Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game dead before it even started?

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'm not a graphics junky but this game is way too clunky for 2007, let alone 2017. It's honestly a miracle they haven't declared this vaporware by now. I'll be sure to toss them some cash right after I'm done supporting Pathfinder Online.

Kappa
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    IceAge said:

Glad you two lost 1.5k together. I mean, if you had a different approach , well ... maybe I wouldn't say nothing , but .. "I spent over a grand on the game before it became clear they would never follow through. Did I cry about the monetary loss? No. $1000 is chump change. Who cares?" it's .. P A T E T H I C . 
    Ah...now it becomes clearer. You're one of those people who wants anyone with money to feel guilty about having it. You just can't comprehend that to some of us $500 or $1000 is pocket change. I'll bet your favorite phrase the past three years was "the 99%".

Time to move on. Go cry about your situation to someone else.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i crowd funded the game and the combat sucks,its old school boring combat.
    if it only looked like the combat of skyrim at least!
    Aori said:
    mikeb0817 said:
     - this whole thing is a pet project for Lord Brit and Starr Long to keep paychecks coming in while they pretend to still be relevant in an industry that left them in the dust 15 years ago.
    Nailed it.

Same goes for Chris Roberts, Todd Coleman, Gordon Walton, Mark Jacobs, and John Smedley. Drain the swamp!
    What did Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton do to you?
    How interesting (and informative) you would pick those two in particular from the list...

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited February 2017
    Aori, I'm not sure how anyone could see they are pushing the genre forward. Using exclusively cheap and free unity assets to build the entire game (while selling those cheap and free assets to people in the add-on store after they alter them a little for outrageous prices) and letting one guy (Chris Spears) who has basically 0 experience with developing a successful combat system let alone anything else related to mmorpg's unless you count the failed Tabula Rasa and failed app games he was working on before Sota, is a far cry from pushing the genre forward by leaps and bounds.

Letting Chris Spears experiment for years on end with his s***** pet project of a combat system because he thinks it's a great idea and will somehow make him famous (it'll be famous alright, the worse combat system in gaming history, lol) , is utter stupidity and suicide for Sota. Darkstarr and RG are just as bad as Spears because they haven't managed the game and money it's gotten from the start well at all. They're cashing in the pay checks and doing their begathons and milking what's left of the backers before the game goes into release (which was really in July 2016), before  masses rip it to shreds and crush it in reviews, then they move on to the next scam.

There's nothing new or exciting that this game brings into the genre...for mmorpg's or rpg's. It looks and plays like some newbie wannabe's first time gaming project. It's that bad....even Project Gorgon on their super low low budget is better than this piece of crap Sota.

S***** combat - Check
    S***** graphics - Check
    S***** grind system - Check
    S***** gathering system- Check -- another grind here painfully slow even with best gear and potions.
    S***** pvp system - Check
    S***** long loading screens - Check  You'll spend most of your time in loading screens as you travel across the overhead map going into and out of scenes and cities. Don't plan on getting much else done during your play session.  There's not much else to do but grind and sit in loading screens in this game.
    S***** small areas to hunt - Check -- 
    S***** agriculture system - Check  -- another grind here
    S***** fishing system - Check
    S***** story - Check
    S***** quest - Check
    S***** everything else, would take too long to list.
    The list goes on and on and on.

You get the idea it's just plain laziness from top to bottom with these people that are completely clueless how to do anything but do begathons and charge stupidly insane prices for add-on store items. Just take a look at the prices for crap in their add-on store if you need a giggle first thing in the morning lol.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Rawyn said:
    Aori, I'm not sure how anyone could see they are pushing the genre forward. Using exclusively cheap and free unity assets to build the entire game (while selling those cheap and free assets to people in the add-on store after they alter them a little for outrageous prices) and letting one guy (Chris Spears) who has basically 0 experience with developing a successful combat system let alone anything else related to mmorpg's unless you count the failed Tabula Rasa and failed app games he was working on before Sota, is a far cry from pushing the genre forward by leaps and bounds.

