Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan Exiles - The Inside Story on Official & Private Servers - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageConan Exiles - The Inside Story on Official & Private Servers - MMORPG.com

Last week, Funcom let out the first details about Conan Exiles and how both private and official servers would function as well as released some of the first information about how players can "rent" server space for the game. We had the opportunity to send in a few questions to learn more. See what Community Manager Jens Erik Vaaler had to say.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    PVE server, with no reset, I'm in.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    This game is starting to sound pretty good. Did they say anything about transferring characters to different servers?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639

Forgrimm said:

There will be resets, regardless of what the devs are saying right now. There is no way around it. The resets in these types of games are mandatory, especially on a PVE server. With no PVP the only thing to do is build, building WILL cause server lag and the servers will need to wipe. This has played out in every single game of this genre, without exception.

These devs need to stop pretending that there wont be forced map wipes.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

This game is starting to sound pretty good. Did they say anything about transferring characters to different servers?

Even better, a system that allows guilds/factions to move from server to server battling for resources and/or beer wenches!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I was wondering about the PVE in this game considering that there are pure PVE servers. I have many questions for which I believe the answers are not yet available.

What PVE activities are going to be in this game?
    Are they going to be sufficient to offer long term entertainment to PVE players?
    Are they even supposed to provide long term entertainment given that it is a survival game and not an MMO/ MMORPG.
    How long does it take to have a character that is "capped" in terms of progression (gear, level, skills, talents, etc.)?

Imagine that you are a player who has played on a PVE server for 2-3 months. Do you still have things to achieve, ways to progress further if you do not want to create "alts"?

Anyway, good news about the game. Looks interesting.

I feel like you, and many others, dont truly understand these types of games. I am very sorry if that comes out sounding rude, it is not meant to be I just see questions that imply a misunderstanding of what this game is.

These survival games focus on a very small number of gameplay elements. You will gather resources for crafting and building. You can capture/tame npc's to work for you or grant access to new crafting recipes. And you can pvp. Thats basically it. There are no real PVE gameplay elements outside of killing animals, gathering resources and building. No dungeons or group content, no quests or objectives.

These games focus almost entirely on building a base/city and gathering resources to attack other peoples base/city. PVE servers will be the worst off since with no pvp there is no way to remove other players structures and continued building (the only thing to do on a pve server) will increase the lag on the server forcing short wipe periods.

It is important that people understand what will go on in this game and not build up ideas in their heads that in no way match reality.

Amjoco said:

Even better, a system that allows guilds/factions to move from server to server battling for resources and/or beer wenches!

This is how ARK works, and it is horrible. Alpha tribes (tribes of fully leveled and geared players) can transfer in between servers and absolutely lay waste to everything that anyone has built on a server. You can literally come back after a few hours away and find everything you have built and worked for gone, and the Alpha tribe has simply moved on to another server to do the same.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'm hyped, only downfall for me is the tiny server pops as a hardcore pvper I'll probably get bored fairly quickly having to search miles of desert for other exiles to slaughter, I mean negotiate with =) . Hopefully they see the appeal this game has to open world pvpers and create a split off type of pvp server with significantly increased server pops eventually.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

Alomar said:

I'm hyped, only downfall for me is the tiny server pops as a hardcore pvper I'll probably get bored fairly quickly having to search miles of desert for other exiles to slaughter, I mean negotiate with =) . Hopefully they see the appeal this game has to open world pvpers and create a split off type of pvp server with significantly increased server pops eventually.

Im sure they woudl like to increase caps on population but really has to do with the tech. Lets be honest people want it all they want the best graphics they want high pop servers etc. There are limitations to what the server and computers can handle. THey would raise pop then people will complain about lag etc, its a hard line to walk to satisfy everyone
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    When Devs start stringing adverbs together like "definitely fairly", or start using excess words like "afresh", you know they are doing nothing but blowing smoke up your ass.
  • KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

Forgrimm said:

There will be resets, regardless of what the devs are saying right now. There is no way around it. The resets in these types of games are mandatory, especially on a PVE server. With no PVP the only thing to do is build, building WILL cause server lag and the servers will need to wipe. This has played out in every single game of this genre, without exception.

I think they mean no scheduled/annual resets. Resets for code changes and balanced are inevitable.

Brrrflp!

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited January 2017
    I no longer follow games as closely as when i was younger, but from what I've seen IMO the problem is that the game is probably designed around those 30 days resets. And to me it looks like a short time for enjoyable/meaningful impact on the world. Something like 3 to 6 months would have been better to design around.
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

Nikaas said:

I no longer follow games as closely as when i was younger, but from what I've seen IMO the problem is that the game is probably designed around those 30 days resets. And to me it looks like a short time for enjoyable/meaningful impact on the world. Something like 3 to 6 months would have been better to design around.

I find the 30 day reset weird too. Although for me 30 days of gametime might be enough to enjoy a playtrhough, if you can call it that, the problem would be being there the day it resets, if you lose a week it's already 25% less time to progress than the rest of the players you compete with.

Are they going to have different servers reset each week maybe? So to let players chose where to play based on when they can join.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    @ Nikaas & some-clueless-guy

They said they are going to add servers that don't reset in this thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/conan-exiles/news/player-feedback-integral-to-new-pvp-pve-and-reset-rules-1000042858

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Forgrimm said:

This is highly untrue. Most of these games rely on a decay system and unless you maintain all your builds it is highly unlikely that there will ever be an overbuilding, not to mention that most of these games never do full wipes at all.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Forgrimm said:

This is highly untrue. Most of these games rely on a decay system and unless you maintain all your builds it is highly unlikely that there will ever be an overbuilding, not to mention that most of these games never do full wipes at all.

There is a decay system in CE. There is also a high level of wear on items. There are also purges in the form of NPC tribes attacking settlements. So PvE servers will not be all rainbows and roses. Lots of people talk about lag, but with a single player mode and a 70 player pop limit, it's hard to imagine this is really going to be a problem.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Fools! This is Funcom. You have not considered the .......LAG Factor....or the inexplicable unforeseen bug factor or the .. Hey Guess What.....We actually launched with a different build factor....I hope it launches flawlessly... If it does and everyone here is ecstatic about it, I'll happily jump in and give the game a try.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788
    cant wait for the game to come out