Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving From 2.6 To 3.0 - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMoving From 2.6 To 3.0 - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen News - Chris Roberts has posted the latest weekly newsletter to detail the current plans for Star Citizen v2.6.1 and with the first hints of moving to 3.0. The next update see the game receive a number of performance improvements, balance updates as well as some new features including leaderboards.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    so still no PU?...mkey bye then.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This just might be the best game of 2020.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Albatroes said:

please stop rushing the Roberts. he doesn't like it...
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    That image looks like three Kilrathi Jalthi (or Dralthi MK IIs) attacking a Terran Confederation Waterloo-Class Cruiser. Maybe its the TCS-Gettysburg?

What can I say? I'm a cat person!
    ...and that image perfectly captures my appreciation for them.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Haha, i value SC for the comic relief it gives me before going to sleep.
    More plans... Hurrah... Wasn't the game supposed to be released already? Oh still in prealpha.. Hahaha. 2020 is the new date? Probably a new mmo space sim will show up by then haha will be hilarious.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    But it is still a lot of development for something claimed by some troglodytes to be vapor ware....

Anyway... No need to invest in it now. Just sit back and wait for release. Then get it as usual. This is a space sim.. not bloody pokemon.

This have been a good conversation

• Shane250Shane250 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Idk why people will say "wasn't it supposed to be released by now" or "its being delayed so much", the people that say this have like no knowledge on the actual development of the game since it started. If the game was to have been released by now or last year, it wouldn't have been nearly what people are expecting it to be. At the same time, people act like it's taking so long but actually its developing faster rate than it what it was 1-2 years ago, Planets that you can land one wasn't even supposed to be a thing till way after launch, now look, it's within a couple of months. People make up the most fabricated things just to basically say they are upset that the game they want to play isn't out now and they have to wait.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    This game is best experienced by flying an Idris.
    You should think about getting one.

..Cake..

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    I love how they keep making up these numbers to pretend to make progress. Oh, so exciting 3.0, aka still alpha with no release date in sight. How anyone is still throwing money into this black hole of nothingness I don't understand. All this is so far is a really nice looking tech demo after over 5 years and 100 million spent.
  • raazmanraazman Member UncommonPosts: 35
    All these commenters want another no man's sky? You all don't learn don't you? This is what's wrong with people. Impatient, ignorant people.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Albatroes said:

please stop rushing the Roberts. he doesn't like it...

My apologies, I should've said best game of 2025.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    If it's Alpha and pre-release shouldn't it be like 0.3? 3.0 to me suggests third version, but the game isn't even close to release. Confusing.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Shane250 said:
    Idk why people will say "wasn't it supposed to be released by now" or "its being delayed so much", the people that say this have like no knowledge on the actual development of the game since it started. If the game was to have been released by now or last year, it wouldn't have been nearly what people are expecting it to be. At the same time, people act like it's taking so long but actually its developing faster rate than it what it was 1-2 years ago, Planets that you can land one wasn't even supposed to be a thing till way after launch, now look, it's within a couple of months. People make up the most fabricated things just to basically say they are upset that the game they want to play isn't out now and they have to wait.
    If I recall, the game was initially promised out in 2014.

I had to lol because 'you just don't understand game development' has become something of a punchline surrounding SC.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Can't we all just God worship CR and just 'have fun' Remember he is making the bestest game of all time and having fun taking da monies.

Have fun.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hints at 9.9.6.1

"You guys don't understand" -Cult Members
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited January 2017
    I generally just let the haters hate....

But you guys do realize that, for ref, WoW in 2004 cost 65M and took almost 5 years to make.

And WoW just copied Everquest...they really didn't bring anything new to the MMO market, their game just reached unseen popularity.

So double the budget, 13 years later really still isn't all that much...especially when you consider they aren't just making another MMO the likes of which we've seen before. They are trying to make something the likes of which hasn't been done. As for production time: WoW took almost 5 years to make, SWTOR took about 5 years. We see games like Darkfall that take like 10....WoW just copied Everquest....SWTOR just coppied WoW....these games were not making all new systems...so SC hitting 5 years this year is perfectly acceptable. A game pushing the limits of what we've seen in MMO's taking 1 or 2 years longer than a copy/paste MMO doesn't seem all that bad to me.

I personally only own 1 cheapo $60 ship...so I am in no way very invested into this game....but am just trying to give you guys some references as to how long the average MMO takes to make and how much it costs to do what's already been done before vs pushing the boundaries. And who cares if it's later than what was said. If I tell you I'm going to deliver your Lambo in April and it doesn't show up, sure you'll be disappointed, but when it comes in December are you going to pout and not accept it? Heck no! Much rather have my finished Lambo in December than just the frame in April :P.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

But you guys do realize that, for ref, WoW in 2004 cost 65M and took almost 5 years to make.

And WoW just copied Everquest...they really didn't bring anything new to the MMO market, their game just reached unseen popularity.

So double the budget, 13 years later really still isn't all that much...especially when you consider they aren't just making another MMO the likes of which we've seen before. They are trying to make something the likes of which hasn't been done. As for production time: WoW took almost 5 years to make, SWTOR took about 5 years. We see games like Darkfall that take like 10....WoW just copied Everquest....SWTOR just coppied WoW....these games were not making all new systems...so SC hitting 5 years this year is perfectly acceptable. A game pushing the limits of what we've seen in MMO's taking 1 or 2 years longer than a copy/paste MMO doesn't seem all that bad to me.
    So now the acceptable frame of reference is the most successful MMO ever made, and when comparing one should keep in mind that Star Citizen is better.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    sgel said:
    This game is best experienced by flying an Idris.
    You should think about getting one.
    I see what you did there!

On-Topic: The feature creep result is real. Folks kept giving money for more stuff to be added to the original KS game. Instead of doing the obvious and just putting out the base game at a responsible time and adding in the feature creep items later on CR goes all DaVinci on us and insists on doing the whole thing "modular" and whatnot term thrown out there because he's brilliant, can't you understand, bloody brilliant!

At this point I have almost zero faith that CR will ever do the right thing as far as SC development is concerned but I do have faith in all the other employees at CIG. Hopefully their combined knowledge will trump CR utter lack of and get this thing out the door in good shape sometime in the next 2 years. 

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited January 2017
    Vrika said:
    So now the acceptable frame of reference is the most successful MMO ever made, and when comparing one should keep in mind that Star Citizen is better.
    WoW wasn't a good reference tbh, but the point he's making is still there. What people seem not take into consideration is the complexity of the project, which will play a massive hand in how fast it will progress. Regardless of how much you plan, when jumping into the unknown many mistakes and delays will occur. If they were making a bog standard themepark MMO, then yeah, they should be almost there by now and complaining about delays and such would make a lot more sense, but they're not. 

What makes this more confusing to me is most of these people that have beef about launch, over the years were saying this project was impossible and very very ambitious, yet they're expecting it to be done in less than 5 years? They're expecting it to be released and fully functional in less time it takes for a single player game to made? So to me that says they know it's a complex project and it will take time, but choose to ignore it for dramas sake. I would say if by this time next year, we are still looking at an alpha with not much change to what it is now, then I think it's fair to raise an eyebrow.

It's fine to be skeptical or give negative feedback, but when people just repeat the same lines for the past 3 years that have been explained already, how can we expect a discussion to go anywhere?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

So double the budget, 13 years later really still isn't all that much..:P.

1. We don't know what WoW cost. I said the same in another thread that had a list of game costs with a reference to a Blizzard quote saying WoW cost $200M.

2. Making like-for-like development time comparisons is difficult. With SC we are seeing "everything". The concept, raising the funding; setting up the teams / studios; tech demo stuff; and development. Usually we just see the development - if that. Titan anyone was ....what?

How long did Bungee take to develop Destiny? Well there was however long it was to come up with the idea leading to a deal with Activision for which they must have developed pitches, demo stuff, outlines and so forth. However once they had secured funding - which was huge - they were able to press on and hire staff. They finished Destiny in c. 2.5 years from inking the deal. So was that 2.5 years?

