Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game dead before it even started?

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    bcbully said:
    Only an idiot would think about making and mmo without PvP now a days. 
    I don't agree.
    There is a huge crowd that would comfortably play a PvE only MMO.
    The problem is that SotA failed to create a compelling PvE experience.
    I bought a package because on paper the PvE looked good, but as soon as I logged in I realized that this game had no charm, no vision and no direction.
    In short SotA PvE is just not fun.

They spent more time creating (and selling) Houses and Properties than making the game itself (like Star Citizen) and the result is a big mess.

• cyxscyxs Member UncommonPosts: 27
    zoddydoz said:
    Yes, that there is a steep learning curve. The systems for skill decks is seldom understood before players quit - they need to do a better job at explaining it if they want mainstream-level players that won't wiki controls and mechanics for hours on end.
    The problem is that once you understand the deck system you don't want it. The deck system has to many issues with it to work in a PvE or PvP system. The random drawing of cards and stacking for more power or combos is strange and will be the balance for combat so if you don't play with a unlocked deck you will be a second class player. Or the fact if your a healer and need your heals to target someone across the room and someone else runs in front of you then you heal goes to them, or you don't have your range heal skill on your bar at the time. These are issues with both the combat system targeting and random deck combat.

Card combat doesn't work in live action MMOs as people like having muscle memory on how to do something not looking at cards to see what they can combo or stack or use. Because if your looking at the hot bar your not looking at the combat and might be standing in an AOE or you might not notice someone getting low on life if your a healer cause your looking to stack up your heals. They said they wanted to do minimal interface when they started this project now when your in combat your forced to look at your hot bar all the time, this is why they can't have cool fights where you have to jump on things and move around.
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    don't know the game . and wont. but this sounds like it going to be successful as a fps without weapons....
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    This game started long time ago. People have been looking at it for years now. Myself included. I went back to it 4 times trying to find something appealing. Sadly nothing could keep me playing it for longer than a day or two each time.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Gruug said:
    Acterius said:
    Really is sad how Smed and Garriott has lost that magic feeling from the games we fell in love with years back! 

Smed doesn't have anything to do with this game does he? Or are you referring to Crowfall which Smed IS one of the devs?
    Smed a dev on Crowfall? are you mistaking CF with Hero's Song? or Smed with Koster? wut wut wut
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    bcbully said:
    Shroud has PVP. 
    Shroud has glorified dueling, nothing that resembles PvP acceptable to most gamers.
    So what. I'm tired of pvp'rs thinking that everyone should cater to them. How about no? If the only thing that interests you about the game is loot and killing people, then maybe you need another hobby. 
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    BruceYee said:
    Gruug said:
    Acterius said:
    Really is sad how Smed and Garriott has lost that magic feeling from the games we fell in love with years back! 

Smed doesn't have anything to do with this game does he? Or are you referring to Crowfall which Smed IS one of the devs?
    Smed a dev on Crowfall? are you mistaking CF with Hero's Song? or Smed with Koster? wut wut wut
    That's what happen when you back indie games too much.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    I'm a low-cost backer.  Trust me when I say, don't waste your money on this one.  It's an empty husk of a game.  Lord British lost his magic touch years ago, sadly.
    Not only his magic, Lord British also lost his blood, a lot.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I tried to like this game, but I realized staggering around tiny postage-stamp-sized zones was an immersion killer for me.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Finvega said:
    I tried to like this game, but I realized staggering around tiny postage-stamp-sized zones was an immersion killer for me.
    Yep, that's what did it for me.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    cyxs said:
    zoddydoz said:
    Yes, that there is a steep learning curve. The systems for skill decks is seldom understood before players quit - they need to do a better job at explaining it if they want mainstream-level players that won't wiki controls and mechanics for hours on end.
    The problem is that once you understand the deck system you don't want it. The deck system has to many issues with it to work in a PvE or PvP system. The random drawing of cards and stacking for more power or combos is strange and will be the balance for combat so if you don't play with a unlocked deck you will be a second class player. Or the fact if your a healer and need your heals to target someone across the room and someone else runs in front of you then you heal goes to them, or you don't have your range heal skill on your bar at the time. These are issues with both the combat system targeting and random deck combat.

Card combat doesn't work in live action MMOs as people like having muscle memory on how to do something not looking at cards to see what they can combo or stack or use. Because if your looking at the hot bar your not looking at the combat and might be standing in an AOE or you might not notice someone getting low on life if your a healer cause your looking to stack up your heals. They said they wanted to do minimal interface when they started this project now when your in combat your forced to look at your hot bar all the time, this is why they can't have cool fights where you have to jump on things and move around.

Wow, that's made me think the combat might be really cool.  You have to consider a ton of stuff to work things out.  No  by rote 1-2-3 keyboard-mouse, or up-left-down-right controller combos. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    What is it with NPC conversations being displayed in the chat frame?

I don't know much about that game...too little to be even called a hater, but this is as lazy as it gets.

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited January 2017
    Volgore said:
    What is it with NPC conversations being displayed in the chat frame?

I don't know much about that game...too little to be even called a hater, but this is as lazy as it gets.

That's what you can expect from this game. Laziness. It's never had focused development, it's been mismanaged from the start, it's never been about quality, and they continue to do what they did for the kickstarter, with throwing cheap bought unity assets into the game, while sprucing those  assets they bought up a bit and reselling them on the add on store.

This video tells you everything you need to know about how they've been developing since kickstarter, its the same mess, buy cheap assets, do as little as possible make a paycheck, sell touched up assets on add on store, beg for money in telethons, ban people for having a problem with all these things, pretend its all great, rinse repeat.

