Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I play ESO? and why do you?

Comments

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    If you try and play other current mmos, then it's no mystery.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I play ESO for the freedom.  Its the closest thing to an Online RPG sandbox that I think I will get.  For me, there isn't much I DON'T like about this game, but in particular I love the customization.  The ability to build my character the way I want is refreshing.  The world is beautiful and varied making it fun to actually explore which is rewarded with hidden quests and loot.  And so far I actually like the combat.  Not so action oriented like Dragons Nest or a FPS but enough that you have to aim and focus making it a bit more engaging. I also love the quests. While its not Pulitzer writing, its enough to veil the MMO mechanics to add to the immersion and tied to the lore.  Wow for example, has great lore but I find the quest writing horrible.

Now they just added housing. And Morrowind (built for the original game height map) in June ... I have no reason to play anything else.  I've found my home. 

see.. I agree with YOU!   ESO is like a themeparksandbox and it is AWESOME!   others say it isn't sandboxy, but what do they know.  I ask them why and they always spout some stupid definition that doesn't make sense.

I know it is sandbox because I find stuff and craft with it and make stuff I am positive nobody else has EVER made, then I use it or sell it or just drop it like I don't care.

I explore and find new parts all the time... it is a sandbox with a little themepark like my main quest line.

Screw all the disbelievers... there aren't many of them and they are all single player title players anyway so their personalities suck. 

ESO is packed with peepz, it is ranked high on MMORPG.com, there are billions of people playing it and it is fun... duh!

oh... oh... and did I mention that I... me... moi and the Savior Of Davon's Watch!   nobody else did that!

Sz  :)
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    We need to play together.  Im Jokerchyld on PC NA.  Look me up.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm playing it for the time being.  It really is a dull no risk reward experience but there is nothing else out there that isn't 6+ years old and already played. 

Positives

Controls (mouselook etc)
    gfx are pretty good
    lots of content
    thieves guild/dark brotherhood offer a tiny bit of risk vs reward
    character building

I know OP didn't ask for these but they are significant and shouldn't be ignored 
    Negatives

not free aim combat (arrows/spells shouldn't heat seek around corners)
    story focus 
    no risk vs reward for the most part
    universal boring ass loot tables
    very little solo challenge and then when you try to solo group content the loot is not better.  Group dungeons, even the trash should drop better loot, should offer a reward for the risk.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I play ESO because:

1 - Zenimax Online have crafted a world with an incredible amount of depth and attention to detail. Exploring the world, you come across locations that are just there, and tell a story without a word of dialogue. There's no quest line associated with them, no task to be completed. They're just signs of life, and civilization, left behind by others you may or may not ever meet. The world doesn't exist for you. It exists despite you, and would go on whether you existed or not. 

2 - Well written and voice-acted storylines that can evoke a range of emotions unlike I've seen in a MMO in a very long time. Encounters and story arcs have left me laughing, or sad, or pissed off.

I hit a point in the main story arc earlier today that I *hate* because it requires me to make a choice I *don't* want to have to make - those who've finished the original story arc probably know exactly what part I'm talking about - though I won't spoil it for anyone else. I actually sat here saying "No. No way. I hate this". 

You also see the consequences of your actions. I made a choice in another side-quest that left me feeling sad when I saw the results of it some time later, knowing that outcome was the direct result of my actions... and I could have chosen differently.

Few single-player/offline RPGs, much less MMORPGs have ever drawn me in to the point where I've actually given a crap about what was going on, or felt anything for the characters. But holy cow has ESO done it, and on a number of occasions before.

3 - Internally Consistent - All dialogue, jokes, metaphors and such are grounded in Tamriel/Nirn. No, lazy, corny real-life cultural references, like "Haris Pilton" from WoW, or "Leviabeetus" from FFXIV. ESO's writers do an awesome job. Characters say more in 3 or 4 lines of dialogue than most characters in FFXIV do in several long-winded paragraphs.

When I play a fantasy game I want to be drawn into it, like I would a good book or movie. The care and consistency applied to ESO, in its world design, its writing and so on makes it very easy to suspend disbelief and "live" in Tamriel for a while.

4 - Fantastic character customization and development. The number of skill lines available, and how you can mix skills from them is almost overwhelming. Same goes for gear. Between being able to mix Light, Medium and Heavy pieces, combining pieces from different named sets for applicable set bonuses, the range of traits you can apply, the sigils you can use, and the ability to upgrade each piece... a player could get lost experimenting with different sets and combinations. 

5 - A great crafting system that provides players with a huge array of styles and types to choose from, allowing them to create the exact look they want. I think there's something like 41 motifs/styles you can learn and craft in currently. And each motif looks a bit different depending on the tier of material used.

6 - All in all, ESO is one of an extremely short list of modern titles I feel truly deserves to be called a MMORPG, and not just a MMO.

