Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nintendo - Switching It Up - Robert Lashley at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNintendo - Switching It Up - Robert Lashley at MMORPG.com

As a lifelong Nintendo customer Rob is glad to see more of the switch. As a realist he isn't sure how well it will do. Read on for what can make the Switch a success.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I think €330 is a bit too much for the console and the accessories are also expensive. But with good Zelda, mario, pokemon and other nintendo games., its worth it.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Let's look at its mobile possiblities.

1. 3 hour battery life.

2. Extremely bulky.

Neither really supports a mobile device as a real option.

Let's look at the home console possibilities.

1. Weak specs.

2. Gimmick controller again + a real controller sold separately.

This device is going to need more than just Mario , Zelda and Pokemon. Really have no idea what Nintendo was thinking.

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    edited January 2017
    Sadly Nintendo has always been behind in the equipment specs, you literally buy a Console with almost as much as power as most desktop PC's when you buy a PS4 or XBOX , with the exception usually of the video capabilities and I don't believe Nintendo will ever be at that point.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

SlyLoK said:

Let's look at its mobile possiblities.

1. 3 hour battery life.

2. Extremely bulky.

Not much bigger than a high end tablet.

With USB-c port on the device you can easily hook it to an external battery just like people do with their phones.

I'm not saying they will do it. But it can be done.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Its all about the games and the different play style with Nintendo. I dont care that the console is with lower specs, I dont have PS or Xbox and I will never buy one, I have PC for that. The mobility is indeed arguable with that huge screen, but the rest is solid.
    If they have enough good and Fun games, this will be worth buying!
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    edited January 2017
    Thank God for Jim Sterling.
  • April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited January 2017
    What worries me is the social features will be run through an app on your phone and not the bloody console lol, Price wise its £79 too much in the uk (£279 total), when you add zelda or mario at £60 you are paying £340 before any extra's like the dock, sorry but I could get a better PS4 or Xboxone deal for a lot less and this is why nintendo have already lost my sale.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Haven't bought a Nintendo console since GameCube because their wild ideas are far too gimmicky. Their addons and accessories are too expensive, and the systems rarely receive interesting games.

As much as I love Mario and Zelda games...going to sit this one out.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Alverant said:

It's easy to pick things apart. It's hard to point a way forward for success.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited January 2017
    I like the idea of having a true console that doesn't try to desparately mimic the capabilities of my PC. It doesn't try to feed me with titles that sacrifice frame rate for unnecessary image quality just to fake that the consoles specs can compete with a far superior PC. (Yes I'm talking about many games dropping below 30 FPS at 720p/1080p on the latest PS and XBox machines.)

Instead Switch is trying to be a unique gaming device that shows some promising features like outstanding image quality on its portable screen and surprisingly smooth frame rates compared to its home entertainment competitors. I like the fact that Nintendo's been really careful with the way they've been communicating the Switch. Up until now I haven't been really interested in this console but recently I heard promising and surprisingly good news about its true qualities as people tried it out live. I guess I'll wait for like 6-9 months after launch and see if it's still worth it to buy one. Well the idea of Skyrim on the go and the new Zelda look promising so far.

The 3-5 hour battery life is acceptable if we look at the quality and performance of titles already shown at 60 FPS. It's looking to be a beast compared to any portable gaming device on the market.
  • lemonhead78lemonhead78 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    edited January 2017

Grakulen said:

Alverant said:

It's easy to pick things apart. It's hard to point a way forward for success.

In all fairness, Sterling's biggest gripe does provide a solution and so does the console industry. Nintendo is adding an online subscription like Xbox and PS4. The difference is with the later you can play the free games or just add them to your library and play them whenever you want as long as you are subscribed. Nintendo has a huge library, but are only providing one very old game a month and it is gone after that month. That, the cost of accessories, and no games releasing on the unit has me hesitant. I will sit this launch out and see what shakes out.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lemonhead78lemonhead78 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    edited January 2017
    I wanted this system, but the online subscription, no games with the console, and expensive accessories has me hesitant. I will wait this out and hope I see some changes in the future.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was reading it the other day,i guess it is projected to be $400 CDn..lmao way over priced,++ the add on's and easily over 500.
    I noticed a bit misleading information by Nintendo,i thought looking at their advert yo uget 2TB storage so ok that is amazing but not true ,it only SUPPORTS 2tb,you only get 32gb.Zelda lone will take up half that storage sooooo,you'll likely be buying another 512 gb storage eventually running you another $200 American so i guess 275 CDN?I also noticed the misleading 6 hour battery life advert but in reality on Zelda for example it will only last 3 hours,so i see future upgrades to buy on batteries as well.

The timing on release is also at least to me pretty obvious.Once Trump gets going he is going to add a surtax to anything not made in USA and the Switch screens are made in Japan so i assume the whole thing is likely made over seas,so the price is going to Trump,,err i mean jump up.

I know how rabid people are when NEW games come out,i hear the game "ARMS"is very high on the list and likely goes lame Esport or something so,i see 3 auto include games coming at 60 each that is 180 right there.I predict within 1 year time frame a typical Canadian will spend close to $1000 on this system.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My opinion,don't be one of those bandwagon jumpers and run right in spending.I bet within several months there will be an emulator that can run those games,so all you'll need to do is buy the game.We might even see the present day emulators upgrade to run these. Tegra chip,games written in C++,is apparently an easy port over,so i would guess this is exactly what they are using some form of ARM64.

One thing Nintendo is carefully keeping quiet is it's actual performance abilities.
    I mention this because it is highly possible since the device is based on low power consumption architecture it might run like crap while not docked,so you might have to dock it to get it's max performance.I am thinking back to early PS3 and Xbox releases that saw some games struggling to hit 30 frames per second.

It is projected to be as powerful as the PS3 but again keeping it quiet,NVIDIA claims they are using via guesswork,the Pascal architecture,meaning there is the possibility it could be faster.Although 780p is still nice looking,it is using older tech abilities.I even read that they contracted a struggling business to make the screens,so they no doubt got a super cheap bargain exploiting a struggling business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Torval said:

I wanted this system, but the online subscription, no games with the console, and expensive accessories has me hesitant. I will wait this out and hope I see some changes in the future.

I really did want this system too, but there are few too many uncertainties and it's expensive.

I already have a WiiU and PS4. The next console will still be either a PS4 Pro or an XB1-S.

Point number 8 would definitely cut the prices on the console and accessories. They are 100% overpriced. Nintendo doesn't believe in loss leaders though. They want to profit from day one.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Some good points, but they are all very big IFs, and the fact that Nintendo:
    - Didn't include something like 1-2-Switch; which would have cost them next to nothing to include as a digital game.
    - Set an RRP of US $50 for 1-2-Switch and $60 for Arms, when third party games like Rime and Minecraft Story Mode are $30.
    - Want people to use a 'smart device' for voice chat, and charge them $$ a month for the 'privilege'.
    - Will basically only 'lend' you a NES / SNES game for a single month, and again, charge you $$ a month for the privilege.

Just shows where they're head is at: namely that they still think they are a raging success and masses of people will buy whatever they are selling at any price, which is the same mistake they made with the WiiU. The Wii was successful not because of some gimmicky controller, but because it offered a unique experience (showcased by the likes of Wii Sports), and offered relatively good value; i.e. $249 with a pack in game while the competition was still in the $399 to $499 range.

While it is possible Nintendo may be able to turn things around and make the Switch a success, they are clearly trying to fleece their early adopters for every cent, which in the long run will only mean lower sales > harder to maintain third party support > less games > lower sales... they are heading for a vicious cycle.

Also, while hard core fans may say Nintendo operates in its own (little) world, in the real world all Sony / Microsoft have to do is offer a pack in first party game, slight price drop, and / or a free 3 to 6 month premium subscription to tip the value equation heavily in their favour come March 3, Christmas, Black Friday, etc.

Nintendo has a huge uphill battle ahead of it, and unless they get a serious attitude adjustment (like Sony did with the PS3, and MS did with XBone launch announcement) they aren't going to make it.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2017
    According to Reggie Fils-aime, the switch apparently wont have integrated voice chat like PS4/XBO. Voice chat will be through a phone(Android/iOS) app from Nintendo.

I guess it is cheaper to make a phone voip app rather than implementing it onto the Switch OS. However, Reggie's reason for using a phone app for voip makes no sense to me. If you are going out with your switch, you will be playing locally. And if you are traveling you will most likely get a good pair of headsets, not some phone earbuds. They are really trying to cut as many corners as possible. I'm Still looking forward to seeing upcoming games.

According to Reggie Fils-aime, the switch apparently wont have integrated voice chat like PS4/XBO. Voice chat will be through a phone(Android/iOS) app from Nintendo.

I guess it is cheaper to make a phone voip app rather than implementing it onto the Switch OS. However, Reggie's reason for using a phone app for voip makes no sense to me. If you are going out with your switch, you will be playing locally. And if you are traveling you will most likely get a good pair of headsets, not some phone earbuds.

They are really trying to cut as many corners as possible. I'm Still looking forward to seeing upcoming games.

It's just a terrible idea.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    i love their games an really wanted play them again but not like this. i rather them faded away an sell their IP's then keep these gimmicks " great ideas " an nickel an dimes us saying we just lack vision for a better future.

i don't think graphics are a big thing i still love cheap low budget games but what lot people gloss over when people whine they want more power is it does more then just graphics, it opens worlds of possibility on what you can do, if they really can max out an make great games with old tech what could they do with better tech it?

not only would it give more freedom to third party's it give them incentive to make exclusives games for them. i hope it does flop, or every 4-5 years will look forward to a new more bizarre gimmick, paywall an old tech since hey you buy it anyway.

I guess it is cheaper to make a phone voip app rather than implementing it onto the Switch OS. However, Reggie's reason for using a phone app for voip makes no sense to me. If you are going out with your switch, you will be playing locally. And if you are traveling you will most likely get a good pair of headsets, not some phone earbuds. They are really trying to cut as many corners as possible. I'm Still looking forward to seeing upcoming games.

That's a good point... how the f*** do you use headphones and voice chat at the same time... two sets of headphones and 1 bud in each ear? Or are you supposed to 'Switch' (sorry, couldn't help it).
    As for being 'elegant'... I guess they've never heard of a built-in mic (or headphones with a mic), and / or an OS capable of doing more than 1 thing at a time and displaying an overlay (i.e. like PS4, Xbox, and Steam).
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I won't buy it, nor even care about it.
    The way the market will respond to this is simply release much more powerful tablets and more gaming choice, along with the ability to self publish titles, and with a little more integration, Nintendo will be forced to change or bite the dust.

Its not that I don't like Nintendo, far from it..
    I grew up liking Nintendo.
    However, they became too kiddyish not just for me...

I am a frequent traveler and end up in Airports a lot...
    I usually sit and count the number of handhelds that people hold and its usually see preteens or younger using any platform by Nintendo. I can count on my left hand fingers all the people waiting at a terminal that I've visually seen with a Nintendo Handheld.

...and each time its a person playing a Nintendo Handheld its usually Pokemon or Mario these days...

However, I always lose count at the sheer number of people playing games on their smart phones or ipads. Those people are everywhere like an army about to engage in Guerrilla Warfare against the conventional handheld....

I can't wait for Nintendo to spend millions to billions on their Advertisement and Media Manipulation Campaign to convince the world an undersold and utterly useless product outside of exclusive titles is an instant hit... you know... just like square pays Famitsu to mysteriously give Final Fantasy titles a 40 out 40 no matter how bad some of them may be....

It does not matter how great or lousy your game is.
    All what matters is having high reviews.
    I know people who will refuse to play any video game that rates below an 8 out of 10.

Grakulen said:

Torval said:

I really did want this system too, but there are few too many uncertainties and it's expensive.

I already have a WiiU and PS4. The next console will still be either a PS4 Pro or an XB1-S.

Point number 8 would definitely cut the prices on the console and accessories. They are 100% overpriced. Nintendo doesn't believe in loss leaders though. They want to profit from day one.

Which is ironic, because as Sony and MS (and Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.) have already figured out, you can make much greater profits over time by offering better value up front. Even if they didn't want to make a direct loss, they could have at least offered better value; e.g. I can't believe it would cost them more than a few cents (maybe dollars if you count 'lost income'*) per unit to include something like 1-2-Switch, or even Arms, as a pre-installed digital game.

* Nintendo made a big show of how the Switch was a social console, and you could 'share the joy', but it's hard to believe there are many people willing to fork out an extra US $50 / $60 (or $110 for both) for what look like little more than polished tech demos, especially given all the AAA games launching for other platforms around the same time, and at the same price.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

acidblood said:

- Didn't include something like 1-2-Switch; which would have cost them next to nothing to include as a digital game.

- Set an RRP of US $50 for 1-2-Switch and $60 for Arms, when third party games like Rime and Minecraft Story Mode are $30.

- Want people to use a 'smart device' for voice chat, and charge them $$ a month for the 'privilege'.

- Will basically only 'lend' you a NES / SNES game for a single month, and again, charge you $$ a month for the privilege.

Just shows where they're head is at: namely that they still think they are a raging success and masses of people will buy whatever they are selling at any price, which is the same mistake they made with the WiiU. The Wii was successful not because of some gimmicky controller, but because it offered a unique experience (showcased by the likes of Wii Sports), and offered relatively good value; i.e. $249 with a pack in game while the competition was still in the $399 to $499 range.

While it is possible Nintendo may be able to turn things around and make the Switch a success, they are clearly trying to fleece their early adopters for every cent, which in the long run will only mean lower sales > harder to maintain third party support > less games > lower sales... they are heading for a vicious cycle.

Also, while hard core fans may say Nintendo operates in its own (little) world, in the real world all Sony / Microsoft have to do is offer a pack in first party game, slight price drop, and / or a free 3 to 6 month premium subscription to tip the value equation heavily in their favour come March 3, Christmas, Black Friday, etc.

Nintendo has a huge uphill battle ahead of it, and unless they get a serious attitude adjustment (like Sony did with the PS3, and MS did with XBone launch announcement) they aren't going to make it.

This is pretty much how I see it.  I think Nintendo doesn't truly understand what made the Wii so successful.  People want value for their money and the Wii delivered that.  But then people found out they had to buy their Virtual Console games all over again on the Wii U.  How fucking stupid do they think their customers are?!!

Nintendo has for a long time had a very strong brand to market but they're at great risk of damaging their reputation with their current trajectory.  I think their judgment has gone to shit.  At this point if they announced the Virtual Boy 2 this Summer, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.

You joke about the Virtual Boy 2, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I wouldn't be surprised either. With VR in its infancy, but on the cusp of either taking off or failing, it would be just like the current Nintendo to release a "mobile" VR headset.

Although, Pokemon Go in VR might be kinda cool . . . until I got hit by a car from the lag.

wanderica said:

acidblood said:

This is pretty much how I see it.  I think Nintendo doesn't truly understand what made the Wii so successful.  People want value for their money and the Wii delivered that.  But then people found out they had to buy their Virtual Console games all over again on the Wii U.  How fucking stupid do they think their customers are?!!

Nintendo has for a long time had a very strong brand to market but they're at great risk of damaging their reputation with their current trajectory.  I think their judgment has gone to shit.  At this point if they announced the Virtual Boy 2 this Summer, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.

You joke about the Virtual Boy 2, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I wouldn't be surprised either. With VR in its infancy, but on the cusp of either taking off or failing, it would be just like the current Nintendo to release a "mobile" VR headset.

Although, Pokemon Go in VR might be kinda cool . . . until I got hit by a car from the lag.

They hold patents for a mount to strap the Switch to your face.