3. Timescales are hugely driven by money. It doesn't always follow that if you have twice the staff you will go twice as fast but up to a point its true. Having secured the funding Destiny finished with a team of over 540+ (as per interview with Gamasutra). Nice position to be in.

4. Lastly some games are simply "bigger" and so take longer. And I am not suggesting SC is bigger.

What matters here is whether SC is going to release. Some go on about 3.0 releasing in 2020. Last month (December) the same posters were saying that 2.6 wouldn't release in 2016. Same deal throughout last year in fact. As it stands everything suggests it is going to release.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    4. Lastly some games are simply "bigger" and so take longer. And I am not suggesting SC is bigger.
    It's one technological colossus, Majority of MMO's just take the easy path...

...why do simulation when you can fake it, why implement real rendering mechanics when you can fake them and make them believable, why making one game where details are taken to the point of a cinematic environment when you can just make pre-rendered cutscenes, why develop a colossus of physics work when you could just do faked transitions? SC is why :D
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    edited January 2017
    Herase said:
    Vrika said:
    WoW wasn't a good reference tbh, but the point he's making is still there. What people seem not take into consideration is the complexity of the project, which will play a massive hand in how fast it will progress. Regardless of how much you plan, when jumping into the unknown many mistakes and delays will occur. If they were making a bog standard themepark MMO, then yeah, they should be almost there by now and complaining about delays and such would make a lot more sense, but they're not. 

What makes this more confusing to me is most of these people that have beef about launch, over the years were saying this project was impossible and very very ambitious, yet they're expecting it to be done in less than 5 years? They're expecting it to be released and fully functional in less time it takes for a single player game to made? So to me that says they know it's a complex project and it will take time, but choose to ignore it for dramas sake. I would say if by this time next year, we are still looking at an alpha with not much change to what it is now, then I think it's fair to raise an eyebrow.

It's fine to be skeptical or give negative feedback, but when people just repeat the same lines for the past 3 years that have been explained already, how can we expect a discussion to go anywhere?
    You'r esaying as if the haters came up with impossible release dates when in fact it was CR who claimed these impossible deadlines

The "haters" as you call them are simply mocking CR's  incompetence at estimating dates.

Noone would be hating the long development time if CR wasnt so full of himself and simply said "whoah there guys, this is a shit ton of features. We CAN deliver them, but dont expect the game to be released before 2020"

When in fact he said the opposite: "Hey guys, if you keep throwing stacks of money at us, we will have enough resources to achieve all these extreme features without development delays! We promise!"

5 years later and 140 mil $ later he states they barely have the money to finish SQ42 with 3 years of delay and SC release nowhere to be seen, probably 2020

You see now why are people hating his attitude and the entire development bullshit?

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

edited January 2017
    Herase said:
    Man even if SC releases with all it promised, you can bet people here will still be complaining that the game did not release in 2014.

If you're around here this alone will be around 90% of all discussions. Nothing good ever comes out from it, but that's mostly what  all discussions are driven to and/or from.

Just get used to it, those people will never let go and move on.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Shane250 said:
    ...Planets that you can land one wasn't even supposed to be a thing till way after launch, now look, it's within a couple of months. 
    Ahahahahahaha!

*Gigle*

*Ahem*

*Gigli*

"a couple of months"

He, he.

*Ahem*

Sorry, but:

Ahahahahahahahaha!

Yeah, right.

In a couple of months we will still be hearing about it from CIG, all the while White Knights tell us about "how of course noone could expect it to be out yet, duh"!

Calling that one now.
    edited January 2017
    hfztt said:
    In a couple of months we will still be hearing about it from CIG, all the while White Knights tell us about "how of course noone could expect it to be out yet, duh"!
    I SWEAR this Star Citizen "critics" here are more delusional than the backers of this game.

The backers of this game by a wide agreement are expecting 3.0 on the 2nd half of 2017, not "around the corner" or couple of months, nope. 

If you're just implying the backers of this game are expecting 3.0 to be "just around the corner"... I can tell you right now, most are not expecting it to be out that soon. ;)