal

Math disagrees with your statement.

Math is something, right?

Math is a language.  Math is something like Portuguese is something.  Math is not a thing it is crated by people to help understand/explain the world around us. 

Also I think his "nothing" refers to the interactions of mass amounts of people in our actual societal structures. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    MMOman101 said:
    DMKano said:
    strykr619 said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

But in all seriousness. Women are very important and I'm glad they got equal rights. Problem is now men are being discriminated against in the workforce as a result. But thats for another time and day.

Inequality and discrimination happens to almost everyone, however some especially in specific parts of the world are FAR worse off.

But saying that women having equal rights is just painfully wrong - unless you are ignoring large parts of the world.

Usually when people talk equal rights they mean the west. You can't do anything about everywhere else unless they have oil.

Math is a language.  Math is something like Portuguese is something.  Math is not a thing it is crated by people to help understand/explain the world around us. 

Also I think his "nothing" refers to the interactions of mass amounts of people in our actual societal structures. 

Math is the language of the Universe.

If we ever come into contact with an Alien Race, we'll communicate with math.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Anyway this is a terrible idea.  There is no real chance that intelligent and meaningful conversation will happen.  If people wanted to have a meaningful conversation the limitations of the site preclude it from happening. 

The reality is this is a very complex issue and there are people who spend their entire lives studying it.  the actual intelligent and useful discussions are going to exceed the character limit of the site.  Furthermore, the likelihood that there is enough population density that is knowable enough to create intelligent meaningful discourse is extremely low. 

When you create these you probably do more harm than good. 

Firstly, people are given a place where they can type misinformation or extremely sloppy thoughts.  Others who are uneducated on the topic may believe them.

Secondly, most people are more likely to be entrenched by conflict.  Since no real intelligent conversation is going to happen there is a greater change that people will see someone agree with them and stick their belief (become more dogmatic).

Thirdly, the value of the conversation here will be garbage so it will add nothing to the overarching discussion. 

Fourthly, if the goal was just to make people aware, there would be no need to allow comments at all and the "article" would be filled with helpful links to multiple points of view. 

Fifthly, people who are educated and want to have intelligent conversation on this will have it in more appropriate venues. 

So, if you are not going to add to the intellectual debate or do a good job of informing people where is the actual value?  The answer is you may get a few extra clicks and make another two bits.  I hardly think the possible gain is proportionate to the possible harm (misinforming even one person). 

If you feel a social responsibility to publish these can you please do it in a more construct manner.  Meaning take the time to find useful information and link said information.  Not allowing conversation for at least 2 days so people can have some time to educate themselves and formulate intelligent responses.  The off the cuff nonsense is not helpful or useful.  It just furthers the overarching problems we have in the US; could be other places too but I am not knowledgeable enough to know. 

Thanks for your time. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited March 2017
    Grakulen said:
    Nilden said:
    I posted that link as a simple answer to an overly complex question. Posting one video from a vapid teen on youtube doesn't dismiss the problem that discrimination exists.

Have you heard of second generation gender bias? 

Are you aware how unequal child care leave policies can force mothers to choose between their career or children and expect fathers to be the earner while the mother stays home on leave with a kid. The father may want to stay home and the mother go back to work but they can't because of the unbalanced leave policies. There is still "legal" issues out there. It's not all malicious either. Some of it just "is" and it slowly being corrected but work still needs to be done.

You should also ask.

Why do men and women work different jobs?

Why do they work different hours?
    Or we can talk about how physical requirements for certain jobs are lowered for women so they qualify.  Therefore you have someone as a lifeguard or paramedic who cannot even lift the patient.  Meanwhile the person who can do the job is overlooked because there was 50 people applying that couldn't even do it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    laserit said:
    MMOman101 said:
    DMKano said:
    strykr619 said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

Math is the language of the Universe.

If we ever come into contact with an Alien Race, we'll communicate with math.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Mathematics_Comes_From

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html

Are some examples. 

Much like this thread there is reason to even try to have an intelligent conversation about this here, so I will step away.  Agree to disagree. 

--John Ruskin

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Just so that I'm understanding, the feminist movement has spent decades trying to get equal opportunities at work, stores, cars, voting...etc and the protest is for women to stay home?  Am I understanding this correctly.

I self identify as a monkey.

This discussion has been closed.