ESO taking the top spot in the "Best Overall MMO" category for last year, by such a large margin, was not a goof. Zenimax have really turned this title around since its launch. Is it perfect? No. Of course not. But overall, for my money, they are kicking ass. They get it. And I am enjoying every moment of it.
    This was a really in depth review from your personal experience.  I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this.  It was an interesting read.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited March 2017
    There are two ESO games and it all depends on which one you play.

The 3rd person perspective one which is a very respectable solid mmo.
    or
    The 1st person perspective one which is the most immersive mmo I've ever played.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Mardukk said:
    I'm playing it for the time being.  It really is a dull no risk reward experience but there is nothing else out there that isn't 6+ years old and already played. 

Positives

Controls (mouselook etc)
    gfx are pretty good
    lots of content
    thieves guild/dark brotherhood offer a tiny bit of risk vs reward
    character building

I know OP didn't ask for these but they are significant and shouldn't be ignored 
    Negatives

story focus 
    very little solo challenge and then when you try to solo group content the loot is not better.  Group dungeons, even the trash should drop better loot, should offer a reward for the risk.

its not 'heat-seeking'... its called Magicka... duh

Sz  :o)
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    shenfrey said:
    Mate tried to get me into this on PS4, got to max level. Seems like a cool game but I couldn't handle the god awful framerate. 30fps cap and dips to what feels like single digits during some instances such as PvP. If I was to try this again I would definitely pick it up on PC. 
    PC is much smoother as far as FPS. i play on xb1 and pc and its night and day difference

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Its a quality game. A lot of work and money has been put into it.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Nice people are having fun in ESO.  Other mmos people are only there for bragging-rights.

LOL

oh... and what add is that in the bottom right corner with the keeps and resources and stuff?

Sz  :)
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    shenfrey said:
    I play it because game is as close to "sandbox" level of freedom as possible in a themepark.

I can pick a direction and find something to do. I can randomly decide "Meh, bored of the forest, I'll move to another zone". And then I can click on any zone on the map and progress.

The game is very easy and casual friendly and I don't have to theorycraft a build to have fun. Unless I want to do Hard Modes and veteran trials, in which case I do.

If I want to I can be pink-skirt-wearing heavy armour argonian nightbalde who tanks using a restoration staff. I probably won't tank anything more than a Normal dungeon, but I can as long as I equip the Undaunted Inner Fire. And in most other themeparks I can't.
    I suppose when you put it like that, this game is more of a sandbox mmo.

Lol, nothing sandbox about the game. 

shenfrey said:
    I play it because game is as close to "sandbox" level of freedom as possible in a themepark.

I can pick a direction and find something to do. I can randomly decide "Meh, bored of the forest, I'll move to another zone". And then I can click on any zone on the map and progress.

The game is very easy and casual friendly and I don't have to theorycraft a build to have fun. Unless I want to do Hard Modes and veteran trials, in which case I do.

If I want to I can be pink-skirt-wearing heavy armour argonian nightbalde who tanks using a restoration staff. I probably won't tank anything more than a Normal dungeon, but I can as long as I equip the Undaunted Inner Fire. And in most other themeparks I can't.

its pretty sandy
  • IkatsuIkatsu Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I really don't understand ESO. I had fun until I hit a wall at level 15 where there were no quests even remotely close to my level and no path was even suggested on where I could go. I spent maybe 2 hours looking for somewhere to level up without grinding and found absolutely nothing so I'd be an asshole to give this glaringly flawed game the time of day.
    Ikatsu said:
    I really don't understand ESO. I had fun until I hit a wall at level 15 where there were no quests even remotely close to my level and no path was even suggested on where I could go. I spent maybe 2 hours looking for somewhere to level up without grinding and found absolutely nothing so I'd be an asshole to give this glaringly flawed game the time of day.

LOL... no way!  WTF?  this kind of stuff just cracks me up.  ROFLMAO... my friend's kid (7) finds quests everywhere... there are like a billion quests... it is claustrophobic there are SO many quest givers.

do you have the right game?  maybe you're playing minecraft?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    The biggest negative I can give about this game

Console/PC aren't cross-server, and require separate subscriptions.

When I first tried this game, back in Open Beta, I hated it. I ended up picking it up on sale a while back before One Tameril, and still not really touching it - got to a point where I was stuck in level, needed to grind quests to move on, and got bored.

I picked it back up recently, started with a new character, and now that I can play it well on a gamepad and just wander doing whatever, I find it's a lot of fun. PS4 version does suffer a bit in framerates, but is still playable for me, and I enjoy it more on the console than I do the PC actually.

I'm still not max level anywhere, but that hasn't prevented me from completing the main storyline and getting started on some of the DLCs already.
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Ikatsu said:
    I cry troll.