32:00 – Richard talks about Portalarium’s failure to chase the social media and mobile gaming trend.

41:00 – Richard mentions Portalarium’s foray into social and mobile gaming was a disaster and talks about Portalarium having only enough funds to operate for another 3 months just before the Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter was launched. He mentions receiving advice from Cloud Imperium Games (Chris Roberts / Star Citizen) about what it would take to do a Kickstarter, and then goes on to say that they started from literally nothing and put together the Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter in 45 days.

43:00 – Richard mentions they took their art almost exclusively from the Unity Asset Store and wrote a bare minimum of code.

44:40 – Richard admits the $1M fundraising target in their Kickstarter was an amount they decided would allow them to “get out of this pickle” and not necessarily finish the product (which of course would entail fulfilling the promises made in the Kickstarter).

Post edited by Rawyn on
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited January 2017
    As someone that spent a lot of money on pledges, played for years, and seen how this game has developed over the years (if you can call it that), I can say to anyone that's thinking about buying this game, DON'T. It's not worth paying for, if you want to try it later on after it flops and it will, try it when it goes free-to-play before they have to shut it down.

Do not give them any more money. The game is already live with no more wipes since July last year, so it's released as far as I'm concerned, what you see is what you get. They're in the last phase to polish things up, and its an awful mixup of terrible UI, story, ugly and boring character creation, an absolute mess of combat system, tiny scenes, abysmal gameplay, and a very small community of snobs. There are a handful of nice people like Mata and Majoria and a few others, the rest  think nothing of going to steam, making accounts to try and boost it's ratings to fool potential buyers into buying Sota.
    Post edited by Ice-Queen on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2017
    The events that were taking place before the game even released already sealed the game's fate tbh.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    bcbully said:

While I would agree, in a way, I would add to this that only an idiot would make an MMO without hassle-free PvE. I know that the current trend is to inject PvP into the main part of the game but let's see the impact a year or two from now. Every metric/poll shows that in the realm of MMORPGs PvE is preferred to PvP.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I like a lot about SotA but the things I don't, at it's current iteration, are deal breakers. One of the main issues is just being boring. The artstyle, music, and combat are just dull and those are major parts of the game. I don't necessarily like the small zones but I could deal with that if the game seemed more exciting.

One thing to note is the deck and stat allocation systems are fantastic. In an alternate universe these systems would fit into other tab target titles just right.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited January 2017
    Moirae said:
    bcbully said:
    Shroud has PVP. 
    Shroud has glorified dueling, nothing that resembles PvP acceptable to most gamers.
    So what. I'm tired of pvp'rs thinking that everyone should cater to them. How about no? If the only thing that interests you about the game is loot and killing people, then maybe you need another hobby. 
    No one asked to be catered to, but don't call what amounts to dueling PvP. You would think Richard would know better, but nope.

I guess he finally figured out that the power of money is the same, regardless of whether you earn it or scam it.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Must have ridden on the fumes of his past fame thinking that is enough. The laziness is obvious and should not be rewarded.

• cyxscyxs Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited January 2017
    The whole PvP thing is just more proof that they have no clue as to how to develop a game.
    Problems with the game include:
    • The combat sucks
    • The story is half baked at best with a very rails/guide/linear feel to it
    • PvP has no place in the world(no systems outside of flag or don't)
    • Towns have no reason to shop in them or sell in them other then a few that give better prices for buying junk from mobs
    • PvE is endless grind with no cap which causes issues for fair/balances/fun PvP system
    • Random Crafting procs/system
    • Devs forcing PvP onto players, if a major zone has players forced PvP then its forced if I ever visit the zone, I wouldn't consider capture flag/battle ground/king of hill style maps to be major zones but when you build a town outside a dungeon then yes its forced to be able to explore that dungeon to PvP.
    • Devs ignoring feedback and ideas then 3 months later dropping the main thing
    • Devs not planning out anything more then a roadmap that always losses half of the items on it
    • Devs having no plan to launch
    • Devs not telling what will be in launch
    • Devs partnering with a RMT person who has run/sold botting software 
    • Devs trying to say they launched countless number of PvE only items in game, name 1 item that is PvE only(besides collars) that you can't use in PvP
    When your last major good game was 20+ years ago and your trying to "live" off that you really should look in the mirror. The thing to remember is nobody on this current team was "designer" of UO, they didn't design it RG was producer and people have said he came in after the base design/idea was already in place and they used Ultima lore once the core was done in order to get it going. So to give RG credit for UO is a push.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    edited January 2017
    Just like his last project (Tabula Rasa) Garriot just made a game that his quirky self wanted to play. This is the same guy that spent 30mil to ride on a Russian space rocket and then paid like 100k for some space junk on Mars just so he could say that he owned something on another planet.

He is just more proof that these guys who had some great ideas decades ago don't have a clue what they are doing now. The Ultima series was great and Ultima Online paved the way for MMORPG's but that was 20 years ago. People need to stop throwing money at these people because of name recognition and nostalgia. At best this was never going to be more than a niche game with a small player base, but it doesn't look like it will even be that at this point. File it in the trash can next to all the other garbage crowd funded MMORPG's. RIP.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The reviews are brutal.  Not with complaints about the lack of PvP but just the game mechanics being terrible and sometimes those who spent a lot of money on the game being elitist.  Yep, sounds like an alpha but a bad alpha.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    This game was dead before they wrote the first line of code.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    I backed this one with more than $500.

Shame on me..  Do not buy this game.  DO NOT.

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Have to agree, this is one game you need to stay away from.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin