Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apocalypse Now to Raise $5M Via Site, Kickstarter Stopped - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageApocalypse Now to Raise $5M Via Site, Kickstarter Stopped - MMORPG.com News

A couple of weeks ago, a game based on Apocalypse Now was brought to KickStarter to raise $900,000. As of today, however, the campaign has been canceled with only $173k in the hopper, a clear sign that it wasn't going to make it in the 30-days. However, the project will continue raising funds, now in the realm of half a million, via the game's official site.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I lost interest at survival game. But good luck to them.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Tiller said:

This !

And I also pretty much lost interest in anything that asks for my money without anything other than "words" (and often times: good intentions) to show.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Tiller said:

This !

And I also pretty much lost interest in anything that asks for my money without anything other than "words" (and often times: good intentions) to show.

Bur this one's gonna be different! Honest!
  • ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I still don't understand the whole idea of giving people money now to develop a game you won't be able to play for FOUR! years. I have no idea what kind of games I'll be interested in and have time for 3 months from now, let alone 4 years from now. There are so many games coming out at such a regular pace, and the majority of them are barely passable clones of everything else developed in the same timeframe; investing in the development of one in particular for the "hype factor" would be folly.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Claies said:
    I still don't understand the whole idea of giving people money now to develop a game you won't be able to play for FOUR! years. I have no idea what kind of games I'll be interested in and have time for 3 months from now, let alone 4 years from now. There are so many games coming out at such a regular pace, and the majority of them are barely passable clones of everything else developed in the same timeframe; investing in the development of one in particular for the "hype factor" would be folly.
    On top of that, the game they pitch now might not even be close to the game that they release.  Look at Star Citizen, Chris Roberts initially said the single player would have Co-OP and friends could even jump in as enemies but fast forward four years later and now its "Co-OP would ruin the single player experience". 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    The crowdfunding fad is pretty much dead at this point. Everyone has figured out that it just isn't worth it any more. I have no interest in funding some game today that I might not even recognize in a couple years. It's a bad deal for backers most of the time. Crowdfunding might work as one piece of the funding puzzle, but as the primary or only source of funding, not so much any more. I'm kind of glad that these are mostly failing now and people are getting smarter with their money. Now if we could just get people to stop buying over priced founder packs...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Claies said:
    At my age there's no guarantee I'll be alive in 4 years, I need games this year. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    donger56 said:
    The crowdfunding fad is pretty much dead at this point. Everyone has figured out that it just isn't worth it any more. I have no interest in funding some game today that I might not even recognize in a couple years. It's a bad deal for backers most of the time. Crowdfunding might work as one piece of the funding puzzle, but as the primary or only source of funding, not so much any more. I'm kind of glad that these are mostly failing now and people are getting smarter with their money. Now if we could just get people to stop buying over priced founder packs...
    LOL crowd funding pretty much dead? Because some obscure title trying to cash in on a movie's name didn't get funded? New titles get funded just about monthly, where have you been? New platforms continue to open for Crowdfunding as well. It's far from dead...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    You have to wonder about the intelligence of the developers if thinking just saying it is a survival game will mean the money will flow in.  

A lot of this survival nonsense is about as close to a scam as you can get.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Claies said:

I guess it lets games get published that otherwise might not. I used to complain about only seeing Sequels and Rip offs. I would rather see some trash games come of it than nothing new ever. Maybe it is the only way they can get funded. We had a few companies deciding what we played until fairly recently. I personally won't be buying into very many and will wait until release but I am glad for the process all the same.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Now even Hollywood is trying to cash in on the crowdfunding survival game scheme. Terminator survival game would be kinda cool though.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Survival game....HHmmmm....Rogue Trooper would be an awesome setting for a survival game, seeing as it was a survival cartoon.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    someone should make game in original setting by novel what was inspiration for Apocalypse Now,.
    That book ,Heart of Darkness has better & deeper story ;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I guess buying the rights to use a movie name from 1979 was fairly cheap. It was a classic movie, but the drawing power of that name has most likely faded somewhat in the last 36 years.