Your scenario is not even remotely possible in One Tamriel where every area is scaled to your level. You can literally go to any zone and the quests/mobs will all appear appropriate to your level while your buddy who has +10 levels on you sees mobs appropriate to his level.  Oh and you can actually play together.  Novel.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I'm having the hardest time enjoying character progression and combat properly because of the awful, AWFUL weapon switching mechanic.

It feels like a serious design concession based on console controller limitations.

Is there some way to deal with it except getting used to it?
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DKLond said:
    I'm having the hardest time enjoying character progression and combat properly because of the awful, AWFUL weapon switching mechanic.

It feels like a serious design concession based on console controller limitations.

Is there some way to deal with it except getting used to it?

I think you just have to get used to it. Its actually much smoother to change weapons now than it was at launch, but it still doesn't feel as intuitive to me as how GW2 does it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mardukk said:
    <snip>
    Negatives

story focus 

If you find any "not free aim combat" you could report it. By and large and on the whole you will not hit something around a corner.

Story focus. Whilst you can play ESO just for the PvP say it is firmly rooted in story - and wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game if it wasn't. Many, many months of voiced quests.

And when it comes to risk ESO is no different to other games; there is no perma-death. 

Loot tables - they differ by zone and activity and you could say there is a lot of gear options - but yeah like other games.

Solo challenge? Have you done the solo trials? It will get boring repeating it of course but they are not "easy". Soloing world bosses - some yes, others are ... yeah.

As far as soloing group dungeons go though it needs saying that "most people" will not be soloing these. I assume by group dungeons you mean the 4 person instances and not delves or group dungeons? And not the ones in Craglorn for that matter. Yes well developed, (very) high level, well played characters can do some of the 4 person dungeons but for most players. For most players that would be a challenge. You also have heroic mode and 12 persons as well.

Understand your comment about dropping better loot if you do a 4 person solo but conversely why should there be a different loot table!
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    shenfrey said:

honestly, have you ever played this game after beta or even at all? 
    SaunZ said:
    Ikatsu said:

LOL... no way!  WTF?  this kind of stuff just cracks me up.  ROFLMAO... my friend's kid (7) finds quests everywhere... there are like a billion quests... it is claustrophobic there are SO many quest givers.

do you have the right game?  maybe you're playing minecraft?
    HILARIOUS! so many of these people that love to hate on ESO but they don't know a lot about it, it's kind of bizarre but funny at the same time.

if you have not played it since one tamriel, you really have no legitimate opinion about this game, it's just changed too much since beta.
    gervaise1 said:
    Mardukk said:
    <snip>
    Negatives

story focus 

If you find any "not free aim combat" you could report it. By and large and on the whole you will not hit something around a corner.

Story focus. Whilst you can play ESO just for the PvP say it is firmly rooted in story - and wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game if it wasn't. Many, many months of voiced quests.

And when it comes to risk ESO is no different to other games; there is no perma-death. 

Loot tables - they differ by zone and activity and you could say there is a lot of gear options - but yeah like other games.

Solo challenge? Have you done the solo trials? It will get boring repeating it of course but they are not "easy". Soloing world bosses - some yes, others are ... yeah.

As far as soloing group dungeons go though it needs saying that "most people" will not be soloing these. I assume by group dungeons you mean the 4 person instances and not delves or group dungeons? And not the ones in Craglorn for that matter. Yes well developed, (very) high level, well played characters can do some of the 4 person dungeons but for most players. For most players that would be a challenge. You also have heroic mode and 12 persons as well.

Understand your comment about dropping better loot if you do a 4 person solo but conversely why should there be a different loot table!
    yeah i can't think of any current MMO that has decent risk vs reward and a lot of it is due to the players bitching to no end, that is why MMO's tend to get easier over time after they launch, not harder.

hopefully pantheon will deliver in that regard, even though i have my doubts.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    SOLO, very few moments when there is a group unless you join a pointless raid for Dolman's ZERG FEST in which things die very very fast.

Yes you can build your character the way you want to and play the way you want, but not so much in group content.

Weapon swapping is no where near as good as GW2 needs a lot of work or just scrap it.

Dungeons so far have been fun(with the right group) and sloppy(making it worst than Aion):
    • Hybrid Healers aka (The Buddy Fucker) needing to DPS and heal forgetting about the TANK!
    • DPS out of healing range they die complain the healer can't heal.
    • DPS aka (The Buddy Fuckers) tagging everything Healer aggros they die. People complain Tank is not aggroing mobs.
    • Tank AOE Threat is a joke, single target is not broken at least oh... wait see below
    • DPS/Hybrid Healers use Heavy Attack on their Icestaff pulling aggro from Tank and complain the tank can't tank.
    • LOS such a useful strategy...NO...everyone wasn't to faceroll everything and wonder why they keep dying.
    • 600cp player wants to faceroll everything quits because lvl 23 players can't keep up with him/her
    • lvl 23 players want to faceroll as if he was on his main 600cp quits cause we are not killing stuff fast enough.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Cause people crazy.