Letting Chris Spears experiment for years on end with his s***** pet project of a combat system because he thinks it's a great idea and will somehow make him famous (it'll be famous already, the worse combat system in gaming history, lol) , is utter stupidity and suicide for Sota. Darkstarr and RG are just as bad as Spears because they haven't managed the game and money it's gotten from the start well at all. They're cashing in the pay checks and doing their begathons and milking what's left of the backers before the game goes into release (which was really in July 2016), before  masses rip it to shreds and crush it in reviews, then they move on to the next scam.

There's nothing new or exciting that this game brings into the genre...for mmorpg's or rpg's. It looks and plays like some newbie wannabe's first time gaming project. It's that bad....even Project Gorgon on their super low low budget is better than this piece of crap Sota.

S***** combat - Check
    S***** graphics - Check
    S***** gathering system- Check -- another grind here painfully slow even with best gear and potions.
    S***** long loading screens - Check  You'll spend most of your time in loading screens as you travel across the overhead map going into and out of scenes and cities. Don't plan on getting much else done during your play session.  There's not much else to do but grind and sit in loading screens in this game.
    S***** story - Check
    S***** quest - Check

You get the idea it's just plain laziness from top to bottom with these people that are completely clueless how to do anything but do begathons and charge stupidly insane prices for add-on store items. Just take a look at the prices for crap in their add-on store if you need a giggle first thing in the morning lol.
    It's going to be okay.  It's all going to be okay.  Breathe.
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited February 2017
    Rawyn said:

Letting Chris Spears experiment for years on end with his s***** pet project of a combat system because he thinks it's a great idea and will somehow make him famous (it'll be famous already, the worse combat system in gaming history, lol) , is utter stupidity and suicide for Sota. Darkstarr and RG are just as bad as Spears because they haven't managed the game and money it's gotten from the start well at all. They're cashing in the pay checks and doing their begathons and milking what's left of the backers before the game goes into release (which was really in July 2016), before  masses rip it to shreds and crush it in reviews, then they move on to the next scam.

S***** combat - Check
    S***** graphics - Check
    S***** story - Check
    S***** quest - Check

Dude, I'm fine, I got out before this thing went live in July 2016 and sold my account which only left me with the base acct I had because I linked it to steam. I just don't want others to get suckered into wasting thier money on this piece of crap game. They stifle reviews and comments on their forums and on steam to try and hide all these problems. They even have the high rollers that have rose colored glasses that admit they go to steam and other sites to boost their reviews to sucker more people into buying this game. 
    edited February 2017
    Rawyn said:

S***** combat - Check
    S***** graphics - Check
    S***** story - Check
    S***** quest - Check

Which has nothing to do with the fact that he's right. 

I can tell you're one of the SotA fanboys. You use inane attempts at humor to respond to any criticism of the game. 

Its been the M.O. on the SotA forums for years now. At least you guys are consistent.
    Post edited by postlarval on

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Boy, Albion online dead before it started; Revelation dead before it started, not this before it started.  Can we just... just give a guy a chance and get along.

I self identify as a monkey.

• mercstermercster Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Volgore said:
    What is it with NPC conversations being displayed in the chat frame?

I don't know much about that game...too little to be even called a hater, but this is as lazy as it gets.

Obviously you're not a golfer.  This hearkens back to very ancient video games where instead of clicking on canned responses, you actually get to type out a conversation with NPCs.  It's more immersive.  It's not working great right now, but don't bash something just because you don't understand it.
    Rawyn said:
    That's what you can expect from this game. Laziness. It's never had focused development, it's been mismanaged from the start, it's never been about quality, and they continue to do what they did for the kickstarter, with throwing cheap bought unity assets into the game, while sprucing those  assets they bought up a bit and reselling them on the add on store.

It's a team of less than 40 people.  And $10M is not a huge amount to make a MMO.  Calm down please!
    The reviews are brutal.  Not with complaints about the lack of PvP but just the game mechanics being terrible and sometimes those who spent a lot of money on the game being elitist.  Yep, sounds like an alpha but a bad alpha.
    You must not be following the game or the forums; they have added to PVP immensely, so much so that the non-PVP people are now complaining it's too much of a PVP game!  Most people who view this game negatively have no idea how to follow the development of a project in action.

Now, was this the developer's fault?  Partially; they took this road and hoped people would be insightful and intelligent enough that it takes many iterations over the same systems to achieve a full game.  They were wrong.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I don't want an old school mmo today, I want a modern mmo with the vision the old school mmos had.
    ste2000 said:
    Sorry but it's time to draw a line with this Early Access abuse, developers need to start taking responsibilities, and that's not restricted to SotA of course.
    I am fine with the Early Access to give people who believed in the project an head start, but that should not last for more than a couple of months, ideally one month should be enough, after that the game should be declared released, particularly if you start accepting money and there has been a final wipe, which in case of SotA happened in August, 6 months ago.

You want a game, that requires a Kickstarter to get started, to be done in 2 months?!  You aren't even TRYING, are you?
    TTek said:

Take a look at chronicles of elyria  they had 1.3 million and put together something that blows sota out of the water.
    What?  They haven't released anything!  They're releasing a web-based kingdom strategy game and a text-based MUD!
    Blackboa said:
    I think Shroud of the Avatar tried to hard to make their questing system Unique which essentially turned it into more work.  Removing quests all together would have been a better option instead of hiding them in the world.  Questing is work, and now you are adding more work to the equation to actually have to find the quest giver in order to get your quest.  Nice try shroud, but I tried it for 30 minutes and was fed up that quickly.  Unfortunately those behind UO did a terrible job at trying to find the next best thing.  Nice try though!
    This is a fair *for you*.  Many people do not have the patience for this kind of game.  Many people do not have the patience for Civilization games.  That doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.  Some people want an immersive world where quests aren't flagging you down with neon signs.

Nothing wrong with what you want, but don't dismiss something you personally don't like out of hand.
    IceAge said:
    What the fuck ?

Yes it's very different then investing in a stock or .. mutual fund. C'mon! Are you serious ? At least , investing in a stock or mutual fund , you have a chance ( or more ) , to get a profit  ... or at least money back or .. close to. What you both ( what ? you thrown away 1k and it's nothing? piece of ... ! ) did  .. it's the perfect exemple that : blind , naive , easy-targets-for-various-frauds , etc , people .. are keeping those KS's alive ( I am watching you SC )

When you invest in the stock market, you are looking to get back money.  When you invest in a Kickstarter, you are looking to get back FUN.  People spend $5000 on a few days at Disney; SOTA is no different.  Not sure you're thinking clearly...
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    mercster said:
    The reviews are brutal.  Not with complaints about the lack of PvP but just the game mechanics being terrible and sometimes those who spent a lot of money on the game being elitist.  Yep, sounds like an alpha but a bad alpha.
    You must not be following the game or the forums; they have added to PVP immensely, so much so that the non-PVP people are now complaining it's too much of a PVP game!  Most people who view this game negatively have no idea how to follow the development of a project in action.

Now, was this the developer's fault?  Partially; they took this road and hoped people would be insightful and intelligent enough that it takes many iterations over the same systems to achieve a full game.  They were wrong.

No ,no, no, you're wrong.

And devs are fully responsable for this mess. Not partially. Don't blame the backers , we're not in the office, taking decisons.  We gave money for a vision  that LB had. Thats it.
    And the devs are NOT listening to the community.

Also, as soon as  you say something bad about their game, on the official forum.Your post will be deleted, the same day.
    The game is trash, whatever you say, you wont change that fact.

This company has to understand what WE want. Not the opposite.
    Your selling a product where there is a demand. If you dont listen to your customers, well....you dont sell and you get bad reviews.
    End of story.

But maybe you can't understand that.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    This game is a total piece of shit. I spent 40 dollars on it (bought it on Steam) and regret the purchase. Waste of time and effort. World is ugly, player towns are filled with a bunch of random crap all around and look fucking horrendously bad when you walk through them. Absolute trash.
    I like to complain about games.
    Looks like Starr dispatched a white knight from Novia to enter this realm.