What kind of "survival game" they'd weld onto that IP is beyond me, and I doubt very much that it would do the movie any justice.

I wish them well, but I hope they're not quitting their day jobs for this...
    I guess buying the rights to use a movie name from 1979 was fairly cheap. It was a classic movie, but the drawing power of that name has most likely faded somewhat in the last 36 years.

What kind of "survival game" they'd weld onto that IP is beyond me, and I doubt very much that it would do the movie any justice.

I wish them well, but I hope they're not quitting their day jobs for this...
    My guess is most people could not even tell you what war the movie references, especially if they are younger they also likely have never watched it.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Kickstarter itself is who is falling down, showing projects distancing themselves from it and making more money. Not only this, you look at games as Crowfall on the same page.
  • lukezlukez Member UncommonPosts: 27
    A game based on a movie based on a book that is the definition of perversion

everyone who liked Apocalypse Now, Heart of Darkness the documentary is even better
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Kyleran said:
    Claies said:
    At my age there's no guarantee I'll be alive in 4 years, I need games this year. :p
    At your age there's no need to play games anymore, you need health insurance. :sweat:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
    Ozmodan said:
    You have to wonder about the intelligence of the developers if thinking just saying it is a survival game will mean the money will flow in.  

A lot of this survival nonsense is about as close to a scam as you can get.
    Pretty spot on, I agree wholeheartedly.

See, this is marketing thing, when you wanna sell something, all you need is just to wrap it nicely. When you can do that, people will overlook the content even though it is pure shit.

MaxBacon said:
    Kickstarter itself is who is falling down, showing projects distancing themselves from it and making more money. Not only this, you look at games as Crowfall on the same page.
    It's a bit premature to make that statement, lol

What makes them (and you) believe that they can raise far more crowdfunding capital by running a campaign on their own (unknown) website ? I'd say their chances of raising $5M are remote...

Crowfall used the KS campaign to raise additional funding to supplement the funds they got from private investors. That is not an example of "distancing themselves from KS", it's just a good example of a team that uses all available sources.
    edited February 2017

What makes them (and you) believe that they can raise far more crowdfunding capital by running a campaign on their own (unknown) website ? I'd say their chances of raising $5M are remote...

Crowfall used the KS campaign to raise additional funding to supplement the funds they got from private investors. That is not an example of "distancing themselves from KS", it's just a good example of a team that uses all available sources.
    I think I see it that way because that method is constant funding, vs Kickstarter's one-time campaign. So it just keeps the funding source open as the game develops, especially for those who will not turn towards things as private investors/publisher.
    edited February 2017
    MaxBacon said:

I think I see it that way because that method is constant funding, vs Kickstarter's one-time campaign. So it just keeps the funding source open as the game develops, especially for those who will not turn towards things as private investors/publisher.
    The very fact that they chose to launch a KS campaign BEFORE starting their own private one illustrates the relevance of KS clearly. It's still the number-one choice.

If your KS fails however, then you have to fall back to Plan B.

Running your own private crowdfunding initiative is not what I'd describe as a source of "constant funding". As a follow-on to a successful KS campaign, it is probably a realistic option, but if the KS bid has already failed spectacularly, a private campaign is wishful thinking at best.
    edited February 2017
    If your KS fails however, then you have to fall back to Plan B.
    If the KS fails is one thing yeah. KS for me the best path I think it's one kind of "audience test", that is you throw it out there and see how is the interest for you game from the support it gets.

On that aspect a successful KS might more easily gather private investment, get one publisher behind the project, or if by their own choice, continue funding on their own platform. I forgot the exposure point on my original post. :P 
    Kyleran said:
    Claies said:
    At your age there's no need to play games anymore, you need health insurance. :sweat:

Wonder if they sell disability insurance in case I can't play games one day?

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Claies said:

Wonder if they sell disability insurance in case I can't play games one day?
    Let's hope VR have been fully matured on that day. As long as your eyes, brain and, mouth are fully functioning, you can enjoy it I suppose.