Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imagePlayer's Choice Awards - The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

In our third and final Player's Choice Award for 2016, we're asking you to pick your top overall MMO of the year. Read on, add your vote, and prepare to argue!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Neverwinter -Menace of the Underdark and Maze Engine.

Edgar F Greenwood

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    ESO for the 3rd year straight.
    aCi11i3s
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Not going to lie, some good choices on the list, will have to ponder for a bit.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    ESO has become a fantastic mmo for two of the biggest player bases, casual pve'ers and rp'ers. Neither of which I fall into, yet there's no question that it wins with the poor performance of recent mmo's.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Quick translation for the casual members of this site......he means  EVE :p

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    SWToR wins hands down for me. Its the most modern MMO that still uses the trinity system. Also unlike most modern MMOs, you can play all content teamed and you are rewarded for doing so. IMO, this game has no equal right now unless you live for low skill twitch games.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Difficult to choose a stand out game from that list.  In the end I picked SWTOR, but only because throughout the year I must have played SWTOR the most.  Runner up would have been BDO.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    There's no doubt that ESO will likely win. Only SWTOR and BDO can challenge it, and I think they will both come up short. They have just done so much to ESO, in a positive way, for any other MMO to win, IMO.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Vanilla WoW, hands down.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I had to pick swtor. One of my favorite housing systems of the many MMOs I have played. Also where else can I be a bad ass with a lightsaber?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Even though it lasted only a few months, playing a Holy Paladin in Legion was the most fun I've had this year in an MMO. It's almost time to play it again for a month or two.
  • DanNVDanNV Member CommonPosts: 2
    I am really enjoying Elder Scrolls online. SWTOR has disappointed so many, so much it shouldn't even be on the list. All end-game now behind a sub wall, all of t estory content for KOTFE and KOTET is aimed at solo play, no new MMO content in over 2 years, and the list goes on. It was never the best out there, but it has fallen so far it isn't even worth considering anymore. Definitely ESO for me, therefore.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I have to go with ESO as I haven't played enough of BDO to compare.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• pyroburnpyroburn Member UncommonPosts: 5
    So how much did you get paid to feature these games... The list seems light on actual, you know, good games... SWTOR? Seriously? Blade and Soul? AC is dead in the water....
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited January 2017

pyroburn said:

So how much did you get paid to feature these games... The list seems light on actual, you know, good games... SWTOR? Seriously? Blade and Soul? AC is dead in the water....

Please list some good alternatives? We can't just make up games out of thin air.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Nanfoodle said:
    SWToR wins hands down for me. Its the most modern MMO that still uses the trinity system. Also unlike most modern MMOs, you can play all content teamed and you are rewarded for doing so. IMO, this game has no equal right now unless you live for low skill twitch games.
    I've not reached end game for a while so I don't know if that's changed but all the group content (flashpoints) are tactical and don't require the trinity.

I still enjoy the story content, however the leveling content is becoming more solo friendly. IMO, the game is getting worse in that regard.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ESO for me with BDO the runner-up.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Choose among this pile of garbage, which item stinks the least.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

ste2000 said:

Kyleran said:

At least EVE is on the list again.

Remember when they left it out because "it wins the poll every year" (Bill Murphy) ?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:

I might be mistaken but I thought that cumulative EVE annoyances finally caused him to stop his subs.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    ESO just edges out FF14 for me
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Grakulen said:

pyroburn said:

Please list some good alternatives? We can't just make up games out of thin air.

Lotro still exists and they made some big changes this year. I remember when it was a running joke as to how much you pumped that game back in the day here. Now its crickets when it comes to them.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Grakulen said:

pyroburn said:

Vanilla WoW.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

rodarin said:

Grakulen said:

pyroburn said:

Lotro still exists and they made some big changes this year. I remember when it was a running joke as to how much you pumped that game back in the day here. Now its crickets when it comes to them.

See. You added a game to the conversation unlike the last person I quoted.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited January 2017
    I was torn between BDO and ESO but ultimately I chose ESO. BDO has a lot of great things going for it and it keeps on getting better, but it gave me tendinitis (despite being young, healthy, and playing one of the least demanding classes in Witch). So if I can't play a game without hurting myself, then it really can't be the top. ;( I still have a number of payment model gripes with ESO, but it's continuing to do a lot of great stuff and this one I can actually play, so that bumps it above BDO for me.