Mercster's been licking SotA boots for a while now. Nice to know they finally gave you a job you're qualified to do.

I thought you guys were too busy manipulating Steam reviews. Did they finally figure you out over there?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    tixylix said:
    I don't want an old school mmo today, I want a modern mmo with the vision the old school mmos had.
    I dunno, I could go for an oldshool game as well, but I have to say that I am leaning far more towards Pantheon right now. In fact Shards also look more fun if I should go for something a bit more UO like.

I am not sure what Garriot is going for here. I hope he goes back to the drawing board and improve things, he can do better and it is not too late to save things yet.

mercster said:
    This is a fair *for you*.  Many people do not have the patience for this kind of game.  Many people do not have the patience for Civilization games.  That doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.  Some people want an immersive world where quests aren't flagging you down with neon signs.

Nothing wrong with what you want, but don't dismiss something you personally don't like out of hand.
    There is certainly wisdom in what you say, but the question is if enough people would play the game in it's current shape (with some polishing of course). CIV do have a huge audience so patience certainly are out there (heck, I played all of them).

Shroud is going up against Pantheon, Shards, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall and a few others who also seems immersive and wont flag the quests with neon signs. It needs to at least be as good as any of those games to work.

That the game looks dated graphic wise ain't so big problem but I think they will have to work more to make the combat and gameplay more fun. But of course, that is me and I ain't a UO vet, I played M59 back then so I might be more partial to Pantheon because of that. If Garriot can get the majority of the old UO vets to start playing he will do fine after all.
  • weins201weins201 Member CommonPosts: 3

Been playing a while even backed them from the start but I would no recommend it to anyone anymore, if you want to try it make sure you go in at the lowest possible level.

The development team has just stated clearly they are not even going to bother to complete all the pledged things players have already paid for and they continue to generate more items every month that are added to the Add on store for purchase just like all those freemium games.

They have also "partnered" with Markee Dragon a very real entity that uses online game for their own profit.

Be very weary of getting involved

weins201 said:

Been playing a while even backed them from the start but I would no recommend it to anyone anymore, if you want to try it make sure you go in at the lowest possible level.

The development team has just stated clearly they are not even going to bother to complete all the pledged things players have already paid for and they continue to generate more items every month that are added to the Add on store for purchase just like all those freemium games.

They have also "partnered" with Markee Dragon a very real entity that uses online game for their own profit.

Be very weary of getting involved

And don't forget Ashe Chung of Second Life fame who is trying to build another cash cow buying and selling SotA items online. 

This "game" is a shopping mall for the stupid.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    From BEREK, their community manager :  I did give an explanation as to why the thread was locked at the bottom, which you quoted. To note, we will sometimes lock a thread to ensure it doesn't become toxic, it reaches the end of the life of the discussion, or it doesn't really have any discussion to build upon to begin with.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/cant-give-opinions-eh.80343/

He said it, he's locking thread just because, not real reasons.
    And who's the judge?  If he doesnt like your post.  Bye bye.  This is so cheap and BS.

black777 said:
    From BEREK, their community manager :  I did give an explanation as to why the thread was locked at the bottom, which you quoted. To note, we will sometimes lock a thread to ensure it doesn't become toxic, it reaches the end of the life of the discussion, or it doesn't really have any discussion to build upon to begin with.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/cant-give-opinions-eh.80343/

He said it, he's locking thread just because, not real reasons.
    And who's the judge?  If he doesnt like your post.  Bye bye.  This is so cheap and BS.
    Word of advice: Screenshot every stupid thing they say in their forums. Just like people they don't want to air their dirty laundry, they delete their own posts as well, mostly to cover up their own mistakes. 

Of of course they deny they ever said it later. Spears is famous for that one. It's always satisfying to pull out the evidence and say, "liar".

Don't do it on their site, though. Reddit is better for that sort of thing.